Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That’s what i want.

Firstly, gameplan. We have an incredible list of talent (which is primarily thanks to Dalrymple, not Bevo), which is being squandered by a coach who has been unable to evolve our game plan or style since everyone broke us down post-2016.

As we’re seeing this year, not only have other teams worked a way to counter the gameplan... but it also doesn’t work well unless we’re in perfect conditions. Without our bubble-like fortress at Marvel, we encountered dewy, slippery conditions and we falter.

That we’re even 5-6 shows the talent on the list is so strong it can win, even wit a busted gameplan.

Secondly, nepotism? The bewildering priority in borderline selection calls favouring Gowers and Gardiner. Stinks.

Thirdly, support. I’ve got 37 years, never have i felt so disenfranchised with the team (and thus footy overall) as i do now. Most of us on here are the ardent, and sadly i’ve read many opinions that echo mine.

The results? Since 2015 season:
6th
7th (premiers)
10th
13th
7th
?

Yes Bevo will be a Bulldog immortal for those 4 weeks in September 2016, but can’t forever cling to the past.

The future can be even more rich with the right guiding hand. I don’t think we’ve got the right one.

#Bevoout

Luke is not going anywhere.

I am as frustrated as anyone with regards to bewildering selection choices and questionable game style when things get tough.

When we are on, we look terrific, but the difference between our best and worst is our major concern.

I would like to see a review of the coaching staff at years end and bring some fresh energy and ideas with new assistants around Luke that will challenge him, not the yes men he has atm.

Bevo must create an environment where he is challenged, pushed and prodded. The club must change those around him, and his influence in the football department.

Spot on. And if he doesn’t want that move him then.
Not many clubs have had the same assistant coaches for as long as we have with no changes other than moving the deck chairs.

We should have gone after a J.Roughead to assist our forwards like Scache Naughton Bruce etc.

The Richmond mob wanted Hardwick's head not that long ago. Ditto Collingwood.

There obviously needs to be a comprehensive review of our football operations along the lines of the above two clubs.

Hardwick and Buckley both tried to do too much on their own and I fear Bevo is falling into the same trap. He's not an idiot, and with sufficient support and a bit of hard love within the club I think positive outcomes could happen.

Last edited:
Luke is not going anywhere.

I am as frustrated as anyone with regards to bewildering selection choices and questionable game style when things get tough.

When we are on, we look terrific, but the difference between our best and worst is our major concern.

I would like to see a review of the coaching staff at years end and bring some fresh energy and ideas with new assistants around Luke that will challenge him, not the yes men he has atm.

There obviously needs to be a comprehensive review of our football operations along the lines of the above two clubs.

Hardwick and Buckley both tried to do too much on their own and I fear Bevo is falling into the same trap. He's not an idiot, and with sufficient support and a bit of hard love within the club I think positive outcomes come happen.
And if that doesn't happen then one or more people further up the line need to go.

Like anything that's broken, fix it or replace it.

Sadly I don't think anyone at the club has the guts to do any of this. Please prove me wrong Peter, Ameet, Chris ...

Thought I was opening a thread involving a closet, and rainbows. I feel disappoint much. 😉

Seriously though - I know I’ve posted (sarcastic) shizen re this topic in other threads, but he stays for mine - with a robust football dept review. If LB is not amenable to this strategy, then a hard discussion is in the offing. But are any of Grant/Bains/Gordon up for that discussion?

Hardwick and Buckley both tried to do too much on their own and I fear Bevo is falling into the same trap. He's not an idiot, and with sufficient support and a bit of hard love within the club I think positive outcomes come happen.
Add Bomber Thompson to that list the year before they won the GF by a record margin he was gone before the “review“.

Neil Balme came in there as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this talk is utter madness.

Combining our historical strike rate with recruiting premiership coaches with the industry strike rate, the chances of getting a better coach are about 5%. To offload a contracted, proven premiership coach on a maybe is lunacy.

The list is not in a premiership profile - just get that through your heads. We have effectively conducted a full rebuild in the space of barely 24 months (started March 2018), pumped hundreds of games into kids whose performances are massively up and down (for the longer term good), and have not only remained competitive, but actually made finals in 2019 and still in the hunt in 2020, with four of our losses coming to the top 5 teams in the comp (in the craziest season/circumstances of the last 70 years).

Look at other clubs that have gone through similar age profiles for their rebuilds across the last 10 years - Carlton, St Kilda, Melbourne, Gold Coast - look at the horrendous losses, the multiple bottom 4 finishes, the length of time - combined, they've made, what, 2, maybe 3 finals out of a potential 30 seasons? Having a few elite young stars and a handful of other kids with heaps of potential does not automatically equal a competitive list, and I for one am thankful that we've gone through the worst of a rebuild with such little pain.

Some of our best players are 19, 20, 21, 22. We have at least another half a dozen future 150+ gamers who are 23 and under. Many of our key leaders are 23-24-25. Our best is yet to come, our entry to an equivalent list peak to Brisbane 2000-2005, Geelong 2007-2012 and Hawthorn 2010-2015 is coming from 2021-2022 onwards.

There's issues - major issues - that need addressing. Match committee decisions, assistant coaches, leadership structures - none are beyond repair. None are worth tearing up a contract with one of the top 4 coaches in the game over, especially the one who delivered a miracle that no other coach in the game could have in 2016.

Nothing personal, but I've bookmarked this and can't wait for Beveridge to make many of these posts look absolutely nuts in a few years time.

Last edited:
I think this talk is utter madness.

Combining our historical strike rate with recruiting premiership coaches with the industry strike rate, the chances of getting a better coach are about 5%. To offload a contracted, proven premiership coach on a 1 in 20 maybe is lunacy.

The list is not in a premiership profile - just get that through your heads. We have effectively conducted a full rebuild in the space of 24 months (started March 2018), pumped hundreds of games into kids that are massively up and down for the longer term good, and have not only remained competitive, but actually made finals in 2019 and still in the hunt in 2020, with four of our losses coming to the top 5 teams in the comp (in the craziest season/circumstances of the last 70 years).

Look at other clubs that have gone through similar age profiles for their rebuilds across the last 10 years - Carlton, St Kilda, Melbourne, Gold Coast - look at the horrendous losses, the multiple bottom 4 finishes, the length of time - combined, they've made, what, 2, maybe 3 finals out of a potential 30 seasons? Having a few elite young stars as we've had (and they'be had) does not automatically equal a competitive list, and I for one am thankful that we've gone through the worst of a rebuild with such little pain.

Some of our best players are 19, 20, 21, 22. We have at least another half a dozen 150+ gamers who are 23 and under. Our key leaders are 23-24-25. Our best is yet to come, our equivalent list peak to Brisbane 2000-2005, Geelong 2007-2012 and Hawthorn 2010-2015 is coming from 2021-2022 onwards.

There's issues - major issues that need addressing- match committee decisions, assistant coaches, leadership structures - none are beyond repair. None are worth tearing up a contract with one of the top 4 coaches in the game over.

Nothing personal, but I've bookmarked this and can't wait for Beveridge to make this talk look absolutely idiotic in a few years time.
Very well summed up.

Is it just me in thinking this season still has a bit to play out?

We are in ninth place not 16th !!!!!

I would say there is one team left to play that we have no chance against and that is West Coast.

Not saying we will win 5 of the 6 but who knows with Dunkley and Naughton getting games under their belt and Hunter back hopefully ???

There's issues - major issues that need addressing- match committee decisions, assistant coaches, leadership structures - none are beyond repair. None are worth tearing up a contract with one of the top 4 coaches in the game over.

Good post and this is what the issue(s) are for me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back