News Best22Under22

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s also very interesting the none of the bottom 4 teams from this year are represented by any players.

Certainly doesn’t mean anything but it’s something.

Those teams certainly have players that are worthy, just not the hype for votes on this occasion (probably due to poor team performance.)

I mean, Jy Simpkin was eligible. He's had a better year that a number of players in that side. I'd also have Zurhaar in before Rankine too.

From Hawthorn, Scrimshaw, Day and Worpel would all be worthy inclusions. Scrimshaw has arguably been the best of the lot and didn't even make the squad somehow.

Confident Sholl will be in next year. Perhaps Schoenberg too.

Seen less of Sydney this year but what I've watched, Blakey and Rowbottom have done some nice things too.

They're both elite young talents. Mckay's averaged more goals across the journey, even when accounting for age. Naughton's managed a couple bags, which Mckay hasn't done.
But Mckay didn’t spend his first year playing full back. Might have affected the averages a bit

McKay averages more goals and marks than both Naughton and King despite playing in a worse side. Naughton kicked nearly half his goals in 1 game against the Crows when they were at their worst.
More to it then that IMO.

In his first year Max King has been the sole key forward (with either a resting ruck or a 3rd tall like Membery) in a top 6 side, which also lost 4 games by under a goal.

IMO managing as the lone KPF of a top 6 team gets you into the side. Yes McKay kicked one more goal in a couple less games. However, King was top 5 in the coleman up until about rd 12 or 13 (when he has hit a bit of a wall). King also has more contested marks and IMO, played a bigger role as a structural focal point in a more successful side.

Not saying McKay doesn't deserve to be in the convo. Just that there is more to the success of a young KPF then simply goals kicked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad that an actual ruckman was picked as ruck and Darcy got in. Brayshaw 100% deserves it. I can see arguments for/against Cerra but he was very influential in some of our wins. Doesn't get a high number of possessions but is very classy when he does. Kicked some key goals.

Which midfielder would come out of the team for Bolton though?

If it's based on this year only then maybe Taranto? But otherwise I can't see one.
Bolton has had a better year than every midfielder in that side except McCluggage and maybe McGrath.

He may well be leading the B&F of a top 4 side, or at least he will be in the top 3. He was nominated in the AFL MVP as one of our best three players alongside Dusty and Vlastuin.

So it's a very bizarre not to have him in there.

But Mckay didn’t spend his first year playing full back. Might have affected the averages a bit
I meant average year on year. Mckay's averaged more goals in his second (1.6 v 1.4) and equal in their third years (1.3 a piece). Naughton's obviously had to contend with shorter games this season, though he also kicked 6 of his 13 goals in the one game.

I didn't even know this was up for debate until today.
So did i. Gotta love the passion from the blues players though. In my eyes it isn't even close.

That isn't to say McKay isn't good, I think hes a damn good prospect. But Naughton is so much better.

Can we call this the Bontempelli 22 under 22? 5 appearances and 3 captaincies. Nobody will get near that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back