List Mgmt. Bews re-signs to 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

If we are going to go forward as a club it’s players like him and Kolo that are going to need replacing. Just not up to it. Happy for him to stay on a minimum contract as depth for a couple of years whilst we develop someone that can play at a higher level.
Stewart is just about the only bloke that consistently plays defence that isn't a complete liability with ball in hand. Tuohy hasn't been up to it this year, and between Blicavs, Kolo, Bews, Henry etc there's not a single one you'd want biting off a risky kick to launch an attack from. Something has to give.

Stewart is just about the only bloke that consistently plays defence that isn't a complete liability with ball in hand. Tuohy hasn't been up to it this year, and between Blicavs, Kolo, Bews, Henry etc there's not a single one you'd want biting off a risky kick to launch an attack from. Something has to give.

I agree. Henry is still young and developing. He played pretty well on Friday I thought. His kicking, as you say though, does need a bit of work.

A lot of good defenders aren’t great kicks but we do need to introduce a couple of guys that are elite kicks. Clark can be one. What was most noticeable on Friday, and has been for a lot of the last few seasons when playing on the bigger grounds, we struggle to switch play quickly to the other side. Collingwood did it fantastically well, we were slow giving the Pies players far too much time to move over to cover the move.
Get another one or two defenders that can kick a flat 60m pass would be bloody handy.

I feel the Bews hate is a little OTT. He can be a pretty solid contributor who sometimes makes the odd mistake but we need players like him in the squad.

It’s not “hate”. It’s just a recognition that we need to improve as a team and that certain personnel need replacing if we are to. Already mentioned Kolo, but could add Stanley, Rohan and a few others. We need much more out of Parfitt, O’Connor, Narkle etc but they are younger so we hope they will continue to develop with opportunity.

Personally I admire Bews determination and effort. He just lacks class. Simple as that.

Good for Bews on an individual basis. Unfortunately he offers next to nothing as a defender. Will finish his career as one of the worst players to play AFL Football and play a hundred games (IF he gets there). If his salary is right at the bottom of the range maybe fair enough. He has his followers on this forum I am and never will be one of them. The guy simply cannot play. No rebound..no dash..no instincts...no football brain.

Good for Bews on an individual basis. Unfortunately he offers next to nothing as a defender. Will finish his career as one of the worst players to play AFL Football and play a hundred games (IF he gets there). If his salary is right at the bottom of the range maybe fair enough. He has his followers on this forum I am and never will be one of them. The guy simply cannot play. No rebound..no dash..no instincts...no football brain.
Amazing the variance in opinions on players.

Hope he’s on minimal money. Defensively good but just offers nothing else to a half back line screaming for some dash, run and carry.
He would have signed for a can of coke and a packet of Chips. As a free agent there Might...Big Might, have been interest from the GC but unlikely.

Even I’m not that harsh on him! But he’s very limited.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not on him per se. It is harsh on the FOOTBALLER..not the man. This is a football forum not a judgement on a human being. The Bews family are actually related to my mothers family.
Even as a footballer, very harsh. I think he has decent skills, and great endeavour. Best 22 every week in my team, and it seems CS /MC think that too. We need players like that. Kicks the odd handy goal as well.

Plays a role I am sure it's cost effective, I still think he is one of Geelongs better small defenders just not very versatile unfortunately. Wing & half forward not his go not a lot of polish to the lad.

2020 will be very interesting for him as he went a fair way back in the Que for mine. Went from being in my eyes very important in 2018 with the rise of MOC improvement of Henry. Tom Stewart being one of the best half backs in the competition & kolo being a probably more versatile defender your left with Tuohy, Clark as more running and offensive players which is what Geelong ideally need.

He needs to keep developing working hard get himself super fit and he will be around the best 22 quite a lot i suspect.

First off I like Jed Bews as a player I thought he was a best 22 player two years back. I wouldn't think it would be for many dollars considering I think he could play senior footy elsewhere probably rookied.

I would be a touch worried with how Geelongs backline is locked in in the tall department Henry, Stewart commanding games. And MOC development Geelong is crying out for small defender that can kick the ball.

It's only two years but I would of more been an advocate for 1 year extension. See how 2020 shakes out for him I guess if he can crack best 22 for a long period of time or not.

It's honestly quite tricky to get him in

Plays a role I am sure it's cost effective, I still think he is one of Geelongs better small defenders just not very versatile unfortunately. Wing & half forward not his go not a lot of polish to the lad.

2020 will be very interesting for him as he went a fair way back in the Que for mine. Went from being in my eyes very important in 2018 with the rise of MOC improvement of Henry. Tom Stewart being one of the best half backs in the competition & kolo being a probably more versatile defender your left with Tuohy, Clark as more running and offensive players which is what Geelong ideally need.

He needs to keep developing working hard get himself super fit and he will be around the best 22 quite a lot i suspect.
Might just be me, but he seemed to look really chunky. He is a strong build, and a true athlete, but perhaps if he became a little leaner, it could assist his output.
Overall, he is generally a lock for my 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back