Resource Beyond the "66 Game" Rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't believe it was ever called a 66 game rebuild. Does the rebuild end when we get all the players we want on our list or does it end when those players mature and we start playing good football?

I would go with the latter.

Crunch the numbers...

In 2015 a rebuild will mean we replace all but 3 players. Docherty, Cripps and Jones.

That means that the task is to find 37 players of elite to good quality.

Those players will need to be allowed to mature which happens at around 22-24 years of age.

No priority picks or special compensation. Starting from a low base so not too many players to trade out so we're limited and trading out is going to hurt. No expendable players to trade.

We get 3 good draft picks per season. Without being crafty and getting package deals with our trades that means it would take 12 years to find 37 good players. 6 years to find 22. Plus 3 or 4 years for them to mature.

With aggressive trading and drafting and big list turnovers we can half that to 6 or 7 years. So 3 or 4 to find 22. Plus their development time frame of 3-4 years.

Crunch the numbers people. We are actually on track. No one wants to hear about 6 or 7 year rebuilds but this is the reality of it.

We are 4 years into a 6 or 7 year rebuild where we will be spending most of it down the bottom.

That will only change when we have our full list of players and most of them are in that 22 or 23-28 year old age bracket.

2015 - Rebuild begins, Clean out and heavy recruitment - Focus on talls
2016 - clean out and heavy recruitment - Focus on mids and flankers
2017 - Clean out focus on mids and a Ruck/forward etc
2018 - Rock bottom and heavy recruitment. Average losing margin just under 50. Focus on mids, some slightly more mature players and plugging holes

2019 - development year. Average losing margin halved. Focus on forwards and elite mids will look for mature players and build depth. 2015 draftees start to hit maturity. Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Cuningham, Kennedy, Silvagni.
2020 - Competitive year - Focus on filling the gaps mature players early and raw talent late. 2016 draftees start to hit maturity. SPS, Setterfield, Fisher, Macreadie, Polson, Williamson, Kerr, .
2021 - Push for finals - Focus on an elite players and we fill holes with elite talent. 2017 Draftees begin to mature. Dow, O'Brien, DeKoning, Schumacher.
2022 - peak - Most players in the 23-28 year age gap. 2018 draftees hit maturity. Walsh, Stocker, O'Dwyer, Silvagni. Holes are filled, list is mature and very talented from years of patience and taking the long road. We present a very complete side with very few holes or weaknesses.

I would hope that this 66 game rebuild crap is something that has been spewed out to the fans and not something that is generally believed internally.

Crunch the numbers, we are all getting ahead of ourselves, this is a development year, if you don't like it then complain to the AFL that we haven't been resourced with enough draft picks. You put the priority pick into this equation and remove the two new teams and it takes a year or maybe even two off our rebuild time frame but this is the age we live in, this is Gil's AFL where it takes f***ing forever to build a team from scratch.

On a positive note, when we get to mid table things will mover very very fast. Our most important thing is player retention. I still believe if we keep our staff and our players and just keep adding to this then we will become a really really strong side when the rebuild is complete and the players mature.

I guess there would be a meltdown if the club came out and said it's going to be a 7 year rebuild and we will be down the bottom for most of it. In one way it would have been good to stick it to the AFL and their system but in another way it would have been disastrous for attendances, fan following, membership, recruitment and player retention.

This is not the first 7 year rebuild. Richmond did one. The big difference is where we are coming from is rock bottom and other teams usually start it from around mid table. Plus there are priority picks etc involved in other clubs rebuilds.

It's a harsh reality for us to get our heads around but this is the reality. None of us want to hear we have a couple more years to wait. We all want things to come on quicker but the numbers don't lie.

For what it's worth I wouldn't take too much notice of other developing clubs who are better than us or appear ahead of us like Brisbane or St Kilda. It's all about where we finish up and I am confident that when we finish we are a good chance to finish better. It's a long distance race and we have not sprinted at the start.
The other option would be to break the bank, chase stars and retain everyone who could play. That would be the easy quick fix solution. That doesn't fix the cultural problems and when we get to being a top side we would be limited, stagnate around the middle then bottom out anyway the same as the last rebuild.

SO it's not the only way but it's the best way.

