Team Captain
Sep 27, 2005
Wangaratta
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Anyone enjoy them?

I’m ready to throw out my TV. It’s an absolute travesty that the government lets this many ads get played, I feel for anyone trying to recover from an addiction who wants to watch TV.

If nothing else, can Shaq and Wahlberg get off Australian screens? These ads are beyond rubbish, just shows how much money these companies make that they can hire US celebrities to talk absolute dribble.

I don’t bet, but for those that do, I’m calling a mass boycott of those companies until they’re gone.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lethality

Most successful team in your lifetime
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
It might not be safe to watch the football as a family anymore, unless you're happy with your young son or daughter becoming versed in the language of addictive online gambling. Maybe you can skip the ads, but then there's embedded gambling like on The Front Bar, where the odds are part of the show. They also advertise on social media, as supposed football fans, by sharing memes, and starting football banter. Australian Classification has a blind spot here, or maybe they're just looking the other way.

One becomes wary of paying too much attention to the TV ads even as an adult. The constant promises of good value bets can be alluring, and with smartphones which are already habit forming, and the use of digital instead of paper money, a gambling problem can be formed from the comfort of the couch.

It just goes to show that everyones a whore. The same people who would pay lip service to the epidemics of homelessness, domestic violence, and other problems, won't stop taking the money from industries that contribute to it, even during these unprecedented times when there's been a spike. LaPaglia, Wahlberg, and other semi respected figures certainly don't mind the hit to their reputations.

On an individual level you might be able to avoid these ads by blocking them on social media, not watching TV or skipping the ads, skipping the "Mick's Multi" on The Front Bar, skipping quarter and half time when watching the football, and discussing this with your kids.

In terms of a concerted movement, I would support an AFL boycott.

Kavliaris69

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2011
"A Little Left of Heaven"
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Anyone enjoy them?

I’m ready to throw out my TV. It’s an absolute travesty that the government lets this many ads get played, I feel for anyone trying to recover from an addiction who wants to watch TV.

If nothing else, can Shaq and Wahlberg get off Australian screens? These ads are beyond rubbish, just shows how much money these companies make that they can hire US celebrities to talk absolute dribble.

I don’t bet, but for those that do, I’m calling a mass boycott of those companies until they’re gone.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great post and agree totally. Hate these so much.

krided

Premium Platinum
Apr 28, 2021
Paddy's Pub
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
All Blacks
What baffles me is the fact that ad's still appear throughout the game even if you're paying a monthly fee for the platform (Kayo, Optus sport).

Only degenerates or the mentally handicapped could possibly enjoy those ads.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad