Bevo out

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see much of the first half, I'm interested to know what tactical changes were made

First qtr we dominated possession but kicked long to contests where McGovern, Barrass and others took a stack of intercept marks.
After that in the second qtr we went shorter and lower into the fwd 50 and grubbed kicks in at ground level (basically anything to avoid kicking to their talls). It was really interesting to watch and I must say the commentators were really across what was happening.
Unfortunately we once again kicked innacurately so didn't reap the full benefits.

Kick straight and we win comfortably.

Tactical changes at qtr time were very good, and the ability to have the team implement them even better.

Seriously this thread is embarrassing.

What is embarrassing about it?

We have massively underperformed this season. Copped several hidings against the better teams, and struggled to beat half-strength Eagles last night off their 5 day break vs our 9 day break.

Our list is not young anymore, and won a flag just 4 years ago...

So maybe explain why it’s embarrassing to call Bevo’s role into question.

We have massively underperformed this season. Copped several hidings against the better teams, and struggled to beat half-strength Eagles last night off their 5 day break vs our 9 day break.

Because if you win it’s all gravy

Beating all the bottom teams and finishing mid table year after year with excuse after excuse is ok for some people 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

It's pretty simple. The current list is not that good and has several holes in it. You can't blame the coach for that.

You cannot be serious?

He has been at the club for six years.

Had a flag team and this is his list.

If it isn’t Bevs fault who’s is it?

I'm pretty sure we're talking about coaching ability, not list management. Its not the coaches fault that Tom Boyd quit, Dicko's past it, Boyd and Morris retired, and Stringer is a nob.

So is it the coach, the team, the recruiters, the board, or the organisation that is at fault?

Clarkson "the greatest coach of all time" was at the club for how many years MD before he won a flag? Not to mention he had a couple of compromised drafts to push things along.

I'm pretty sure we're talking about coaching ability, not list management. Its not the coaches fault that Tom Boyd quit, Dicko's past it, Boyd and Morris retired, and Stringer is a nob.

So is it the coach, the team, the recruiters, the board, or the organisation that is at fault?

Clarkson "the greatest coach of all time" was at the club for how many years MD before he won a flag? Not to mention he had a couple of compromised drafts to push things along.

Weren’t you raving about the list at the start of the year?

Why do people put asterisks around the Clarkson comment? It makes no sense to me why they do that. No one can argue his name should be mentioned in the greatest ever

You do realise players leave an retire every club every year and the good coaches are somehow able to sustain it through their coaching and list management. We have had two list managers walk because Bevo has too much input so YES the list is his fault and YES the coaching is most definitely his fault

Weren’t you raving about the list at the start of the year?

Why do people put asterisks around the Clarkson comment? It makes no sense to me why they do that. No one can argue his name should be mentioned in the greatest ever

You do realise players leave an retire every club every year and the good coaches are somehow able to sustain it through their coaching and list management. We have had two list managers walk because Bevo has too much input so YES the list is his fault and YES the coaching is most definitely his fault

If I did indeed rave about the list during the pre-season it was possibly due to the recruitment of Bruce and Keath. Pre-season hope brings out the suckers in all of us...

As far as I know the only club to have sustained anything close to what you are talking about is Geelong (and they haven't won a flag in 10 years).
Is Chris Scott a great coach? If not who is? Love to know who your mystical coaching lovechild is...

This year some players haven't come on as they should. Bruce should of been kicking at least 2 a game. Dale, Lloyd, Dickson, Lipinski, Schache, didn't continue in form from last season. Little Improvement from West, Richards, Lewis Young, Lachie Young. Dogs had JJ drop in form, Macrae early out of form, Injuries that kept from fielding all best 22 most weeks with a rotating list of injuries.

However there has been some good with the emergence of Vandameer, Jong showing improvement before injury, Gardner slowing working his way to a serviceable defender. Cavarra, Porter, Weightmans debuts. Williams return to form. Smith's improvement. Wallis emergence as a smart forward.

