Betting strategies and banking/betting methods for sports punting?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, but this is wrong. Sure, from time to time you've had a futures bet a double-figure odds and you'd like to guarantee yourself some cash, or thrown some money on a "for the hell of it" parlay which you didn't think would get close, and, again, you'd like to see a bit of that cash.

But saying "always hedge on the last leg of a parlay" is using flawed logic. You are effectively paying vig on both sides of the wager.

Using a basic example. So you've taken a four team parlay with an Australian corporate this weekend, taking four teams at the line, for $100.00.

So at 1.91 x 1.91 x 1.91 x1.91 you get odds of 13.31. $100.00 x 13.31 = $1331.00.

Your last leg of the parlay is St. Kilda -17.5 (wrong side IMO, but that isn't the point ;)). So you decide to hedge on Collingwood +17.5. S you bet $697 on Collingwood +17.5, guaranteeing yourself a payout of $1331 for an outlay of $797.00, ie. a guaranteed profit of $534.

Now if you'd completely left out the MNF game and taken just the first three legs, you'd have gotten a payout of $697.00 from $100.00, a profit of $597.00.

As I said before, there is going to be the occasional situation when it is probably a good idea to guarantee yourself some dollars. Or, if the outcome of your parlay has had its probability altered (injuries, weather etc.) and the odds/line has dramatically changed. But saying to always lay off is wrong. What you have effectively done is reduced the odds of each leg from 1.91 to 1.85 (1.85 x 1.85 x 1.85 = 6.34), which, as you correctly pointed out in the paragraph earlier, is not good betting practice.

If you know you are not willing to take on the risk in the final leg of the parlay before you bet the parlay, then simple. Do not bet the final leg.

I thik the point is, when it comes down to the last leg - you don't have to lay off to guarantee the same payout with either result, but you should lay-off to cover your costs.

In the example you posit, (although I can tell you Saints were absolute morals last week to beat Pies by 30+ points), I would still have laid off with Collingwood for +17.5 with probably $200. It guarantees I end up ahead either way, but still the weight of money is attached to my original bet.

In my book, how much you lay off on a last leg comes back to your confidence in that leg. In that example, as I said, I would have sworn the Saints were morals to beat that line - so therefore I would only have laid off to make a negligble profit with Collingwood beating the line, but still with a sizeable profit for the Saints beating the line.

If for example that was this week, with Saints (-35.5) against Bombers, I would probably go closer to $350-400 on Essendon (+35.5). As though I'm certain we'll win, the line will be harder to beat this week against a confident Bombers. (I still think we'll beat that line though).

So, no hard and fast rules about how to lay-off, but you should at least lay-off in that example to guarantee green - why would you throw away a certain profit? Now, that is dumb punting - nothing wrong with having a spread on the guaranteed profit you're going to make.

I used the search and this looked like the most appropriate thread to post.

I wanted to be a more disciplined punter and avoid being a mug punter and chase, and put the account on 'sure things' etc. Looking through this thread has also helped me with what I think is a good staking plan. The amount I bet would vary, depending on my confidence in the bet. It would be a percentage of my bank size:

1% (0.5 Units) - Minimum size bet

This minimum bet would be used for what I see as value in the underdogs. I may not ALWAYS think that this team will win, but with the staking plan in mind, believe that by taking this price, in the long run I will make a profit. This min. bet would also apply in instances where I would not be 100% confident in a favourite, like taking the roos in a NAB cup game for instance, and have gone low stakes to reduce potenital damage.

2% (1 Unit) - Regular size bet

This regular size bet applys to just that, regular bets. It would most likely not be taking the outsider in a footy match, or the 3rd fav in a horse race, but more often than not it would be a bet that I think will eventuate. This is double the amount of my min bet, and thus would be a selection that I would have high confidence in.

4% (2 Units) - Maximum size bet

This would be a rare bet, and not an amount that I would normally invest on one selection. However, this amount bet is in place for when I identify something as a sure bet, like the Crows against the Bombers in the first final last year. I know nothing is for sure, but when I am ALMOST 100% convinced that a certain team will win, instead of restricting myself to 2% of my bank, I would allow a maximum bet of 4%.

So, I am thining of having just 3 different bet size amounts, according to my confidence in the particular selection. I am still learning every week I bet and was wondering what others thought of this particular approach?

I used the search and this looked like the most appropriate thread to post.