One thing is for sure by going down the long road and being patient, when we mature and we arrive. We will have a really deep talent pool and a lot of quality through the 22 and we will have a side that not only plays finals but should be a realistic premiership chance.

the thing about rebuilding you only really start to rise when you get close to the peak period, it's not a steady increase or steady improvement, you more or less stay the same quality until the jobs is done and then the jump happens, especially when there are a lot of young players involved.
When you're gradually trading off quality older players like we have most seasons and replacing them with young players who are three to five seasons away you won't see gradual improvement. When the few older players you have are declining because they are a good number of years away from their prime age you won't see gradual improvement, if anything we will go the other way for a while and we have.

Bryce Gibbs goes out. Paddy Dow and Lochie O'Brien come in. Both those boys are 4 or 5 years away before they make up for that loss. Not saying it was a bad move, it was a great move for our future but there's bucket loads of examples of this and this is why you don't see gradual improvement.

This is the first season where the draftees from the start of the rebuild have matured enough to be able to play good footy at AFL level and they have. Weitering was criticised heavily last year and this year we are praising the footy he is playing. McKay cracked a game at the end of last year and this year he's marking everything. Cuningham has been a maligned player for most of his career, at the moment we can't wait to see him back in the side. Next year we have SPS, Fisher, Polson, Williamson and Kerr to look forward to hitting maturity.

So really we are only just coming into a period where we should begin to see the first signs of improvement and IMO we have but they are very small.

The gradual improvement I expect to see is that last season we lost by an average of nearly 50 points. I expect we can halve that or thereabouts. Winning two games, well I would like to think we can win 4. Perhaps we can double this every season for the next three seasons. That would see us get to a top side within 3 years.

A team like us, not much will happen for years then when we start to improve it will happen rapidly over two or three year period I believe.

We aren't comparable with Melbourne, just as how we aren't comparable to our last rebuild. Different approach, different people.

I think we're about the stage where we can go all out for a big name. I was happy for us to miss Shiel and instead get good numbers of youth like Setterfield, Walsh, Stocker etc.

I think our players are developing quite well. It's hard to see a player who has not improved. Charlie Curnow is the only player not to improve IMO and that's a form thing which was interrupted by injury.

I think a lot of us expected improving meant winning games and it might, but considering how far back and where we are at in a rebuild which will take 7 years and where most of our players are at in their careers it's going to take a while yet.

The media are going after us pretty hard right now. All I can say to them is (Where's the middle finger emoji?).

5 years down the bottom. Accumulate. Develop. Bang.

That is some damn quality posting right there kids! :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

When you're gradually trading off quality older players like we have most seasons and replacing them with young players who are three to five seasons away you won't see gradual improvement. When the few older players you have are declining because they are a good number of years away from their prime age you won't see gradual improvement, if anything we will go the other way for a while and we have.

Bryce Gibbs goes out. Paddy Dow and Lochie O'Brien come in. Both those boys are 4 or 5 years away before they make up for that loss. Not saying it was a bad move, it was a great move for our future but there's bucket loads of examples of this and this is why you don't see gradual improvement.

This is the first season where the draftees from the start of the rebuild have matured enough to be able to play good footy at AFL level and they have. Weitering was criticised heavily last year and this year we are praising the footy he is playing. McKay cracked a game at the end of last year and this year he's marking everything. Cuningham has been a maligned player for most of his career, at the moment we can't wait to see him back in the side. Next year we have SPS, Fisher, Polson, Williamson and Kerr to look forward to hitting maturity.

So really we are only just coming into a period where we should begin to see the first signs of improvement and IMO we have but they are very small.

The gradual improvement I expect to see is that last season we lost by an average of nearly 50 points. I expect we can halve that or thereabouts. Winning two games, well I would like to think we can win 4. Perhaps we can double this every season for the next three seasons. That would see us get to a top side within 3 years.

A team like us, not much will happen for years then when we start to improve it will happen rapidly over two or three year period I believe.

We aren't comparable with Melbourne, just as how we aren't comparable to our last rebuild. Different approach, different people.

I think we're about the stage where we can go all out for a big name. I was happy for us to miss Shiel and instead get good numbers of youth like Setterfield, Walsh, Stocker etc.

I think our players are developing quite well. It's hard to see a player who has not improved. Charlie Curnow is the only player not to improve IMO and that's a form thing which was interrupted by injury.

I think a lot of us expected improving meant winning games and it might, but considering how far back and where we are at in a rebuild which will take 7 years and where most of our players are at in their careers it's going to take a while yet.

The media are going after us pretty hard right now. All I can say to them is (Where's the middle finger emoji?).

