Analysis Beveridge - where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the same token, by keeping our assistants we are protecting our own IP.

It's not like our gameplan isn't already figured out my oppo teams at this point...

Refresh of all assistance is needed, regardless of how well the team is doing, you always need fresh blood coming in.

Yep plus Melbourne brought in mark Williams, Essendon brought in Caracella and Gia, I’m a big believer in bringing in a new assistants from other AFL clubs every couple of years, it not only gives fresh ideas but also gives you insight into another club. 6 or more years with no changes in assistants is just too long in my opinion.
A major factor to the Demons change in fortune is due to Adam Yze rejoining as an assistant. I sat at the pre season game we played against them right near where the coaches walked up, and he was the most vocal coach. Which proves that you dont need a huge turnover of players, or the head coach to change how they play. But you do need some sort of change.

I've got no doubt that there will be some type of 'review' if we lose to Essendon, how could there not be! Some are saying that another Elimination Final loss demonstrates we have not improved over recent seasons. I think it demonstrates a decline, irrespective of where we finished on the ladder. It's a decline in mental and physical toughness to go the distance and at least to achieve the required result, which is, at the very least, getting to the 2nd week of a finals campaign.
I'm sure there will be changes if we finish the season meekly; unless the club administration is totally complacent, the pressure for change is bound to come.

Last edited:

It's not like our gameplan isn't already figured out my oppo teams at this point...

Refresh of all assistance is needed, regardless of how well the team is doing, you always need fresh blood coming in.
Following your logic, if ours is figured out then oppos is too, so why the need to bring in new ideas if teams have already figured out everyone's game plans.

You can't have it both ways. You have to acknowledge that by gaining others IP, we'd be conceding some of our own.

I'm not against bringing in new assistants btw, just making a point that would need to be considered.

I'm disappointed with the world weary hangdog appearance Bev gives off in his public appearances. He's not shy of using excuses such as lockdown to account for poor performances.
There's no reason why lockdown should be affecting our team more than others, especially GWS and Sydney. Though we'd never know, as the other coaches don't talk about it.

It's Bev's job to put his gameface on and rock up to work with a smile on his face. He's an emotional coach, but not every emotion is appropriate in the workplace. My job isn't as complex, but as a primary school teacher I can't front up to a bunch of six year olds with a grimace and a sook. You can't let your background problems affect your work, or use them as an excuse. If you really are suffering, then it's appropriate to seek help or take some time off. That's where some trusted assistants would really help. I don't know what the rules are around such matters, but I've never seen anyone except Bev take a media conference. It's rare for our assistants to do any media. The Bont feels like Bev's 2nd in command, and he's got enough on his shoulders.

Remember the time Clarkson took off his top in Tassie and got all his players to do the same in the freezing cold? It was daggy but it worked. We could do with a bit of that right now.

I have Essenon as favourite's this week as they are enjoying their football.

I'm disappointed with the world weary hangdog appearance Bev gives off in his public appearances. He's not shy of using excuses such as lockdown to account for poor performances.
There's no reason why lockdown should be affecting our team more than others, especially GWS and Sydney. Though we'd never know, as the other coaches don't talk about it.

It's Bev's job to put his gameface on and rock up to work with a smile on his face. He's an emotional coach, but not every emotion is appropriate in the workplace. My job isn't as complex, but as a primary school teacher I can't front up to a bunch of six year olds with a grimace and a sook. You can't let your background problems affect your work, or use them as an excuse. If you really are suffering, then it's appropriate to seek help or take some time off. That's where some trusted assistants would really help. I don't know what the rules are around such matters, but I've never seen anyone except Bev take a media conference. It's rare for our assistants to do any media. The Bont feels like Bev's 2nd in command, and he's got enough on his shoulders.

Remember the time Clarkson took off his top in Tassie and got all his players to do the same in the freezing cold? It was daggy but it worked. We could do with a bit of that right now.

I agree with this generally but can you point me to the time Bevo blamed our poor performances on lockdown? I watched every press conference this year and don't recall seeing that.

Its just not right to say that Bev is the only coach to mention covid protocols as a challenge. I've noticed Hardwick, Longmire, Simpson have done so far more regularly as a casual listener. If all coaches were listened to closely, I'd be amazedd if any have not mentioned it at all.

Following your logic, if ours is figured out then oppos is too, so why the need to bring in new ideas if teams have already figured out everyone's game plans.

You can't have it both ways. You have to acknowledge that by gaining others IP, we'd be conceding some of our own.

I'm not against bringing in new assistants btw, just making a point that would need to be considered.

We have already conceded our own through Gia, Corey and Montgomery being elsewhere without any coming in?

Also most teams tinker with their game plan during the off-season so in terms of absolute game plan you don’t necessarily give that up but if player A can’t handle a tag or being verbally goaded things like that can be used/exploited.

I believe clubs like any organisation can get stale of new people/voices aren’t brought in from time to time. Not every year but 6+ years with no new voices is concerning in my opinion

Dealing with work colleagues is an entirely different experience over Skype than it is in the office.

I'd imagine that Beveridge doing his presser remotely is not any different. When I watch them I don't cringe at Beveridges demeanour. I cringe at the technical limitations of the technology and the standard of questions that he is dealing with.

Its little wonder that he approaches them with little enthusiasm.

His general absence in the media in general is another question entirely. Forgive me if he has fronted up this week as I'm currently in the middle of a self imposed football media blackout. One that I don't expect to leave until Sunday afternoon.

By the same token, by keeping our assistants we are protecting our own IP.
Is this really a significant issue? What sort of IP would we have that is largely unknown by others and worth protecting from one year to the next? (One week or one month to the next is a different story.)

