Strategy Bevo

Remove this Banner Ad

In comparison we have only one coach - King - who spent time with another club and that was only one year (admittedly we do have Grace at VFL).

So we have a very stagnant coaching group that hasn’t change much and lacks experience in the first place. Really does stand out (at face value - but I haven’t heard of any clubs queuing up to get any of ours).
I've heard very good things about Ash Hansen, but you touch on a point which I think is worth exploring. Will we appoint an assistant coach from outside our club (and the Clarkson finishing school)?

I hope we do this year, football changes rapidly now so new ideas are welcome and let's be honest, we won the flag in 2016 by getting the jump on everyone else with tactics rather than excellent list management (concentrating our pre-season on handballing rather than kicking, opting for mobile rucks than mitigating the hit-out issue by using third man up tactics, recognizing we lacked classy forwards so adopted a chaos/weigh of entries strategy, etc).

I think this is well off the mark and purely speculation. If the reason Monty was moved on was simply because he had different ideas to Bevo, then Bev's position is unattainable and he should be sacked immediately.

I think Monty was sacked because he wasn't doing what was asked of him, he wasn't on the same page. That does not mean he had a different view, it means that his views were causing him to do things that weren't in accordance with the direction we were going. It should also be noted, that senior players were consulted in this process.

Bev is an extremely good coach and a magnificent leader of men, this is proven and has been proven on more than one occasion. What is unproven, is what is being speculated in this and a few other threads. To put him under undue pressure is unfair and unreasonable. Let's break it down...

Facts:
Wins premierships wherever he goes
Has won premierships and promotions in lower leagues
Won premierships under Clarkson
Made finals when we were expected to win the spoon
Won a flag - our first in a lifetime
Has done all this with multiple injuries and now has one of the youngest playing lists in the comp
Backs the club and its players vehemently at every opportunity.

Speculation:
Maybe a case for head scratching selections - but again we don't know the reasoning, so still speculation.
Pretty much everything else.

So all that said we know Bevo can cope when he is having success but how does he go when he doesnt ?

Whether he can handle a player group when things are going bad is a whole other thing.
- Players getting dropped numerous times in a year who think they should be playing
- Players whose best mates get the arse and contract terminated without Bevo taking the time to speak to the player directly.
- Relationships with people at the club who were close to Dalyrmple and others moved on because of conflicts
- Relationships with his president who he had fallings out with at different times last year

Little by little it all chips away at the player and coach relationship.
Debate or deny the rumours all we want - but the relationship between him and the players and others is no where near what it was.

So all that said we know Bevo can cope when he is having success but how does he go when he doesnt ?

Whether he can handle a player group when things are going bad is a whole other thing.
- Players getting dropped numerous times in a year who think they should be playing
- Players whose best mates get the arse and contract terminated without Bevo taking the time to speak to the player directly.
- Relationships with people at the club who were close to Dalyrmple and others moved on because of conflicts
- Relationships with his president who he had fallings out with at different times last year

Little by little it all chips away at the player and coach relationship.
Debate or deny the rumours all we want - but the relationship between him and the players and others is no where near what it was.

Do you know this? How? If you have concrete info on this, fair enough, but again isn't it just speculation on behalf of people here or the media? Players are informed why they aren't playing and know what they have to work on. Sometimes that means others get a game ahead of them because there's a set thing to work on.

There is much more to this story than has been reported. I'm comfortable in the knowledge that he deserved the flick and got it. It's also simplistic to assume that getting rid of one player would fix all perceived issues. It has been debated at length, so I won't start it up again here.

I'm not all over this one, but I'm more than comfortable with a coach having final say over a list decision. If Dal isn't happy with that, then that is his prerogative.

Bev and Gordon have constantly said that they work in a particular way (which is how many posting above want our coaches to work) Have robust discussions but make a decision for the team and both jump on board it. Strong mutual respect there. Again, do you have specific factual information that discounts this? If so, fair enough.

- Debate or deny the rumours all we want - but the relationship between him and the players and others is no where near what it was.
This part is where we differ. Debate and support all you want, but don't claim things as fact that you don't know to be true.

You could be right, but that word could is very important. My issue is with people saying that there is 100% a problem for X, Y, Z reasons, and the reasons are all unfounded or unconfirmed.

Do you know this? How? If you have concrete info on this, fair enough, but again isn't it just speculation on behalf of people here or the media? Players are informed why they aren't playing and know what they have to work on. Sometimes that means others get a game ahead of them because there's a set thing to work on.

There is much more to this story than has been reported. I'm comfortable in the knowledge that he deserved the flick and got it. It's also simplistic to assume that getting rid of one player would fix all perceived issues. It has been debated at length, so I won't start it up again here.

I'm not all over this one, but I'm more than comfortable with a coach having final say over a list decision. If Dal isn't happy with that, then that is his prerogative.

Bev and Gordon have constantly said that they work in a particular way (which is how many posting above want our coaches to work) Have robust discussions but make a decision for the team and both jump on board it. Strong mutual respect there. Again, do you have specific factual information that discounts this? If so, fair enough.

