Roast Bevo pull your ******* head in

Remove this Banner Ad

Reality check: he has about 500 more days left. We are not going to pay him out.
He has plenty of time to pull off a Hinkley special.
We could go out and poach someone who actually can implement a game plan for this decade appoint them as a Senior Assistant and tell Bevo to take a back seat for next year. Then the Assistant takes over in 2024 in a smooth transition. Maybe Bevo will then decide not to see out his contract.

We could go out and poach someone who actually can implement a game plan for this decade appoint them as a Senior Assistant and tell Bevo to take a back seat for next year. Then the Assistant takes over in 2024 in a smooth transition. Maybe Bevo will then decide not to see out his contract.

I can think of a good assistant coach next year. He lives in Sydney coaches a AFL side now but won’t be coaching a AFL team next year and he use to play for the bulldogs :)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Succession plans do not work, they just lead to needless drama.
Goodwin didn't work, Melbourne's tanking did.

Just get the clown coach out as soon as possible, which will be the end of 2023, where he will likely pull a Hinkley like he did in 2019.
Bevo has such a highly inflated ego he could not cope with a Senior Assistant having significant say. He will spit the dummy and leave.

I can think of a good assistant coach next year. He lives in Sydney coaches a AFL side now but won’t be coaching a AFL team next year and he use to play for the bulldogs :)

I'd prefer to get Dean Cox or Monty for a senior coaching position over Cameron. And I'd seriously be considering poaching Boyd from Freo if that was on the cards.

Contrary to many opinions about Leons coaching ability I think he has improved over the years. He no longer has a great list but had a amazing season last hear. He would be an upgrade on Bevo

i normally dont get involved in these threads but today basically means that our best finish will be bottom of the 8. hence no flag.

yes weve had a bad run with injuries, toughish draw, playing clubs at wrong time,

but someone has to own going into a season with no legitimate back up ruck, it killed us today,

and the selections of Butler and McComb this year when their form was ordinary, and neither would play a single game for any other club this year if they were on their list (even north).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frederic goes

a president who has a voice
a new football director who hasn't been at the club for thirty years

2 new assistant experienced coaches have played AFL, not for the Benalla Football club
Simon Goodwin just took on a new contract with Dees, and was quite vocal about receiving less money in his new contract as the wage of the head coach substantially affects the ability to recruit assistant coaches due to the new soft cab rules introduced by the AFL during the Covid pandemic. Is this why we at the Bulldogs have not recruited experienced assistant coaches, and even lost good assistant coaches due to Bevo's wage at the higher end?

It’s not a “bad list” it’s just horribly unbalanced and drops off too quickly at the bottom end. I really felt like for the first time in my 40 odd years following the club we were on our way to becoming a genuine well run and resourced organisation that could be a consistent performer on and off the field. But like we’ve been accustomed to over the years, we tease and then break hearts. We made a grand final last year and yet our coaching panel looks like it’s straight out of the Diamond Valley league. Every season we seem to have more issues to deal with than most other clubs. Our forward line is always an exercise in “finding the right mix and chemistry”, our midfield is continually forced to shark the opposition ruck, we play blokes who appear to not have earned a game and who don’t make the team better, and we are at times completely unable to defend. There are glaring issues that have not been addressed year after year.

Now don’t get me wrong, I love this club like you all do and there is a lot we do well, but the current state of the club is fatiguing and has a staleness about it. The identity we’re trying to create is not apparent to me anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

.. after 8 rounds im starting to think there is no need for panic
my call (for what it's worth) is that its not so much bevo (and yes i posted weeks back that he was "coaching himself to a sacking"
its a rotten combination of player form and injuries
we cant get any type of continuity
and the players are in a funk
we are also not gelling across the ground
we all try to mark it (we spoil each other or get in each others way , way to often leaving us exposed)
we all try to get it (too many too close to the source)
we all want to win (so we all run into poor positions or run to the same)
we are a good list with lots of talent
but form and availability have ruined this season more i think than bevo

the only coaching decision which is detrimental to our winning for me
is the ridiculous, ludicrous and downright dumb plan to man the mark in such a fashion
let me explain
an argument can be made about compressing the defense more immediately in front of the player taking the kick
an argument can be made that it encourages the player to walk off the line and force the call of play on
maybe even you cant give away a jerky 50m penalty
but ... it allows those who have the ball to have more options and to move the ball deeper and we get caught out
MAN THE MARK it makes it harder!

We are a long way off being a mathematical impossibility to make finals. The doom and gloom is premature imo and the constant lamenting of what we coulda shoulda done in the off-season is redundant. We start at Round 1 with what we have and the in season challenge for us and every other club is to find a way to get that list to finals, and once there, as far as possible. Tactics, role, injuries are all part of the mix. I am utterly bored by constant refences to what we coulda shoulda done in the off-season. The imperfection of it all is part of the attraction....for me.