I'd have thought IP in footy is an arms race where currency and value only last a few weeks or months - a full season at best. By then your opponents' ideas and strategies have moved forward so you have to do so as well, hopefully to leapfrog them.

The exception being where the coach can't or won't innovate and evolve it. I presume you're not implying that.

IP about players might be a small part of it (weaknesses, dislikes, chronic injuries, etc) but surely that stuff gets around the traps pretty quickly, especially from season to season with so many players changing clubs.

Is this really a significant issue? What sort of IP would we have that is largely unknown by others and worth protecting from one year to the next? (One week or one month to the next is a different story.)

I'd have thought IP in footy is an arms race where currency and value only last a few weeks or months - a full season at best. By then your opponents' ideas and strategies have moved forward so you have to do so as well, hopefully to leapfrog them.

The exception being where the coach can't or won't innovate and evolve it. I presume you're not implying that.

IP about players might be a small part of it (weaknesses, dislikes, chronic injuries, etc) but surely that stuff gets around the traps pretty quickly, especially from season to season with so many players changing clubs.
I'm not saying it's an issue.
It's in response to the argument that we need to get assistants in from other teams to get their IP. I'm just highlighting that something to consider is we'd then be losing some of our own. I'm not sure it's considered that generally when people hammer on about getting new assistants.

I think all teams do lots of little things differently in coaching and preparation from season to season. Something like our handball club is not really a massive thing, but that gave us a competitive edge over several seasons. I'm sure each head coach has their little systems/procedures that they employ that could potentially become common practice across the league if they became common knowledge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teague officially sacked, who's calling him up as our new forward coach?

We could employ him to sit at Bev's right shoulder on Thursday and whisper "Listen Bev dafuq? You think anyone's gonna dine out on this plate of horsehit you be servin up every week?"

I regret saying that I hope Bevo resigns. I had a moment of weakness and I temporarily lost faith.

Is he infallible? Definitely not. Is he somewhat responsible for the recruiting failures that have lead to our ruck situation? Probably.

But he's a bloody good coach. He's a good tactician and the players love him. There's probably a dozen clubs who wish he was coaching them. He's not perfect but he's ours. After some of the s**t coaches we have suffered and after seeing clubs like Carlton spend decades trying to find a good one, we should appreciate him a bit more than we do.

I regret saying that I hope Bevo resigns. I had a moment of weakness and I temporarily lost faith.

Is he infallible? Definitely not. Is he somewhat responsible for the recruiting failures that have lead to our ruck situation? Probably.

But he's a bloody good coach. He's a good tactician and the players love him. There's probably a dozen clubs who wish he was coaching them. He's not perfect but he's ours. After some of the sh*t coaches we have suffered and after seeing clubs like Carlton spend decades trying to find a good one, we should appreciate him a bit more than we do.
Well said Scrag. I'm one of the one's who gets accused of being a "Bev apologist" as if it's an insult. The man delivered what me and my father never thought we'd see in our lifetimes, i'll forever be appreciative towards him and his crew.

Does that give him a lifetime pass? Absolutely not. If we cop a belting this week my faith in him would be severely shaken but I honestly don't think that happens.

I think a lot of us forget just how hard this competition is and that sometimes other clubs are just that little bit better, or have been through more adversity, or are more experienced or have had more luck with injuries around key players.

I mentioned in another thread that all of those teams that finished above us have all lost either prelims or grand finals in the last 3 years. They are the hungriest teams in it. The Cats were 15 up at half time of the GF, they are desperate, hardened and experienced. The Power lost by a kick to the eventual Premier in a Prelim, they are desperate, hardened and experienced. The Lions were 5 points down at halftime of their prelim, they are desperate, hardened and experienced. The Dees rode a wave like we did a few years ago but got stopped in an interstate prelim, they are desperate, hardened, talented and have had unbelievable continuity.

We took a massive step forward this year by not only competing but beating 3 of those teams and being in front of the other when the final siren rang. It wont be a failure if we lose to one of these teams in the finals. It will make us harder, more desperate and more experienced.

I still think we can win it this year but we will have to be Clay and Picko type desperate and I'm just not sure if we're quite there yet. Does Bonti want to be a Premiership skipper as desperately as Selwood and Gawn do? Do Libba and Dunks want to dig in for 120 mins as much as Boak and Wines and Oliver and Neale do? Will Naughts have the nerve to kick clutch goals when we need it like Hawkins, Dixon and T-Mac do? Will Keath scrap and fight for every inch like Andrews, May and Jonas will? We'll find out soon enough...can't wait.

It's a lose-lose situation.

If we lose to Essendon, we end their 17 year losing streak in finals, which is a disaster.
If we win, this season gets marked by the board as a good season, and a big improvement on the last two seasons because we won a final. This means no review, no scrutiny on the coach, and things remain exactly the way they are, with Beveridge getting free reign to do whatever he wants.

So by your reckoning a win with the potential to win again is a loss?

Im not sure that you thought this through altman.

So by your reckoning a win with the potential to win again is a loss?

Im not sure that you thought this through altman.
Clearly an alt. Norm

I have always been of the view the football department should be reviewed yearly with a deeper review every 3 to 5 years.

To say Bev cannot coach is a nonsense. Many clubs would love 5 out of 7 years in finals and a flag after the like of the McCartney years.

However we as a club in all areas should always be looking to improve so as a member I do expect due dilligence each year

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Clearly an alt. Norm

I have always been of the view the football department should be reviewed yearly with a deeper review every 3 to 5 years.

To say Bev cannot coach is a nonsense. Many clubs would love 5 out of 7 years in finals and a flag after the like of the McCartney years.

However we as a club in all areas should always be looking to improve so as a member I do expect due dilligence each year

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Reviews and turning over of staff is a good thing.

However, this wasn't an issue around here whilst we were winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back