• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

mfcrox

Club Legend
Oct 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I had this argument with an old Hawthorn supporting mate many moons ago (whilst both players were still running around)... who was the better number one draft pick with the better career.

Nick Riewoldt OR Luke Hodge

He'd always revert back to premierships... I'd always revert to the better individual player.

So... both have retired years ago. Thoughts?

I had this argument with an old Hawthorn supporting mate many moons ago (whilst both players were still running around)... who was the better number one draft pick with the better career.

Nick Riewoldt OR Luke Hodge

He'd always revert back to premierships... I'd always revert to the better individual player.

So... both have retired years ago. Thoughts?

2 x Norm Smiths and 4 x Premierships vs some B & Fs.

Hodge for me because his leadership was instrumental in Hawthorn's success. He was a playing coach and he was a very good footballer.
Yep bang on.

Riewoldt won a position, Hodge established a dynasty. Put another way, if they played on each other I think Riewoldt takes the choccies 7/10 (which is huge because Hodge was pretty damn good at footy), and Hodge's team wins 9/10.

A player who makes their team mates better is gold. Riewoldt was not a visibly effective leader, Hodge is up there with Voss and Kernahan and Tony Shaw.

Riewoldt seems a nicer footballer, more honourable (although he tried to cover up for the dog Milne and IIRC was part of the schoolgirl sex ring so actually he's a disgusting person) and Hodge was the sort of irritating sniper I loathe, not even a straight up thug just a sniping kidney puncher, but as much as I dislike him as a player (off field apparently decent fella) he's a far "winninger" player.

If you want a nice team photo and some individual awards go with the blonde, if you like flags take Hodge.

Riewoldt easily the better player.

Would prefer Hodge on my team any day of the week. Reiwoldt was a reasonable player, but tended to fall to pieces under big game pressure. Plus he was a lousy kick.

Hodge on the other hand ate pressure for breakfast, had a bit of mongrel about him, which Reiwoldt lacked, and unlike Reiwoldt, could actually kick the ball.

Last edited:
Riewoldt easily the better player.
Is he? Hodge could play as an intercepting defender one week, lock down on someone another week, go in to the middle and dominate the next week, play up forward and kick 4 the next week. He is one of the most versatile players we have seen and genuinely could play anywhere and be BOG.

Nick is one of my all time favourite players and i loved watching him in the late 2000's. I am fine with someone saying he is better (although i disagree) but to suggest he is easily better is silly.

Is he? Hodge could play as an intercepting defender one week, lock down on someone another week, go in to the middle and dominate the next week, play up forward and kick 4 the next week. He is one of the most versatile players we have seen and genuinely could play anywhere and be BOG.

Nick is one of my all time favourite players and i loved watching him in the late 2000's. I am fine with someone saying he is better (although i disagree) but to suggest he is easily better is silly.

Got an injury ravaged list into two Grand Finals. Ask WB about Rielwoldt in finals. Nick would have dominated CHB or wing but why would you move a bloke dominating the hardest position on the ground to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got an injury ravaged list into two Grand Finals. Ask WB about Rielwoldt in finals. Nick would have dominated CHB or wing but why would you move a bloke dominating the hardest position on the ground to play.
I mean i can do the same with Hodge, he could have played as a permanent midfielder and racked up way more individual accolades.

Why would you do that when you can use him anywhere that is needed and he can excel. They are both elite talents that accomplished a ton. I challenge the fact that Nick is a significantly better player strongly.

I mean i can do the same with Hodge, he could have played as a permanent midfielder and racked up way more individual accolades.

Why would you do that when you can use him anywhere that is needed and he can excel. They are both elite talents that accomplished a ton. I challenge the fact that Nick is a significantly better player strongly.
Yeah its a point well worth debating and you can slice it a number of ways. Neither is "easily better" as a player, although Hodge is easily better as a leader.

I took the position Reiwoldt played key forward, and if Hodge played on him as a defender (a role he played a third of his career maybe) I think the Saint would beat him most weeks.

Hodge slower but more versatile. Permanent mid? Maybe (or maybe not not in the modern game) but its hardly a settled question.

I stand by the position whatever their individual ability Hodge's ability to lead and make team mates better makes him the better choice.

Yeah its a point well worth debating and you can slice it a number of ways. Neither is "easily better" as a player, although Hodge is easily better as a leader.

I took the position Reiwoldt played key forward, and if Hodge played on him as a defender (a role he played a third of his career maybe) I think the Saint would beat him most weeks.

Hodge slower but more versatile. Permanent mid? Maybe (or maybe not not in the modern game) but its hardly a settled question.

