Analysis Beveridge - where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

8 and 8 with a team in form heading into the last few rounds and a relatively fit list.

It's almost as if he knows what he is doing and how to time a run. But nah, that can't be right.
This may well be the case, but we pissed away 2 very winnable games (Carlton and GCS) that may very well end up costing a finals birth. There were definitely coaching and structural problems early in the year that seem to have been largely addressed.

This may well be the case, but we pi**ed away 2 very winnable games (Carlton and GCS) that may very well end up costing a finals birth. There were definitely coaching and structural problems early in the year that seem to have been largely addressed.
Definitely?

We criticise Bev at times for using players out of position but that’s what won us a flag.

Liam Picken from tagger to forward
Roughead & T Boyd to the ruck, if he bothered with rucks; 3rd man up; Dropping Minson in favour of mobility
M Boyd as a defensive sweeper
Bob Murphy as a focal creator

When we say he’s playing X out of position he might be teaching them something or trying out something that looks great in training.

That said, glad he saw the light with Dunkley!

On the other hand, it's good to have an unpredictable coach who can learn from his mistakes. He's adaptable, and unafraid to try left-field moves. He was the first coach to not bother contesting some ruck contests, taken up by others.
No he wasnt. Grant Thomas never rated ruckman. Luke wasnt the first.

Isn't Bevo contracted to coach to the end of the 2020 season? If so, how could he leave for StK at the end of this season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No he wasnt. Grant Thomas never rated ruckman. Luke wasnt the first.

Beveridge will rate ruckman when we have a player who can actually win hit-outs (hopefully English in 2 years).

Until then he builds the team and game style around OUR list's strengths, not the perceived strengths needed to win a flag.

Yes. Off the top of my head
- Playing a wildly out of form Gowers
- Playing Dunkley in the forward line
- Not giving English any ruck support (still an issue)
- Playing Wallis in the middle more than forward line
- Playing a tall short in defence
- Having Gowers play through the middle
- Continually selecting Hayes
What else was said in those match committee meetings that you were present for?

8 and 8 with a team in form heading into the last few rounds and a relatively fit list.

It's almost as if he knows what he is doing and how to time a run. But nah, that can't be right.

Do you honestly believe this? Some of his decisions early on in the year weren't great. Midget backline against the Blues, persisting with Dunkley forward too long and conversely Wallis getting so many midfield minutes, leaving English getting mauled to effectively lose winnable games more than a few times etc etc.

It's ticking along well at the moment but he hasn't had a good year in the box or at selection this year so far IMO. I can cop a few of those decisions as being in a rebuild philosophy at the moment ie persisting with B.Smith. But things like letting Lipinski wallow in the VFL while getting b.o.g's every week while playing Hayes ahead of him is just baffling.

Saints are going to come hard for Luke.

It's going to cost us significantly more to keep him now. I still think we'll hang on to him however.

Yes. Off the top of my head
- Playing a wildly out of form Gowers
- Playing Dunkley in the forward line
- Not giving English any ruck support (still an issue)
- Playing Wallis in the middle more than forward line
- Playing a tall short in defence
- Having Gowers play through the middle
- Continually selecting Hayes

Not giving English any ruck support? Pretty sure he shared the hitouts with Dunkley, Schache and Naughton last weekend. If you're suggesting we need to play two rucks then I disagree. Hardly any teams using two rucks now.

You're arguing that your opinions on coaching decisions make them objectively wrong. They're all debatable. Show a bit of humility.

Saints are going to come hard for Luke.

It's going to cost us significantly more to keep him now. I still think we'll hang on to him however.

He's contracted for next year and the club will absolutely hold him to that. Saints need someone before next season starts. He wouldn't leave even if he could. He's spent years creating a culture and a list he believes in. Not gonna walk away before he reaps the benefits of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back