Analysis Beveridge - where to from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Do yourself a favour and go back to page 20 and read the comments.
People turning on Bevo make me absolutely sick. Stick it up them Bevo!!
Just saw you like my comment telling all those that turned against him to GAGF. Never lost faith myself, if you're ranking coaches that clubs would take if they could it's Clarko 1, Bevo 2.

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In other words you have no answers so will pretend You are ignoring me. Fair enough I expected nothing more.

Have a great night and another one ticked off with a yellow line.

Ciao
We all lauded him for being able to get these blokes up in 16 to a level lost have not gotten close to ever again. Well other than the blokes that have gone to other clubs that seem to give going pretty well.

So if he was the major reason for the flag how is he not a part of the fall?

Now the shoe is on the other foot MD. You made these comments after two disappointing losses. We’ve now put together two of the best performances since 2016.

How did Dahlhaus go tonight? Now the honey moon period has worn off he’s now back to fluffing his kicks and playing average footy. We don’t miss him at all.

I’d take the bloke wearing the #6 for us tonight over him any day. He’s still 18 years old and is going to be an absolute star. And actually knows how to finish in front of the goals. Sometimes in footy you just need to move on from some players. And moving on from Dahlhaus was the absolute right call.

The only one that still stings was losing Hamling. And I bet you any money he still wishes he was playing under a coach like Beveridge.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This thread is hilarious

I NEVER said sack Bevo but some did which I thought was premature.

By anyone that’s suggests after 2.5 years of ordinary footy he wasn’t struggling they are kidding themselves. The last two weeks have been great but what if we lost the next three?

Some of you are so one eyed you blame the players for any bad losses and then the coach is wholly the reason we win.

I guess some of you are happy to accept mediocrity from a premiership list and coach for two years and stick your heads up when things change

Lol it’s rather amusing how when we win some of you can’t enjoy it l you do is target others.

Great win tonight I’m very happy and proud as we all should be but the season isn’t over yet we can turn it into a pretty good one or still bin it

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ok Cadillac and Mattdougie - enough of the petty bickering. Consider this a warning.

Fair enough mate no problem but I’ve been on here all night

I didn’t wait until we were going ok and then target someone in 3 or 4 seperate threads and I’ve put it in ignore after he targeted me a few weeks ago and received a warning for it.

Anyway great win I accept your warning with respect and a smile

Name a another individual that can do the following:
- Win a premiership from 7th place (never done before)
- Win against the odds in every final.
- Win against WCE at home, Hawks at the G and Giants at spotless.
- Win the premiership under the conditions above with the biggest injury list during the H/A season and leading into the finals.
- Unite the club after one of the most tumultuous periods in the clubs history and win a premiership 2 years after losing Cooney, Griffen, Lake, Higgins + host of others.
- Win a premiership with one of the lowest (if not the lowest) football department expenditures in the league.

Beveridge is a god level talent and has earned at the very least 2 full rebuild cycles.

Its unfathomable so many people ITT want the coach that delivered us our first premiership in 60 odd years gone after 3 years. They indulged in the premiership but these same supporters are doing their best to kill the only golden goose bestowed on the club in all its god forsaken years. No doubt when they get their wish they'll bemoan our inability to challenge for a premiership (because the replacements don't have 1/500th of Beverige's talent) - it sometimes makes me wonder whether bulldog supporters are the architects of their own demise.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The 2016 win was a genuinely remarkable feat all around. It doesn’t mean he gets endless credits in the bank but I’d seriously want things to be disastrous before I’d consider getting rid of the architect of that win.

There are a lot of reasons for our slide. In my view the forced loss of personnel (particularly Picken, Smith, Redpath and Boyd) coupled with some shocking injury runs before this year (Wood, Morris, Dickson, Suckling, Libba etc) is the biggest.

There are legitimate questions about why players took their feet of the pedal (which definitely happened and even Bevo doesn’t deny) and why some players were effectively pushed out or wanted to bail.

That said, we fielded the youngest side of the year last year and still won eight and this year we’re still fielding one of the youngest teams and have improved quite a lot. We’ve been forced into a mini rebuild but I think it’s going well.

I think he’s the man to lead us and we should give him a long term deal. The players are playing out of their skins for him now and the talent just needs to be nurtured.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The 2016 win was a genuinely remarkable feat all around. It doesn’t mean he gets endless credits in the bank but I’d seriously want things to be disastrous before I’d consider getting rid of the architect of that win.

There are a lot of reasons for our slide. In my view the forced loss of personnel (particularly Picken, Smith, Redpath and Boyd) coupled with some shocking injury runs before this year (Wood, Morris, Dickson, Suckling, Libba etc) is the biggest.