Good post and as you say we aren’t comparable to Melbourne or our last rebuild, you are 100% right. You can’t really compare any clubs way of building a list because every list builds from a different point and have different players to start with and available when they go to the draft/to trade. Also every single way of building a list wether that’s topping up, Full rebuild, semi rebuild, every way has proven to be successful and unsuccessful. All can work and it really just comes down to execution.
I think we’ve taken the safest/easiest route of getting talent and I support that but with that we have probably also embraced the toughest way to develop players.
It’s so early in the season and so much can change but I think it’s absolutely vital that we get another star player in to ensure we actually improve next season. Personally despite the GC game I’ve been pretty happy with how our side is travelling this season but I also think we could potentially be an injury to Cripps away from a disaster.

To be honest most of my worries come from me being an idiot and reading old Melbourne forums from about 8 years ago. There are plenty of similarities but the one thing that I take huge confidence out of is SOS thought we were getting MG, Newman and Shiel last year, all best 22 players in finals teams. He is 100% trying to fast track things now we have a core of talented younger players and that’s what will improve and speed up our development.

Good post and as you say we aren’t comparable to Melbourne or our last rebuild, you are 100% right. You can’t really compare any clubs way of building a list because every list builds from a different point and have different players to start with and available when they go to the draft/to trade. Also every single way of building a list wether that’s topping up, Full rebuild, semi rebuild, every way has proven to be successful and unsuccessful. All can work and it really just comes down to execution.
I think we’ve taken the safest/easiest route of getting talent and I support that but with that we have probably also embraced the toughest way to develop players.
It’s so early in the season and so much can change but I think it’s absolutely vital that we get another star player in to ensure we actually improve next season. Personally despite the GC game I’ve been pretty happy with how our side is travelling this season but I also think we could potentially be an injury to Cripps away from a disaster.

To be honest most of my worries come from me being an idiot and reading old Melbourne forums from about 8 years ago. There are plenty of similarities but the one thing that I take huge confidence out of is SOS thought we were getting MG, Newman and Shiel last year, all best 22 players in finals teams. He is 100% trying to fast track things now we have a core of talented younger players and that’s what will improve and speed up our development.

Yeah I think we do need to get some young talent into our list. But in saying that, if we manage to get some youngster in their first few years who has all the talent but hasn't developed enough to crack it in a top side just yet instead of a Kelly, Taranto or Coniglio then I'd be really happy with that.

We will be getting some talent coming through next year. That's the maturity of the 2016 draft year and the further development of the rest.

I think SOS is trying to stick to our development time frame and get as many players onto our list who will be peaking around that 2022 period. That means that we have to start trying to get players who have been in the system for a little.

I'm hoping that we can double our performance from last season and that would mean cutting our losing margins to around 25-30 and win 4 games. Then double it again the following season and so forth.

I think we're going ok. The media just love setting up clubs to fail so they can get stuck in. Maybe if they poke Carlton enough Carlton might do a Carlton thing and sack the coach or something that will make big news. Hopefully that doesn't happen. Give the list managers a chance to recruit a team and that team to develop then judge how it's being managed.

This deserves more likes. Spot on. Surely this logic is not beyond the comprehension of the masses?

It frustrates me to no end the thick ignorance of the footy media & many fans (BF in fairness, whilst suffering its share of riff raff, is relatively informed). The need to distill every situation into a super-recent comparison that was either spectacular or spectacularly bad - devoid of any nuance or deeper understanding - is an instant sign of a trash opinion. Comparisons can be helpful to a point. But the comparisons to Melbourne or Brisbane for example, without recognising very obvious differences, are atrocious.

A key point-of-difference in our situation stems from our woeful recruiting & development pre-2015. We simply don’t have anyone left. We traded a few out to stock up on elite youth. The others weren’t AFL standard. And as such we are now left with a huge void of mature aged talent. Given the inconsistency of youth and the incredible importance of experience & several years of AFL conditioning, there is really nothing else we could have reasonably expected at this point.

It’s going to pay off, I have no doubt, even though I’m also frustrated by games like Sunday. But I see it as a competitive effort by a side desperately trying to figure itself out, with players cobbled together from other clubs, recent drafts and a few survivors from darker times. They need time. And as mentioned above, when it does start to click, it’s going to happen really quickly, because they’re all aligning to hit their straps at the same time. When they do, when it starts to click and they start to build confidence and realise what they can do, it’s going to be a lot of fun. Just gotta hang in there until then - maybe 2020, maybe 2021, maybe later - the building blocks are there.

