Analysis Beveridge - where to from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattie2016

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He is not going to want nor like that.

He would rather just say...... Ive had a blast - there is a 4 foot swell at bells - see ya.
He is forthright and stubborn in his opinions - so you would argue people who stand up to him may well cause more instability around the place.

Worked for buckley and dimma I know - And Bevo may change like they both did personally- I just dont see it.
Any time for reflection on this comment?!

Mattie2016

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It looks as though that he was the right coach at the right time but there’s no evidence that he’s the right coach to take the club forward. I was staggered there weren’t any other coaches brought in after last years debacle. Given he’s almost certain to be there next year there needs to be a complete overhaul of the assistants to see if that will change something.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Still on this line of thinking or have you done another 180?

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Constantly changing the lineup? We haven't made a single change for the last few weeks which wasn't dictated by injury. And I would argue we haven't dropped a player this year that wasn't completely warranted. The only weird decision we have made this year regarding selection was the failed Gardner experiment. The dropping of Schache and McLean and the holding back of Lipinski were all criticised heavily on here but ended up getting the best out of them.
That's why I said it wasn't much of an issue anymore.

wian

Premiership Player
May 21, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NZ Breakers / New York Knicks
That you are perplexed by something doesn't necessarily mean it was a bad decision. Your failure to understand something could be the result of you not having all of the information.
Good call, but footy is a week by week proposition, and supporters can only comment on the current form of the team as they see it.. To most supporters, there was certainly reason to be concerned from an outside perspective with some of the coaching selection decisions and game day moves.. Not having someone help English was very bizzare early in the year, and bringing in Gardner over Schache wa nothing Short of absurd.. You could argue a few of the decisions may have cost us a few games.. The team looks more balanced and better coached since the bye for sure..

Good call, but footy is a week by week proposition, and supporters can only comment on the current form of the team as they see it.. To most supporters, there was certainly reason to be concerned from an outside perspective with some of the coaching selection decisions and game day moves.. Not having someone help English was very bizzare early in the year, and bringing in Gardner over Schache wa nothing Short of absurd.. You could argue a few of the decisions may have cost us a few games.. The team looks more balanced and better coached since the bye for sure..

On the other hand, it's good to have an unpredictable coach who can learn from his mistakes. He's adaptable, and unafraid to try left-field moves. He was the first coach to not bother contesting some ruck contests, taken up by others.

I seriously doubt that Bev has done any grand U-turns in his coaching methodology mid-season. I think most of the criticism/praise cycle of Beveridge is entirely reactionary based around W/L, rather than any actual analysis of his coaching.

He's always been a fantastic coach.

stefcep

All Australian
Jun 6, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Against Port Adelaide his tactics to kick it off the ground rather than flick the handballs around worked a treat. Learned from the last time we played out there in the wet.

This week the tactics were tackling presssure and pinpoint foot passing inside fwd 50. The latter was a dismal failure-because the players couldn't hit the side of a barn. He clearly was pissed off with that during the game.

The pressure on the ball carrier was something like 2016 and evenetually broke Geelong.

If we make Finals his job is secure. If we dont make Finals he'll still get the gig, but the pressure will be on early next season.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I seriously doubt that Bev has done any grand U-turns in his coaching methodology mid-season. I think most of the criticism/praise cycle of Beveridge is entirely reactionary based around W/L, rather than any actual analysis of his coaching.

He's always been a fantastic coach.

Spot on. I read a lot about his early reluctance to bring in someone to help English in the ruck. Nothing has changed in that regard. We still play the sole ruckman with short people chopping him out, but for some reason posters think this issue has been rectified by a “stubborn” Bevo.
Our structures have barely changed all year, our players have been able to excecute better for longer in most games which has been the biggest change.
My only criticism is that Bevo, in some games, hasn’t been able to get the players up and about enough to get the job done ( GC, Blues and North )

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Rubbish.
Footy is not a week by week proposition. Bev is coaching for the now and for the future.
How you can make the above comments without all the relevant information is the absurd part.

Oct 7, 2007
Stage Left
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Beveridge has looked WAY more pissed off when players stuff up when the TV cameras flick to him in the last two games. (Maybe he's more animated in general but due to our gotcha and schadenfreude obsessed media culture we only get to see the bad stuff).

Anyway I don't really know what this means if anything, but I'm taking it as he thinks this team is good enough and it's go time.

Scary_Foot_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2013
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham, Cubs, Leafs, Ravens
Beveridge has looked WAY more pissed off when players stuff up when the TV cameras flick to him in the last two games. (Maybe he's more animated in general but due to our gotcha and schadenfreude obsessed media culture we only get to see the bad stuff).

Anyway I don't really know what this means if anything, but I'm taking it as he thinks this team is good enough and it's go time.

