Betting companies as “media”

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Interested in the growing number of former players and media working for betting companies rather than / in addition to media outlets.

Bet365

Josh Gibson

BetEasy

Campbell Brown
Matthew Campbell
Jay Clark
Ben Dixon
Wayne Carey
Brendon Goddard

Ladbrokes

Adam Cooney
Roger Oldridge

PointsBet

Bill Brownless
Dale Thomas

Sportsbet

Nathan Brown
Georgie Parker
Matthew Richardson
James Brayshaw

Unibet

Russell Barwick

Last edited:
Awful. I notice that on the Hawks site they are running anti-betting ads "Here at Hawthorn, we're taking a stance against gambling in sport. Love the game, not the odds".

Wonderful sentiment, would feel a little more genuine without the pokies revenue.

So true. all of it.

but gamble responsibly.

there are social issues stemming from gambling, like alcohol. but 100% supporters of both will defend them to the hilt (its not illegal - which is correct).

the amount of betting ads are infuriating. happy to take your money, but no responsibility.

Russell Barwick is an especially annoying one for me.

Comes on for his paid segment, and often tries to engage himself into whatever topic they're talking about as if he is part of the "talent".

The bigger question is - who the hell is Russell Barwick?!
I know him from TVN days but he was probably another network before that as a broadcaster.

In rugby league it went so far that they had Tom Waterhouse basically come on as a boundary rider on their Friday Night games, and commenting on games, to give the odds. I think that was a bridge too far and he was finally removed, but we're not too far off that in the AFL. Nathan Brown isn't in the studio, but he might as well be.

Interested in the growing number of former players and media working for betting companies rather than / in addition to media outlets.

BetEasy

Matthew Campbell
Jay Clark
Ben Dixon
Wayne Carey
Brendon Goddard

Ladbrokes

Adam Cooney
Roger Oldridge

Sportsbet

Nathan Brown
Georgie Parker
Matthew Richardson

Unibet

Russell Barwick
Campbell Brown is on BetEasy as well. With him and Carey, their predilection for s**t blokes is strong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of that list is talentless. If it wasn’t for betting companies wanting a former footballer spruiking for them they’d probably be unemployable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back