Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
I know the logistics would be difficult but GF at the G unless it’s a derby WC v Freo , Swans v GWS , Lions v Suns or Port v Crows would be a good compromise

Might be doable if they move the finals bye to after the prelims
Yep, they are the only scenarios where it logically makes sense to move from the G.

All other arguments have obvious flaws

Rotation - you do it at small venues where the likelihood is that you keep fans away. Fans in Sydney aren't going to get access to tickets to an Eagles v Essendon GF at the SCG, all that does is mean less Eagles and Essendon members will get a ticket.

Highest ranked team - the fixture itself is compromised, and finals matchups don't take "rankings" into account. The current finals system completely disregards HA rankings after week 1. Look at the PFs coming up. Dees are the minor premier, they play 3rd from H&A whilst Port (2nd) get to play 5th from H&A...what advantage do the Dees get? Winner of 1v3 should be playing for the right to host the GF if we're awarding it based on merit.

Best solution (hopefully AFL gets there with next expansion) is conferences. Vic & National, let Vic final be at the G, National final can be rotated. Then have a system that determines where the play-off rights go based on merit.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
I think the 100,000 argument is kind of bs. It's only an advantage to Victorians, it stills costs the rest of us fans an arm and a leg to get over there if we were lucky enough. 60,000 or what ever is still a very solid crowd. Moving it around gives a lot more fans access to the game despite being a smaller crowd. I'd rather pay a 30% mark up on ticket prices in my state so the AFL gets the same revenue for the game. I've enjoyed the last couple of years of it being at different venues, I think it should rotate or at least be at the home teams ground. Such a shame it's locked into the MCG for so long.
The grand final in Melbourne is great for Melbournians for sure, but its also the 2nd best option for the Sydney and Adelaide based teams. Moving it around only decreases the access to the game for Supporters of the competing clubs - and if its not in Perth will still cost you an arm and a leg.

The only people it costs an arm and a leg for is West Australians. The price of travel is completely reasonable for the 22 Million people that live on this side of the Nullabor.

Nov 20, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
The biggest problem would be getting sufficient staff at short notice for everything. There are hundreds of chefs required for the MCG on grand final day, then bar staff, wait staff in the corporate areas, security, merchandise sellers, cleaners, etc. Then there's pregame, halftime and post-game entertainment, and corporate events. Imagine trying to book a big name band and saying we need you on this date, but we won't be sure where until a week beforehand. Then you have the halftime stuff. So, you'd have to have it set up in every city early. The earlier, the better.
Is 4 weeks enough time?

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Is 4 weeks enough time?

I'm not sure. I mean, they've announced the grand finals this year and last year 8 weeks and 5 weeks before the date, respectively. But these are during Corona times, and I'm not sure these grand finals include the whole package, per se. I assume that post-Covid, there'll be more that goes into the preparation for these games and, therefore, more money lost if they change the venue 5 weeks out.

But if I'm wrong about all of this, theoretically, they could wait until the end of the H&A season and award it to the highest-ranked team, but I think they have to have the venue locked in by then. I don't think it's possible to change the venue at the last minute for a derby or showdown GF two weeks out from the game. It'd be better to rotate it around the five cities until Hobart, Canberra, and Darwin enter the equation in 20-30 years.

I'm not sure. I mean, they've announced the grand finals this year and last year 8 weeks and 5 weeks before the date, respectively. But these are during Corona times, and I'm not sure these grand finals include the whole package, per se. I assume that post-Covid, there'll be more that goes into the preparation for these games and, therefore, more money lost if they change the venue 5 weeks out.

But if I'm wrong about all of this, theoretically, they could wait until the end of the H&A season and award it to the highest-ranked team, but I think they have to have the venue locked in by then. I don't think it's possible to change the venue at the last minute for a derby or showdown GF two weeks out from the game. It'd be better to rotate it around the five cities until Hobart, Canberra, and Darwin enter the equation in 20-30 years.

How much time did they have to prepare for the grand final replay?

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Why do you keep jumping off topic, I couldn't give a rats if the VFL were broke, so was the WAFL when West Coast joined.

The point was people jumping from one league they loved, to a league they hated, broke or not, being broke makes it funnier, they may have seen the VFL collapse, but they jumped ship and helped the VFL revive.

Anyway, lets get back to the point you made a few pages ago about the BIG BAD VICS and what they say about South Australians.

The truth is, they don't say it about all South Australians, they say it about the ones like you.

If the VFL didnt get that 8 million from West coast and Brisbane back in 1986, there would be no VFL/AFL.

I just laugh at Gil and his cronies at all this....

