List Mgmt. Bews re-signs to 2021

STPer18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
If we are going to go forward as a club it’s players like him and Kolo that are going to need replacing. Just not up to it. Happy for him to stay on a minimum contract as depth for a couple of years whilst we develop someone that can play at a higher level.
Stewart is just about the only bloke that consistently plays defence that isn't a complete liability with ball in hand. Tuohy hasn't been up to it this year, and between Blicavs, Kolo, Bews, Henry etc there's not a single one you'd want biting off a risky kick to launch an attack from. Something has to give.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

year of the cat

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Stewart is just about the only bloke that consistently plays defence that isn't a complete liability with ball in hand. Tuohy hasn't been up to it this year, and between Blicavs, Kolo, Bews, Henry etc there's not a single one you'd want biting off a risky kick to launch an attack from. Something has to give.
I agree. Henry is still young and developing. He played pretty well on Friday I thought. His kicking, as you say though, does need a bit of work.

A lot of good defenders aren’t great kicks but we do need to introduce a couple of guys that are elite kicks. Clark can be one. What was most noticeable on Friday, and has been for a lot of the last few seasons when playing on the bigger grounds, we struggle to switch play quickly to the other side. Collingwood did it fantastically well, we were slow giving the Pies players far too much time to move over to cover the move.
Get another one or two defenders that can kick a flat 60m pass would be bloody handy.

year of the cat

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I feel the Bews hate is a little OTT. He can be a pretty solid contributor who sometimes makes the odd mistake but we need players like him in the squad.
It’s not “hate”. It’s just a recognition that we need to improve as a team and that certain personnel need replacing if we are to. Already mentioned Kolo, but could add Stanley, Rohan and a few others. We need much more out of Parfitt, O’Connor, Narkle etc but they are younger so we hope they will continue to develop with opportunity.

Personally I admire Bews determination and effort. He just lacks class. Simple as that.

DAlembert

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Good for Bews on an individual basis. Unfortunately he offers next to nothing as a defender. Will finish his career as one of the worst players to play AFL Football and play a hundred games (IF he gets there). If his salary is right at the bottom of the range maybe fair enough. He has his followers on this forum I am and never will be one of them. The guy simply cannot play. No rebound..no dash..no instincts...no football brain.

Vdubs

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 1, 2008
48 J 09
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal
Good for Bews on an individual basis. Unfortunately he offers next to nothing as a defender. Will finish his career as one of the worst players to play AFL Football and play a hundred games (IF he gets there). If his salary is right at the bottom of the range maybe fair enough. He has his followers on this forum I am and never will be one of them. The guy simply cannot play. No rebound..no dash..no instincts...no football brain.
Amazing the variance in opinions on players.

DAlembert

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Hope he’s on minimal money. Defensively good but just offers nothing else to a half back line screaming for some dash, run and carry.
He would have signed for a can of coke and a packet of Chips. As a free agent there Might...Big Might, have been interest from the GC but unlikely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

year of the cat

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Even I’m not that harsh on him! But he’s very limited.

Top Bottom