Last edited:
It's pretty simple. The current list is not that good and has several holes in it. You can't blame the coach for that.
Rubbish post.
We've landed an ace with just about every first pick we've had in the last 10 years. Dalrymple alone has assembled a fantastic core of A-grade talent from the draft, and the list in its current state is absolutely good enough to compete; that much is evident just from watching us play on our good days.

What do you expect? A whole best 22 consisting of A-graders? Does that excuse Beveridge for idiotically pissing away Dunkley's talents in the ruck? Or all the other stupid coaching tactics he runs?

Is this thread going to be bumped every time by the pro-Beveridge squad every time he picks up a win, no matter how underwhelming? Results like this just fit into the narrative I outlined earlier; we are an eternal enigma under this stupid, frustrating coach. One week we might be beating West Coast (with their best players out), another week we'll be pissing away a 36 point quarter time lead. One week we might be smashing Richmond in 2019, another week week we'll be getting smashed by Carlton... under BRENDAN BOLTON, the only win he picked up last year before being sacked.

If Goodwin gets sacked I would like us to interview him for an assistant coaching role
Well, he'd liven things up. Fined $40,000 for extensive betting on AFL matches, elbow deep in the Bombers Dank era ("you bringing in the good stuff?').

Colourful character. Maybe a package deal with Bomber and we could get Jakey back too.

If I did indeed rave about the list during the pre-season it was possibly due to the recruitment of Bruce and Keath. Pre-season hope brings out the suckers in all of us...

As far as I know the only club to have sustained anything close to what you are talking about is Geelong (and they haven't won a flag in 10 years).
Is Chris Scott a great coach? If not who is? Love to know who your mystical coaching lovechild is...
You want to know what kind of coach Chris Scott is? The type who can at the very least, get 80-100% out of his squad every year.

You pot our list for not being good enough, have you looked at Geelong's lately? On what planet is this a Premiership-winning squad?

Most of their best players are aged 30 or older, and there's only a handful most people would label genuine A-graders. Against us, they didn't even have Selwood playing. Outside of the A-grade bracket, you can't possibly tell me crabs like Rhys Stanley, Jed Bews, Tom Atkins, Luke Dahlhaus etc are better than our own bracket of B-C graders.

So taking that into account, why have Geelong been a top 4 team for all but one of the last five years, while we've been a constant enigma since hiring Beveridge? The answer is simple: Chris Scott doesn't do stupid crap like playing Dunkley in the ruck. Scott has a gameplan optimized for his squad, which is good enough to secure a top 4 spot every year. It might not be good enough to beat Richmond, but part of the reason is because Richmond objectively have a better squad. Geelong supporters might not always like it, but I would bet they'd like it a whole lot less if they ever saw Joel Selwood rucking, and Rhys Stanley roving in the stoppages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've landed an ace with just about every first pick we've had in the last 10 years.

Cody Weightman: Bit early to "Card Up" yet.
Louis Butler: Bit early to "Card Up" yet.
Riley Garcia: Bit early to "Card Up" yet.

Bailey Smith: Obvious choice at the pick, looking outstanding.
Rhylee West: Father/Son it was his destiny.
Laitham Vandermeer: Left field pick, injury riddled, promising signs.
Ben Cavarra: Mature aged, tough gig being a forward at the moment.
Will Hayes: Mature aged reward of VFL dominance.

Aaron Naughton: Natural defender, looking outstanding.
Ed Richards: No volume as yet nor hint of best position.
Callum Porter: Not lacking for his type of player.

Timothy English: Oh the potential, the untapped potential.
Patrick Lipinski: Nice type, but not outstanding at anything.
Lewis Young: Young bull thrashing at the gates, keen for the rodeo.
Fergus Greene: Needs an add campaign, FreeFergus, It's not easy being Greene. etc

Josh Dunkley: From the "Bubble of excellence" to ruck fodder.
Kieran Collins: Gone, snake eyes.
Marcus Adams: Gone, snake eyes.
Bailey Williams: My boy finding his feet, making every post a winner.

