List Mgmt. Bews re-signs to 2021

On track to reach 100 games next season barring injury - and highly spoken of by the club:

“Jed has proved himself as a key member of our backline and can play a number of roles,” Geelong’s general manager of football Simon Lloyd said.

“He is an excellent teammate and is highly respected within the club. We are pleased to have secured Jed, who was eligible to become a free agent after the season.”

I bet he couldn't sign quick enough.
Not really - this is from 2 August and suggests that talks and negotiations between the 2 parties were ongoing. Doubtfully they only just put a contract to him

GEELONG remains confident out-of-contract defender Jed Bews will be at the club beyond the end of this season, despite him not putting pen to paper just four weeks out from finals...

...Bews is one of several Cats out of contract at the end of the year, but the club is happy with the state of negotiations with his management.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Signing Bews ensure we do not losing him for zero as a FA... if we bring in a FA. Could be coincidence but could be that we decided to offer him enough to get the signature to ensure that no one tempts him..

Think more coincidence TC. I'd say they just see Bews as a decent small defender of which we have very few. Personally, I think we need to be replacing him in our best 22 asap with someone far more attacking and talented. He's a decent depth player for mine.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Think more coincidence TC. I'd say they just see Bews as a decent small defender of which we have very few. Personally, I think we need to be replacing him in our best 22 asap with someone far more attacking and talented. He's a decent depth player for mine.

It might be .. but i feel few things are purely coincidental.. he would have had a contract offer for many weeks.. has it been changed recently ..or is it Bews deciding to just sign now a few days before he may be available to other clubs..

He is not a depth player atm. Maybe we need to replace him ..but there are no small defenders that look as likely to do so..

Dont mind it. Never gonna be a star but a good small defender he is. Nothing flash but thats ok too.

GO Catters

He'll have been in the system for 10 years after this contract. Is there enough upside for him to be an AFL player or just be depth? Between him Touhy O'Connor Clark Zuthie and even Guthrie and maybe Simpson and the other general defenders (Stewart, Kolo, Henry) somethings gotta give.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Depth. We need more weapons down back.

If we are going to go forward as a club it’s players like him and Kolo that are going to need replacing. Just not up to it. Happy for him to stay on a minimum contract as depth for a couple of years whilst we develop someone that can play at a higher level.

Back