Analysis Beveridge - where to from here?

NBates

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My criticism of the Assistant Coaching relates more to Beveridge shifting every single one of them to a new role immediately after the flag. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now.

If it ain't broke...don't fix it.
You plageurising my posts?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pugz89

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A month ago i was positive that we could rebuild quickly.

After watching Richmond and Collingwood today without them both being in form i am now thinking we could be 3 seasons away...
Same thing was said in 2014 and 24 months later we were the reigning premiers. Football turns quickly, timeframe predictions are hardly accurate for a large percentage. Keep the faith. :)

dogwatch

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Thread starter #79
Same thing was said in 2014 and 24 months later we were the reigning premiers. Football turns quickly, timeframe predictions are hardly accurate for a large percentage. Keep the faith. :)
Exactly. Any predictions of a club's prospects beyond about 12 months out can generally be disregarded. No-one really knows and not too many guess it right.

The only safe bets are those who are cosseted by AFL policy and structure, like GWS and Sydney. Sydney have become semi-permanent finalists since their dark days of the 80s and early 90s scared the shit out of the AFL. Expect GWS to be there for a long time too. It's a commercial necessity.

AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Beveridge is 100% fine and the talk about bad assistant coaches is nonsense and completely ignorant. The only people who can fairly assess the performance of our assistant coaches are people within the club with a first-hand view of what's going on.

The reality is, sometimes players drop off or pick up a series of injuries. After we won the flag in 2016, Liberatore dropped off badly, Biggs dropped off badly, Wood dropped off badly, M.Boyd dropped of badly before retiring, Stringer was dropping off at a constant rate before leaving the club, and overall, we've been decimated by a high volume of injuries to key players. Our best goalscorers from Beveridge's first 3 years have been Stringer, Picken and Dickson, and in 2018, Stringer's gone, Picken has been completely unavailable and Dickson has only played 5 games due to persistent injuries. Taking all that into account, every single one of our coaches deserve a bit of slack.

What's hurt us more than anything including injuries is the new ruck rule. We haven't had a genuine gun 1v1 ruckman since Will Minson in 2013, and between then and 2016, we relied heavily on third man up. With the rule as it is now, we're seeing just how bad both Roughead and Boyd are at contesting the ruck, and it's hurting us badly at every stoppage. If there's one glaring fault with Beveridge (and this applies to the list management too), it's not bringing in a hardened, AFL-ready ruckman, who can at least compete consistently. A Ben Hudson type player would be perfect for us right now, just like 2007.
If our coaching team cannot adapt to a rule change 2 seasons on, that is a huge issue and it sits squarely with the coaches

Unorth

Club Legend
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If our coaching team cannot adapt to a rule change 2 seasons on, that is a huge issue and it sits squarely with the coaches
But we drafted English. Outside of recruiting a superstar ruck (Not exactly many available anyway), using a first round pick on one was about all we could do, and now we just have to wait. We were just unlucky with us deliberately not emphasising ruck work (thus not having any quality rucks on the list) while the AFL went hard and fast in the opposite direction. We're going to get killed in the ruck most weeks until English is ready, but there's no point investing significant coin in recruiting a ruck now.

AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
But we drafted English. Outside of recruiting a superstar ruck (Not exactly many available anyway), using a first round pick on one was about all we could do, and now we just have to wait. We were just unlucky with us deliberately not emphasising ruck work (thus not having any quality rucks on the list) while the AFL went hard and fast in the opposite direction. We're going to get killed in the ruck most weeks until English is ready, but there's no point investing significant coin in recruiting a ruck now.
So they can't implement any strategies to stop the bleeding in the short term?
We hardly had to recruit a superstar ruck either, there are serviceable players that can be found.
Hell, he could even try out Tom Campbell

DognBones

Premium Gold
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So they can't implement any strategies to stop the bleeding in the short term?
We hardly had to recruit a superstar ruck either, there are serviceable players that can be found.
Hell, he could even try out Tom Campbell
Toby Nankervis is a perfect example of just such a player: two lacklustre seasons with Sydney and then a premiership with Richmond in his first year - great trading for pick 46.

Antares

Club Legend
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If we bust for the third year running, should his position be reviewed?

So far his tenure is one of the most bizarre in AFL history. Takes charge of us when we're at our lowest point, takes us to the finals in 2015 when everyone's tipping us for the spoon. Then somehow wins the flag the following year. Then in 2017-2018, the years we would've been expected to challenge when we initially hired him, we start dipping hard. Everything is in reverse.