Toby McLean: I will have the duck, versatile role player.
Lukas Webb: Gone, snake eyes.
Declan Hamilton: Gone, snake eyes, (Jarman related)
Bailey Dale: Much maligned late to pubic hair.
Caleb Daniel: Hero to middle earth and persistence.
Zaine Cordy: Father/Son it was his destiny.

Marcus Bontempelli: Get him in the cloning machine, marquee superstar.
Matthew Fuller: Gone, snake eyes.
Mitch Honey-Church: Gone, snake eyes. (Wasted hyphen)
Brett Goodes: Mature aged reward for VFL dominance. Gone, snake eyes.

Jake Stringer: Gone, snake eyes.
Jackson Macrae: Rack em up, accumulation gold.
Nathan Hrovat: Gone, snake eyes.
Lachie Hunter: Father/Son it was his destiny.
Joshua Prudden: Gone, snake eyes.
Tom Campbell: Gone, snake eyes.
Jason Johannisen: Norm Smith winning, fashion icon with the skunk hair style.

Clay Smith: Gone, snake eyes.
Michael Talia: Gone, snake eyes.
Daniel Pearce: Gone, snake eyes.
Tory Dickson: Best of the Bendigo Bombers, from the year we ran out of ideas.
Luke Dahlhaus: Gone, snake eyes.
Matthew Panos: Gone, snake eyes.

Mitch Wallis: Father/Son it was his destiny.
Tom Liberatore: Father/Son it was his destiny.
Jayden Schofield: Gone, snake eyes.
Zephaniah Skinner: Gone, snake eyes.
Tom Hill: Gone, snake eyes.
Brodie Moles: Gone, snake eyes.
Andrew Hooper: Gone, snake eyes.

Well there it is a ten year journey through the National Draft looking for aces, but like the proverbial deck of cards there only
seems to be a few present, apologies for using the term "Snake Eyes" which is more related to dice than actual playing cards.
I don't know what this has to do with Bevo and him being out, but what the hell i am bored senseless stuck in this twilight
zone called isolation. Always it pays to remember there is always someone worse off than you.

Cody Weightman: Bit early to "Card Up" yet.
Louis Butler: Bit early to "Card Up" yet.
Riley Garcia: Bit early to "Card Up" yet.

Bailey Smith: Obvious choice at the pick, looking outstanding.
Rhylee West: Father/Son it was his destiny.
Laitham Vandermeer: Left field pick, injury riddled, promising signs.
Ben Cavarra: Mature aged, tough gig being a forward at the moment.
Will Hayes: Mature aged reward of VFL dominance.

Aaron Naughton: Natural defender, looking outstanding.
Ed Richards: No volume as yet nor hint of best position.
Callum Porter: Not lacking for his type of player.

Timothy English: Oh the potential, the untapped potential.
Patrick Lipinski: Nice type, but not outstanding at anything.
Lewis Young: Young bull thrashing at the gates, keen for the rodeo.
Fergus Greene: Needs an add campaign, FreeFergus, It's not easy being Greene. etc

Josh Dunkley: From the "Bubble of excellence" to ruck fodder.
Kieran Collins: Gone, snake eyes.
Marcus Adams: Gone, snake eyes.
Bailey Williams: My boy finding his feet, making every post a winner.

Toby McLean: I will have the duck, versatile role player.
Lukas Webb: Gone, snake eyes.
Declan Hamilton: Gone, snake eyes, (Jarman related)
Bailey Dale: Much maligned late to pubic hair.
Caleb Daniel: Hero to middle earth and persistence.
Zaine Cordy: Father/Son it was his destiny.

Marcus Bontempelli: Get him in the cloning machine, marquee superstar.
Matthew Fuller: Gone, snake eyes.
Mitch Honey-Church: Gone, snake eyes. (Wasted hyphen)
Brett Goodes: Mature aged reward for VFL dominance. Gone, snake eyes.

Jake Stringer: Gone, snake eyes.
Jackson Macrae: Rack em up, accumulation gold.
Nathan Hrovat: Gone, snake eyes.
Lachie Hunter: Father/Son it was his destiny.
Joshua Prudden: Gone, snake eyes.
Tom Campbell: Gone, snake eyes.
Jason Johannisen: Norm Smith winning, fashion icon with the skunk hair style.

