Analysis Beveridge - where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should have cleaned out the assistants around him the last two seasons. The club is either stubborn as a bulldog (heh) or it can't attract others to us.

I would still rather this untill his contract is up unless maybe if Ratten was knocking.

I am not into all these back stabbing threads and doom and gloom, but they are a sign of the times and
should not be ignored. We don't have the personnel across the ground and we are playing to the main
strengths we have, yes it's a bit all over the place. I would target Richmond in terms of running players,
but we may end up like North Melbourne who are struggling with their identity. Basics are Basics and it
pays to stick to the Basics, funky is for the disco not the footy field.

I think you need to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater in this case. We know, at his best, Bevo is probably only behind Clarkson, Simpson, and a couple of others as a coach. We need to figure out ways to overcome his flaws and get him back to that level.

It's said a lot lately, but we just simply have too many people who have been around the club for so long. Looking at the Coaches and wider Football Admin:
Coach: Bevo - 5th year at the Dogs, former player too
Snr Assistant - Steven King - 8th year as coach with us.
Forwards Coach - Ash Hansen - 7th year as coach with us.
Stoppages - Joel Corey - 6th year as coach with us.
Mids - Steve Grace - 3rd year
VFL - Gia - Literally 20 consecutive years as player and coach
Development - Jordan Russell - 5 years
Development - Jamie Maddocks - 3 years

Director of Football - Chris Grant - 4 years in that position, on top of as a player
Football Operations - Ben Graham - 6 years
Development Manager - Rohan Smith - 7 years, plus as a player
GM of Football = Chris Maple - 12 years in various roles

So in three year we haven't bought in a single new idea to the club, which is compounded by literally half of that group being involved with the club for at least 8 years.

At the end of the year I'd be moving on Steven King, Ash Hansen, Jordan Russell and Chris Grant at the very minimum. We need a strong person in Grants role who can pull Bevo in to line where needed. Then bring in an assistant from another club as a senior assistant, and look to bring in at least two good retired players into assistant roles too. Hodge, Kade Simpson, Richard Douglas, David Mundy, Roughy, Birchall, Burgoyne, Jordan Lewis, and Jarrod McVeigh are all around that retirement age and it would be amazing to get a couple of them into the club as assistants or development coaches.

will never be time up for any coach that wins a premiership for the dogs.

Time's up for the following though:

Gordon
All directors
Club board
All assistant coaches
Whoever is responsible for opposition talent analysis + trading
Wood
Wallis
JJ
Daniel
Dunkley
Gowers
Dickson
Dale
Trengrove
T Boyd
Lin Jong
F Roberts
B Williams
Young
Webb
Roarke
Lynch

Thin ice:
Josh Schache
Libba
Suckling
Cordy
The Lip

Last edited:
If no improvement by mid season, surely there would be talks internally.
Back end of 2018 was promising. There was a structure and a method.
Sure, a few more score conversions could have shifted momentum and made a massive difference the last couple of games, but that would just be hiding the deficiencies, which appear to start with team selection player roles.

It's not even like they need to make massive changes to the team or how they play. To my eye, it's mostly player roles constantly changing.

Gordon
All directors
Club board
All assistant coaches
Wood
Wallis
JJ
Daniel
Dunkley
Gowers
Dickson
Dale
Trengrove
T Boyd
Lin Jong
F Roberts
B Williams
Young
Webb
Roarke
Lynch

Thin ice:
Josh Schache
Libba
Suckling
Cordy
The Lip

I'd add Bontempelli to that list. Needs to hit the scoreboard or I'd be moving him on. He's been drinking his own bathwater since 2016 and thinks he's better than he is. Tries to go for the selfish impossible goals when he should be trying to get his team mates involved. No place for selfish players on this team and if he keeps it up he can go and join his mate Stringer at the Bombers.

Just time to go back to basics, can’t keep trying new things for versatility when it clearly hurts us too much.

Dunkley & Wallis are the prime examples right now if you think back to the last month of 2018. Dunkley was in the middle carving it up, Wallis was an accurate & effective forward. This season the roles are reversed, Wallis is a liability in midfield & Dunkley is an ineffective forward. Whhhyyyyyyyyyyy

I'd add Bontempelli to that list. Needs to hit the scoreboard or I'd be moving him on. He's been drinking his own bathwater since 2016 and thinks he's better than he is. Tries to go for the selfish impossible goals when he should be trying to get his team mates involved. No place for selfish players on this team and if he keeps it up he can go and join his mate Stringer at the Bombers.
I would give the boot to Bont but only if we can get a top 10 draft pick for him. Dodoro may not give it up/

Wouldn't want a another player tbh, a Cripps, Kelly, Heeney wouldn't cut it and would be a downgrade.

