Bevo out

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question here as an outsider.

Do you think sometimes of late he tries too hard to be a "mastermind" coach and go with the unconventional rather than the conventional wisdom?

Seems a bit stubborn - ie the management of JUH, although he might have been right all along, we'll never know.

Having said that, i dont doubt that the players play for him, the central group anyway

I just think ever since he won the flag he almost tries too hard to jag one by doing quirky things, but i might be wrong

I think he's a genius, and knows he's a genius, but by knowing it he gets in his own way. Why would he choose a conventional side and leave it in the hands of the players when he can think of a way to get some small advantage? But then it leaves us open to some other weakness.

* the ruck because hitouts don't correlate with wins, but then end up undersized. So then go all out in a run and gun gamestyle that turns that weakness into a strength. So then our opposition slow the game down. So then have our players flood defence to stop easy entries. So then have nobody forward for the eventual turnover. So then have our players run in waves to move the ball forward after turnover. So then our players tire out running up and down the field all game. So then prioritise fittness over skills. So then yada yada yada.

And it goes on and on until most games end in two ways. Either we pull all of our ideas off and look brilliant. Or the opposition can make the most of the half dozen weaknesses we give them and shut us out.

I rarely post on here these days but i found it appropriate (even after a few sherbets).
The man simply cannot coach any more. How a midfield with so much talent can be belted so badly over the last 3 weeks is inexcusable for our standards is simply alarming. To not bring in a ruckman when we are crying out for one when the opposition has tall pillars at both ends of the ground is concerning and doesn't make sense. I understand in having faith in your players but when we are being destroyed in centre clearances without no blistering pace out out of the middle what chance do we have? It shows our major deficiency this year. If we dont get first use we are useless as we cannot provide pressure. If you think Cordy and Keith are premier defenders you are simply delirious. We have also found ourselves being killed in intercept marking which Wood isnt capable of, which makes me wonder why Crozier isnt in?
The forward line is a mess in that we compress so badly on ourself it makes the defenders a field day in coming in over the top, so why continue with just the one tall? They just double team on Naughty or kick it to him when he is in the most vulnerable position against Aliir.
We simply will not win next week so I won't even bother in looking at this thread next week. We need a new coach.

I rarely post on here these days but i found it appropriate (even after a few sherbets).
The man simply cannot coach any more. How a midfield with so much talent can be belted so badly over the last 3 weeks is inexcusable for our standards is simply alarming. To not bring in a ruckman when we are crying out for one when the opposition has tall pillars at both ends of the ground is concerning and doesn't make sense. I understand in having faith in your players but when we are being destroyed in centre clearances without no blistering pace out out of the middle what chance do we have? It shows our major deficiency this year. If we dont get first use we are useless as we cannot provide pressure. If you think Cordy and Keith are premier defenders you are simply delirious. We have also found ourselves being killed in intercept marking which Wood isnt capable of, which makes me wonder why Crozier isnt in?
The forward line is a mess in that we compress so badly on ourself it makes the defenders a field day in coming in over the top, so why continue with just the one tall? They just double team on Naughty or kick it to him when he is in the most vulnerable position against Aliir.
We simply will not win next week so I won't even bother in looking at this thread next week. We need a new coach.

Keath (not Keith) is one of the best defenders in the league mate. Agree with a lot of your points but potting him is rough.

There is a step between here and Bevo’s dismissal.

Get the guy an assistant who actually has an input and make him accountable.

Things do need to change but I think last night the real worry was the players’ inability to execute basic skills. When you’ve got people as reliable as Jack Macrae making basic skill errors I’m not sure that’s on the coach.

Last edited:
Keath (not Keith) is one of the best defenders in the league mate. Agree with a lot of your points but potting him is rough.

Just wanted to give a shout-out to Juddernaut08 for his disagreement vote.

Must be a pretty sad morning, on the last day of yet another abysmal season as a Blues supporter, where you have to wander over to oppo threads for some sort of vicarious touch of a team making finals, again.

Things do need to change but I think last night the real worry was the players’ inability to execute basic skills. When you’ve got people as reliable as Jack Macrae making basic skill errors I’m not sure that’s on the coach.
Won’t work. Not in his nature and the brass remain in his thrall.
Sack him today

Team selection is made to be like our goal kicking - so much harder than it should be. Painfully hard.

The coach has had plenty of chances. 2016 was brilliant, but we've failed dismally ever since.

If Clarkson is in the least bit interested, I'd be all in. We might actually play a recognised ruckman, we might even play two. Crazy, isn't it?

