Streaming Better Call Saul - ** Contains Spoliers! **

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Pacman Carney

All Australian
Aug 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oh my good god what an episode. They 100% knew there would be a mid season break and directed accordingly. Masterful troll by Vince/Gould telling us not to get our hopes up as the 'break wasn't planned'.

WOW. Television making at its absolute finest.
The lead up, the compassion the viewer had started to gain for the character. Then BANG
Brilliant.

So I get why Jimmy hated Howard but why did Kim? She said herself HHM did good things for her.
I think the final straw was him trying to convince her that Jimmy was manipulating her. She doesn't want to be seen as someone else's pawn.

She said it herself, that she makes her own decisions. He insulted her deeply by suggesting otherwise.

That final scene was crazy intense, and maybe this is a bit harsh, but I feel a little critical of...

...Howard's death being at Lalo's hand feeling a little...unearned? It reminded me a bit of who killed the Night King in GoT. The plot lines never really converged, so it was a little 'wrong place at the wrong time', nothing more. That's likely what they were going for and this criticism is silly. :)

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I think the final straw was him trying to convince her that Jimmy was manipulating her. She doesn't want to be seen as someone else's pawn.

She said it herself, that she makes her own decisions. He insulted her deeply by suggesting otherwise.

That final scene was crazy intense, and maybe this is a bit harsh, but I feel a little critical of...

...Howard's death being at Lalo's hand feeling a little...unearned? It reminded me a bit of who killed the Night King in GoT. The plot lines never really converged, so it was a little 'wrong place at the wrong time', nothing more. That's likely what they were going for and this criticism is silly. :)
I think they're making Lalo's inevitable bad death more accepting to the viewers knowing he's taken out a sympathetic character (and possibly others).

Reckon the 'there are good deaths and bad deaths' comment by Bolsa is going to have significance when we go through the season again once it finishes. Nacho and Howard had 'good' deaths. A bullet to the head, gone as soon as the trigger pulled. What's in store for Lalo?

Festerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2019
///comet.repair.export
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PAFC Maggies SANFL, ASU Sun Devils
That episode really shook me. The ending had echoes of the ending of the final episode of the Sopranos in its sudden finality.

Jimmy and Kim's plan went off perfectly and then BAM.

Kim and Jimmy on the bed celebrating their win - Howard summed in up perfectly. They DO 'get off on it'

And despite the horror it was an episode not without its humour. Lalo peering out of the drain with binoculars for example. The scurrying cockroach reminding him of Kim's words about Jimmy.

But so long to wait for the final instalment now.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Report for what? Giving my views on the show. Holy f*** what is wrong with you people? Cant take actual criticisms. this isnt the "only post if you love better call saul thread". Maybe you guys should start your own thread if you want nothing but praise even if it aint deserved. I watched the episode just like you did. I have a right to post my honest opinion. If it has good things i post that. If it doesnt i post that too.

im sick of these posts harrassing people to have the same view as yourself. Its time to stop and accept that not everyone loves something just because you do. This desire for bubble think is wrong.

ps. Its just a tv show, why do you even care if someone else doesnt share the same thoughts on it as you?
There's having different views then there's the incessant crap you post weekly. What are you even doing watching it in the first place if you don't like it?

If you're sitting there watching a show you don't care for just so you can come on a forum to rag on it you've got some issues to sort out mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cm Perfect

Club Legend
Jul 11, 2004
Dorset, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
So I get why Jimmy hated Howard but why did Kim? She said herself HHM did good things for her.

Why did Howard not try and run when the silencer was being put on? His head bouncing off the table reminded me of Ted in Breaking Bad dying

Kim doesn't hate Howard, he's the pretext (along with her 'doing pro-bono work' dream) for her to justify to herself enacting the grifts that she loves. Same as Jimmy. Same as Walt 'protecting his family'.

Howard didn't run as he thought Lalo popping in was another Jim and Kim grift special. He couldn't sense their genuine terror as they are always acting with him.

This show is amazing, total GOAT level. Absolutely floored by it.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Seeds fair opinion to think the Howard sub plot as being a bit silly, but in its defence I recon they've straddled the serious with the comical pretty well here. Remember, Saul is first and foremost a rogueish scallywag and scamming is at the heart of his character.

I dare say this serves as an important turning point in character development too. Of all the theories about "what happens to Kim?" I think we have a new one on the table, potentially a clubhouse leader: guilt driven self destruction/withdrawal.