Here goes

a president who actually has voice
a new football director who hasn't been at the club for thirty years

2 new assistant experienced coaches and have played AFL not for the Benalla Football club

Has anyone ever seen our "President" in real life or is it an avatar that the club puts up in photos and press releases

Has anyone ever seen our "President" in real life or is it an avatar that the club puts up in photos and press releases

Yep, I have personally met her. She exists

We are a long way off being a mathematical impossibility to make finals. The doom and gloom is premature imo and the constant lamenting of what we coulda shoulda done in the off-season is redundant. We start at Round 1 with what we have and the in season challenge for us and every other club is to find a way to get that list to finals, and once there, as far as possible. Tactics, role, injuries are all part of the mix. I am utterly bored by constant refences to what we coulda shoulda done in the off-season. The imperfection of it all is part of the attraction....for me.

I like that we can all have different views and ideas on things, it’s healthy. To be clear, my post wasn’t lamenting the off-season, I was more referring to a pattern of building up hopes and then not delivering (think 2017) and also the fact we haven’t solved long-standing areas of concern despite them being apparent to everyone, such as dominating games without putting scoreboard pressure on and letting teams easily take it coast to coast for simple goals.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I guess I have a little bit of frustration as I saw two players that could really help us (Max Lynch and Kieran Strahan) completely ignored by us, and they would be fairly cheap in terms of trade cost.
We were very into Soldo who would have been a great get, we were apparently very close (Richmond losing CCJ & Chol meant they could up their offer) meant we had no plan B.

Tim O'Brien was a good get - and we did chase Jackson Prior pretty hard too.

I do think the club are aware of list shortcomings, I am concerned we seem to be a little "all eggs in one basket" when we choose a target at trade time though.
Spot on, the club do know what the list needs, but seem way too focused on the individual rather than filling the spot with a similar role player. It’s why our list always looks unbalanced, especially in regards to talls.

Couldn’t get Soldo, so we just ignore filling the role effectively. That could’ve been taken by Ladhams, who looked perfect or even Max Lynch if going cheap.

Casboult another tall utility for depth that could’ve been used in multiple positions. He’d be handy right now.

Then we just let Young go for bugger all and again, where’s the replacement? A developing Darcy that was always going to be 2-3 years away? Strange list management for a contender.

All above options are cheap, gettable and all would be playing now.

Is there something wrong with our interview process? Seems strange that KPP’s haven’t been banging down the door to join us.

We only need to look a little bit wider.

Spot on, the club do know what the list needs, but seem way too focused on the individual rather than filling the spot with a similar role player. It’s why our list always looks unbalanced, especially in regards to talls.

Couldn’t get Soldo, so we just ignore filling the role effectively. That could’ve been taken by Ladhams, who looked perfect or even Max Lynch if going cheap.

Casboult another tall utility for depth that could’ve been used in multiple positions. He’d be handy right now.

Then we just let Young go for bugger all and again, where’s the replacement? A developing Darcy that was always going to be 2-3 years away? Strange list management for a contender.

All above options are cheap, gettable and all would be playing now.

Is there something wrong with our interview process? Seems strange that KPP’s haven’t been banging down the door to join us.

We only need to look a little bit wider.
It would be interesting to find out why players do not choose the bulldogs as a side they would trade to even when we are a contending team.
Look at our history. Hall and Acker - fantastic for us yet due to off field issues no other club wanted them. Treloar, didn't want to come to us, Pies forced his hand. I can't think of any big name top 20 player who has ever nominated the bulldogs. The club need a deep dive to find out why.
We won a GF and attracted an aging Cloke who lasted a year. Richmond win a GF and attract Lynch a leading goal kicker who will give them 10 years. In todays footy, trades and free agency is now so important, it has kept Geelong up for years. Unfortunately, whatever we are doing isn't working. Relying on Bevo's past relationships is not good enough...Duryea, O'brien, Suckling. Thats another reason why having experience assistant coaches is important, they can poach players who worked well with them in the past.

It would be interesting to find out why players do not choose the bulldogs as a side they would trade to even when we are a contending team.
Look at our history. Hall and Acker - fantastic for us yet due to off field issues no other club wanted them. Treloar, didn't want to come to us, Pies forced his hand. I can't think of any big name top 20 player who has ever nominated the bulldogs. The club need a deep dive to find out why.
We won a GF and attracted an aging Cloke who lasted a year. Richmond win a GF and attract Lynch a leading goal kicker who will give them 10 years. In todays footy, trades and free agency is now so important, it has kept Geelong up for years. Unfortunately, whatever we are doing isn't working. Relying on Bevo's past relationships is not good enough...Duryea, O'brien, Suckling. Thats another reason why having experience assistant coaches is important, they can poach players who worked well with them in the past.
Maybe we don't have enough extracurricular "jobs" for the players where they can earn a few hundred grand on the side? Or in the same vein - post retirement "opportunities"? Or maybe it's just that we don't get to play in front of 90,000 on ANZAC Day? 35,000 at Marvel is a good turnout for us.

We certainly aren't a fashionable team. Seems like we'll always be regarded as the battlers from the west, even when we're playing finals. I don't know how you break that image, or whether we even want to. A lot of people got riled earlier this year when the club seemed to be trying to change its image.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back