Bews and Rohan - are they done?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Bit harsh, but are they the Milburns/Josh Hunts/Tim McGrath/Shannon Byrnes of 2024? i.e. the AFL player who plays out the year in the Magoos while younger players take their place?

Bews is only 30, but he's always been a limited footballer, and even with Bowes and Duncan out, plus a swathe of mids, he can't get into the side. Makes me think that it would take a massive string of games in the VFL to force his way back in.

Rohan is 33, and coming off an ordinary season in 2023. Of course, he's injured rather than out of form, but I can't see Dempsey or Henry getting dropped, nor do we have room for more forward line players on the bench.

Depends how you define done

I'm sure we'll see both in the senior team throughout the season, but it may simply be that they aren't automatic selections - that shouldn't be isolated to them

I'm also not sure that Rohan's 2023 was that poor - statistically it was near identical to his 2022. Gary's biggest issue over recent seasons has been injuries & that's what has stopped him getting the best out of himself the last couple of seasons - I do think he has a role to play, hopefully his body will allow him to do that, but it's likely this is his last season

The club has spoken about Bews & not being in the form either party would be happy with and he'll play some VFL to find form. He'll also get opportunities throughout the season, but may himself on the fringes

If Rohan gets his body right he adds something.

Interesting that they have seemingly decided Mullin needs games over Bews. You’d think at some stage Bews will be needed for an important job.

If you could tell the future and knew that we weren’t going to win the flag this year, then I’d say 100% yes.

I still think a fit, fast and strong Rohan can be a really effective player in our forward half… and that might not be every week, but if we were in finals I wouldn’t complain about having him as an option to select if we wanted to.

I don’t think there’ll be any games where I think Bews could be the difference though.

Depends how you define done

I'm sure we'll see both in the senior team throughout the season, but it may simply be that they aren't automatic selections - that shouldn't be isolated to them

I'm also not sure that Rohan's 2023 was that poor - statistically it was near identical to his 2023. Gary's biggest issue over recent seasons has been injuries & that's what has stopped him getting the best out of himself the last couple of seasons - I do think he has a role to play, hopefully his body will allow him to do that, but it's likely this is his last season

The club has spoken about Bews & not being in the form either party would be happy with and he'll play some VFL to find form. He'll also get opportunities throughout the season, but may himself on the fringes
Hmm.. I don't know how Rohan's 2023 could only be "near" identical to his 2023. 😉

Hmm.. I don't know how Rohan's 2023 could only be "near" identical to his 2023. 😉
Stupid phone and small keyboard 😂 - updated to 2022

I don't think anyone called Rohan "done" after 2022 - still value there IF he can get his body right

1711264019115.png

Over the past two years he's been subbed off twice & subbed on once

A fit Rohan isn't ahead of Ollie Henry lmfao
I would say he is because of ground level pressure. Ollie is great in the air and can kick a clutch goal but Rohan impacts a ton of general play with defensive pressure in f50. 2022 he was a massive part of generating so many turnovers that we used to generate scoring shots. We just don't defend f50 anything like we did in 2022 without him and it hurts us.

I love Henry but I'm not taking him over a fit Rohan and I think people who would may have short memories.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting question. A more recent context (because I like the omen!) is are they the Higgins and Dal of 2022. Who both were in the “best 22” (or right on fringe) and actually played a number of games early and were ready to play late as players rested. But in the back half with limited injuries they just couldnt get in the best 22 and both left at end of year.

Interesting they didn’t really suffer from the 3 year players going past them (ie. Frank or Stephens) and 1st years weren’t ready (we really only had max as 2nd year). In 2024 we have Dempsey as 3rd year and lets count Mannagh given he is new but definitely not a 1st year maturity. Both of them I think are ahead. We have a 2nd year (Clark) who they want to be in best 22 (different position).

In my mind I think we sort of hit consensus on Bews. Something would need to change for him to push his case.

Rohan is harder because he adds something no one else has. That chase down speed. And also he is as good if not better in terms of crashing the packs (and occasional mark) but frankly I don’t that is offensive stuff holds up against the two Ollies. So it is down to the value of the defensive stuff. No question it is valuable but enough to displace one of the Ollies (and Mannagh).

I am on the fence until we see him play. And not just judge on what we see but how it helps the whole team. What I mean by that is in the two games to date I think our whole of ground defence has been excellent. So while we don’t have a manic chaser like Rohan we do have players to run and fill gaps. And when opposition have ball in hand I think that is just about as important as being worried about being chased down from behind? Ie. Looking up and seeing no space anywhere all the time is huge pressure

Our pressure rating as a team was at elite level for long periods over the first two rounds. That has to be partly due to younger and hungrier legs?

The other factor of course is whether we are winning or losing - in terms of whether they change it up

By the way this is a nice problem to have. If Rohan doesn’t get back into the team I think it means we are competing for a premiership? If we are going really badly they will at least try to turn it around with him in the team until they give up. There is no way we are out of finals contention until very late in the season though

I would say he is because of ground level pressure. Ollie is great in the air and can kick a clutch goal but Rohan impacts a ton of general play with defensive pressure in f50. 2022 he was a massive part of generating so many turnovers that we used to generate scoring shots. We just don't defend f50 anything like we did in 2022 without him and it hurts us.

