BF ages and years of support

Remove this Banner Ad

Old. Saw my first game at Vic Park in 1968 as a young girl. Was at the 1970 GF, and still remember how devastated I felt. Was at the drawn GF in 2010, fell down stairs at the MCG (was not drinking!), broke my foot, and went back to see us win GF2 in a moon boot! But the most cherished win in my lifetime would still have to be the 1990 flag. For those of us who lived through the humiliating years of the 60s, 70s and 80s, it was the big one. The Pies were tough in those days, and Vic Park was a cauldron. Loved it!
Yep, still haven't seen or experienced anything that comes close to the emotion of 1990. After all those years of disappointment when I was starting to wonder if I would ever get to see the flag flying over Vic Park. I still remember the collywobbles burial very fondly afterwards. My only regret is that I didn't jump straight in the car and head down to the ground. From all reports the scenes in Collingwood and the city were just amazing. Through the seventies and eighties I couldn't afford to go to the footy often so I used to go to the G about half time when they opened the gates and I watched a lot of second halves that way including a couple of grand finals. Great days.

Yep, still haven't seen or experienced anything that comes close to the emotion of 1990. After all those years of disappointment when I was starting to wonder if I would ever get to see the flag flying over Vic Park. I still remember the collywobbles burial very fondly afterwards. My only regret is that I didn't jump straight in the car and head down to the ground. From all reports the scenes in Collingwood and the city were just amazing. Through the seventies and eighties I couldn't afford to go to the footy often so I used to go to the G about half time when they opened the gates and I watched a lot of second halves that way including a couple of grand finals. Great days.

50. Lifelong, rabid pies family.

1990 was definately the one. I walked to the ground through Collingwood that night on a bit of a pubcrawl. The sense of celebration has never been matched for mine.

I loved Vic Park. Its absolute feral crowd, sea of eskies and whatever. Hilarious crowd commentary, all terribly incorrect.

I'm 59 and was born in Abbortsford, practically a torp kick from our heartland Victoria Park. Born into a family of Pies supporters with a dad that bled black and white. Never known anything but Collingwood and could not concieve barracking for another club.

First match was an adventure with dad, travelling down to the then wilds of sleepy hollow to support our beloved Carringbush in the winter of 1964.

Im 43. I was born into a Collingwood clan (on my Dads side at least) My first real memories were the wooden spoon in 1976, then the climb to the GF in 1977. I was at the GF's in 79, 80 and 81. Heartbreaking losses. 1990 was incredible. Like others, I cried like a baby. That Sunday at Victoria Park after we won was fantastic. The place was packed and I was able to speak with Pants, Banksy and a few others and share a beer. I don't think that sort of thing will ever happen again.

Am 68, and 69 later this month. Supporter since 1957. Thus 56 years. Lived in Victorian country town. Still have clear memories of my mother knitting a pies beanie, wearing it proudly for the first time to a local footy match where to my horror found out the opposition from another town were Magpies and my mates destroyed my beanie. Sob!!
Moved to Melbourne, went to all 1970s and 1980 Grand Finals breaking my heart. Moved to Qld in 1981 and vowed I wouldn't go back to see a GF until we'd won at least 2. So we did but didn't go to 2011. Sorry!! Obviously my jinx effect has reversed. Next one I will come down and cross my digits as to which way my jinx is working.
After 1990 GF I sat in my chair and cried. Not so 2010 as I felt so confident beforehand.
Go Pies.

33. Was a tigers supporter until the age of 5 due to my nickname being tiger. Rest of my family was collingwood. Dad strategically took me to the G to see the Tigers get flogged each time and converted me successfully to the Pies.
I have probably averaged 15 pies games a year since, with a lot of childhood memories being crammed in the Vic Park outer and being queued in the car park at VFL Park. I was too young to get a 1990 GF ticket but I have been to every final in Victoria since. Spent my entire secondary school and Uni days not seeing a winning final. My daughters are pies fans and love the MCG even though they are 1 and 3.

33. Was a tigers supporter until the age of 5 due to my nickname being tiger. Rest of my family was collingwood. Dad strategically took me to the G to see the Tigers get flogged each time and converted me successfully to the Pies.
I have probably averaged 15 pies games a year since, with a lot of childhood memories being crammed in the Vic Park outer and being queued in the car park at VFL Park. I was too young to get a 1990 GF ticket but I have been to every final in Victoria since. Spent my entire secondary school and Uni days not seeing a winning final. My daughters are pies fans and love the MCG even though they are 1 and 3.
Glad you saw the light '09:thumbsu: I spent my first quarter of a century supporting the Pies without a flag :(

I will turn 50 in 2020 and by that time I hope to have seen more than 2 flags.

Expanding on my earlier post...I am 42 and have followed the Pies for as long as I can remember. I have been a social club member for 15 years. My Dad and his Father were Collingwood so I had little say in the matter. One of my earliest memories was the night GF against North when they won after the siren. I had gone to bed thinking that we had won until Dad woke me up to break the news. I was at both the 1990 and 2010 wins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Expanding on my earlier post...I am 42 and have followed the Pies for as long as I can remember. I have been a social club member for 15 years. My Dad and his Father were Collingwood so I had little say in the matter. One of my earliest memories was the night GF against North when they won after the siren. I had gone to bed thinking that we had won until Dad woke me up to break the news. I was at both the 1990 and 2010 wins.
jmac I too remember that travesty of a GF and still shudder to think on it :oops::confused:

The VFL/AFL have always done their best to rob us.
Well we are THE ENEMY jmac, you can't destroy all opposition for 4 consecutive years and dominate a competition for a decade and a bit without causing envy and resentment.

