Better actor?

Better actor?

• Al Pacino

• Daniel Day-Lewis

• Robert De Niro

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

source.gif

DDL and by a fair margin too. Lincoln, My Left Foot & There Will be Blood are characters that require a variety and range that the other two can't command.

Pacino a clear second form De Niro, but I do love all 3.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably De Niro. But I enjoy watching Nicholson more than these guys.

It was great to see DDL win best actor for his portrayal as Reynold Woodcock in Phantom Thread. So so good.

I think DiCaprio has surpassed Pacino, and he's put in more great performances than DDL (who by his own choice doesn't act very often).

DeNiro was fantastic up until around 2000, and would still have a few more runs on the board than Leonardo, IMO.
No

Christopher Plummer

Depends. Daniel Day-Lewis is probably the most versatile and has done the most "stunt" acting (ie, My Left Foot).

De Niro has given more enjoyable performances imo.

Not really sure what to make of Pacino. I think an issue I have with his work is that his bad stuff is, unlike De Niro, so similar to his good stuff (he's self-parodying in stuff like Dick Tracy) that I kind of see the bad stuff in the good stuff if that makes sense. De Niro's paycheck roles are different enough that I'm not being reminded of Dirty Grandpa when I'm watching Taxi Driver.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends. Daniel Day-Lewis is probably the most versatile and has done the most "stunt" acting (ie, My Left Foot).

De Niro has given more enjoyable performances imo.

Not really sure what to make of Pacino. I think an issue I have with his work is that his bad stuff is, unlike De Niro, so similar to his good stuff (he's self-parodying in stuff like Dick Tracy) that I kind of see the bad stuff in the good stuff if that makes sense. De Niro's paycheck roles are different enough that I'm not being reminded of Dirty Grandpa when I'm watching Taxi Driver.
My opinion as well.

I think De Niro has the finest body of work, up until something like Ronin he was superb, too many exceptional performances for most other actors to compete with, but the choosy Day-Lewis has maintained must-see status his entire career and therefore might be the most dependable and versatile. Pacino's self-parody (not unlike Jack Nicholson at times) certainly has a more harmful effect on his great stuff, etc. De Niro's paycheck roles don't have the same effect. Whenever you see Pacino in popcorn films, it tends to be a casting punchline.

Among living actors, Pacino is more a best of the rest type, like a Hackman, Keitel, Hopkins, etc.

DiCaprio is a great lead, maybe a top 50 actor, but since the early 00s he could be described as consistently excellent with proven directors, a careerist, he rarely punctures through with astonishing performances, rarely plays a supporting part and rarely takes a chance on a less certain, more undergroundy project. More a Hollywood lead (which is fine, I've always enjoyed him). An actor like Joaquin Phoenix has tended to be more interesting, and someone like Denzel Washington has tended to elevate anything he is in through sheer prowess.

Daniel Day-Lewis for me, my favourite role of his is Bill the Butcher in Gangs of New York, amazing the way he transforms himself into different characters.

De Niro is a great actor too but he has tarnished his legacy the last 20 years by starring in some lame comedies while Pacino is hit and miss with his roles.

Pacino's performance in 'Angel's in America' was bloody fantastic.

All 3 are amazing but i guess DDL because he made less crappier flicks

I've never really vibed with DDL. Whenever I see him on the screen, there's just so much ACTING going on that I get taken out of the films too much.

To me, he's the acting equivalent of an overly technical prog rock band: I can appreciate the skill involved, but I don't really feel anything.

I've never really vibed with DDL. Whenever I see him on the screen, there's just so much ACTING going on that I get taken out of the films too much.

To me, he's the acting equivalent of an overly technical prog rock band: I can appreciate the skill involved, but I don't really feel anything.
I can dig that, a bit like a Streep he certainly isn't for everyone. But a bit like Denzel, he elevates virtually every film he has been in.

By the way, my top 10 films which feature Daniel Day-Lewis
1. There Will Be Blood
2. The Unbearable Lightness of Being
3. The Phantom Thread
4. My Left Foot
5. Lincoln
6. In the Name of the Father
7. The Age of Innocence
8. My Beautiful Laundrette
9. The Crucible
10. The Boxer

Didn't include his brief appearance in Gandhi. Don't particularly rate Gangs, and grew up hating Last of the Mohicans (mum's favourite film), even if I enjoy both directors.

Back