Analysis Beveridge - where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
dont know if its worth a new thread but i'll put this in here as Bev needs a hard look at it....

Jason Johannissen

By the end of 2016 JJ was the one of the best attacking half backs in the AFL. He held out on a contract with rumours Essendon were chasing him, he got the contract he wanted and fair enough at the time.
Since then he has been an average footballer, he does a few nice attacking runs a game but goes missing for the rest. We expect more for a player of his calibre. Overall he has been very dissappointing for almost 3 years now and he is in the prime of his career.

He is a massive part of our team being successful, how do we get JJ back to his best?

Playing Half back is out of the question now, as soon as a tag comes his game is over. He's been hit and miss the limited time he has been forward.
Do we drop him - probably can't as there is no one else to replace him plus there are plenty of others that could be dropped from week to week.
Does he need a challenge - as in play midfield. I know he is not a starting in centre midfielder but could this be something to challenge him and hoping it doesnt impact the current midfield group. i don't see it happening.
My choice... stick him on the wing for the rest of the year. He has the attributes to be a great wingman, he would compliment Hunter nicely on the opposite wing which is currently a liability with R.Smith, B.Williams, Lloyd, Dickson all rotating through. If he gets a tag on the wing, then that is less heat on our other mids around the ground.

Whatever it is, something needs fixing with JJ if we want to be a better team.

You do realise that sides started tagging him in 2017 right?

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City

TMoney22

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz, San Jose Sharks
Our defensive game plan is based on a defense that doesn't exist today

Boyd
- Experience and strength, typically played on mid and small forwards but when he was mismatched on a tall he wouldn't get beaten because he could match their strength. Due to his midfield experience he would also never lose a contest on the ground.
Murphy - Played above his height for a very long time early in his career. But easily took care of the dangerous small forwards like Betts. Evasive and quick off he could keep up with any opponent.
Morris - no words needed, a rock and never lost a contest against any type of opponent.
Hamling - Great closing speed, underrated as a defender.
Roberts - only played against certain type of forwards. His job was to spoil and thats it - he did this well with the other defenders around him
JJ - Provide the offense and played on the least dangerous forward. Usually took a forward to tag him which means taking a player away from the oppositions stragegy to kick goals. Elite quickness to cover ground in defense.
Biggs - Did the dirty work, applied pressure, wasnt scared to go up against others double his size. Quick to cover ground in defense
Wood - Elite intercept and excellent decision making to help others spoil. Quick to cover ground. Could trust others to hold their ground and opponent while he did his job as 2nd or 3rd man into the contest.

Now all these players were excellent one on one due to either quickness or strength and the chemistry between each other. We could afford our defenders to push up and play an aggressive zone. Plus we always played a forward or two (usually Maclean, Dickson, Daniel) up at the contest to help our mids apply pressure so when the opposition mids did get the ball it was mostly a slow or poor entry. Thus making someone like Wood stand out and intercept.

Forward to today where our defenders don't have the strenght, quickness or experience to apply the strategy that worked with the above players.

Trengrove is playing Roberts role but he is doing it every week, and not just against the monsters.
Cordy is playing both Morris/Hamling roles but he doesnt have the strength or quickness of both.
Daniel is playing an offensive role which removes a player from the defensive strategy - breaks the zone!!!
Wood is playing the same role but cannot rely on others as he did previously. Is he capable of leading the defense without Morris/Boyd/Murphy.
JJ is playing the same role but he hasn't improved in any area. Actually got worse.
Crozier is playing the Murphy role. Tick but doesn't have the strength to handle mismatches
Duryea is playing the Biggs role. Tick

We still play a forward high to help the mids but this time it is either R.Smith, B.Williams, Suckling, Richards, Lloyd or Dickson who just doesn't have the legs he used to. These players do not impact contests up the ground.

Saying that, why do we have the same defensive strategy. It is obvious to me that we are too slow to cover ground to leading forwards or to help other defenders. We don't have the strength to match opposition forwards, only Trengrove can do that but our small and mid sized defenders dont have the strength to match opponents one on one or win contests. We dont have the experience to apply the plan.

So why do we continue to play like 2015/2016 with out aggressive zone when we don't have the players to do it??

Last edited:

Adz

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thread should be locked as he is here for at least four more years. Assistants aren’t going anywhere either over the off-season, that does t happen when you have just resigned the coach.

Adz

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thread should be locked as he is here for at least four more years. Assistants aren’t going anywhere either over the off-season, that does t happen when you have just resigned the coach.
I don’t believe beveridge is the best man for the job. There is nothing sinister in my motives. I also want Buckley moved on.

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You’ve been a member of Bigfooty since 2003. The fact you carry on like a fu*kwit on a Internet forum at the age of at least 40 proves you are a genuine nuffie.