Fighting passionately to the end to have the grand final at the MCG. lol

Let it go for one year Victoria.

Gabba had the grand final in 2020, it was ok.

Perth Stadium gets to hold it in 2021, Lets give WA a chance for once. It might not happen again in their life time.

Perth stadium shape wise looks like the MCG from an outside view.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

Just like the A-league. I loved it. I am an Adelaide united fan. 50,119 rocked up in that Adelaide united vs Western Sydney grand final in 2016. I was one of them.

Is good having Grand finals in various stadiums

Come back when you have a 100,000 seat stadium that you can fill every year for it.

Or, by the way, a stadium that can take those numbers you’re listing for the big games. Because right now Richmond have 100k members, Collingwood have around that, Carlton have 80k.

The benefits of having a huge supporter base for the code in Melbourne.
Yeah, what a shame it would be if the tens of thousands of MCC members didn't get to attend. A bunch of rich, entitled yuppies certainly makes for a better atmosphere than a stadium packed out with footy fanatics, for who, attendance is almost a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, rather than a yearly reality. Can't help but weep for the rich Victorian dickheads like Eddie McGuire that got locked out of the Grand Final. Life just isn't fair sometimes, eh?

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
If the VFL didnt get that 8 million from West coast and Brisbane back in 1986, there would be no VFL/AFL.

I just laugh at Gil and his cronies at all this....

Fighting passionately to the end to have the grand final at the MCG. lol

Let it go for one year Victoria.

Gabba had the grand final in 2020, it was ok.

Perth Stadium gets to hold it in 2021, Lets give WA a chance for once. It might not happen again in their life time.

Perth stadium shape wise looks like the MCG from an outside view.
LMAO
Can you please explain what you are on about?

Do you think I am upset about the GF not being at the MCG? If so, I think you have read the table very badly, If you aren't too lazy, go check my post history, you will see I am all for it moving around.

What I laugh at is, the contact is until 2058 and until that changes, that's how it is going to be, and no amount of crying on this site will change that, yet every year, we have 4 or 5 or more of these types of threads, with people like you crying their eyes out.

And you may laugh at Gil and cry Vic bias, but Gil is a South Australian, go figure.

Show any person with no connection to Australia pictures of the MCG, Adelaide Oval, and Optus Stadium. Guarantee the vast majority won't consider the MCG the best of those stadiums where important sporting events should be showcased.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
LMAO
Can you please explain what you are on about?

Do you think I am upset about the GF not being at the MCG? If so, I think you have read the table very badly, If you aren't too lazy, go check my post history, you will see I am all for it moving around.

What I laugh at is, the contact is until 2058 and until that changes, that's how it is going to be, and no amount of crying on this site will change that, yet every year, we have 4 or 5 or more of these types of threads, with people like you crying their eyes out.

And you may laugh at Gil and cry Vic bias, but Gil is a South Australian, go figure.
You are victorian. you have been brainwashed that the grand final has to be in Victoria every year.

I am happy for once with something different. A grand final in Perth stadium will be a nice sight to see.

Dont get me wrong grand final day at the MCG is a wonderful event. But let the WA people savour the moment for once, they wont get this chance again in their life times. I am keen to see it.

Not this old chestnut.
So if they didn't get that cash they just stop looking for a solution, give up and fold the comp, and we would all be watching socka?
Might as well watch soccer or basketball, its exciting and they havent butchered their respective sports like the AFL in the last 20-25 years changing the rules every 2 weeks. lol

Are you happy with the Grand final not being in Victoria?

I dont mind it.

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
You are victorian. you have been brainwashed that the grand final has to be in Victoria every year.

I am happy for once with something different. A grand final in Perth stadium will be a nice sight to see.

Dont get me wrong grand final day at the MCG is a wonderful event. But let the WA people savour the moment for once, they wont get this chance again in their life times. I am keen to see it.

Might as well watch soccer or basketball, its exciting and they havent butchered their respective sports like the AFL in the last 20-25 years changing the rules every 2 weeks. lol

Are you happy with the Grand final not being in Victoria?

I dont mind it.
OMG, seriously mate, are you the full quid, did you even read my post?

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How much time did they have to prepare for the grand final replay?

Good point.

I'd need to be in that position and consult with all the people who can give me their expert input and weigh up the pros and cons.

Ideally, the venue is based on who's playing.

Option 1, highest-ranked team PF winner, plays home GF at MCG, SCG, Optus, AO, or Gabba.
Option 2, neutral venue.

But honestly, I'd prefer rigid fairness - share it around and lock it in. Freo v WCE at Gabba? So be it. They've got to trim the corporates, though.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
legit question for the non-vic supporters: Are you willing to have the GA tickets cost $350-400+?