Clay Smith: Gone, snake eyes.
Michael Talia: Gone, snake eyes.
Daniel Pearce: Gone, snake eyes.
Tory Dickson: Best of the Bendigo Bombers, from the year we ran out of ideas.
Luke Dahlhaus: Gone, snake eyes.
Matthew Panos: Gone, snake eyes.

Mitch Wallis: Father/Son it was his destiny.
Tom Liberatore: Father/Son it was his destiny.
Jayden Schofield: Gone, snake eyes.
Zephaniah Skinner: Gone, snake eyes.
Tom Hill: Gone, snake eyes.
Brodie Moles: Gone, snake eyes.
Andrew Hooper: Gone, snake eyes.

Well there it is a ten year journey through the National Draft looking for aces, but like the proverbial deck of cards there only
seems to be a few present, apologies for using the term "Snake Eyes" which is more related to dice than actual playing cards.
I don't know what this has to do with Bevo and him being out, but what the hell i am bored senseless stuck in this twilight
zone called isolation. Always it pays to remember there is always someone worse off than you.

13 premiership players (from the 2016 side), not bad.

And at least 15 from the 2020-21 premiership sides, and captain of the 2027-28 flag sides Bailey Smith, plus Norm Smiths for Bont, McLean, Naughton and Vandermeer in 20,21,27 and 28 respectively.

And at least 15 from the 2020-21 premiership sides, and captain of the 2027-28 flag sides Bailey Smith, plus Norm Smiths for Bont, McLean, Naughton and Vandermeer in 20,21,27 and 28 respectively.
I know you are an Oracle and can glimpse the future, but don't get ahead of yourself. ;)

Rubbish post.
We've landed an ace with just about every first pick we've had in the last 10 years. Dalrymple alone has assembled a fantastic core of A-grade talent from the draft, and the list in its current state is absolutely good enough to compete; that much is evident just from watching us play on our good days.

What do you expect? A whole best 22 consisting of A-graders? Does that excuse Beveridge for idiotically pissing away Dunkley's talents in the ruck? Or all the other stupid coaching tactics he runs?

Is this thread going to be bumped every time by the pro-Beveridge squad every time he picks up a win, no matter how underwhelming? Results like this just fit into the narrative I outlined earlier; we are an eternal enigma under this stupid, frustrating coach. One week we might be beating West Coast (with their best players out), another week we'll be pissing away a 36 point quarter time lead. One week we might be smashing Richmond in 2019, another week week we'll be getting smashed by Carlton... under BRENDAN BOLTON, the only win he picked up last year before being sacked.

Rubbish post??? You're pretty good at shooting your mouth of for someone that has been on here for less than two weeks lol....

There are holes and a tonne of lost experience in our squad.

I see in your other post you mention Geelong as not having a premiership side? Compare their backline to ours. They have two all-Australians down there in Harry Taylor and Tom Stewart. They have a brownlow medalist in the middle who is clearly top 3 in the entire comp, one of the best captains of all time (when he's playing), and a coleman winner at full forward. On what planet does that compare to our current side? When we played them they had the 10 most experienced players on the field in terms of games played....

Our premiership squad of 2016 was a really well balanced and seasoned team with a bit of youth mixed in:

Morris, Picken & Boyd - 250+ game (or close to) stalwarts and champions of the club
Tom Boyd - ruck forward which we currently don't have
Roughead - a seasoned ruck having a career best year
Stringer - a 50 goal season player
Dickson (at his peak)
Hamling at full back

Compared to now:

Our experienced guys are around the 150 game mark.
We don't have a ruck-forward
Our only seasoned ruck (Trengove) is not getting a game
We currently don't have a forward capable of kicking over 30 goals
We've replaced Dickson with Lloyd
We don't have a true full back capable of going with the big forwards on the lead

Does Bevo do everything right? Absolutely not.
Does he do some head-scratching things - yes.
Do I want him as our coach - certainly.

