Opinion BF Doggies Boost membership with brains ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

ThirdLegUp

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
OK

David brought up a concern about memberships if we keep losing and so on. It is a valid concern, but i have actually been quite annoyed at the bulldogs membership drives for quite a few years.

The way I see it, you have

The Rabid Dogs : a core group of members who will buy a membership regardless, they simply have to, or they suffer sever physiological trauma...worse then most already are taking medication for.

Then you have several smaller groups.

Stray Dogs : The, members who will or won't buy based upon their financial situation year to year, regardless of whether we are winning or losing. If they have the funds, they find a reason to buy, because they are like the core group, but are not mentally inclined to ignore financial situation. If they find a home or safe place to settle down for a bit and not worry on a day to day basis, they will buy in.

Lost Dogs : These are the dogs that will or won't buy depending on whether we are winning or losing. If we are losing, they don't feel like the club deserves their money, if we are winning, they wish to parade their membership like a badge of honour.

Distant Dogs : These are the dogs who are a long way from the kennel to ever watch a game, or even possibly sniff another dogs bum in comrade ire. They buy memberships to belong, and feel like part of the pack, even if they can't run with it in the K9 home turf.

Disorientated Dogs : This is the Vast majority of bulldogs, these are possibly twice, thrice, or cockatrice the number of all other groups put together, but have perhaps never been members, perhaps never will be members, but support the dogs with more then a passing interest, they proclaim it to the world if need be...but they run outside the pack. These are the dogs that need to be brought into the fold, these are the dogs who came out when we were in strife 20 years ago, only to vanish when the situation blew over.

Disillusioned Dogs : A sub sector of the Disoriented Dogs. This is what happens when you become convinced, (after years and decades of being a bulldogs supporter) that the team might never win a flag one day and that the other teams will always be better/richer/stronger/more ruthless. (Libba39)

So how do we as a club fix this. And i am not opening this to debate the coach or players or any such rubbish, this thread i hope, can feed of the intelligence that i know is here at BF. Then someone with lovely writing skill, AKA, not me. can give the information to the club, and let them act upon it.

I think Hawthorn had the right idea several year ago when they got folk to buy cheap memberships for their dogs and cats and birds, whatever. We have this too, but there needs to be more then just. Top of the line membership, 2nd best membership, 22 game membership. 11 game membership. no game membership. (i know it isn't accurate but you get my drift) and lets be honest, the price of life goes ever higher, as do memberships. AS things get worse, we may find even Rabid dogs becoming Stray dogs, and one might argue once your cured from the rabies, no guarantee they will catch the fever again.

I am currently in the situation where i simply cannot get to games unless a freak event takes place, i buy memberships for my whole family, a home game membership for my self and wife, in case that freak event happens, and 3 or 4 no game memberships for mum & dad, sisters (i think 1 of my sisters bought her own this year though, not sure, but was desperate to keep them dogs, and not hawks or blues, like their hubbies)

Perhaps some thoughts from way out of left field, to catch 10% -20% maybe 30% of those Disorientated Dogs. Like 1$ a week, 1$ a fortnight, 1$ a month membership. It is no different to a no game membership, but IT IS. It is so cheap that it wouldn't be noticed, and as a reward, you receive the newsletter (by email, if not pamphlet) and a card. They feel like members, and the price is tiny to feel good about yourself.

Football clubs try to get these folk in, and I'll tell you, most in the Dis Dogs could afford a membership quite easily... they just don't support enough to warrant parting with $50 or $100 in money. If you could advertise DIRECTLY to these folk, you would get some of them, they wouldn't have to hand over a large amount of money, and the dogs would have extra money they never would have had otherwise. Is it a massive financial gain, no, not per person, but i am off the opinion that even 10% of that unpaying bulldog crowd is massive. and would add up to a considerable amount directly to the club.

Let rip with your opinions on what i have said, an please give your own, or even a category of Dog that i haven't thought off. I'll add it to the list. Some healthy, positive and possibly beneficial debate would be a very welcome thing for all dogs on BF right now.

