Better at which club..

Remove this Banner Ad

Who got the best of Mark "Jacko" Jackson? Melbourne, Geelong or South Fremantle?

Channel 7 BT > Collingwood BT > Richmond BT

North JB > Channel 9 JB > SA JB > WA JB

Eddie Betts is a good one because he bucks the trend. Played nearly 100 more games at Carlton (so far, gap gets smaller over time) but his best at Adelaide is better than his best at Carlton.

Paul Hudson was probably better as a Hawk overall but I remember him as a Bulldog. No one remembers him as a Tiger.

Fat Scott Cummings played 128 games but didn't crack 50 with anyone. His best seasons were always his first anywhere. Had he moved clubs each year he'd be a 1000 goal kicker.:D

There's a lot of Hawthorn masturbation over Shaun Burgoyne but he is pretty close to 50/50. Was a jet at Port and he's been going that long it seems to be overlooked a bit.

Adelaide Vince > Melbourne Vince.
In his first three seasons at Melbourne he polled 26 Brownlow votes. He had 14 votes in 2015 alone - his best ever total.

Over eight seasons at Adelaide he polled 30 votes, merely four more than his time at Melbourne with an additional five seasons. It remains to be seen how many he gets this year but you'd back him to beat or get closer to his Adelaide total playing half the amount of seasons.

Average disposals have been 24.1 (2014), 24.7 (2015) and 25.4 (2016). He only bettered these totals in one year at Adelaide in 2009.

He only bettered his lowest average tackle count at Melbourne (3.1) in his final year at Adelaide (3.2). His 2015 average of 4.8 is far and away his best ever.

His clearance averages in 2014 and 2015 were the best of his career.

Likewise, his contested possession average of 10.2 in 2015 is the best of his career.

He has played some genuinely dominant games in a Melbourne jumper. He usually saved his best for Collingwood as Pies fans will attest to.

To top off all of the above, he was a deserved BnF winner in 2015.

Whatever the argument that he was better at Adelaide, it would want to be a good one. He may be slowing down now but he's been an outstanding recruit for Melbourne.

Mattner - Adelaide or Sydney?
A. Daniher - Sydney/Essendon?
Jolly - Melbourne/Sydney/Collingwood?
Paul Williams - Collingwood/Sydney?

Mattner adel > sydney
Jolly swans > jolly pies > jolly dees
Williams is close and not sure about daniher

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you including his formative seasons in those calculations? Naturally they would bring his numbers down.

Buddy from 2008 to 2012 (inclusive) were his best years to date. Averaged higher possessions and goals p/g than any of his seasons at Sydney (not including 2009).

Exactly. Sydney received him at the peak of his power with his career established. His numbers with the Hawks are split between his early years building and his latter years absolutely dominating.

He's been a gun still at the Swans, absolutely no doubt..... but his absolute best was still with the Hawks.

It's actually a genuine question. Given Roos is a champion of Fitzroy I'm not convinced your response is serious.

To help clarify your memory here is a basic snapshot from his wikipedia page to clarify any doubt.

Years Club Games (Goals)
1982–1994
Fitzroy 269 (270)
Years Club Games (Goals)
1995–1998
Sydney 87 (19)
Sydney certainly got their money's worth out of a 30+yo. Probably one of the most successful moves for that age player.

But there's no doubt he was far better at Fitzroy for far longer. It's not even close.

Plus 5X AA in the backline. Not bad for a tall wingman.

In his first three seasons at Melbourne he polled 26 Brownlow votes. He had 14 votes in 2015 alone - his best ever total.

Over eight seasons at Adelaide he polled 30 votes, merely four more than his time at Melbourne with an additional five seasons. It remains to be seen how many he gets this year but you'd back him to beat or get closer to his Adelaide total playing half the amount of seasons.

Average disposals have been 24.1 (2014), 24.7 (2015) and 25.4 (2016). He only bettered these totals in one year at Adelaide in 2009.

He only bettered his lowest average tackle count at Melbourne (3.1) in his final year at Adelaide (3.2). His 2015 average of 4.8 is far and away his best ever.