One of the main arguments for the G hosting every year, is that it can hold over 100K, so it can get the most supporters there. Perth holds 60k, adelaide 54k, the scg 48k and the gabba 42k. At $200 GA ticket prices, thats anywhere from 8-12 million dollars in revenue lost from ticket sales alone. And thats generous, considering a large number of seats lost will be reserved, corporate etc seats which can cost thousands. Not to mention the (scam) guaranteed gf ticket packages the clubs sell which would have to be significantly reduced to compensate for the fact they might have less than half the seats they previously had to sell. The revenue shortfall could be 20 million plus.

Some people have tried to argue that locking the game to the MCG is financially negligent (ihmo a highly flawed argument but thats a different story). Surely creating a 10-20 million dollar per year reduction in revenue would be worse? That could very well mean the death of 1-2 clubs, no way an tassie team is let in, and a significant reduction in grass roots funding. And for what? It's not like the afl need to grow the game in WA or SA, and sydney-siders wont care once they've taken their selfie in the stand.

So again, are you willing to pay $350-400+ (even closer to 500 for the smaller grounds) for general admission tickets, to have the game in your state?

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
legit question for the non-vic supporters: Are you willing to have the GA tickets cost $350-400+?

One of the main arguments for the G hosting every year, is that it can hold over 100K, so it can get the most supporters there. Perth holds 60k, adelaide 54k, the scg 48k and the gabba 42k. At $200 GA ticket prices, thats anywhere from 8-12 million dollars in revenue lost from ticket sales alone. And thats generous, considering a large number of seats lost will be reserved, corporate etc seats which can cost thousands. Not to mention the (scam) guaranteed gf ticket packages the clubs sell which would have to be significantly reduced to compensate for the fact they might have less than half the seats they previously had to sell. The revenue shortfall could be 20 million plus.

Some people have tried to argue that locking the game to the MCG is financially negligent (ihmo a highly flawed argument but thats a different story). Surely creating a 10-20 million dollar per year reduction in revenue would be worse? That could very well mean the death of 1-2 clubs, no way an tassie team is let in, and a significant reduction in grass roots funding. And for what? It's not like the afl need to grow the game in WA or SA, and sydney-siders wont care once they've taken their selfie in the stand.

So again, are you willing to pay $350-400+ (even closer to 500 for the smaller grounds) for general admission tickets, to have the game in your state?

No hesistation.... Yes I would, especially if my Team freo was in the Grand final.

There have been 17 Grand Finals played between a Victorian team and an interstate team since 1990 (at the MCG, not including 1991).

Sides from outside Vic have won 8.

So basically half.

It's literally 50/50 statistically. Is there really an unfair advantage if the result is a coin toss over 30 years?
I think trying to use results to justify the lack of advantage just overcomplicates the issue. If you played West Coast in Perth in a Grand Final, would you view the location as an advantage? What about Port or the Crows at Adelaide Oval?

It's an advantage. Doesn't mean it will decide the game, but there really is no reasonable counter-argument to the fact that is an advantage.

How about we lay a patch of MCG turf at Optus at great expense when the AFL is financially struggling because we're total dumb campaigners.
That was actually one of the most cringeworthy things done in the history of the AFL. Imagine not having a clue what the AFL was and reading that, you'd be pissing yourself laughing at the absurdity of that 'symbolic' act.

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

Im sure most of us would prefer to pay $400 for a trip to the footy instead of spending $4000 to get over to Melbourne to watch it

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If you were going to have a pre-GF bye and move the GF for the derby, showdown, QClash, or Battle of the Bridge, would the Suns-Brissy game be at the Gabba and the Sydney-GWS game be at the SCG?

If the Suns or Giants finished higher than their rivals, would they feel disadvantaged for playing their rivals home grounds? Swans-GWS is solved by having it at ANZ, but what do you do about QLD? Let the Suns decide to move or keep it if they finish higher?

It's certainly cheaper than travelling to Melbourne to watch a Grand Final. I'd be far more inclined to consider paying that for tickets, than I would needing to worry about every other expense to get there.

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
Totally agree with the opening post in this thread. Even as a Victorian the Grand Final MCG deal feels like a total 20th century anachronism. Laughable they've actually extended the deal to whichever distant year the contract lasts to now because of the last two switched GFs.

There are so many better ways it could be arranged. One idea is that whichever side finished top gets rewarded with the GF being held at their home ground/state, regardless of whether they make it or not. Provides an extra incentive to achieving that which has been severely diluted in recent decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back