Bevo is P155ed Off

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For those that really get stuck into individual whipping boys on here on a regular basis I'll advise you to watch Bevo's brief this week. It might change your thinking moving forward.

While he doesn't reference any players in particular, I get the feeling there are a few in mind. I'd also like to point out that I am no angel on this forum, but I've tried to be as positive as I can.

Roarke Smith is going to be THE story of the year for us, hopefully getting to play a final after so many injury setbacks. Josh Bruce played one of his best games for the club. His agression and effort has always been there this year however even when his form has not. And last but not least Ryan Gardner is growing every week. He's never going to be a star but gee whiz am I much more confident in our ability to defend any type of combination of forwards. Cordy has been free'd up to be the utility we all want him to be.

So, once again, please watch Bevo's brief. It may make you think twice about being a keyboard assassin and not having enough faith in our club, coaches, players, and process.

Smiley Boy

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For those that really get stuck into individual whipping boys on here on a regular basis I'll advise you to watch Bevo's brief this week. It might change your thinking moving forward.

While he doesn't reference any players in particular, I get the feeling there are a few in mind. I'd also like to point out that I am no angel on this forum, but I've tried to be as positive as I can.

Roarke Smith is going to be THE story of the year for us, hopefully getting to play a final after so many injury setbacks. Josh Bruce played one of his best games for the club. His agression and effort has always been there this year however even when his form has not. And last but not least Ryan Gardner is growing every week. He's never going to be a star but gee whiz am I much more confident in our ability to defend any type of combination of forwards. Cordy has been free'd up to be the utility we all want him to be.

So, once again, please watch Bevo's brief. It may make you think twice about being a keyboard assassin and not having enough faith in our club, coaches, players, and process.

Link the brief in here?

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think as supporters we have every right to be critical of players aswell as coaches but occasionally on here and more often then not in social media those critiques take a more person edge and that is not on. Then you have the people that message players directly and that is just absolutely horrid

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not having access to Bevos brief can somebody actually say what he's pissed off at?

I presume its not a state secret.
In summary, trolls targeting players. Said he signed up for a bit of trolling and abuse but they haven’t so if you see it pull it into line.

Obviously Gardner was the prime target but I’m sure Roarke and some others may have copped a bit and even English earlier in the year. Can’t stand that stuff. A comment on here about whether they should be dropped is one thing but DMing them and peppering the FB page etc is a step too far.

Jezdog

Rookie
Sep 21, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bevo can be pissed off all he wants, but the fans have been right, and I feel like Bevo has actually been listening to them. No one should abuse players, but fans are allowed to have opinions and disagree with the coaching. Things Fans have said and Bevo is actually starting to get. Gardener got crucified the night he played one on one against Hipwood. Gardener has been solid, but we’re finally playing three talls in defence instead of relying on wood to play tall. This has made a huge differences, should’ve happened a long time ago. English is back rucking majority of the game, allowing Dunkley to concentrate on just getting the ball, and selection has been a lot better. I swear this year we lost games at the selection table. I really do feel like Bevo had got a bit lost but seems to have turned around.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
In summary, trolls targeting players. Said he signed up for a bit of trolling and abuse but they haven’t so if you see it pull it into line.

Obviously Gardner was the prime target but I’m sure Roarke and some others may have copped a bit and even English earlier in the year. Can’t stand that stuff. A comment on here about whether they should be dropped is one thing but DMing them and peppering the FB page etc is a step too far.

Josh Bruce is another who has really copped it this year on social media and it was quite apparent that it was getting to him.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Bevo can be pissed off all he wants, but the fans have been right, and I feel like Bevo has actually been listening to them. No one should abuse players, but fans are allowed to have opinions and disagree with the coaching. Things Fans have said and Bevo is actually starting to get. Gardener got crucified the night he played one on one against Hipwood. Gardener has been solid, but we’re finally playing three talls in defence instead of relying on wood to play tall. This has made a huge differences, should’ve happened a long time ago. English is back rucking majority of the game, allowing Dunkley to concentrate on just getting the ball, and selection has been a lot better. I swear this year we lost games at the selection table. I really do feel like Bevo had got a bit lost but seems to have turned around.

Yeah, nah.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That’s not at all what he was talking about.

He was talking about trolls contacting players directly or doing it in a way that it would come to their attention.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not sure if this will work or not (don't steal my secret user ID!): https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/...pJobID=1100962790&spReportId=MTEwMDk2Mjc5MAS2

Josh Bruce also mentioned he'd been copping it a bit too. There is valid criticism which comes with the territory of being a professional sportsman, and then there is unacceptable abuse such as direct messaging players on Twitter/Instagram or personal insults.
Regardless of his form, he’s always the first to rev up a player who’s done something good or to celebrate a teammate’s goal. Seems a good clubman.

I’m sure we have some fans that do this but I hope a lot of it is from opposition supporters and not our own. I worry it is our own though.

Apr 22, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There is an old axiom in education that "labelling is disabling." To wit, it is okay to level constructive criticism such as Player X needs to build his tank and get to more contests, but it is demoralising and destructive to say that Player X is a spud. Although I do remember the great Tommy Hafey visiting our college as a motivational speaker, and was shocked when he referred to Zac Dawson as exactly that. I guess that's old style coaching for you.

Anyway, it's not always easy to filter the thoughts that boil deep inside the amygdala on a game day thread. When a player fluffs a disposal and gifts the opposition a goal, for example, what comes out is often not " Gee, that was a bit unfortunate, but he will learn from that mistake." What you get on this forum, under those circumstances, is pretty much what you might hear in the outer. Away from the heat of battle, though, we can clearly choose how to frame our criticisms. That neologism, 'keyboard warrior', is the mark of somebody who uses the cloak of anonymity to unleash verbal abuse that he/she would never dare to express in a face-to-face interaction. Personally, this is just a simple test that I apply. Would I say this to someone in person? If not, I won't write it. This is not to invalidate the essence of anybody else's criticisms of players, or even the idea that we are allowed to be critical. For me, it's a matter of language choice - which also, inescapably, rests upon the fact that I love my football club and want to remain supportive.