Are you an alt for Optimistic Dog?

Some of our losses have been disappointing in their magnitude (particularly Carlton, St Kilda and Collingwood) but we’ve actually been quite consistent in terms of results: we’ve only lost to one team currently out of the eight and have beaten two teams in the eight.

Basically we are the 7-9th best team and we’ve beaten and lost to the teams we should have.

At the start of the year, I would have said at best we were 5-6th, so it’s not unexpected. With a bit more luck and composure we would have knocked off Geelong and/or Port too.

We obviously need to be going somewhere, so Richards, Lipinski, West, Weightman, Vandermeer, English and Naughton need to keep improving. Some have stalled, which annoys me, but the trajectory is ok.

My biggest issue is the way we lose sometimes, but honestly aside from Richmond we have not been disgraced for a while now. Some things haven’t worked and it’s probably hard to correct them mid season, but there’s not reason to be pessimistic.

Rubbish post??? You're pretty good at shooting your mouth of for someone that has been on here for less than two weeks lol....

I see in your other post you mention Geelong as not having a premiership side? Compare their backline to ours. They have two all-Australians down there in Harry Taylor and Tom Stewart. They have a brownlow medalist in the middle who is clearly top 3 in the entire comp, one of the best captains of all time (when he's playing), and a coleman winner at full forward. On what planet does that compare to our current side? When we played them they had the 10 most experienced players on the field in terms of games played....

Our premiership squad of 2016 was a really well balanced and seasoned team with a bit of youth mixed in:

Morris, Picken & Boyd - 250+ game (or close to) stalwarts and champions of the club
Dickson (at his peak)
Hamling at full back

Compared to now:

We don't have a true full back capable of going with the big forwards on the lead

Small point - we don’t have a forward who will kick 30 in this reduced format, but Wallis has been hovering at 10-15th overall. Very few players will finish over 30 in this format. Naughton kicked over 30 in a proper season last year when he was fit.

We need more goal kicking power for sure. Those two are a start.

Bruce and Dale could do it if they recapture form next year. Other than that we are banking on Weightman and JUH because Lloyd and Dicko are clearly cooked. It is an issue, but probably fixable.

Are you an alt for Optimistic Dog?

:( No offence to OD, but his is one of the more confusing monikers on here, given his level of pessimism. I am pessimistic at times, but mostly a glass half full proponent. What I am, is spectacularly unsuccessful at predicting the future. I think perhaps I should change my moniker to something more appropriate. I was thinking Glaeken Bacon, or perhaps Glaeken Fakin', maybe even Glaeken Jamaican? Optimistic Glaeken is appealing, but sounds like an OD tribute band.

Thankfully there are no post requirements to make such claims. If you're going to suggest this is an embarrassing thread, don't get so upset when someone says you've made a rubbish post.

Lost experience? What lost experience?
Who were the experienced players we lost last year? Morris on his last legs? After barely getting on the park last year?

I see in your other post you mention Geelong as not having a premiership side? Compare their backline to ours. They have two all-Australians down there in Harry Taylor and Tom Stewart.
Whoa, 2 all-australians in defence?! Including a 34 year old Harry Taylor who last finished All-Australian 7 years ago? I'm in awe.
They have a brownlow medalist in the middle who is clearly top 3 in the entire comp, one of the best captains of all time (when he's playing), and a coleman winner at full forward. On what planet does that compare to our current side? When we played them they had the 10 most experienced players on the field in terms of games played....
What's your point? I said they had a handful of A-graders, and you're just cherry-picking them for some reason. You realize doing this would be just as easy for our squad?

We have Bontempelli who won the coaches vote last year, and clearly a star, we have Macrae who's one of the best link-up midfielders in the AFL, we have Caleb Daniel who is one of the most damaging kicks in the AFL, we have Naughton who lead the AFL in contested marks as a 19 year old last year. On what planet does that compare to a squad of old farts like Geelong? They'd give anything to have a young superstar as exciting as Naughton.