Yeah I've felt that there has been more of a sense of urgency in since the bye as well. I think he's realised with Bont, Macrae and Dunkley basically dominating - this shouldn't be a week-to-week development year - we can and should make the finals.

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

For a lot of supporters, it’s a week by week proposition and this forum jerks from premiership window to bottom 4 forever after every win or loss. Good coaches and footy departments on the other hand have a long term plan that most of us rank amateur wannabe experts ( including myself) don’t see. We spend most of our time reacting to individual bad kicks or missed spoils from our favourite targets while Bevo has a vision of where this team is heading. No coach is perfect but he’s in for the long haul. Tell St Kilda they’re dreaming. They carry on like he’s a legend of the club who is pining to return to the ancestral homeland to fulfil their destiny. Bevo is ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Sutton and Whitten may be club greats, but both struggled to coach once their on-field roles disappeared. Both struggled with the transition from captain-coach to just coach. Anyway, nothing to do with Bevo, who I expect to knock back Saints $1.5 mill per season and as many dwarves as you can smoke offer, to expand his role with us and simultaneously coach the AFLW side and manage the banner message each week as well.

Sutton and Whitten may be club greats, but both struggled to coach once their on-field roles disappeared. Both struggled with the transition from captain-coach to just coach. Anyway, nothing to do with Bevo, who I expect to knock back Saints $1.5 mill per season and as many dwarves as you can smoke offer, to expand his role with us and simultaneously coach the AFLW side and manage the banner message each week as well.
Agree.
Whitten was a great footballer and an inspiring advocate for state vs state footy but he didn't achieve much as a coach other than the 1961 GF. And that was just a brief moment in the sun. He was unfortunate to be coach when our administration and finances were rock bottom but for most of his coaching years we were easybeats.

I know Bevo has a solid administration and reasonable finances to back him and they're from very different eras but I still reckon he's streets ahead of Whitten as a coach. Can't really comment on the early Sutton years but I remember '67 (last) and '68 (third last). I'd say Bevo has Sutton covered too.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Agree.
Whitten was a great footballer and an inspiring advocate for state vs state footy but he didn't achieve much as a coach other than the 1961 GF. And that was just a brief moment in the sun. He was unfortunate to be coach when our administration and finances were rock bottom but for most of his coaching years we were easybeats.

I know Bevo has a solid administration and reasonable finances to back him and they're from very different eras but I still reckon he's streets ahead of Whitten as a coach. Can't really comment on the early Sutton years but I remember '67 (last) and '68 (third last). I'd say Bevo has Sutton covered too.

Yep, thanks dogwatch, you've gone into the detail I was debating whether to add. They were both unlucky, as a few of the 54 flag side departed fairly quickly, Abbey, Martin finished in 54, Bryden and Nuttall in 55, but most hung around until at least end of 58. We should have at least backed up finals but Norm Smith was coaching Melb, Kyne at Collingwood and both tactically astute, so we dropped off. Interestingly we played Cats in 56 semi, and after they led all day, including by 2 pts at 3/4 time, we kicked 0.5 to 0.1 in the last quarter to win by 2 points! So we still had the talent, most of the 54 side played through 55-58, some into 60. When Whitten took over mid-season in 57, some of the older players allegedly weren't too accepting, being captain-coached by a 23yo! And you're right, our finances and admin were well below par through this era, which didn't help.

As a coach, I think Bevo has almost our entire VFL/AFL coaching cohort covered, although Wheeler, Wallace and Eade certainly had their tactical highs. Personally, I think if Gordon didn't sack him, Wheeler could have got us to Wallace levels a few seasons ahead of 97/98, but we'll never know.

JJHunter

Club Legend
Jan 15, 2008
Toorak
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Any time for reflection on this comment?!

Absolutely not.
My comments haven’t changed

Should we not make finals this year - still likely - and out of contention for finals at the mid way point next year - beveridge and the club will be facing huge amounts of pressure after four non final years after a grand final win !

Two wins don’t change it.
Making finals this year would change it but I don’t believe - looking at other sides and their runs home - that we will make finals.

I’ll save you some time trolling and asking after every win whether my mind changes - Come back to the comment this time next year if we are out of finals contention.

Will be happy for my read on things to be different!

mattwa

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2007
wa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone with ties to the club know if Bevo is close to extending? Deserves an extension hes a fantastic coach and fantastic leader for our boys

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Anyone with ties to the club know if Bevo is close to extending? Deserves an extension hes a fantastic coach and fantastic leader for our boys
There's been a bit of talk that he'll be extending long term. Not sure though, would've thought it should've happened by now..

theburst

Team Captain
Mar 28, 2008
vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
More love for Bevo in StKilda’s ‘Harves’ thread...Saints would be mad to not ask the question.
I reckon he won’t think about anything until we’re mathematically out of the Finals race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back