I wanted to be a more disciplined punter and avoid being a mug punter and chase, and put the account on 'sure things' etc. Looking through this thread has also helped me with what I think is a good staking plan. The amount I bet would vary, depending on my confidence in the bet. It would be a percentage of my bank size:

1% (0.5 Units) - Minimum size bet

This minimum bet would be used for what I see as value in the underdogs. I may not ALWAYS think that this team will win, but with the staking plan in mind, believe that by taking this price, in the long run I will make a profit. This min. bet would also apply in instances where I would not be 100% confident in a favourite, like taking the roos in a NAB cup game for instance, and have gone low stakes to reduce potenital damage.

2% (1 Unit) - Regular size bet

This regular size bet applys to just that, regular bets. It would most likely not be taking the outsider in a footy match, or the 3rd fav in a horse race, but more often than not it would be a bet that I think will eventuate. This is double the amount of my min bet, and thus would be a selection that I would have high confidence in.

4% (2 Units) - Maximum size bet

This would be a rare bet, and not an amount that I would normally invest on one selection. However, this amount bet is in place for when I identify something as a sure bet, like the Crows against the Bombers in the first final last year. I know nothing is for sure, but when I am ALMOST 100% convinced that a certain team will win, instead of restricting myself to 2% of my bank, I would allow a maximum bet of 4%.

So, I am thining of having just 3 different bet size amounts, according to my confidence in the particular selection. I am still learning every week I bet and was wondering what others thought of this particular approach?

Sounds very disciplined.

Not sure what the size of your bank will be though.

You might also think about the rate of return that you will set for each level of betting (i.e. 1 unit bets will only be at 1.50 to 2.00 odds, 2 unit bets under 1.50 odds).

I have a far less disciplined method.

Whilst I keep track of win/loss, I set myself a budget of $X per week (which does not need to all be spent).

By limiting myself to a budget, I apportion my bets accordingly.

I think that you think to small! Making 50% of your bank to me is pathetic! Seriously, why can you not turn 5k into 50k in a week? Think of it like this, say you had 5 dollars, could you not turn that into 50 pretty darned easy? It's all mental! People see 5 bucks, pfft nothing, people see say 5 grand and omg, lot of money, play scared, look for 1.05 Manchester United! but 5 dollars and they'll go for it! Anyways look how many odds on shots go down every day in horse racing and greyhound racing, easy money!

Still if your a winner, your a winner! People should do what makes them happy, agree? If your happy winning a tiny % on your investment then who is anyone to say that's wrong anyway!

I think at the end of the day, people never change, they always look for the so called good things, one eventually loses and everyone goes bust. I think 90% of people are like this.

Gee was hoping to find some good advice on here, but stopped dead in my tracks right here.
A 50% return on your betting is pathetic! **** me! I assume you've taken out a $200k loan of some sort and are making $100k a year these days??
Surely you'd turn that $5 into $50 only once every 10 bets.
Assume not posting on BF anymore as living in some extravagant mansion somewhere.

I know there are some seasoned punters here, and most of you would probably turn handy profits. I'm not quite as confident in my punting ability as yet, but confident in my footy knowledge. I have been burnt many times in the past by spur-of-the-moment pub bets and especially multis and this year I'll probably be taking the advice from some of you guys and start with a small bank looking at betting 1-2%. I am trying to teach myself some discipline with the potential to make profit eventually, but really this is all about testing my footy knowledge against the bookies. And FWIW for those who can't get on the park for a kick, there is no greater thrill in footy than getting it right.

I know there are some seasoned punters here, and most of you would probably turn handy profits. I'm not quite as confident in my punting ability as yet, but confident in my footy knowledge. I have been burnt many times in the past by spur-of-the-moment pub bets and especially multis and this year I'll probably be taking the advice from some of you guys and start with a small bank looking at betting 1-2%. I am trying to teach myself some discipline with the potential to make profit eventually, but really this is all about testing my footy knowledge against the bookies. And FWIW for those who can't get on the park for a kick, there is no greater thrill in footy than getting it right.

I used to form my own markets... still do

say if Collingwood are playing Hawthorn. If in my head I think Collingwood are a 75% chance of winning, means the odds should be

Collingwood: $1.33
Hawthorn: $4.00

If one of those odds is more than, say, 15% above what I have it priced at, i'll back it.

Some people get into the habit of backing who they think will win. As my dad says.. "you can't lose backing winners" :rolleyes:

say if Collingwood are playing Hawthorn. If in my head I think Collingwood are a 75% chance of winning, means the odds should be

If one of those odds is more than, say, 15% above what I have it priced at, i'll back it.

