News Best22Under22

Remove this Banner Ad

Battle has had a good year but I'm not that surprised. He plays all over the shop so his numbers are up and down depending on his role for the week.

Ben Paton is the bigger snub from the Saints. He's beaten most small forwards in the comp this year.
Battle has really dominated some games. His best gets into the team. Agree we haven’t found a permanent role for him yet. Paton has shut down paplay, betts, c Cameron but shut down players probably don’t get recognition in this team. All a bit of fun.

Battle has really dominated some games. His best gets into the team. Agree we haven’t found a permanent role for him yet. Paton has shut down paplay, betts, c Cameron but shut down players probably don’t get recognition in this team. All a bit of fun.
His best matches a lot of the players in the squad but he hasn't played enough dominate games on the wing to warrant getting in ahead of most of the mids, and hasn't played enough games forward to have the goal numbers to compete with the other key forwards.

True, being a lockdown players is whats hurt Paton here because his football stacks up against all the backs in the squad.

His 2019 season isnt relevant. This is just about 2020.

Day is a defender so not relevant to whether Rozee had the forwards shortlist or not.

The Kings are 1 and 2 for goals in this age bracket so both are very deserving to be in the squad and if people vote just on this season like they are meant too, both should make the final 22.

Rankine and Rozee have similar numbers but Rankine kicked double the goals in 3 less games. His output isnt clearly ahead at all.
anyone who doesn't have the king brothers in the forward line are joking

anyone who doesn't have the king brothers in the forward line are joking
Exactly. It is meant to be voted on the 2020 season and both are well ahead in all the important stats for key forwards.

What really impressed me was Max has had more tackles inside 50 than any of the other forwards in the squad, and double more than any of the other key forwards. Not bad for someone whose 202cm.

Exactly. It is meant to be voted on the 2020 season and both are well ahead in all the important stats for key forwards.

What really impressed me was Max has had more tackles inside 50 than any of the other forwards in the squad, and double more than any of the other key forwards. Not bad for someone whose 202cm.
and has taken the most contested marks for ages 18-20

Is there some sort of qualification on games played for this? Because Rowell should still be in it based on the 4 games he strung together, which were more outstanding then anything others have done.

Is there some sort of qualification on games played for this? Because Rowell should still be in it based on the 4 games he strung together, which were more outstanding then anything others have done.

The club's youngsters make up one-fifth of the 40-man squad, which doesn't even feature last year's No.1 pick Matt Rowell due to an eligibility criterion which mandates that you must play a minimum of eight games to be selected.

Naughton is not in contention. He kicked 6 against Adelaide which was a massive outlier. He has only played 8 games for the year, the other 7 of which he has kicked 5 goals. No way he gets picked.

B: J Ridley - N Balta - J Lukosius
HB: L Baker - J Weitering - H Clark
C: B Smith - A Brayshaw - H McCluggage
HF: J Daicos - B King - S Powell-Pepper
F: G Miers - M King - Z Butters
R: S Darcy - S Bolton - A McGrath
I: S Walsh - J Simpkin - Z Bailey - J Berry

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having a look at the selected defenders, Scrimshaws position is pretty well represented with Ridley, Coffield and even Lukosius if you see him more as a tall HB right now.
Clark, Bowes and Day have also made the squad as HBF types so probably were competing with Scrimshaw as well.
For example statistically Scrimshaw and Clark are very similar but you can't fit everyone in.
Baker and Budarick have been picked as smalls. Balta, Whitening and Ballard as the KPP.

Who puts this group of 40 together, and do they try to pick it with some sort of balance like the AA squads?

lol. no Cerra.

Watch footy much?
Yes.
Although don't watch a huge number of Freo games

Who do you suggest I take out for him?
Obviously it's not all about stats but..

Cerra 17.5 disposals, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 2 goals, 4 goal assists

Compared with the guys I selected, he has the worst stats.

Mccluggage - 18.5 disposals, 3.5 marks, 2.5 tackles, 6 goals, 11 goal assists
Berry - 17.5 disposals, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 6 goals, 9 goal assists
Smith - 21.5 disposals, 1.5 marks, 2.7 tackles, 4 goals, 5 goal assists
Taranto - 19.5 disposals, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 4 goals, 2 goal assists
Walsh - 19.5 disposals, 4 marks, 2.5 tackles, 7 goals, 4 goal assists
Mcgrath - 22 disposals, 1.5 marks, 5 tackles, 0 goals, 3 goal assists
Simpkin - 20 disposals, 2.5 marks, 3.5 tackles, 6 goals, 3 goal assists
Brayshaw - 20 disposals, 3 marks, 5 tackles, 0 goals, 4 goal assists
Worpel - 19 disposals, 2.5 marks, 5.5 tackles, 2 goals, 3 goal assists

E
Perryman - 18.5 disposals, 4 marks, 1.5 tackles, 10 goals, 2 goal assists
Daicos - 17.5 disposals, 4 marks, 2.5 tackles, 10 goals, 1 goal assist

Taranto and Worpel have both been better, but could make an argument that Cerra has been similar to their level during the year.
Bit ridiculous to call me out like it was ridiculous that I consider other players.

Naughton is not in contention. He kicked 6 against Adelaide which was a massive outlier. He has only played 8 games for the year, the other 7 of which he has kicked 5 goals. No way he gets picked.

B: J Ridley - N Balta - J Lukosius
HB: L Baker - J Weitering - H Clark
C: B Smith - A Brayshaw - H McCluggage
HF: J Daicos - B King - S Powell-Pepper
F: G Miers - M King - Z Butters
R: S Darcy - S Bolton - A McGrath
I: S Walsh - J Simpkin - Z Bailey - J Berry
Can I ask your reasoning for Clark being picked ahead of Bowes?
They play a similar role in the backlines for their respective clubs

Bowes has had a better year statistically including key stats for a defender.
I've watched a couple of St Kilda's games but wouldn't say I was an expert on Clark's performance eye-wise.
Bowes was been excellent as an interceptor and play maker from the back half.
I'd favour Bowes.

KicksHandballsDisposalsDE%CP%MarksCMTacklesMetres gained
Bowes11.55.717.271%38%4.661.8300
Clark10.26.516.774.435%3.422.5219

ClearancesInterceptsTurnovers1%GoalsGoal assistsSI
Bowes1.16.43.91.9122.6
Clark1.54.53.71.1122.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back