Toast Beyond the Border – MCG to Adelaide Oval – Mental Health Awareness (A Hawk Board members campaign to raise money and awareness)

This is the story of one of our fellow Hawthorn Board posters and his efforts to raise awareness and funds for Beyond Blue. That poster is Milang_Panthers (Jordan) and he’ll be embarking on June 18th to run from the MCG to Adelaide Oval. That’s 726km or the equivalent of approximately 13 marathons in 13 days.

I would love it if some of you champion Hawk Board members would follow his journey and of course any contribution to his cause would be greatly appreciated. Even just some words of encouragement in this thread will mean so much.

Even better, if you live in the western part of Victoria, you may be able to jog along for a time with Jordan. Keep him company, have a chat, enjoy a jog (even a small one). Some support for the hard yards over those 13 days would be invaluable.

JORDAN'S STORY

From the outside looking in I am your average 26 yr old, happily married with two beautiful sons. I’m currently studying, working and enjoy playing many sports with friends on weekends. My greatest passion is running, I started in 2015 with a few fun runs which then turned into marathons, any chance possible I would be out running.

But on the inside it was a different story… Running soon became a chore, I would find any excuse to stay indoors and not do anything. I’d lost interest in the things I used to enjoy and wasn’t myself anymore. I knew something wasn’t right and it wasn’t just the nagging wife telling me to get off the couch. As everyone does, I consulted Dr Google, this lead me to Beyond Blue.

I completed the anxiety and depression checklist, which scored me high risk but as with all Dr Google consults I thought it can’t be as bad as that. After becoming more withdrawn from life and no longer resembling my old self, I went back to the Beyond Blue website and browsed through the many resources. Finally I admitted I needed help and booked an appointment with my GP. I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression, and am currently getting treatment. I’m not going to lie it’s bloody hard, there are still bad days and there is a long road ahead.

So I came up with this crazy idea (and even more crazy – my wife agreed!) I will run 726km from the MCG to my beloved Adelaide Oval. Along the way I aim to raise $10,000 but more importantly much needed awareness. Without Beyond Blue I wouldn’t have realised that what I was thinking and feeling was not normal, and I definitely wouldn’t have reached out for help. I feel I owe my life to Beyond Blue and I hope sharing my personal story will help others reach out for help and start their journey to better mental health.

Please show your support by donating to Beyond Blue, thanks

Beyond Blue campaign page

Beyond the Border Facebook page

Newspaper article

It's ok not to be ok.
It's ok to ask "R U OK?"
It's ok to ask for help.

If you or anyone you know needs some help, the Beyond Blue website can be found here: BEYOND BLUE WEBSITE and the hotline is 1300224636

groobs.png

btb.jpg
mcgao.png

Last edited:
Great Effort Milang_Panthers and thanks for posting it up MinerBoy - I'll donate when funds become available next payday ! Is the club involved in any way? Sponsorship?

Great Effort Milang_Panthers and thanks for posting it up MinerBoy - I'll donate when funds become available next payday ! Is the club involved in any way? Sponsorship?

Great stuff mate. I know that Jordan's own footy club is donating the full proceeds of this week's raffle but I'm not sure on the HFC. Jordan would have to answer that.

With Jeff's affiliation with BB it would be great if they could have some involvement so if anyone with HFC contacts would like to draw the Beyond the Border campaign to their attention that would be great.

Sep 15, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Canberra Raiders,Crystal Palace F.C
Cheers for the thread MinerBoy.
Any support is much appreciated whether you can donate or not just spreading the word that it's ok to talk about mental health is what we are hoping to do with this event.
I will keep the thread updated with how we are progressing etc. Cheers guys :thumbsu:

Purrfect Pussies

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Hope you don't mind me sneaking in here Gents. Well done Miner Boy on setting up this thread. As a Wimmera local l'm looking forward to sharing a few kms with Jordan along the way and offering support where l can. A few days on the highway together l'm sure we'll reminisce about the good old Hawks Cats rivalry. ;)

Sep 15, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Canberra Raiders,Crystal Palace F.C
Forgot to mention Hawthorn Footy Club has donated a guernsey to be auctioned/raffled off for the cause, so thank you to the footy club for that. I will post details about that in here when it goes live. :thumbsu:
Don't hesitate to donate guys even if it is small every little bit counts. Cheers :D

Good luck Milang_Panthers and what an amazing cause. I'll try and keep the 30th free and venture over to Adelaide Oval with my Hawks geurnsey on so you can see some friendly colours

Back