If we ended up parting ways, I take it Brett Montgomery would be the front runner for the top job by some distance?

Bont2Boyd

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
The coaching situation should have been reviewed before now, in particular the assistants. Continuing to run with the same group of coaches without any change is just head-in-the-sand stuff from our club.

Richmond and Hardwick received a big boost from the input of some new assistants in 2017.

We should have done the same before the start of 2018. But here we are heading into 2019 with the identical group of coaches just in slightly different assistant roles.

Antares

Club Legend
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The coaching situation should have been reviewed before now, in particular the assistants. Continuing to run with the same group of coaches without any change is just head-in-the-sand stuff from our club.

Richmond and Hardwick received a big boost from the input of some new assistants in 2017.

We should have done the same before the start of 2018. But here we are heading into 2019 with the identical group of coaches just in slightly different assistant roles.
Please. Most of our coaches are the same guys who helped us win the flag. As much as people like yourself want to believe what goes on behind the scenes at training, you really don't.

If the team isn't playing well, responsibility falls to the guy at the top, and that's Beveridge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bont2Boyd

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Please. Most of our coaches are the same guys who helped us win the flag. As much as people like yourself want to believe what goes on behind the scenes at training, you really don't.

If the team isn't playing well, responsibility falls to the guy at the top, and that's Beveridge.
Get off your high horse mate, "people like me"?

**** off and don't put words into my mouth next time.

I didn't give an opinion on Beveridge specifically so don't tell me what I think about him. He should have been reviewed also, but not shown the door. The first step should have been to change up the assistants and find some with the teeth to challenge him with different/new ideas.

Antares

Club Legend
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Get off your high horse mate, "people like me"?

**** off and don't put words into my mouth next time.

I didn't give an opinion on Beveridge specifically so don't tell me what I think about him. He should have been reviewed also, but not shown the door. The first step should have been to change up the assistants and find some with the teeth to challenge him with different/new ideas.
See? You're doing it again. You don't know what the current assistants have been saying to him at all. For all anyone here knows, they may have been trying, only for Beveridge to discard them.

Nothing more yawn-inducing than people like you blaming assistants without knowing what's going on.

Bont2Boyd

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
See? You're doing it again. You don't know what the current assistants have been saying to him at all. For all anyone here knows, they may have been trying, only for Beveridge to discard them.

Nothing more yawn-inducing than people like you blaming assistants without knowing what's going on.
Any half-decent review would have been able to determine if the assistants were able to challenge the senior coach or were being shut down. That's why I said there should have been a review. For ****'s sake, I'm not claiming to know what happened behind closed doors, despite your insistence that I do.

You're an insolent so-and-so aren't you. Welcome to ignore, you're not worth the time of day.

Mattdougie

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Any half-decent review would have been able to determine if the assistants were able to challenge the senior coach or were being shut down. That's why I said there should have been a review. For ****'s sake, I'm not claiming to know what happened behind closed doors, despite your insistence that I do.

You're an insolent so-and-so aren't you. Welcome to ignore, you're not worth the time of day.
Don’t challenge some of these people mate it’s never their fault and they are always right

Antares

Club Legend
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

You're doing it again now. Everyone holding a position at the club gets reviewed to a degree every year, particularly at seasons end, and you're in no position to assess the quality of those reviews, because once again, you're not informed on the matter.

dogwatch

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Thread starter #97

Well that escalated quickly ...

Question for you - why bump an old thread with a question if you won't tolerate a response with a divergent opinion? Serious question.

Discussing assistant coaches in the context of Beveridge's coaching performance is entirely relevant. Not being a club insider would disqualify 99% of the people who post here so if having inside knowledge is a requirement we might as well close down the board.

Antares

Club Legend
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well that escalated quickly ...

Question for you - why bump an old thread with a question if you won't tolerate a response with a divergent opinion? Serious question.
Well...
1. I just searched for the Beveridge thread and clicked one.
2. Won't tolerate? Huh?

Discussing assistant coaches in the context of Beveridge's coaching performance is entirely relevant. Not being a club insider would disqualify 99% of the people who post here so if having inside knowledge is a requirement we might as well close down the board.
I still don't think anyone here is in a position to make an assessment on assistant coaches. Their job is to conduct drills that help the players conform to the coach's gameplan. If something wasn't working, they'd have been changed already, and if not, it's not like anyone here would know to begin with. As fans, we can only look at how the team's playing, but if they're playing poorly, it's silly to criticize aspects of the club nobody here actually understands.

Top Bottom