I don’t believe beveridge is the best man for the job. There is nothing sinister in my motives. I also want Buckley moved on.
I've seen your posting on the main board, calling for various coaches to be sacked. Are there any coaches you actually rate?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fagan, Horse, Hinkley, C Scott among others
Longmire I'll give you, Fagan is looking very promising too after a rough start.

Hinckley's best result has been 5th and a preliminary final appearance after 7 seasons. So technically there's time for him to copy Hardwick by winning a flag next year, but it's not likely to happen.

Scott inherited a great team, but has failed to contest a grand final since the 2011 flag. That doesn't look like changing and they could even go out in straight sets :$

Have you actually visited the Geelong and Port boards? Both coaches are unpopular!

Unorth

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just as an aside, I do wonder about what happens if we miss finals next year. If we miss them this year, overall it'll be 3 years of outside the 8 with 2 years of finals in 5 seasons under Bevo. Obviously with the trend going from Finals>Premiership>No finals>No finals>No finals. There's a lot of factors at play, and we know Bevo has at times wanted to make big calls with the list, and at others we've just had rotten luck retirements/form. So we've been fielding the youngest team most weeks these last couple of seasons, and our ladder standings are pretty typical.

Just feels like next season has to be finals. This is just thinking about something that might well not even happen anyway. But after this season, if we miss out, that's more outside of the 8 finishes we'll have had under Bevo than finals appearances. If that were to continue next season I'd be pretty concerned.

By the way I very much back us to make finals next season, particularly if we fix a couple of holes. I think Bevo earned the right to create the list he wants. Definitely not saying as of right now I want him canned.

But I'm just wondering about ramifications if we miss out next season (Even knowing he's signed an extension). Four consecutive seasons of no finals appearances may well tip a lot of opinions (Or even if we make finals this season but miss out next). Have to see how it all plays out but the point of all this was just thinking about how much leeway he really gets in terms of post 2016 results/how 'safe' Bevo is in terms of future results.

Just as an aside, I do wonder about what happens if we miss finals next year. If we miss them this year, overall it'll be 3 years of outside the 8 with 2 years of finals in 5 seasons under Bevo. Obviously with the trend going from Finals>Premiership>No finals>No finals>No finals. There's a lot of factors at play, and we know Bevo has at times wanted to make big calls with the list, and at others we've just had rotten luck retirements/form. So we've been fielding the youngest team most weeks these last couple of seasons, and our ladder standings are pretty typical.

Just feels like next season has to be finals. This is just thinking about something that might well not even happen anyway. But after this season, if we miss out, that's more outside of the 8 finishes we'll have had under Bevo than finals appearances. If that were to continue next season I'd be pretty concerned.

By the way I very much back us to make finals next season, particularly if we fix a couple of holes. I think Bevo earned the right to create the list he wants. Definitely not saying as of right now I want him canned.

But I'm just wondering about ramifications if we miss out next season (Even knowing he's signed an extension). Four consecutive seasons of no finals appearances may well tip a lot of opinions (Or even if we make finals this season but miss out next). Have to see how it all plays out but the point of all this was just thinking about how much leeway he really gets in terms of post 2016 results/how 'safe' Bevo is in terms of future results.
Right now there's a pretty strong chance of that happening - i.e. 3 years in a row outside the finals after being premiers. Technically our fate is in our own hands - win all three games and we should make it - but we do have a hard run home.

No doubt this will have the knockers re-emerging and questioning Bevo's extension. However that is just noise. The fact is, he has already inked an extension and we need to move on. Here's something that might help if you're having difficulty doing that ...

The ladder for all games played after Rd 11:

In plain English we are the fifth best performed team in the 2nd half of the season and we'll move into the (notional) top 4 if we beat Essendon this week.

That will be cold comfort if we still end up outside the 8 after 23 rounds but it shows that for all the utensil-ups we made in the first half of the season we now seem to be on the right track.

bigroy87

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Have it on good authority that midfield coach Steve Grace hasn't had his contract renewed. Interesting given the midfield is one area of the program that is functioning effectively. Making way for a soon ex player, hoping this is not becoming a old boys club.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Have it on good authority that midfield coach Steve Grace hasn't had his contract renewed. Interesting given the midfield is one area of the program that is functioning effectively. Making way for a soon ex player, hoping this is not becoming a old boys club.

Becoming? It's been an old boys club for as long as I can remember. Whether that's bad I don't really know, but it's certainly not new. Rohan Smith, Gia, Chris Grant etc.
Even Bevo and Power played for the Dogs.

Spectre

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2008
Clayton Meth Labs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Could do worse than giving Dale Morris a job (not sure he'd be midfield coach though). Other than that, who do you mean? Picken? Toyd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back