Best you've seen live | Page 2 | BigFooty

Best you've seen live

Discussion in 'Cricket' started by BLUEALLTHRU, Mar 6, 2018.

1. PhatBoy

PhatBoy Brownlow Medallist

Geelong
    I’ve been to a fair bit of cricket (exclusively at the SCG) but unfortunately haven’t seen a lot of remarkable performances. Younis Khan two summers ago stands out a bit, I saw the tail end of tendulkar’s 248*, and I guess watching a little bit of Darren Bravo is as close as I’ve come to seeing Lara.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Partridge

Partridge Hall of Famer

Geelong
    I've watched that clip a couple of times now. One word keeps coming to mind - TIME. He seems to have a ridiculous amount of time to play the ball. How comfortable he is playing back to Lillee and effortlessly putting him, well, pretty much anywhere. I'm co-nvinced now completely.

In one of Alan McGilvray's books (so mid-1980s) he had a chapter on how often he'd been asked who was the best batsman or bowler he'd seen. I remember being surprised that he'd nominated Barry Richards as the one guy he thought could have seriously challenged Bradman. He wrote he was closer to that extra bit of time than anyone he'd seen bar Bradman. Now I've seen that footage, I would say, yep.

As I never saw him, I'd nominate Lara and Viv Richards as my two best. Viv I think was the most destructive, and when he was on, just unstoppable. But even Michael Holding said he did get bored, which is why he only reached 200 three times in tests (and two of those were in his early years). Lara perhaps not quite so intimidating, but more hungry for big scores, and when his brain was plugged in (as Ian Chappell has said), he had a certainty about his scoring. He rarely lofted the ball unless he was using his feet to spinners, and his placement was always superb.

BLUEALLTHRU and TheWoodenSlug like this.
  3. Carbine Chaos

Carbine Chaos Jubilant Masto

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Everton, Delhi, Perth
    Hard to split between Amla and ABDV, was there at the WACA for their big partnership a few years back.

Watching live I'd say Amla shaded him. Everything he played that day was just pure class.

G Mus and PhatBoy like this.
  4. Adelaide Hawk

Adelaide Hawk Hall of Famer

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    Norwood
    Let's face it, if you're being compared with Lara or Viv, you're in pretty good company.

One thing to consider when comparing Lara and Viv is the strengths of the West Indian bowling attacks at the time they played. I can't recall who said this, but the feeling is Viv could have scored more runs than he did, but the West Indies didn't need a lot of runs to win a Test match. Viv would be more attacking early and more likely to get out, and when he did make runs (150, etc), the Windies generally already had enough runs. Lara needed to dig in and get as many as possible to give them any chance of victory. Viv was brutal, I loved the way he would pull quick bowlers on the front foot, but if you prefer the aesthetics, Lara would get my nod. Would be nice to have a choice :)

Back to Barry Richards. I've posted this before, but I had the rare pleasure of bowling to him. You saw how easily he handled Dennis Lillee, you can imagine what he did my bowling :) I've posted this elsewhere, but Coca-Cola brought Richards and Greg Chappell to our school for a cricket clinic, and I was lucky to be chosen to bowl to them.

The thing that amazed me about Richards was how quickly he was able to pick up the line and length of the delivery. It felt as though the ball was still leaving my fingers and he was already moving into position to play his shot. His foot work was sublime. It was as though he almost had time to light a cigarette, take a puff, stamp it out, and then play his shot.

The entire idea from Richards was teach proper practice techniques, how to use the nets, and how to occupy the crease. He could teach contemporary players a thing or two.

5. JimDocker

JimDocker Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other Teams:
    Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
    It's a hard one.

I will go with Warne. The player that had the most influence on matches that I can recall.

When I think about the great players that I have seen, I feel pretty lucky.

Could have easily picked Viv Richards, Dennis Lillee, Michael Holding, Brian Lara, Sachin Tendulkar... they are all in the same stratosphere.

Special mention to David Gower. He is not in the same rarified air as those others, but so many overseas players struggled at the WACA. I was fortunate to see him score 2 test hundreds.

The first as a 21 year old when he scored 102 in a partnership of 158 with Geoff Boycott. The only time that England won a test at the WACA.

The second was 8 years later and he scored 136. His cover drive is probably my single favourite thing in cricket.

6. revo333

revo333 All Australian

Western Bulldogs
    'Whispering Death'

I loved his run up and action, so smooth and casual.

BLUEALLTHRU likes this.
  7. revo333

revo333 All Australian

Western Bulldogs
    Was that the series where Lillee was just starting and he was bowling thunder bolts and the batsman were jumping all over the place?

If so Tony Grieg said Sobers played one of the best innings he has seen during that series.

8. JimDocker

Fremantle
    Other Teams:
    I actually did see Sobers play live but only at a festival match after he had retired and don’t really remember it, I was very young.

BLUEALLTHRU likes this.
  9. Gough

Gough Moderator

Hawthorn
    I was about thirteen or fourteen and we went to the Les Favell testimonial match and Neil Harvey made twenty odd which was a pleasure to watch.

Partridge and JimDocker like this.
  10. Buzzasto DaSilva

Buzzasto DaSilva Premiership Player

GWS
    Other Teams:
    Islanders
    Left-field suggestion- Shane Bond. Strike rate of 28, and had incredible accuracy and consistency for a bowler of his speed. Was crippled by injuries, but he was absolutely dominant when he was fit.

11. JimDocker

Fremantle
    Other Teams:
    At his best, he was brilliant. His best did not last very long though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Buzzasto DaSilva

Buzzasto DaSilva Premiership Player

GWS
    Other Teams:
    Islanders
    He had a long career (2002 to 2010 at international level), but it was filled with gaps and time away from the game- which is very impressive in my opinion, as his remodeled action which relief more so on accuracy and seam than pace, was just as effective :thumbsu:

13. BLUEALLTHRU

BLUEALLTHRU Premiership Player

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    Aston Villa
    Really enjoyed reading this post, POTY for mine!

JimDocker likes this.