Analysis Beveridge - where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone getting their noses out of joint about Roughead, he was done at our club last two years. Struggled to get on the park and continually was getting smashed in the ruck most weeks. He’s gone to Collingwood and is playing a role in a very good defensive unit. He is only one injury from the end imo
I'm more worried about Rougheads comments than his form. I think it was the right move for us to part ways with him last year, continually injured and form had stagnated / gotten worse.

What worries me is that he always seemed like a pretty measured bloke who loved the club - to say what he has in the press is a massive whack to Bev. In my opinion, if Roughy feels that way, he wouldnt be the only one.

I'm more worried about Rougheads comments than his form. I think it was the right move for us to part ways with him last year, continually injured and form had stagnated / gotten worse.

What worries me is that he always seemed like a pretty measured bloke who loved the club - to say what he has in the press is a massive whack to Bev. In my opinion, if Roughy feels that way, he wouldnt be the only one.
I was going to post something similar. It worries me too. Tom Campbell could be another case in point but we're less likely to read about that as he's not a prominent player and Norf is not a prominent club.

I can happily disregard most of what Dalhaus says because he seems more focussed on himself, but Roughead to me has always seemed fair, balanced and thoughtful.

If our culture is so awful I wonder why guys like Macrae, McLean, Hunter and Naughton signed long term deals recently.

You do realise that players moving to a new club and experiencing a spike in form is a well documented phenomenon right? They call it the honeymoon period. Doesn't indicate that the previous club has issues. If you're going to judge us on the players who have left then you also have to take into account the ones we have retained, which is a much bigger and more impressive list.
Macrae, Hunter, Maclean and Naughton were all given long term contracts and in the cases of Hunter and Naughton, on very good money. Ultimately it’s still a job for these guys

Roughead’s form was disastrous last year and it’s worth keeping in mind he spent time in defence and was badly exposed.

I read the article and after the comments here was expecting much worse. I doubt the comments were intended to be taken the way they were. It read more like he was trying to say he was stale.

Even if they were, it wouldn’t be the first time a player blamed the club they fell out of favour at.

I don’t see this as a particularly profound insight. I get the impression the coaches could manage their relationships with the players better but I don’t think Roughead or Dahlhaus were the answers to our on field woes.

Obviously this quote might be a bit clouded, but this is from Brett Montgomery in the leadup to the 2016 GF, remembering club had elected to dispense with his services a month earlier:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-29/we-need-to-be-more-mature-montgomerys-coaching-plea

"I thought after two years that was probably enough time and I was clearly never going to coach the Bulldogs."

"Luke's got a really strong skillset in coaching and he doesn't necessarily look for a lot of help from his coaches."

To temper it, he also was quoted with this:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/fo...s/news-story/65c83257fe3ecdbc07252c3f0cfdd8ad

Montgomery said he has “not been sitting idle” over the past six weeks, with the former on-baller in the mix for assistant coaching roles at other clubs.
But he hopes the Dogs can win their first flag since 1954.
“It’s been terrific seeing what the boys have been able to put together after having a relatively flat seven or eight weeks,” he said.
“I couldn’t be happier for them, the players, the club and the supporters. They’ve deserved this and waited so long. It’s great to see how much they’ve thrown themselves into this.”
Montgomery was a backstabber, that’s why they got rid of him. He was trying to get Bevo’s job, but was never gonna happen.

Related to this, Bev was the most outspoken coach against the limitation of runners. Why do you think? Because we consistently put out one of the youngest teams each week. It's probably a decent reason why we've recruited the likes of Duryea and Hayes, when they are probably only negligibly better than younger players already on our list.
Outdated excuse

Cant wait to read this thread when we extend his contract in a few weeks.
Tbh I just want it to be announced already.

I'm not his biggest fan at the moment, but the board know better and i will back them in.

I know he still has another year left on his current contract but i would like a statement on our club's direction by a re-signing.

Monty challenged Bev
Dalrymple challenged Bev
McCarthy challenged Bev

Pattern?

Right on the first two.

Wrong on the last.

McCarthy hated Dalrymple (not many liked him) and made the call to leave. Had a great relationship with Bevo. By the time the club moved Dalrymple on McCarthy had just moved.

Right on the first two.

Wrong on the last.

