BF Crime Books and Documentaries

Remove this Banner Ad

Killing Pablo-by Mark Bowden
Fascinating read on the hunt for Pablo Escobar, the worlds greatest ever billionaire drug lord and murderer of 30 judges & 457 policeman.

Highly recommended and cheap as chips on amazon at the moment. Ten bucks is a steal :thumbsu:

http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Pablo-Mark-Bowden/dp/B005ZOET44

Without doubt the most powerful piece of cinema I have ever, ever seen is 'Zachary: a letter to a son about his father'.

Watch with your significant other and wait for tears. They will come.

* me they came.Girlfriend lost her s**t

That was like watching a very slow train crash.

Thanks for the recommendation(I think):)

Someone Else's Daughter byJulia Sheppard, about the Anita Cobby murder is a good read.

Really engrossed in it Oct. Have almost finished, am up to the trial.

Just loving the detail this book gives about the events leading up to the fateful night. The descriptions of the crowds that were constantly outside baying for blood are amazing stuff.

Geoffrey Robertson's books are outstanding.

The Tyrannicide Brief is a must for all English history buffs, The Justice Game is great for someone with an interest in the practice of law (I got a personally signed copy from my girlfriend last birthday - best present ever!) and Crimes Against Humanity is fascinating for someone with an interest in the development human rights and international criminal law.

Just finished reading " At The Devils Table" by Jorge Salcedo, great read about the inner workings of the Cali drug cartel from Columbia. Found it at allbooks4less for $5.

http://www.amazon.com/At-Devils-Table-Insider-Brought/dp/1400068371.

Love true crime books must have about 60 in the book shelf, other than sporting Biographies, i only read true crime.

Picked it up from the library today and am a few chapters in.

God they were a bunch of sick ****s. Sex with animals, going around raping women on trains and in pool halls and being "proud of it", other violence... and yeah like i said only up to chapter 4!!!! :eek:

Is the book holding up?
Really keen to get my hands on this one and anything on Paul Denyer.

Is the book holding up?
Really keen to get my hands on this one and anything on Paul Denyer.

Oh yeah I finished within a few days of starting it.

Great read- lots of detail, background on both the Cobby's and the perpetrators, and of course the investigation and the court case.

I love books like these, that focus on the one case, rather than those "anthologies". Pointless books those, never enough detail and just skim over the surface.

Have a few:

Recently finished "When the Bough Breaks" (sad title hey), on Kathleen Folbigg and the killing of her four young children over a long period of time. Didnt think this was the best book written- i put it down numerous times and took me a while to pick it back up. The case is obviously heartbreaking but i didnt think it went into the court case in enough detail. They actually spend more time exploring the difference between SIDs and other methods babies may or may not die. The extracts from her diary were very interesting reading tho.

One I have from the library which is definitely awesome so far- read 8 chapters in one go, will be finishing this quite soon i think- "Snowtown" by Jeremy Pudney. So many people involved in this case, its hard to keep track of them sometimes! There is like a "family tree" at the front of the book which is a good idea. I have seen the movie a couple of times, so will be interested to see what the book is like.

The cycle of child sexual abuse is evident early in the book. That Bunting tho is a real nutjob.

And also got an anthology (yeah dont normally get these) which looks interesting, called "Cold Cases". Self explanatory title- will probably just flick thru this one, not read it cover to cover.

My deepest, sincerest apologies if this post was too emotional for anyone. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Killing Pablo-by Mark Bowden
Fascinating read on the hunt for Pablo Escobar, the worlds greatest ever billionaire drug lord and murderer of 30 judges & 457 policeman.

Highly recommended and cheap as chips on amazon at the moment. Ten bucks is a steal :thumbsu:

http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Pablo-Mark-Bowden/dp/B005ZOET44
That book is worth paying the Amazon Aussie mark up price.
http://didyouknowarchive.com/?p=1170
Don't mess with Uncle Sam!
Another good one worth buying is this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Columbine-Dave-Cullen/dp/0446546925
Once I get through the Intro, I couldn't put it down.
Definitely a good read if you're not clued up on all the theories and BS about what happened.

That book is worth paying the Amazon Aussie mark up price.
http://didyouknowarchive.com/?p=1170
Don't mess with Uncle Sam!
Another good one worth buying is this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Columbine-Dave-Cullen/dp/0446546925
Once I get through the Intro, I couldn't put it down.
Definitely a good read if you're not clued up on all the theories and BS about what happened.
Dave Cullen in his Columbine book goes against eye witness testimony, ballistics and general evidence to present his story, which has been ravaged by both the victims families and people who were there that day. If you want to read a fairytale book about the shooting then I suggest reading his book.

Another interesting read:

9781741787283.jpg

A few of the older posters on here will remember this case and the controversial figure Dennis Tanner.

Also by the same author:

9781742114590.jpg

The Falconio disappearance is also a cracking read, although I should add that the author isn't afraid of injecting her own opinions and her views certainly aren't in line with those of the general public.

Mate if you let facts get in the way of a good read,how have you lasted on BF for so long?
OH and since you brought up up fairy tales the best one I have read lately was
something along the lines of this.
http://www.upstart.net.au/2013/03/19/afl-2013-team-preview-west-coast/
Calm down, it's just if I want to read a book about Columbine I would want to read something factually accurate!

You should check out No Easy Answers, written by a friend of one of the shooters involved. It provides a scary insight into the years leading up to, and the aftermath, of the tragedy.

I remember seeing this trailer and thinking WTF? The whole premise just seemed so bizarre. How was it?

Can't believe there's been no mention of Truman Capote's masterpiece, In Cold Blood

It was a great watch. Really holds your attention the entire time. Is it the whole truth and nothing but the truth? Towards the end I think there was some embellishment and conspiracy thrown in, but it never detracted from the story. Well worth the watch.

I remember seeing this trailer and thinking WTF? The whole premise just seemed so bizarre. How was it?

Can't believe there's been no mention of Truman Capote's masterpiece, In Cold Blood
In Cold Blood is great. Thought I'd dip in after hearing Safran babble on about true crime for so long. Just about finished with the audiobook. Not suprised to read that there were rumours about Capote and Perry's relationship, he clearly goes out of his way to humanise the monster.

Just a few others that I have on the shelf I thought were pretty good and worth a look:

Pretty embarrassing to admit, but I haven't read In Cold Blood, but it's pretty high on my hit list:(

Reminds though I should throw in Dostoyevsky's Crime & Punishment. A heavy read but well worth the pay off. S

American Tabloid by James Ellroy is one I've been hanging on for ages and have just started. Also have several others of his that I'll get around to one of these days.

No Angel by Jay Dobyns -First (probably last) FBI agent to be patched by the Hells Angels that explores his infiltration and the subsequent identity crisis which all deep cover agents seem to experience.
Hells Angels by Hunter S Thompson is another rollicking read which isn't particularly genre related but needs a mention because everybody needs a little Hunter in their diet.

Just finished reading Enforcer, the autobiography of former Comanchero & Bandidos bikie Caeser Campbell.

Amongst other things it covers in detail the splitting of the Comancheros and the Milpera Massacre.

This book is a must read for anyone with even a passing interest in outlaw bikers, and in particular the Milpera Massacre.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back