I can imagine that some messaging to players on social media is downright nasty and personal. I'm sure this is what Bevo is targeting - not supporters having opinions per se. This stuff is very unpleasant, and Bevo has every right to feel aggrieved by it.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Gardiner still playing, Young playing 2’s, Cavarra playing 2’s, Trenners and Sweet getting snubbed for English one out, our fwd line almost has no natural fwd playing in it with it being filled with ex defenders or resting mids.

You’re living in fantasy world Jezdog. Doesn’t look like Bev is doing anything that’s been requested by the vocal majority in here.

Turns out an AFL coach knows more about the game than what us supporters do. Who’d have thought hey?

There is a difference between criticism and abuse.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gardiner still playing, Young playing 2’s, Cavarra playing 2’s, Trenners and Sweet getting snubbed for English one out, our fwd line almost has no natural fwd playing in it with it being filled with ex defenders or resting mids.

You’re living in fantasy world Jezdog. Doesn’t look like Bev is doing anything that’s been requested by the vocal majority in here.

Turns out an AFL coach knows more about the game than what us supporters do. Who’d have thought hey?
I’ve had the impression all year that Bev’s real priority is the future and that making the eight this year was something he wanted, but not at the expense of the future.

He’s had five debutants, been hard on McLean, Cordy and Lipinski and persisted with English despite patchy form. He’s backed Gardner in despite terrible form and gave a final chance to Gowers and Roarke.

At times he might get things wrong but there’s a reason he does these things. On most of the above decisions he’s been vindicated thus far, and where he’s not got it right it isn’t the player’s fault.

Have never understood fans losing it over this year. It’s a weird season and we are trying things.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’ve had the impression all year that Bev’s real priority is the future and that making the eight this year was something he wanted, but not at the expense of the future.

He’s had five debutants, been hard on McLean, Cordy and Lipinski and persisted with English despite patchy form. He’s backed Gardner in despite terrible form and gave a final chance to Gowers and Roarke.

At times he might get things wrong but there’s a reason he does these things. On most of the above decisions he’s been vindicated thus far, and where he’s not got it right it isn’t the player’s fault.

Have never understood fans losing it over this year. It’s a weird season and we are trying things.

I agree.

The reality of our current list is that we don’t have a genuine set best 22 yet either so a lot of it is a suck it and see situation

I’m certain that there’s higher expectations on a number of players and so we aren’t seeing them play as much as others. I’m fine with that as it speaks for where the coaches see where our players are at.
Bailey Williams is a perfect example. Didn’t get a real run at it until he’d ticked all the boxes at lower level. Young could be another who’s not doing what’s required yet.

I’m confident we’ll start to see a more settled 22 next season with a more mature list, regular season and natural development in those around the mark.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There is an old axiom in education that "labelling is disabling." To wit, it is okay to level constructive criticism such as Player X needs to build his tank and get to more contests, but it is demoralising and destructive to say that Player X is a spud. Although I do remember the great Tommy Hafey visiting our college as a motivational speaker, and was shocked when he referred to Zac Dawson as exactly that. I guess that's old style coaching for you.

Anyway, it's not always easy to filter the thoughts that boil deep inside the amygdala on a game day thread. When a player fluffs a disposal and gifts the opposition a goal, for example, what comes out is often not " Gee, that was a bit unfortunate, but he will learn from that mistake." What you get on this forum, under those circumstances, is pretty much what you might hear in the outer. Away from the heat of battle, though, we can clearly choose how to frame our criticisms. That neologism, 'keyboard warrior', is the mark of somebody who uses the cloak of anonymity to unleash verbal abuse that he/she would never dare to express in a face-to-face interaction. Personally, this is just a simple test that I apply. Would I say this to someone in person? If not, I won't write it. This is not to invalidate the essence of anybody else's criticisms of players, or even the idea that we are allowed to be critical. For me, it's a matter of language choice - which also, inescapably, rests upon the fact that I love my football club and want to remain supportive.

I can imagine that some messaging to players on social media is downright nasty and personal. I'm sure this is what Bevo is targeting - not supporters having opinions per se. This stuff is very unpleasant, and Bevo has every right to feel aggrieved by it.

Nail on the head with a lot of this. A lot of the vile abuse on Big Footy is what leads to and isn’t far from the behaviour of those that have contacted and abused players personally online. Pretty disgraceful.

It’s also astounding that some are trying to downplay it all.

Abusing our own players is the lowest. They cop enough from the opposition fans, and it is generally a really bad look to us as a club.

It makes me wonder if that is the reason some players have chosen others over us. i know Liam Jones, Josh Hill and even Jarrad Grant have all said they have copped a lot of abuse.

We actually moved our seats because of a couple of so called supporters that sat around us, did nothing but abuse our own all through the game.

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Abusing our own players is the lowest. They cop enough from the opposition fans, and it is generally a really bad look to us as a club.

It makes me wonder if that is the reason some players have chosen others over us. i know Liam Jones, Josh Hill and even Jarrad Grant have all said they have copped a lot of abuse.

We actually moved our seats because of a couple of so called supporters that sat around us, did nothing but abuse our own all through the game.
It's nowhere near endemic to our supporters. Sit amongst some Collingwood or Essendon supporters at a neutral game they are horrible.
In saying that I've had some heated arguments at the ground with some of our supporters who wouldn't let up on bagging out our players. Gia was a particular lightning rod.

Back