A player like Cognilio would surely be worth throwing every cent saved over the last three years at. Goes about it in a way that would help Cripps drag the team over the line in games like the GCS.

Might help speed up the improvement we know is happening.

This deserves more likes. Spot on. Surely this logic is not beyond the comprehension of the masses?

It frustrates me to no end the thick ignorance of the footy media & many fans (BF in fairness, whilst suffering its share of riff raff, is relatively informed). The need to distill every situation into a super-recent comparison that was either spectacular or spectacularly bad - devoid of any nuance or deeper understanding - is an instant sign of a trash opinion. Comparisons can be helpful to a point. But the comparisons to Melbourne or Brisbane for example, without recognising very obvious differences, are atrocious.

A key point-of-difference in our situation stems from our woeful recruiting & development pre-2015. We simply don’t have anyone left. We traded a few out to stock up on elite youth. The others weren’t AFL standard. And as such we are now left with a huge void of mature aged talent. Given the inconsistency of youth and the incredible importance of experience & several years of AFL conditioning, there is really nothing else we could have reasonably expected at this point.

It’s going to pay off, I have no doubt, even though I’m also frustrated by games like Sunday. But I see it as a competitive effort by a side desperately trying to figure itself out, with players cobbled together from other clubs, recent drafts and a few survivors from darker times. They need time. And as mentioned above, when it does start to click, it’s going to happen really quickly, because they’re all aligning to hit their straps at the same time. When they do, when it starts to click and they start to build confidence and realise what they can do, it’s going to be a lot of fun. Just gotta hang in there until then - maybe 2020, maybe 2021, maybe later - the building blocks are there.
This also deserves more likes.
The trouble always is that people refuse to use their thinking caps enough and work out the bleeding obvious. Or maybe they cant, I dunno......
The myopic its not fair attitude prevails and creates a lot of tensions. I think in reality SOS and Bolton and the club probably didnt ram home the enormity of the task they took on hard enough at the beginning to penetrate into the consciousness of the masses.

The trouble always is that people refuse to use their thinking caps enough and work out the bleeding obvious. Or maybe they cant, I dunno......
The myopic its not fair attitude prevails and creates a lot of tensions. I think in reality SOS and Bolton and the club probably didnt ram home the enormity of the task they took on hard enough at the beginning to penetrate into the consciousness of the masses.
deserves further likes........

Perhaps SOS, Bolton and the club didn't realize the enormity of the task they took on.

This is a huge factor. You always look at how many players will be left from the start of a rebuild. With us it's 3. It shouldn't be three. If it was 5 or 6 then sure, that's not to bad. Make no mistake, when we are a good side next Jones, Docherty and Cripps will be the only ones left. Murphy, Simpson, Curnow, Kreuzer. I struggle to see any of them being around then, they are already starting to look a bit cooked if you ask me. Solid contributors but slipping.

The media and our impatient fan base have no idea what a full rebuild means. In the past 6 or 7 years is at least the time frame and I can't see how bottom sides have become better resourced. Only worse resourced if you ask me. The AFL changing things has cost us 1-2 years IMO. If you count by draft picks per season and how long it will take to get 30-35 good players in, it's a long haul.

We've improved, we just aren't winning. Even if we improve on last season and double our output that only equates to 4 wins and a losing margin around 25. I think we might achieve that and if we do then that is a win.

I think it's pretty telling that FBI's graph (which is awesome BTW) shows a clear trend of us losing more games at a similar rate that the number of youth in the team increased.

Time is the biggest factor affecting our club's success. And we can't speed it up too much ourselves unfortunately.

One thing that I'd like to see and would likely take too much effort is to make a graph of the average improvement of all other 'youth' in the comp. See how it compares.
I had looked into this before and started some comparisons between us and St Kilda and North i think (mainly to highlight how they weren't young) back in 2017

The only problem is that you can't access historical figures of AFL Player Ratings - i.e you cant look back to Round 1 of last year and record exactly what Marcus Bontempelli's rating was. The only way you can do it is to have a rough guess based off of the graph they generate, which is relatively small and difficult to guess accurately.