I feel bad because in many ways I love Bevo but it just feels like something needs to change. Must be hard for players who genuinely love the man for who he is, to then confront the realisation that maybe he’s not the guy to take them forward. I mean how torn would Bont feel? You can’t tell me Bont loves rocking up every week trying to shark the opposition taps all game or seeing Zaine give up an easy mark and goal.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah this is where I’m at. I’m not yet convinced that Bevo absolutely must go, but there needs to be a serious shake up at least. Bring in some new voices and new ideas. We’ve been banging our heads against the same brick wall for 5 years now

Mate, Keath is far too slow to be a modern defender. Cordy is even worse than him and we play Young as a makeshift ruckman who seemingly cannot make it as a backman when he has immense ability but is never tried in his natural position.
Our backline is a complete mess and don't even get me started on Wood. Fantastic clubman and person but how he can get a game in front of Crozier has me baffled. He was worst on ground last night. While our midfield is fantastic (but under utilised), we simply leak far too many goals and our forward line seemingly cannot function without a player who takes the second defender.

It's ALL Beveridge.

In my opinion, we can beat anyone anywhere with our current list. This includes winning the next 4 weeks if we simply pick a team to our optimal structure - which is to ******* GO TALL!

That is how we beat Melbourne in round 20, and also why we won the first 6 rounds.

The magical structure is pretty obvious - must select:

- 2 pure KPFs
- 3rd KPF who also rucks
- 1 pure ruck

I know it, you know it, we all ******* know it.

Bev won’t do it - and it’s going to cost us the shot at our third flag.

I am not quite in the 100% sack Bevo group yet, but there are some very worrying signs that Luke has lost the plot.

His press conferences are just a conduit for deflection - rather than addressing the issues with the team he is more worried about sticking it to city hall - the boxing ban is just the latest diversion. But it is always something.

Luke you are paid an obscene amount of money to coach a football team to a premiership, not fight the AFL or the media at every opportunity.

Pull your head in, fix the disaster that is our ruck situation (Bont & Naughty in the ruck? really?), and stop playing prima donnas who refuse to follow team rules or give 100%, 100% of the time.

And to Chris Grant and Ameet Bains, get some assistant coaches who will challenge Luke and his beliefs, not be yes men to his every whim.

Rant over, bring on the finals.

I agree broadly with what you say. I don't advocate dismissing Beveridge but he needs to be held to account for our performance and there need to be checks and balances put in place to limit the self-indulgence that's been manifest for quite a while now.
Mutt Don't disagree with any of the discussion here but does there need to be 2 threads on the same topic. The other has a more respectful heading for a premiership coach

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Serious question here as an outsider.

Do you think sometimes of late he tries too hard to be a "mastermind" coach and go with the unconventional rather than the conventional wisdom?

Seems a bit stubborn - ie the management of JUH, although he might have been right all along, we'll never know.

Having said that, i dont doubt that the players play for him, the central group anyway

I just think ever since he won the flag he almost tries too hard to jag one by doing quirky things, but i might be wrong

Been an ongoing theme

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my opinion, we can beat anyone anywhere with our current list. This includes winning the next 4 weeks if we simply pick a team to our optimal structure - which is to ******* GO TALL!

That is how we beat Melbourne in round 20, and also why we won the first 6 rounds.

The magical structure is pretty obvious - must select:

- 2 pure KPFs
- 3rd KPF who also rucks
- 1 pure ruck

I know it, you know it, we all ******* know it.

Bev won’t do it - and it’s going to cost us the shot at our third flag.

This and play a 2nd genuine KPD (that doesn't include Cordy Or Wood).

When was the last time we added an assistant from outside the club?

When was the last time we added an assistant from outside the club?

When Brendan McCartney came in. Bevo said he kept the same people for stability. Roles have been moved around and promoted from within since.

Only two options for the club.

1. Bevo is approached and told the club needs a senior assistant who takes on a number of his responsibilities and he removes himself from micromanaging everyhting. Assistants need to have real input into game plan and match selection and not be fearful of their position if they disagree with Bevo.

2. Bevo refuses help, if this happens he should be stepped down.

i still think it Can work and we win a flag with him but he needs to back off, not try and be so clever, accept he has major flaws and is not always right. If this occurred he would be fine.

Mate, Keath is far too slow to be a modern defender. Cordy is even worse than him and we play Young as a makeshift ruckman who seemingly cannot make it as a backman when he has immense ability but is never tried in his natural position.
Our backline is a complete mess and don't even get me started on Wood. Fantastic clubman and person but how he can get a game in front of Crozier has me baffled. He was worst on ground last night. While our midfield is fantastic (but under utilised), we simply leak far too many goals and our forward line seemingly cannot function without a player who takes the second defender.

It's ALL Beveridge.
We a a great defender in the team but we playing him in the forward line

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back