It's possible she feels so bad now that she needs to move on completely from this, and that includes leaving Jimmy behind.

That, or absconding to avoid heat for Howard's murder / disappearance

Cm Perfect

Club Legend
Jul 11, 2004
Dorset, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
Seeds fair opinion to think the Howard sub plot as being a bit silly, but in its defence I recon they've straddled the serious with the comical pretty well here. Remember, Saul is first and foremost a rogueish scallywag and scamming is at the heart of his character.

I dare say this serves as an important turning point in character development too. Of all the theories about "what happens to Kim?" I think we have a new one on the table, potentially a clubhouse leader: guilt driven self destruction/withdrawal.

It's possible she feels so bad now that she needs to move on completely from this, and that includes leaving Jimmy behind.

Yep. s**t is getting super dark from here as all the fun is gone. Last few eps gonna be bleak af. Can't ******* wait.

Sep 10, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Howard's is the saddest/worst death in BB/BCS because he wasn't in "the game". You could argue that Hank wasn't too, but his job of choice obviously invited some sense off danger/violence.

Howard was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and ultimately did nothing to deserve what he got. He was totally oblivious.

This does make me see Breaking Bad differently. I now have little to no sympathy for Saul, and none for Kim. This was like when the innocent kid on the motorbike was shot in BB. A huge shift in terms of empathy for the characters (except Todd who I obviously wanted dead). After that happened I wanted to know what happened to Mike and Walt, but I wasn't actively rooting for them (bar Jesse).

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong

Yes i see that. But that was largely forseeable at the start of the season. Something would happen that would change the characters, aka most likely Kims, perception of the scamming and relationship with jimmy. But other then that, it would be the only influence howard would have on the finale. I was hoping for more. Something unexpected. I was hoping that howard would outsmart jimmy at least once and get back at him rather then just being the played fool the whole show. At the very least i was hoping for a bit more of an emotional payoff when howard finally confronted saul and kim.
We were starting to get that but for me lalo came in to early and finished him off before jimmy and kim were forced to show any real response. I wanted them to at least explain to howard why they did what they did. Solely because they get off on it was such a disapointing reason. If that was the sole reason them it really was just a side story.

we had been waiting for Lalo to come back to howard and kim all season but when it happened. I didnt want him there. Not yet. There was still more to the howard storyline i wanted to see. Plus his arrival was teleported too much. We knew it was happening.

this is why the final scene disapointed me.

plus now for jimmy and kim we are just back where we were 7 episodes. In regards to the main story arc with the cartel their story has progressed no where in 7 episodes since lalo was last in kims house. Now that confrontation last time was excellent. Maybe this one will be too. we will see.

this season i was hoping jimmy and kim would have to use their scamming skills to get themselves out of real trouble rather then just for fun. There isnt enough tension. not enough a sense of how the f*** do they get out of this situation. In breaking bad walt used his chemistry skills often to stop himself from getting killed or captured. There was real tension. in 5 seasons jimmy only uses his scamming skills for fun or to impact court cases or to mess with his brother. None of which has the same high stakes. It seems like a missed opportunity. Hopefully he uses them to get himself out of a predicament with the cartel in the finale.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
So Jimmy and Kim are both set to go down for Howard's death. Only one way they both avoid getting locked up.

Kim places a call to order a dust filter for her Hoover Max Pressure Pro model 60. Once set she places another call confessing to murdering Howard all by herself before disappearing.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Also Jimmy's fake PI guy had the best job in history. Howard paid him, Jimmy paid him and he didn't even have to tail anyone. Two big pay cheques essentially just for handing over some photos which someone else concocted.

Anyone know of any fake PI jobs on the go?

Also, that scene with Saul running to give the photos to the PI - did anyone else's mind go straight to Bob's heart attack?
I was yelling at the tv screen thinking stop running you idiot you’re going to kill yourself. Writers have no chill

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham

It really worked for me because Jimmy and Kim's schemes got them into a whole world of trouble they never intended. They f*cked with Howard for fun but when he was in real danger they were horrified and tried to save him.

What next?

Jimmy and Kim have a gun-toting Lalo, and a dead Howard in their apartment.
Lalo wants info on Mike to get to Gus.
We know Mike, Jimmy and Gus live into BB.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back