Dickson (at his peak)
Hamling at full back

Compared to now:

2016? That was 4 years ago, and back then we had one of the best young teams in the AFL. Why have we gone so far backwards?

Spare me bs like 'our recruiting has been poor'. We've picked up guys like Naughton and Smith in the draft who are bonafied guns, and guys like Crozier, Duryea, Lloyd, and Keath through trades, who have been more than adequate replacements for a lot of the 2016 players who left.

Who's to blame for Trengove not getting a game? Here's a tip: it's the same idiot who insisted on playing Ayce Cordy over All-Australian Ruckman Will Minson for several weeks. The same idiot who thought it was a good idea to play Dunkley as a #1 ruckman.

We showed numerous times last year that our best football is fantastic; just the midfield trio alone of Bontempelli, Dunkley, Macrae firing in all cylinders in the second half of the year was enough to keep us competitive most weeks, a bit like how West Coast's Judd Kerr Cousins midfield in 2005-2006 carried an otherwise mediocre team. On top of that, we have a pretty good defence, and couldn't really ask for better rebounding defenders.
At the very least, it shouldn't be too much to ask for some consistency, for a season we don't get arbitrarily thrashed or choke significant leads, but under Beveridge, this has, and will continue to be an occurrence.

Thankfully there are no post requirements to make such claims. If you're going to suggest this is an embarrassing thread, don't get so upset when someone says you've made a rubbish post.

Lost experience? What lost experience?
Who were the experienced players we lost last year? Morris on his last legs? After barely getting on the park last year?

Whoa, 2 all-australians in defence?! Including a 34 year old Harry Taylor who last finished All-Australian 7 years ago? I'm in awe.

What's your point? I said they had a handful of A-graders, and you're just cherry-picking them for some reason. You realize doing this would be just as easy for our squad?

We have Bontempelli who won the coaches vote last year, and clearly a star, we have Macrae who's one of the best link-up midfielders in the AFL, we have Caleb Daniel who is one of the most damaging kicks in the AFL, we have Naughton who lead the AFL in contested marks as a 19 year old last year. On what planet does that compare to a squad of old farts like Geelong? They'd give anything to have a young superstar as exciting as Naughton.

2016? That was 4 years ago, and back then we had one of the best young teams in the AFL. Why have we gone so far backwards?

Spare me bs like 'our recruiting has been poor'. We've picked up guys like Naughton and Smith in the draft who are bonafied guns, and guys like Crozier, Duryea, Lloyd, and Keath through trades, who have been more than adequate replacements for a lot of the 2016 players who left.

Who's to blame for Trengove not getting a game? Here's a tip: it's the same idiot who insisted on playing Ayce Cordy over All-Australian Ruckman Will Minson for several weeks. The same idiot who thought it was a good idea to play Dunkley as a #1 ruckman.

We showed numerous times last year that our best football is fantastic; just the midfield trio alone of Bontempelli, Dunkley, Macrae firing in all cylinders in the second half of the year was enough to keep us competitive most weeks, a bit like how West Coast's Judd Kerr Cousins midfield in 2005-2006 carried an otherwise mediocre team. On top of that, we have a pretty good defence, and couldn't really ask for better rebounding defenders.
At the very least, it shouldn't be too much to ask for some consistency, for a season we don't get arbitrarily thrashed or choke significant leads, but under Beveridge, this has, and will continue to be an occurrence.

I get where you are coming from but I never said our recruiting was poor. On the contrary its been very good, but that doesn't mean that the team/squad is ready for a top 4 spot...

:( No offence to OD, but his is one of the more confusing monikers on here, given his level of pessimism. I am pessimistic at times, but mostly a glass half full proponent. What I am, is spectacularly unsuccessful at predicting the future. I think perhaps I should change my moniker to something more appropriate. I was thinking Glaeken Bacon, or perhaps Glaeken Fakin', maybe even Glaeken Jamaican? Optimistic Glaeken is appealing, but sounds like an OD tribute band.
I would have thought GlaekenCity was in the go-zone, perhaps a cooking show Baking with Glaeken. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back