McCarthy hated Dalrymple (not many liked him) and made the call to leave. Had a great relationship with Bevo. By the time the club moved Dalrymple on McCarthy had just moved.

So now not many liked Dalrymple even though most in this forum blew wind up his butt like he was the messiah of drafting?

The narrative changes again and surprisingly the negative opinions only come out after someone has left.

No idea why we aren’t so successful seeing everyone that is at the club is perfect and anyone that leaves was poor

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So now not many liked Dalrymple even though most in this forum blew wind up his butt like he was the messiah of trading?

The narrative changes again
Dalrymple job was to draft kids. Mcartney’s role was to do trades.

Right on the first two.

Wrong on the last.

Pretty accurate from what I was told on him too. Dalrymple was good at what he did but wasn't well liked, in fact quite the opposite.

Roughead’s form was disastrous last year and it’s worth keeping in mind he spent time in defence and was badly exposed.

I read the article and after the comments here was expecting much worse. I doubt the comments were intended to be taken the way they were. It read more like he was trying to say he was stale.

Even if they were, it wouldn’t be the first time a player blamed the club they fell out of favour at.

I don’t see this as a particularly profound insight. I get the impression the coaches could manage their relationships with the players better but I don’t think Roughead or Dahlhaus were the answers to our on field woes.
That’s the trouble though. He was out of form, but what was his role? What is anyone’s role? Woody still hasn’t recovered from his disastrous venture forward.

Everyone seems to do a bit of this, a bit of that. Bevo needs to really strip it back and simplify. Give everyone clear roles that suit their strengths. If players are naturally versatile that’s fine, but stop trying to coach it into them. Coach other things into them like, I dunno, how to accurately kick for goal?

PLEASE NOTE:

I have merged the 4 active Luke Beveridge threads into this single thread.

- Mutt

WHHHAAATTTT?! How can I now be outraged in some Bevo threads while simultaneously showing my BF Bulldogs poster bipolarity by being in total agreeance in others!? 😀
(If this post, while meant in good humour, offends anyone, please let me know and I will delete it.)

Recruiters recruit from the TAC and state leagues. When we recruit players from other clubs that is the coach. I don’t know how well we’ve done this. Crosier has been very good, Suckling’s good is good, but can be patchy. Jury’s still out on Lloyd for me.
But it is terrible seeing Dahlhaus and Roughead running around in other
Colours. Add Stringer and Hamling to that list and it gets worse. People on here payout on Chris Scott, but he must be doing something right to keep those players happy.

It took up 62 long years to find a premiership coach. He overachieved with the playing group in 2016 and delivers us a flag. Under 3 years later we are halfway through a mini rebuild. With no fault of his own we have the worst KPP’s in the league. And people are already wanting to sack him. After everything he’s done for our footy club. And the joy he’s given us over our amazing finals run. And also recently by developing future stars like Naughton, Bailey smith and English. Some “fans” make me embarrassed to support the Western Bulldogs.
I honestly don’t think any paid up member would be asking for Beveridge to be sacked. Because every paid up member who puts their hard earned into the club knows how special Bevo is to our footy club. As Ash1337 said. If Richmond sacked Dimma after 6 years at the club than he wouldn’t be a premiership coach. And if Buckley was sacked after 6 years, he wouldn’t have taken Collingwood to a grand final.

We are 3 players short of completing our rebuild with another top 10 pick coming in and an abundance of salary cap cash. After we get out of this and back on track I want everyone to remember who it was advocating for Beveridge to be sacked.

There isn’t a coach who’s available out there that will do a better job than Luke can do.

These were my comments just after a month ago after we lost to north. I said it then and I’ll say it now.
There is absolutely no coach out there who would be realistically available who I would want to coach this footy club.
He’s an absolute champion and I can’t wait to see what the future holds when we splash around some of that cash we have in the war chest.

I ******* love you Bevo!!!!! 💕💕💕💕

These were my comments just after a month ago after we lost to north. I said it then and I’ll say it now.
There is absolutely no coach out there who would be realistically available who I would want to coach this footy club.
He’s an absolute champion and I can’t wait to see what the future holds when we splash around some of that cash we have in the war chest.

I ******* love you Bevo!!!!! 💕💕💕💕
Glad your night seems to have got a bit better mate! :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back