Streaming Better Call Saul - ** Contains Spoliers! **

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
You shouldnt base opinions on likeability but rather they should be based on truth.

BCS is a solid show but it drags on to much and is fairly predictable. It also doesn't have nearly as many killer scenes as breaking bad. It has had long stretches of being fairly boring with very little happening. I.e. it lacks plot.
Forward Press may be overselling it (but only slightly), you are massively underselling it though. It's a cracking show.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
The only thing I would say about BCS that drops it SLIGHTLY for me is that, being a legal show in many respects, it gets bogged down slightly in some of the law plotlines and when that happens, you need to be watching it constantly to remember the plot strands. It has gotten me a few times where I'll start a new season or whatever and I will have to re-watch the half dozen episodes beforehand.

Or Hank and his crystals, or Marie and her stealing.
giphy.gif

BB has way better individual episodes. BCS is a better overall arc.

This is a really good assesment that I've never really thought of.

I think many of us can think of and name some of the best episodes of Breaking Bad and would struggle more with Better Call Saul - but that isn't a criticism of BCS, as it's apparent that the show runners (or creators or whoever is responsible for that) went into BCS with a clearly defined story progression and the episodes overall are better for it. That being said, not many other shows (BB included) would pull off such a tense episode where two guys are barely saying anything as they trek through a desert.

Mr X

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Round here
AFL Club
Geelong
I have gone back and watched alot of BB again now after watching BCS.

I have to say, BCS is a better show. Much of what has been highlighted in the last few posts is so true. There were some rubbish storylines in BB, including the Ted one. Also how Walt Jnr drifts in and out is interesting, and there are a few times where they start down a road and then completely forget about it and move on, but how Walt Jnr never lashed out in any meaningful or rebellious way is beyond me with 2 completely dysfunctional and at times very odd parents.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
I have gone back and watched alot of BB again now after watching BCS.

I have to say, BCS is a better show. Much of what has been highlighted in the last few posts is so true. There were some rubbish storylines in BB, including the Ted one. Also how Walt Jnr drifts in and out is interesting, and there are a few times where they start down a road and then completely forget about it and move on, but how Walt Jnr never lashed out in any meaningful or rebellious way is beyond me with 2 completely dysfunctional and at times very odd parents.
As great as BB is I cant re-watch it without the occasional fast forwarding of some ordinary bits. I don't have this problem yet going back to old episodes of BCS even if they move very slowly.

In BB it might have only been a minor plot point but I think the dumbest thing was when Jesse is getting all upset about them getting 'ripped off' after doing after 'doing the maths' by Gus. Walter right away immediately points out the extremely obvious as out to why would he even be complaining when he is getting a million dollars for a few weeks work? And then to tax/smuggle some meth out, to the most idiotic part of it all trying to sell it at those group counseling meetings??? How much would he even expect to make from this risky venture? Might be a worthwhile way for some low level dealer but a man that is going to very soon bank 1 million dollars?

It was funny to see Skinny and Badger again in there but it makes zero sense and all I can think of is it was just something made up desperately at the last moment to fill in some air time.

Mr X

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Round here
AFL Club
Geelong
As great as BB is I cant re-watch it without the occasional fast forwarding of some ordinary bits. I don't have this problem yet going back to old episodes of BCS even if they move very slowly.

In BB it might have only been a minor plot point but I think the dumbest thing was when Jesse is getting all upset about them getting 'ripped off' after doing after 'doing the maths' by Gus. Walter right away immediately points out the extremely obvious as out to why would he even be complaining when he is getting a million dollars for a few weeks work? And then to tax/smuggle some meth out, to the most idiotic part of it all trying to sell it at those group counseling meetings??? How much would he even expect to make from this risky venture? Might be a worthwhile way for some low level dealer but a man that is going to very soon bank 1 million dollars?

It was funny to see Skinny and Badger again in there but it makes zero sense and all I can think of is it was just something made up desperately at the last moment to fill in some air time.
Good call on the Jesse plot arc. It seemed they could not make up their mind about where they wanted it to go, and so dabbled in a few areas, and then completely an inexplicably went in a different direction with it all seemingly forgotten. Some lost opportunities.

Skinny and Badger were a waste of time, but it seemed a hallmark of that season. Jesse's relationship with that chick that Walter let die, that ended up with the old man being the air traffic controller and causing the air disaster was just weird.....I did like the touch of them wearing the ribbon for most of the next season though lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
I think many of us can think of and name some of the best episodes of Breaking Bad and would struggle more with Better Call Saul - but that isn't a criticism of BCS, as it's apparent that the show runners (or creators or whoever is responsible for that) went into BCS with a clearly defined story progression and the episodes overall are better for it. That being said, not many other shows (BB included) would pull off such a tense episode where two guys are barely saying anything as they trek through a desert.
BB literally already did the desert episode first. Season 2.

BB had way better story progression. So much more happened in BBs plot and it had better character development. And yes having worse episodes is a criticism. thats the definition of relative criticism.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Good call on the Jesse plot arc. It seemed they could not make up their mind about where they wanted it to go, and so dabbled in a few areas, and then completely an inexplicably went in a different direction with it all seemingly forgotten. Some lost opportunities.

Skinny and Badger were a waste of time, but it seemed a hallmark of that season. Jesse's relationship with that chick that Walter let die, that ended up with the old man being the air traffic controller and causing the air disaster was just weird.....I did like the touch of them wearing the ribbon for most of the next season though lol.
Skinny and badger who are hilarious are a waste of time??? But im sure you love sauls boring camera crew friends who are the skinny pete and badger equivalent just without the humour.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
BCS doesn’t have any Ted Beneke rubbish, which is a big advantage.
Really? The sandpiper characters/plot which was unbelievably boring and ultimately was just a side plot. As was the davis and main plot in season 2. Plus ted was in it for like 3 scenes in tge entire series and one of those was the awesome scene where he knocked himself out

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
Gilligan and the writing is meticulous, nothing is there that shouldn't be, or by accident. Like when Saul gets out of the car after his chat with Mike and Saul realises the immense gravity of the situation he has got himself in to, and then you see kids on skateboards in the background, just to remind everyone about how Jimmy got pulled into this world in the first place way back in season one.

That's insane!

Gilligan is the Kubrick of the 21st century.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back