I stand by the position whatever their individual ability Hodge's ability to lead and make team mates better makes him the better choice.

Interested in how you can judge who lead better.

Interested in how you can judge who lead better.
Well I pull my conclusions out of my arse of course.

I recall as a young bloke the Shaw brothers captaining Collingwood. You could hear them yelling directions out on the pitch.

I have seen Kernahan and Hodge and (toward the end of his career) Pendles become on field coaches.

In part its about having a big personality bit it's not altogether that: Buckley and Dysty and Hird were exemplary leaders who could impose themselves and set a great example for teammates but were not great captains. Carey too.

I've seen Tony Shaw give a dumb team mate a spray, a shy player a boost, calm down the psychos (and rev them too), he seemed to get good footy out of team mates or help them produce it. I felt from less observation Hodge was similar.

Riewoldt was all brilliant example. It's hard to lead from the front half as the ball comes to you, and to his credit he was a great example for preparation and relentless application. I don't recall seeing the same tuned in leadership though.

Well I pull my conclusions out of my arse of course.

I recall as a young bloke the Shaw brothers captaining Collingwood. You could hear them yelling directions out on the pitch.

I have seen Kernahan and Hodge and (toward the end of his career) Pendles become on field coaches.

In part its about having a big personality bit it's not altogether that: Buckley and Dysty and Hird were exemplary leaders who could impose themselves and set a great example for teammates but were not great captains. Carey too.

I've seen Tony Shaw give a dumb team mate a spray, a shy player a boost, calm down the psychos (and rev them too), he seemed to get good footy out of team mates or help them produce it. I felt from less observation Hodge was similar.

Riewoldt was all brilliant example. It's hard to lead from the front half as the ball comes to you, and to his credit he was a great example for preparation and relentless application. I don't recall seeing the same tuned in leadership though.

So in other words you don’t know. Great summary it’s easier in front of the ball as it just comes to you. You can’t be serious.

Didn't really perform though in grand finals , 3 goals in 3 grand finals , similar goal a game return to Hodge who played mid and defence in Grannys

Maybe have another read? If you're having trouble with the bigger words there's online dictionaries.

Your summary is just aimless though.

You saw a couple of blokes waving and pointing so the must be good leaders.

Your summary is just aimless though.

You saw a couple of blokes waving and pointing so the must be good leaders.
Yep. You've observed Riewoldt is "ridiculously good" (insightful?), failed in several grand finals, and coodabeen a great CHB based on...being blonde maybe?...therefore he is better.

There's a few aspects to this worth discussing. I encourage you to get involved. Tell me how Riewoldt led St Kilda into those Grand Finals. My memory is Ross Lyon created quagmires to drown other side's talent, "unfootball", and Riewoldt was a cog in a pretty ugly machine. My memory of Hodge in 2008 was irritatingly smart play, mixing niggle, sniping and superb accurate dinky possession kicking.

Yep. You've observed Riewoldt is "ridiculously good" (insightful?), failed in several grand finals, and coodabeen a great CHB based on...being blonde maybe?...therefore he is better.

There's a few aspects to this worth discussing. I encourage you to get involved. Tell me how Riewoldt led St Kilda into those Grand Finals. My memory is Ross Lyon created quagmires to drown other side's talent, "unfootball", and Riewoldt was a cog in a pretty ugly machine. My memory of Hodge in 2008 was irritatingly smart play, mixing niggle, sniping and superb accurate dinky possession kicking.

Failed in Grand Finals really?

Played in torrential rain in one GF in 2009 13 touches 5 marks 1 goal often triple teamed including Scarlett. The week before 18 disposals 11 marks.

2010 Playing injured and losing his full forward early 13 disposals 8 marks 2 goals including two of the biggest marks of the game. Prelim 21 disposals 7 marks 3 goals.

Yep no good.

Failed in Grand Finals really?

Played in torrential rain in one GF in 2009 13 touches 5 marks 1 goal often triple teamed including Scarlett. The week before 18 disposals 11 marks.

2010 Playing injured and losing his full forward early 13 disposals 8 marks 2 goals including two of the biggest marks of the game. Prelim 21 disposals 7 marks 3 goals.

Yep no good.
You said "led". Elaborate pls.

Got an injury ravaged list into two Grand Finals.
Haha. No side used fewer players in 09 than St Kilda. Hayes missed 3 games, Milne 2, Ball 5. Pretty much everyone else played 24-25.

Riewoldt and Kosi missed 16 games between them in 2010. Saints used equal fewest players with the Bulldogs.

Back