Some people get into the habit of backing who they think will win. As my dad says.. "you can't lose backing winners" :rolleyes:

US sports are great for this, especially NBA/MLB (due to the amount of games played).

Do you find it hard to find value though when you set your market to 100%

Do you find it hard to find value though when you set your market to 100%

eh, limits me to 2-4 bets per round. Wouldnt want to bet every match if value doesnt jump out at me.

btw i pretty much always think the swans are underpriced but i cant bet against them.

and yep YOTC is right... i'm not one of these guys that puts up with the TAB's $1.85/$1.85 line odds

All bookmakers in Australia run off Pinnacles Sports for prices, this is for tennis, basketball, baseball, anything USA.

If anyone has a price before hand it means they're idiots or they know what the **** they're doing.

I guarantee you can find overs on prices by just watching the pinnacle market then watch the Australian market follow.

eh, limits me to 2-4 bets per round. Wouldnt want to bet every match if value doesnt jump out at me.

btw i pretty much always think the swans are underpriced but i cant bet against them.

and yep YOTC is right... i'm not one of these guys that puts up with the TAB's $1.85/$1.85 line odds

This is just an observation because I do not like to bet on Swans games as emotion usually plays a major role in selection.

I think there would be value in betting against the swans under 39.5 for games that they are expected to lose. For example, last week there was no value in the Saints at 1.28 but if you took them 1-39 the odds would be 2.25-2.30. I know from watching every game that it is not very often that the swans to get touched up, and lose by 40+ points. Therefore it might be worth considering betting against Sydney in this margin :D

I go via betting exchanges not an online broker since the odds are shorter. Also I can bank my profits before the end of the game and even place my bets once the game has already started. Obviously a bit of sports history helps too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a few rules across multi's I TRY to keep to. It took a few years of that dreaded "What the F%#@ did I do that for" feeling to be more disciplined. Some sound stupid but hey betting can make you feel very very stupid.

1. Don't back your golf selections until Saturday after two rounds have been played.
2. Don't touch the losing team in the NRL from Monday's game the previous week the following week.
3. Five leg maximum multi's
4. Don't touch short priced favourites in the EPL a few days after champions league fixtures. Especially away.
5. Don't bet on the Sunday night Afl match in W.A as your 5th leg just because your home to watch it. Especially with the mob with the anchor. There likely to get beaten by 10 goals or stop a winning streak of ten weeks.
6. Take only top 8 in the formula one. short odds but there is such a fine line between 3rd and 8th. It'll cost you odds of about 15 cents less but try and predict a driver who will probably miss a podium but be in the top 8. Odds of around $1.40 this year for some past world champions who should finish most races. Make this bet as part of your Friday night bet.
7. Don't look at the time or day on the weekend the game is played for your first multi bet. If the Stormers are playing at 4.15am on sun morning, stiff s**t - take the 1.18 and make some cash while your asleep. If the better form sits with the stormers than an AFL chance at 7.20pm on a Saturday night that's also 1.18 don't back it just to get excited on the couch.
8. Don't touch a state of origin dead rubber. ever.
9. The soccer double chance is a good thing. If Man U are 1.22 for the win but Bristol or Man U are 1.16 and the favourite is the away team, always give up the 6 cents.
10. If your inclined to lay off, try to put your value leg early in the bet and finish with a team in the NRL with a 12.5 start. The lay off is value then with a 13 plus margin to the other team.

I know this is all common sense when you stop and think of it, but we don't stop and think every time. Anyone else got some rules to add???

Oh, and I just read number 6 again. Make that don't touch anything with a F%$#ing engine, especially if it only has two wheels.

Hi All,

We're looking for free beta testers to our new betting money manager web app. Stop worrying about how much to stake anymore. Our money manager engine will keep your kitty safe during the bad times and put it on steroids when you're on a roll. It just went live yesterday and we'd love to get some feedback from real punters.

We don't even have any instructions yet, but it's pretty simple. Signup, create a kitty and set the amount in the kitty. Click next bet and it will tell you how much to stake on the next bet. Once you have the result, click add result and it will tell you how much to put on the next bet. rinse and repeat! Setup multiple kitties for different betting accounts or different strategies. eg Horses, football

If you want to see how well it works, just create a kitty and add in all your old bets.

We'll have some examples of how well it's performed on all different kitties soon.

If you get stuck just hit the chat icon

Hope you all enjoy it and find it useful. Look forward to hearing any and all feedback.

https://www.twofishinatank.com

Cheers

giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back