Bevos replacement

Remove this Banner Ad

How far do Carlton or Saints need to go to count as successful?

Ross the Boss the last recycled coach to make the GF in 2013 (also last recycled coach to make a PF in 2015)
Malthouse the last recycled coach to win a flag in 2010

To be fair, before last year when there was a number, its been pretty rare for clubs to give coaches second gigs
Lyon wasn’t recycled at Freo, he was poached (he walked out on the Saints and took the Freo job). This time around, he’d be recycled. Malthouse is borderline - was never sacked as far as I remember, always stepped down or moved on, although that was one long coaching career so could be remembering wrong. And even then, we’re talking about a guy who’d be in discussions for the GOAT of coaching, which is a long way from Pyke/Buckley.

Saints or Carlton win a flag and I’ll be happy to change my mind. I’m not even convinced that Carlton will win a final, let alone go all the way. And Saints are even less likely than us.

We need to go through a fair and open process, the same process we went through to get Bevo. There is a number of good assistant coaches out there. I would prefer one who played for a successful club, with a good culture.

We need to go through a fair and open process, the same process we went through to get Bevo. There is a number of good assistant coaches out there. I would prefer one who played for a successful club, with a good culture.
Being previously involved in a flag (as player or assistant) is the bare minimum. Have to go as far back as Roos to find one who hadn’t

Unfortunately the 2 best options for us were Clarko and Ross Lyon. We need a harder edge coach, someone who the players are a bit intimidated by. Bevo is an intimidating guy, but he seems too close to a select few players.

I'd go Josh Carr or Don Pyke - both very strategic, no nonsense types from what I can tell. Ball movement and defensive structure is their top priorities.
Jury out on Lade, but I am open to retaining him as senior assistant.
Josh Bruce - forward coach. Popular figure, good communicator and seems interested in coaching long term.
Michael Barlow - midfield coach. Massive wraps on this guy from Werribee. Future senior coach maybe.
Backline - open to anyone with recent playing experience in defence.

Granty and Bevo both probably need to go. Cull the list, trade players if necessary, head to the draft for some young midfield talent. Mini rebuild, but we have some enormous talent on our list still. It won't take much to bounce and a fresh new approach is needed.

Let's bring in the best available fresh coach with new ideas, who can implement a new system or style aka McRae. Then let's support the hell out of him with a range of quality assistants including at least one former head coach and other assistants with experience and/or new ideas.

Going back to the trough and recycling a former head coach who already failed might give us a sugar hit but it won't produce better results long term.

Gia would be worth a look except that he is from the Bulldogs and we don’t necessarily need to do this because the Luke Darcy, Chris Grant, Luke Beverage love triangle is really hurting this club now.
Assistants; Josh Carr, Blake Carracella, Nigel Lappin, Adam Yze? Just very hard to say?
Current coaches; John Longmire, Sam Mitchell or Adam Kingsley from other clubs would have all been great, would have loved Ken Hinkley but he’s been re-signed.
Do not want McQualter, or Dew don’t really know why.
Former coaches; yes to Nathan Buckley or Don Pike.
Whoever comes in, they need good strong assistants and a good strong footy manager. They can’t run the whole place.
Definitely need more football experience on the board, even if not from Bulldogs. But people of the calibre of Mitch Wallis or Chris Judd or Joel Selwood or Jordan Roughead there would be many good candidates out there.

No one who’s coached before at senior level.
Josh Carr would be my number one choice, Yze or Cox close seconds and thirds

I’m pretty keen on Buckley if he can bring a highly tactical coach as lead assistant. This is assuming he still has the fire to be an AFL coach.

You look at Collingwood. Macrae looks like he does * all on game day other than stand on the bench and encourage players. He’s supported by a terrific team in the box, something that we certainly don’t have.

Having read Tom Boyd's book, I don't want Leon Cameron anywhere near our club. Bloke is an A grade prick.

Buckley always comes across as being the smartest person in the room.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gia would be worth a look except that he is from the Bulldogs and we don’t necessarily need to do this because the Luke Darcy, Chris Grant, Luke Beverage love triangle is really hurting this club now.
Assistants; Josh Carr, Blake Carracella, Nigel Lappin, Adam Yze? Just very hard to say?
Absolutely not Blake. Loves himself more than Bailey Smith hates shirts.

Yze was damn close to getting the GWS gig so seems the next cab off the rank, but if the group needs to be brought 'together' and we need a repair of the harmony within the club Lappin has to be a frontrunner.
He was the guy who brought players together during his playing days, and (by reputation at least) he's probably the best relationship-repairer among senior assistants. From the little I know about him, he'd be my pick.

Yze was damn close to getting the GWS gig so seems the next cab off the rank, but if the group needs to be brought 'together' and we need a repair of the harmony within the club Lappin has to be a frontrunner.
He was the guy who brought players together during his playing days, and (by reputation at least) he's probably the best relationship-repairer among senior assistants. From the little I know about him, he'd be my pick.
Very interesting insight on NL, thanks. A little surprising as out of the ’Fab 4’ he was the one with the lowest media profile and always appeared quite introverted. Class footballer with a hurge football brain no doubt.

I would go for Adem Yze

Blake Caracella is a former Parade College student of mine from thirty years ago. He would join Jimmy Plunkett as my contribution to the Bullldogs. Maybe Blake could get me a Grand Final ticket if...

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Needs to be somebody who can re-unite the playing group if the mail from our ITKs is right (which it usually is).

And they'll need to be able to do that quick smart before the fractures become long-term/irreparable.

This means the club will also need to move quickly to make the appointment.

All of which seems very unlikely unless he walks.

Having read Tom Boyd's book, I don't want Leon Cameron anywhere near our club. Bloke is an A grade prick.

Buckley always comes across as being the smartest person in the room.
I hate Leon Cameron. Keep him away from us

Any coach that has common sense that can see that our team is literally only a few structural changes from being a regular season top 4 team which has never happened under Bevo. Almost as bad as Cameron not winning a flag with GWS OP list at its peak.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back