Gordon
All directors
Club board
All assistant coaches
Wood
Wallis
JJ
Daniel
Dunkley
Gowers
Dickson
Dale
Trengrove
T Boyd
Lin Jong
F Roberts
B Williams
Young
Webb
Roarke
Lynch

Thin ice:
Josh Schache
Libba
Suckling
Cordy
The Lip

You're going to cut literally half the list, including guys who have had long term injuries and in no way responsible for our form the last year?

Not sure it’s time up but it is time to change things, our only new people into the club have been old mates of bevos. We need some new assistants with fresh ideas and a major football department review. Bevo needs to change if he can’t change and can’t deal with anyone other than yes men which is the culture he has created then it’s time for him to go.

Gordon
All directors
Club board
All assistant coaches
Wood
Wallis
JJ
Daniel
Dunkley
Gowers
Dickson
Dale
Trengrove
T Boyd
Lin Jong
F Roberts
B Williams
Young
Webb
Roarke
Lynch

Thin ice:
Josh Schache
Libba
Suckling
Cordy
The Lip
Either a very unfunny joke or you don’t know how the recruiting system works.

If you aren’t joking then let me tell you it would take three off seasons to turn over that many players.

As for your other post about Bont please.

The Coach and Assistants are at it full time, there wouldn't be a single idea expressed on this forum that wouldn't have occurred to them and probably discarded. Who knows what's really behind the expulsion of senior players, ultra youth policy, puzzling selections, inconsistent application. It doesn't necessarily mean that the coach is a dill, though. Sometimes you can see when a coach's time is up. McCartney had lost the players, Plough had even antagonised them. They had to go. I couldn't see why Rocket had to go. I haven't seen signs that Beveridge has lost the players, yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In percentage terms, premiership coaches are incredibly difficult to find, especially at club's like ours. I reckon the chances of getting someone better with the same money would be about 10%-20%.

He, the footy department and match committee have made significant mistakes on and off the field, but to get rid of him now would be one of the dumbest decisions in the club's history.

We occasionally play an ultra young squad - some of it is due to injury, some of it by (silly) design like this week, but I genuinely think we're at where Brisbane was in 1997-1998 (ignore their coach sackin lol) before going on a run of knocking the door down for 8 odd years. Half a dozen older heads in the top 22, but mostly an elite group of 12 future AAs that sit at between 18-24. They need games together, but the price you pay for that is that players at that age can be up and down, and sometimes you get terrible results like yesterday.

There's issues in match day selection, they can be addressed without sacking a premiership coach.

There's issues in match day decisions, they can be addressed without sacking a premiership coach.

I would address the assistants situation with a full review - an early article on Beveridge went into detail on his philosophy of assistants having long term assurance of their role. The intent in having his assistants back no matter what is to be commended, but in practice we've gone a few years without any new ideas, voices or IP. One or two trusted super long termers is fine, but you always also need to be improving.

haven't lost faith yet. but * me we are playing a boring style of footy and some embarrassing line ups

if we miss out on finals again and are a bottom 4 team, id hope we have a clean out of the whole coaching department. if we still are struggling after all that, then bevos time will be up.

Serious question (that I'm asking myself as much as anyone...) ;

But how did he win 2 straight Coach of Year's (as voted by peers)?

Did the rest of them fall for tactical genius in games?
Did they simply not rate our list and were therefore amazed at what he'd done??

I genuinely don't have a clue.

Clearly he's shown to a lot of seriously talented people that he's doing a hell of a lot right, so is he still??

Not trying to be funny. Just throwing out ideas. I don't think any players should be exempt from trade hypotheticals. There's no doubt that the Bont is a talented player but I do fear that he peaked in 2016.
Bont is playing well, but his goal kicking is terrible and if he can’t fix it, going forward, he will lose a lot of value

Nah, just needs a senior assistant who he listens too. Much like Ratten at St Kilda and Caracella at Tigers. Get a quality assistant with a game plan and Bev will be right. The question is whether Bev will want a equal working with him or just sheep following him. I think he likes to be Top Dog and likes sheep following who will never question him.

I understand that Beveridge is contracted to the end of the 2020 season.

It is probably best to see out his contract unless he decides he has had enough at the end of this season.

I would not evaluate renewing his contract until the end of the 2020 season - and make a decision within a timeframe that will afford enough time to find a replacement if that is the decision.

We must make sure we avoid the McCartney renewal blunder again: a little ray of sunshine in a bad year and hey presto a 3 year extension immediately announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back