Additionally, this graph is based on the best 22 players each week, not the total youth numbers. So to compare my graph to other team you would have had to go back and determine which players were playing each week and go from there. I also average the total youth player ratings of all players on our list (which i don't publish on line but are recorded in my spreadhseet) but to compare these averages would provide little insight as the teams with more youth not playing would be far lower than the teams with less youth or with more youth in their best 22 actually playing games.

It's a difficult exercise but i'm happy to show my records to anyone who wants to try and prepare a comparison with other recent rebuilds if they have the itme.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had looked into this before and started some comparisons between us and St Kilda and North i think (mainly to highlight how they weren't young) back in 2017

The only problem is that you can't access historical figures of AFL Player Ratings - i.e you cant look back to Round 1 of last year and record exactly what Marcus Bontempelli's rating was. The only way you can do it is to have a rough guess based off of the graph they generate, which is relatively small and difficult to guess accurately.

Additionally, this graph is based on the best 22 players each week, not the total youth numbers. So to compare my graph to other team you would have had to go back and determine which players were playing each week and go from there. I also average the total youth player ratings of all players on our list (which i don't publish on line but are recorded in my spreadhseet) but to compare these averages would provide little insight as the teams with more youth not playing would be far lower than the teams with less youth or with more youth in their best 22 actually playing games.

It's a difficult exercise but i'm happy to show my records to anyone who wants to try and prepare a comparison with other recent rebuilds if they have the itme.
Something I may attempt once my masters is finito

I think it's pretty telling that FBI's graph (which is awesome BTW) shows a clear trend of us losing more games at a similar rate that the number of youth in the team increased.

Time is the biggest factor affecting our club's success. And we can't speed it up too much ourselves unfortunately.
I can say I was there when we ruled and again when we were toilet - the wheel turns.....

1556085923859.png

GAME 71 Rnd 5 2019 - WIN vs Western Bulldogs (101-57)
16 Youth Players
Coaches Votes: 10 Harrison McKay, 7 Patrick Cripps, 7 Sam Petrevski-Seton, 4 Zac Fisher, 1 Lachie Plowman

Youth - AFL Player Ratings (+/- change)

Patrick Cripps – 550 (-2)
Nic Newman - 311 (+3)
Lachie Plowman - 288 (0)
Zac Fisher – 311 (+11)
Jacob Weitering - 284 (-1)
Sam Petrevski-Seton – 292 (+17)
Mitch McGovern - 207 (+1)
Paddy Dow – 207 (+9)
Caleb Marchbank - 161 (0)
Harry McKay - 178 (+22)
Lochie O'Brien - 79 (+3)
Cameron Polson - 69 (+2)
Sam Walsh - 59 (+15)
Michael Gibbons - 28.6 (+11)

Average: 213

WHAT A WIN!

What the fork? How did the average player ratings drop from last week??!

Edit: I assume Charlie going out made the difference. Doh.
Charlie out (minus 310 or so) Polson in (plus a mere 69) and yet the boys managed to alsmot make up that 240 point difference, falling only about 50 short.

Huge games from Fisher, SPS, McKay, Dow, Walsh and Gibbons on the stats.

Charlie out (minus 310 or so) Polson in (plus a mere 69) and yet the boys managed to alsmot make up that 240 point difference, falling only about 50 short.

Huge games from Fisher, SPS, McKay, Dow, Walsh and Gibbons on the stats.

Also Setterfield getting suspended helped keep the average high.

Walsh, McKay, Dow, SPS and Fisher are pushing the mean along quite well.

View attachment 661023

GAME 71 Rnd 5 2019 - WIN vs Western Bulldogs (101-57)
16 Youth Players
Coaches Votes: 10 Harrison McKay, 7 Patrick Cripps, 7 Sam Petrevski-Seton, 4 Zac Fisher, 1 Lachie Plowman

Youth - AFL Player Ratings (+/- change)

Patrick Cripps – 550 (-2)
Nic Newman - 311 (+3)
Lachie Plowman - 288 (0)
Zac Fisher – 311 (+11)
Jacob Weitering - 284 (-1)
Sam Petrevski-Seton – 292 (+17)
Mitch McGovern - 207 (+1)
Paddy Dow – 207 (+9)
Caleb Marchbank - 161 (0)
Harry McKay - 178 (+22)
Lochie O'Brien - 79 (+3)
Cameron Polson - 69 (+2)
Sam Walsh - 59 (+15)
Michael Gibbons - 28.6 (+11)

Average: 213

WHAT A WIN!
Cripps down 2? Pretty sure he stayed at the same position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back