His clearance averages in 2014 and 2015 were the best of his career.

Likewise, his contested possession average of 10.2 in 2015 is the best of his career.

He has played some genuinely dominant games in a Melbourne jumper. He usually saved his best for Collingwood as Pies fans will attest to.

To top off all of the above, he was a deserved BnF winner in 2015.

Whatever the argument that he was better at Adelaide, it would want to be a good one. He may be slowing down now but he's been an outstanding recruit for Melbourne.

That's a lot of words.

Vince won the Crows B&F in 2009 when they were a good team. He also played 50 more games in Adelaide than at Melbourne and that sways it for mine in a case where it's 50/50. He won a B&F at Melbourne too but they weren't much chop when he did. Before that it was Brent Moloney then Nathan Jones won 3 in a row wasn't it? That wouldn't happen at a club playing finals.

I don't put a lot of stock in stats from 2015/16 vs 2009/10. He had 90 clearances in 2009 for example out of 796, Adelaide's total from 24 games. He had 112 in 2015 out of 833, Melbourne's total from 22. In 2015 there were 15,990 clearances won in the whole season. In 2009 that was 12,616. It's about 9 or 10 more more per game factoring in that we have 18 teams now. In 2009 4 ruckmen topped 500 hitouts for the season. There's 5 games left in 2017 and we've already had 8 pass that mark, two of the best missed half the year and another 4 or 5 will get there. There's more stoppages than there were even 6-7 years ago and stats have gone up accordingly. Lachie Neale got 737 touches last year which is unreal. Tom Mitchell will probably piss that in with a round or two to go. Those two are handy footballers but hardly the best ever.

Vince has been good for Melbourne, but I think in terms of impact on games his best was at the Crows. Like a few others his best 'pockets' of games have been shared across two or more clubs. Was great at the Crows, dropped off a bit then regained form at the Dees.

Who got the best of Mark "Jacko" Jackson? Melbourne, Geelong or South Fremantle?
Interesting one. I have to admit I don't know much about Jackson's South Fremantle days.

I think within the VFL, he played his best football at Melbourne kicking 76 goals in both 1981 and 1982 when the team was languishing on the bottom.

He did have a good year for Geelong in 1984 as well.

That's a lot of words.

Vince won the Crows B&F in 2009 when they were a good team. He also played 50 more games in Adelaide than at Melbourne and that sways it for mine in a case where it's 50/50. He won a B&F at Melbourne too but they weren't much chop when he did. Before that it was Brent Moloney then Nathan Jones won 3 in a row wasn't it? That wouldn't happen at a club playing finals.

I don't put a lot of stock in stats from 2015/16 vs 2009/10. He had 90 clearances in 2009 for example out of 796, Adelaide's total from 24 games. He had 112 in 2015 out of 833, Melbourne's total from 22. In 2015 there were 15,990 clearances won in the whole season. In 2009 that was 12,616. It's about 9 or 10 more more per game factoring in that we have 18 teams now. In 2009 4 ruckmen topped 500 hitouts for the season. There's 5 games left in 2017 and we've already had 8 pass that mark, two of the best missed half the year and another 4 or 5 will get there. There's more stoppages than there were even 6-7 years ago and stats have gone up accordingly. Lachie Neale got 737 touches last year which is unreal. Tom Mitchell will probably piss that in with a round or two to go. Those two are handy footballers but hardly the best ever.

Vince has been good for Melbourne, but I think in terms of impact on games his best was at the Crows. Like a few others his best 'pockets' of games have been shared across two or more clubs. Was great at the Crows, dropped off a bit then regained form at the Dees.
Shrugging off a BnF in a non-finals side is a convenient view to take for mine. In terms of impact on results, Vince was outstanding in 2015.

You could mount an argument that his 2009 was better than his 2015, however if you take away his 2009, his stats at the Crows don't exactly represent a model of consistency. They do over his first three seasons at Melbourne.

My memory of Vince at the Crows is of a flashier player. He was asked to provide a bit more midfield grunt and leadership at Melbourne. The higher duties brought the best out of him, I feel. But I concede it's a close call.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back