There are legitimate questions about why players took their feet of the pedal (which definitely happened and even Bevo doesn’t deny) and why some players were effectively pushed out or wanted to bail.

That said, we fielded the youngest side of the year last year and still won eight and this year we’re still fielding one of the youngest teams and have improved quite a lot. We’ve been forced into a mini rebuild but I think it’s going well.

I think he’s the man to lead us and we should give him a long term deal. The players are playing out of their skins for him now and the talent just needs to be nurtured.

I don’t think many people really wanted him to get sacked even if they said it(I did not).

Most who were doubting him(and I am one) wanted a change in assistants and him seeing out his contract which after the last 2.5 years I think is fair.

The problem with that is there is no doubt that StKilda are sniffing around him as we speak so slowing his contract to run out, if he is the man, is very dangerous.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don’t think many people really wanted him to get sacked even if they said it(I did not).

Most who were doubting him(and I am one) wanted a change in assistants and him seeing out his contract which after the last 2.5 years I think is fair.

The problem with that is there is no doubt that StKilda are sniffing around him as we speak so slowing his contract to run out, if he is the man, is very dangerous.
Some assistants been there for a long time so wouldn't be bad for them or us to shake things up.

The Saints are in a tough spot if they want him because they need him next year and he's contracted (as long as he doesn't have a Lyon style get out clause, which I doubt many do now). We're in the box seat to retain him, but we should move now in my view.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Some assistants been there for a long time so wouldn't be bad for them or us to shake things up.

The Saints are in a tough spot if they want him because they need him next year and he's contracted (as long as he doesn't have a Lyon style get out clause, which I doubt many do now). We're in the box seat to retain him, but we should move now in my view.

If the Saints really want him they go all out this year with whatever they have to offer. I doubt very much Bev would walk from a contract but he may let it run out knowing he has options either way.

I still want to see at least two new assistants for next year because as you said we have had the same group for a long time

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
All of the mature recruits we have signed from other clubs under beveridge have been great and have continued to develop. This is why I'm all in on jack martin, not sold on the player he currently is but i am sold on the player he will be under Beveridge.

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
All of the mature recruits we have signed from other clubs under beveridge have been great and have continued to develop. This is why I'm all in on jack martin, not sold on the player he currently is but i am sold on the player he will be under Beveridge.
I mean who the hell predicted Duryea would be a key cog in our backline?

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I mean who the hell predicted Duryea would be a key cog in our backline?
Well, I guess the guy that coached him in defence in those premierships saw it coming!

I will say that I had a feeling he’d be pretty solid for us. Taking players that have fallen out of favour elsewhere isn’t my favourite strategy but Trengove, Lloyd and Duryea have all been solid (Suckling and Crozier I don’t think fit the bill - their sides would have kept them).

All in all I think Bev has done about the best he can with the hand he’s been dealt. Losing a lot of experience from an already inexperienced side hurts.

What I hope is that he’s being challenged. There are things I don’t like - such as constantly changing the lineup, obsession with flexibility and his ability to hold a grudge. The first two are much less of an issue now which is good.

Would give him a solid long term deal now - we’re building which is what I hoped for this year. Maybe make the final year contingent on finals etc but I’d be confident we’ll be back soon.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
He's coaching well now, but earlier on in the year, it's fair to say some of the selection and coaching moves were absolutely perplexing. You can only comment on what you observe week by week.

That you are perplexed by something doesn't necessarily mean it was a bad decision. Your failure to understand something could be the result of you not having all of the information.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Well, I guess the guy that coached him in defence in those premierships saw it coming!

I will say that I had a feeling he’d be pretty solid for us. Taking players that have fallen out of favour elsewhere isn’t my favourite strategy but Trengove, Lloyd and Duryea have all been solid (Suckling and Crozier I don’t think fit the bill - their sides would have kept them).

All in all I think Bev has done about the best he can with the hand he’s been dealt. Losing a lot of experience from an already inexperienced side hurts.

What I hope is that he’s being challenged. There are things I don’t like - such as constantly changing the lineup, obsession with flexibility and his ability to hold a grudge. The first two are much less of an issue now which is good.

Would give him a solid long term deal now - we’re building which is what I hoped for this year. Maybe make the final year contingent on finals etc but I’d be confident we’ll be back soon.

Constantly changing the lineup? We haven't made a single change for the last few weeks which wasn't dictated by injury. And I would argue we haven't dropped a player this year that wasn't completely warranted. The only weird decision we have made this year regarding selection was the failed Gardner experiment. The dropping of Schache and McLean and the holding back of Lipinski were all criticised heavily on here but ended up getting the best out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back