- Debate or deny the rumours all we want - but the relationship between him and the players and others is no where near what it was.
This part is where we differ. Debate and support all you want, but don't claim things as fact that you don't know to be true.

You could be right, but that word could is very important. My issue is with people saying that there is 100% a problem for X, Y, Z reasons, and the reasons are all unfounded or unconfirmed.

So according to you everything is rosey?

The place is a mess you don’t need facts to see the that.

Look at Bev after games and look at the effort form the players. Both scream there is a problem.

So according to you everything is rosey?

The place is a mess you don’t need facts to see the that.

Look at Bev after games and look at the effort form the players. Both scream there is a problem.
Didnt say that. Read my posts... Or are you another lemming? :cool:

All good.

Bev is a legend.

One of the youngest list. Will have great times into the future, and good times in the second half of the year.

I think this is well off the mark and purely speculation. If the reason Monty was moved on was simply because he had different ideas to Bevo, then Bev's position is unattainable and he should be sacked immediately.

I think Monty was sacked because he wasn't doing what was asked of him, he wasn't on the same page. That does not mean he had a different view, it means that his views were causing him to do things that weren't in accordance with the direction we were going. It should also be noted, that senior players were consulted in this process.

Bev is an extremely good coach and a magnificent leader of men, this is proven and has been proven on more than one occasion. What is unproven, is what is being speculated in this and a few other threads. To put him under undue pressure is unfair and unreasonable. Let's break it down...

Facts:
Wins premierships wherever he goes
Has won premierships and promotions in lower leagues
Won premierships under Clarkson
Made finals when we were expected to win the spoon
Won a flag - our first in a lifetime
Has done all this with multiple injuries and now has one of the youngest playing lists in the comp
Backs the club and its players vehemently at every opportunity.

Speculation:
Maybe a case for head scratching selections - but again we don't know the reasoning, so still speculation.
Pretty much everything else.
So our performance over last season and this is part of some cunning master plan????

I'm simply saying unless it's fact, treat it as such.
Also in relation to above, what's good for the goose as they say.
Don't be a hypocrite is another viewpoint.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol well played good sir but I am far from a lemming.

Well actually kinda have the same body type if I’m honest but that’s where the comparison ends
I think it's fair to say you can't be called out for not having your own thoughts. I'd like to think I'm the same. All be it usually a little different to your good self.

I think it's fair to say you can't be called out for not having your own thoughts. I'd like to think I'm the same. All be it usually a little different to your good self.

We are all different mate, I judge people by their ability to remain different when everyone else tries to pull them in another direction right or wrong.

Back to our club though I personally think something is up with Bev and the players and have serious concerns as to his tenure.

Perhaps if talking to someone else, but it's apt in this case. I thought the emoji pointed out the intended sarcasm.
Mattdougie didn't do anything wrong in his post but you couldn't help yourself and had to be a smart-arse with the drive-by insult. That's what I mean by being a hypocrite.

I'm usually the first on here to ride MD when he steps out of line but on occasions he is incited unnecessarily by others. You deserve to be chipped for doing just that....I'm not playing favourites...just trying to be consistent and even handed.

Mattdougie didn't do anything wrong in his post but you couldn't help yourself and had to be a smart-arse with the drive-by insult. That's what I mean by being a hypocrite.

I'm usually the first on here to ride MD when he steps out of line but on occasions he is incited unnecessarily by others. You deserve to be chipped for doing just that....I'm not playing favourites...just trying to be consistent and even handed.
It wasn't meant as a drive by insult and reading above, I don't think he took it that way either.

I still would love someone to inform me as to why we needed to get rid of Stringer so desperately. From the outside looking in, it seemed that Bevo used Jake as a scapegoat and he was a destructive influence. Once he was gone everything would be rosie again.

PM me if anyone knows the story surrounding Jake

Have you seen our draw in the second half of the year? :(
We are capable of upset on a good day.

Yes finals are way out of reach, but I am confident we can upset more fancied opponents on our day.

My absolute stab in the dark is that Beveridge has told players that this year is a make or break year in terms of their future at the club.

I have heard privately that a few notable players were a little disgruntled and did not want to play for Beveridge anymore. This was from an ex-player at our club at the start of the year. Since then, this player has verbally re-comitted to our club so I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

In short, I have NFI. I am just praying that we are building towards another huge tilt. I damn love this club and could not stomach another coach leaving us/ us sacking a successful coach.

2 out of those three definitely need to be held accountable.

What childish bickering was that?

Time after time, we heard that McCartney and Dalrymple didn't get on. Tough luck. Both of them had a job to do as paid employees of the club. It's not a bloody schoolyard.

I know you won't see it this way, but maybe those two (or at least one of them) were the problem.

Time after time, we heard that McCartney and Dalrymple didn't get on. Tough luck. Both of them had a job to do as paid employees of the club. It's not a bloody schoolyard.

I know you won't see it this way, but maybe those two (or at least one of them) were the problem.
Where'd you hear that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back