For those of you younger supporters the line "the premiership's a cake-walk" is no empty boast - for our great club in the '30's it was just so.

I'm 33 and a pies fan since I was 5 due to the fact my parents are from the UK and not really being into footy

I was 10 years old and sick on the couch in 1990. I do think I made up do it in 2010 though... I couldn't get a ticket for the first game and watched it with some fellow bf supporters. Got a ticket to the next week though and told my boss if we won I wouldn't be at work on the Monday. Ended up drinking beers in the middle of Vic park Saturday night. Smashed beers at the grace darling the next day with a group of random supporters until they closed. The only place that would let in 10 drunk magpie fans with jumpers etc turned out to be a gay bar on Brunswick st but we ended up practically owning that place. At 3am that place closed and we kicked on at that 24 hour bar on Nicholson st.

That Sunday night after we won, with 10 other pies fans who most I had never met but spent most of the night singing the club song, talking about footy and just basking in the ecstasy of winning together made it one of the best nights of my life... That and seeing my brother kiss two lesbians

I was at that game, I am still angry and have been known to still yell CHEATS at North games; my husband thinks I need to get over it...he just doesn't understand!

Kerry Good. Arrghh!!! I still remember saying to my old man, "but the siren went"!! Shattering for a 10 year old. Funny thing is, although the result will never change, I don't think there is anybody who has ever questioned that the bloody siren went. They all just laugh:(

Kerry Good. Arrghh!!! I still remember saying to my old man, "but the siren went"!! Shattering for a 10 year old. Funny thing is, although the result will never change, I don't think there is anybody who has ever questioned that the bloody siren went. They all just laugh:(
Lol Pedro if it had been Carlton or Melbourne it happened to the rules would have been changed instantly. Its only funny if it happens to the Pies.

Never mind the jealousy and hate only make me barrack harder - so it has always been and so it will be.

We are the black and white army, we are THE ENEMY, we are the hated - AND WE LOVE IT!!!

CARNA PIES!!!

I'm 33 and a pies fan since I was 5 due to the fact my parents are from the UK and not really being into footy

I was 10 years old and sick on the couch in 1990. I do think I made up do it in 2010 though... I couldn't get a ticket for the first game and watched it with some fellow bf supporters. Got a ticket to the next week though and told my boss if we won I wouldn't be at work on the Monday. Ended up drinking beers in the middle of Vic park Saturday night. Smashed beers at the grace darling the next day with a group of random supporters until they closed. The only place that would let in 10 drunk magpie fans with jumpers etc turned out to be a gay bar on Brunswick st but we ended up practically owning that place. At 3am that place closed and we kicked on at that 24 hour bar on Nicholson st.

That Sunday night after we won, with 10 other pies fans who most I had never met but spent most of the night singing the club song, talking about footy and just basking in the ecstasy of winning together made it one of the best nights of my life... That and seeing my brother kiss two lesbians

So you were one of the people partying at Vic Park after the 2010 GF win? I had some involvement with the ground at the time, and I warned the City of Yarra they had better keep an eye on the place, if we won! Don't think you did any harm, though. I live near the Grace Darling, and kept away that night, drinking too much champagne at home! But conversely, I went to the hotel after our 2002 and 2003 GF losses (shudder), and found solace and consolation with a whole lot of Pies fans, who seemed drawn to the place. In the comfort of strangers!

29, In 1990 we must have had about 15-20 family and friends at our house and I clearly remember wondering why all these people were in tears as we had won, the fact they were tears of joy was lost on me(6 years old) but it soon turned to joy and the celebrations went way into the night, apparently I asked my uncle if we could do this again every year.

I didn't actually go to a footy game til around 94/95 it was against Freo at Victoria Park, I will always remember the first time I saw Victoria Park I thought it's black and white the whole ground is black and white how amazing is this, all these women selling headbands and badges it felt like the Melbourne show but just for Collingwood supporters. Then once we got in there was that overwhelming feeling of belonging, being surrounded by all these other people that all followed the pies it was incredible and to this day one of the best moments of my life.

I'm 25 and been supporting the Pies since I was old enough to know what footy was really. Step Dad was a Pies supporter and Mum was Bombers so I was glad I was influenced that touch more by the Step Dad.

I obviously missed quite a large chunk of our glory years but to me my favorite period was getting to watch the excitement of Medhurst, Didak, Neon and the hardness of Burnsy. At the time I wasn't that big on Buckley, but as I've matured I've really started to gather how good he actually was.

So you were one of the people partying at Vic Park after the 2010 GF win? I had some involvement with the ground at the time, and I warned the City of Yarra they had better keep an eye on the place, if we won! Don't think you did any harm, though. I live near the Grace Darling, and kept away that night, drinking too much champagne at home! But conversely, I went to the hotel after our 2002 and 2003 GF losses (shudder), and found solace and consolation with a whole lot of Pies fans, who seemed drawn to the place. In the comfort of strangers!
The only harm we did to Victoria Park that night was putting her through many drunken and off key renditions of good old collingwood forever.

It has made me happy thinking back to that weekend this morning. It was just ridiculous. Hugging strangers... Singing... At one stage we were on a tram from aami park after the player presentation and the entire tram sang at the top of our voices "when the pies go marching in" which I am glad no saints fan had to witness

26 and a supporter since 92.

Shamefully I was a tiger for a very brief period prior to that until the old mans ultimatum of "You can barrack for Richmond, that's fine, but you'll only get to go to two games a year. Collingwood at home and Collingwood away." What footy mad kid could say no to that.

My earliest memory is of Sav Rocca's first 10 goal haul which of course came against the Tigers in 93! I think that was the day that I was won over completely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back