I love Henry but I'm not taking him over a fit Rohan and I think people who would may have short memories.
You and I are more often than not on the same page. And I understand what Rohan does that Ollie can’t. But Ollie H kicked 2 goals a game last year which is hard to give up? Plus I think the team defence might mitigate the loss of Rohan in that area? Not sure

They're all great in the scheme of it but unfortunately, at 33 and injured for 2 years now, he's just not in front of a dude who kicked 40+ goals at 20 and is probably our best forward marker in the air.

You and I are more often than not on the same page. And I understand what Rohan does that Ollie can’t. But Ollie H kicked 2 goals a game last year which is hard to give up? Plus I think the team defence might mitigate the loss of Rohan in that area? Not sure
Yeah maybe team defence across the board is doing it for us but for the extra 0.66 goals per game last year we gained from Henry over Rohan I would take Rohan for defensive pressure and positional flexibility.

I think Henry is an A grade prospect for us long term, but in a choice him and 2022 Rohan right now I'd go Rohan

If they both have their pace then there is probably still a chance they come in and hold a spot.

Can Bews come in for Mullin? Mullin is obviously one they like but atm he is borderline as a player. Has really done much since his first game. He still looks like he is walking on glass at times, not wanting to make a mistake. Heard 2e interviewd and he was rap for the kid and admitted that he probably got ignored at times. They must see the potential player he will be with 25-50 games into him. I just wish they would take this approach to Neale as well. Shows how its probably easier to hide a small rather than a tall. Bews has that experience and Id probably truct him to shut down a FP goal kicker more than Mullin...so I suspect his time will come.

Can Rohan bring speed to we have seen before..if so then one would think he brings as much as some other getting games. His run down tackles are something that will fit into the forward pressure style. Could he help bringing the ball out like Holmes. He has shown in the past that he is not natural at that but the game seems to now be suited to him. Less important on certainty with possession and more importance on cutting thru and moving it quickly. AS long as he is fit ..and still has his speed...then I think he gets back in.

Yeah maybe team defence across the board is doing it for us but for the extra 0.66 goals per game last year we gained from Henry over Rohan I would take Rohan for defensive pressure and positional flexibility.

I think Henry is an A grade prospect for us long term, but in a choice him and 2022 Rohan right now I'd go Rohan

I agree with this.

I still think Rohan is more valuable in any given game, but I can understand wanting to select the Ollie's to develop. I still think O.Henry is too similar to Menzel (attack threat and not much else), except Henry has his knees and can in theory run if the penny drops.

They're all great in the scheme of it but unfortunately, at 33 and injured for 2 years now, he's just not in front of a dude who kicked 40+ goals at 20 and is probably our best forward marker in the air.
Which is why I said if fit. It's academic because he's not and might never be again. Call it an outrageous claim if you want but while Henry kicks more goals, I think our whole forward line was better with Rohan closing down space and presenting a target.

If they both have their pace then there is probably still a chance they come in and hold a spot.

Can Bews come in for Mullin? Mullin is obviously one they like but atm he is borderline as a player. Has really done much since his first game. He still looks like he is walking on glass at times, not wanting to make a mistake. Heard 2e interviewd and he was rap for the kid and admitted that he probably got ignored at times. They must see the potential player he will be with 25-50 games into him. I just wish they would take this approach to Neale as well. Shows how its probably easier to hide a small rather than a tall. Bews has that experience and Id probably truct him to shut down a FP goal kicker more than Mullin...so I suspect his time will come.

Can Rohan bring speed to we have seen before..if so then one would think he brings as much as some other getting games. His run down tackles are something that will fit into the forward pressure style. Could he help bringing the ball out like Holmes. He has shown in the past that he is not natural at that but the game seems to now be suited to him. Less important on certainty with possession and more importance on cutting thru and moving it quickly. AS long as he is fit ..and still has his speed...then I think he gets back in.
Mullin has maybe 6 games, half probably as sub. I suspect he's still settling the nerves but has shown more than Bews in training. He's simply a better athlete and Bews was a pretty good athlete. Bews might still be slightly better at the moment but I bet when Mullin has 10 games in a row and feels comfortable he's a much better player.

I agree on Rohan, if the speed is there he's in the team. He's a fantastic slingshot weapon, he's manic in his pressure, and pretty good at contesting in the air. It nits the game plan together nicely.

Mullin has maybe 6 games, half probably as sub. I suspect he's still settling the nerves but has shown more than Bews in training. He's simply a better athlete and Bews was a pretty good athlete. Bews might still be slightly better at the moment but I bet when Mullin has 10 games in a row and feels comfortable he's a much better player.

I agree on Rohan, if the speed is there he's in the team. He's a fantastic slingshot weapon, he's manic in his pressure, and pretty good at contesting in the air. It nits the game plan together nicely.

I cant see Mullin being better that quickly. If I were thinking we need a small to try to shut down Toby then id be playing Bews before Mullin atm... but each game he plays , he is slipstreaming Bews and gaining ground on him. When he starts taking the ball and using his pace and taking on oppoents we will know he is in front. Your right it could be this year after 10 games but I suspect it will be 2025. The issue for him ..he has no time to waste ..he is 24 , he is at an age he should playing the game..not letting it play him.

I don't think anyone called Rohan "done" after 2022 - still value there IF he can get his body right
I was that bloody close to calling him "done" in 2022 until he pulled that Qualifying Final out of his arse. That game did a lot of heavy lifting.

i can’t argue with that. But question we don’t know answer to is whether we have a 2022 Rohan. I suspect not but…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back