Analysis Beveridge - where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Everyone just wants to win, all the time

Reviews and turning over of staff is a good thing.

However, this wasn't an issue around here whilst we were winning.
You mustn't have paid much attention then...it's been an issue discussed on here for four years.

Last edited:
You mustn't have paid much attention then...it's been an issue discussed on here for four years.

C'mon Mutt, this glib, disingenuous reply is the best you've got?

Of course I paid attention, but you already knew that. its the reason I pointed out that the discussion simmers down when we are winning and always rears its head we we aren't. I recall a time when Gia was the go to guy to blame for all coaching evil or when people moaned incessantly about a line coach being responsible for a line he never played in. I note that the subject of Bett Montgomerys departure even got a fresh airing in here once agin recently as as proof of Beveridges megalomania. This one amuses me no end. So yeah, Im clearly the one not paying much attention.

C'mon Mutt, this glib, disingenuous reply is the best you've got?

Of course I paid attention, but you already knew that. its the reason I pointed out that the discussion simmers down when we are winning and always rears its head we we aren't. I recall a time when Gia was the go to guy to blame for all coaching evil or when people moaned incessantly about a line coach being responsible for a line he never played in. I note that the subject of Bett Montgomerys departure even got a fresh airing in here once agin recently as as proof of Beveridges megalomania. This one amuses me no end. So yeah, Im clearly the one not paying much attention.
It's always been an issue. I wasn't being glib.

I’m frustrated with Luke, but no way I would advocate replacing him.
If we lose to Essendon, the club will review the season and determine what went wrong.
People saying we have not selected a ruckman are wrong - we just haven’t selected the ruckman we think should be playing.
I personally feel that Luke has handled a number of players poorly this year. All of Wallis, West, Lipinski, McLean, Richards, Sweet, Young and Schache have not been given the opportunity or continuity of others.

He definitely backs in the players he believes in so we will see how they respond against Essendon.

On the ruck thing, surely Luke would be listening to the likes of Bont, Libba, McRae and if they say we want Sweet or Martin in, then they come, but maybe they see it like Luke does and are comfortable conceding the ruck contest and prefer the around the ground value of Young until Sweet is fitter and Martin is match fit ?

Reviews and turning over of staff is a good thing.

However, this wasn't an issue around here whilst we were winning.
You're right on there being less of the sentiment and that is part of the fickle nature of sports fandom.

However I have been pushing this rock up this particular hill since 2018 and have receipts talking about it this year especially after the Richmond debacle.

You're right on there being less of the sentiment and that is part of the fickle nature of sports fandom.

However I have been pushing this rock up this particular hill since 2018 and have receipts talking about it this year especially after the Richmond debacle.

Agree I have also pushing this rock since the start of 2017 (after change of assistant coach dutie roles) Its not rocket science a good manager needs a good 2 I C and for that 2 I C to push the man in charge I gather Ashley Hanshen or Rohan Smith are doing this

Agree I have also pushing this rock since the start of 2017 (after change of assistant coach dutie roles) Its not rocket science a good manager needs a good 2 I C and for that 2 I C to push the man in charge I gather Ashley Hanshen or Rohan Smith are doing this
Steven King is the senior assistant currently.

Given Ports panst’ing of Geelong you’d have to say losing to them by a lucky kick isn’t actually bad form at this point…

Sydney, Melbourne and Port the form teams for me.

Given Ports panst’ing of Geelong you’d have to say losing to them by a lucky kick isn’t actually bad form at this point…

Sydney, Melbourne and Port the form teams for me.
GWS are going ok too. Today's match should be a beauty. Winner will be a big chance to knock over Geelong and make a Prelim

This is not directed to any particular poster, but ALL those who have tried to somehow justify our loss to Port with Port's shellacking of Geelong.

You do all realise we were in front, and for much of the game, well in front, for all bar the last few mins? We should not have lost that game from the position we were in deep in the last quarter.

The result last night does not alleviate last week's result. So please stop stating it as some sort of crutch on here, it's meaningless.

As have I, it is good practice

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Honestly at the start of the season I had winning a final as the pass mark. A bare, unglamorous pass, but a pass.

I adjusted my expectations after our fast start, but regardless of the capitulation if we were to make a prelim then I’d definitely consider it an ok result.

If we lose, no I wouldn’t want him sacked. You might firmly get him to explain what happened, and you might introduce a new assistant or two to offer another voice.

Plenty of premiership sides have a string of finals failures behind them (including a Richmond side and WC side with three straight first week exits before a flag).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is not directed to any particular poster, but ALL those who have tried to somehow justify our loss to Port with Port's shellacking of Geelong.

You do all realise we were in front, and for much of the game, well in front, for all bar the last few mins? We should not have lost that game from the position we were in deep in the last quarter.

The result last night does not alleviate last week's result. So please stop stating it as some sort of crutch on here, it's meaningless.
They also missed a lot of chances like us against Essendon.

I get the sentiment, but as one of the aforementioned 'ALL', I'd argue the fact that we were comfortably in front of Port for large portions of the match shows that we can indeed mix it with the best. I can't speak for others, but for me, it was never about justifying the loss, which was a straight-out choke and incredibly deflating, considering the stakes, but what Port showed us yesterday was they are a dangerous footy team chock-full of weapons - the overwhelming majority of which we were able to not only hold at bay, but return fire to the point where we had them on the ropes.

Obviously last night's result doesn't go one iota towards justifying anything, other than a strong conviction that at our best we can beat anyone. Even with the bitter disappointment of the past few weeks, I choose to consider that a positive.
How much of the choke was due to be being gassed? Our pressure was superb in the first quarter and it showed on the scoreboard. It clearly dropped off as the game progressed while Port's didn't. Theirs lifted if anything. Was that drop-off just loss of focus, or did we run out of petrol? Either way it's a concern.

The intense pressure needs to be for four quarters today.

Seriously, the way he engineered Young, Schache and English all rotating forward (and obviously through the ruck & backline) was magnificent.

Whether it was always a plan (wink, wink) or not (nudge, nudge) I'll be amazed if Shack doesn't play next week.

I'm on record as saying Schache would never play AFL again, but it's obviously amazing what some self belief + a decent game plan can produce.

Pumped. 😎

We only lost the hit outs 44-33. I would say the rotating of Young and English worked well once Draper tired.

Having the extra tall forward worked great as it’s allows Naughton to lead up to the wing as well.

Been a long time coming.

One win doesn't invalidate legit criticism. Just as one loss doesn't mean he has to go. I for one would still like to see some constructive consideration of the coaching roster.

Sensible discussion of coaching doesn't have to be a pissing contest.

Today was great, and Bevo had a big hand in that along with a committed 22. Credit where and when it's due ... and we know he's capable of excellent coaching. We just don't see it as often as we'd like.

Today the wet weather also played into our hands, and so did a pusillanimous opposition once we applied some heat.

A bigger test awaits week by week this September, especially if it's dry. If Bevo gets us another flag he's a genius, if he gets us to a GF it's still a fantastic achievement from 5th.

No doubt a lot of people at the club - like all of us on BF - are feeling a lot more at ease now than a week ago. Bevo included.

Many clubs going down the route of former senior coaches as assistants - Voss, Leppitsch, Pyke, Richardson, Knights. Can't see Bevo going for that model, but you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back