Cheers

For me it was a bit of a journey, I was a disoriented dog for probably the first 12 years, if anyone asked who I followed I would say Footscray, gave money when they needed it during fightback.
Then as I began to follow the game a bit more seriously, I became a stray dog, (uni student, one income kids etc), then when I did finally sign up and become a member - I became a a bit of a lost dog, only bought the basic membership, didn't turn up to that many games for the first couple of years.

Finally, as my boys got older we became rabid dogs, and upgraded the membership, first to cheer squad than to reserved seats, then to social club reserved seats.

When the boys move out we will upgrade the memberships again, as it will be just the two of us, although I suspect I will continue to buy one membership for one of the boys, the other son is not that interested...or is it just the cycle starting all over again.

Agree, we should have done more when we were in all those prelims. Sign up members for 3-5 yr blocks with a discount and some other privileges. I'm sure some people would have jumped at that when we were successful. Probably not as many now but wouldn't hurt trying.

We should be proactive with Merchandise as well. Look at the Storm with the Superman jumper, that was awesome.

Agree, we should have done more when we were in all those prelims. Sign up members for 3-5 yr blocks with a discount and some other privileges. I'm sure some people would have jumped at that when we were successful. Probably not as many now but wouldn't hurt trying.

We should be proactive with Merchandise as well. Look at the Storm with the Superman jumper, that was awesome.

See recently i heard a club was giving a discount on membership if you purchased next years now, ahead of time or something like that, cannot remember which club for the life of me, a voice whispers Melbourne, but i could be well off. See that is proactive as you say. Another thing is, you don't see stores advertising their most expensive stock do you, it's always the specials or cheapest -entrance item - "Become a member of the bulldog breed for as little as 4$ a month" or what ever.

You know how they'd get my membership dollars? By offering a pack for live streams of the VFL teams and all NAB cup games with live stats. I go to as many games as I can and sponsored a player this year. I also perennially give away my bulldogs scarf if I meet fledging supporters (an irish bloke I met actually cried on saturday night when I gave it to him) and buy a new one to support the club but living in NSW there has to be some incentive or something they can offer. Maybe they could even bulk buy hotel rooms and plane tickets and sell them to interstate members at cost price to encourage people to sign up for a membership. I want to go down to the game on Sunday but it's pretty hard to get a decent hotel in melbourne (4* +) for under 200 a night at this kind of notice, and if the club could make a buck off the room or give me a good deal with Crown (where they stay anyway, and have a relationship) I'd be far more inclined. Basically use the benefits of their corporate account to help interstate members attend games and make a buck in the process (Crown/Airlines might even pay them for referrals and who knows if it's successful we might get a pretty rich sponsor). This is what'd sign me up, and if I could get subsidised airfares and accommodation as an interstate member and make the club some money buy booking through certain companies I already like that'd get my money. In fact I'd be happy to pay $200 a year for it if they can provide it to me in discounts as I spend far more getting to each game than that.

I don't think there can be any single strategy for getting new members on board. I am a 'rabid dog' who will buy my membership no matter what. There's just no question for me, so I've been trying to think of what would make my Dad buy one. He's 60 and goes to the odd game but has never been a member. I guess he falls into the 'disorientated dog' category, but I feel a more precise term would be the 'disillusioned dog'. This is what happens when you become convinced, (after years and decades of being a bulldogs supporter) that the team might never win a flag one day and that the other teams will always be better/richer/stronger/more ruthless. To be honest the only way you get someone like Dad to buy a membership is to play tough, uncompromising footy and win a flag. This would dispel the myth that we are perennial losers once and for all. Easier said than done...of course.

As for the other 'floaters' out there here are some broad suggestions:

- Ditch the Heartland campaign (and it's successors). Yes, we represent the West and there is a certain 'underdog' marketability that goes hand in hand with the Western suburbs. However I think it's a fallacy that because people are living in the west that they are more likely to support the Bulldogs and buy a membership. For all we know there could be more Collingwood members in Sunshine than Dogs members? Basically I think it might work from a business or sponsorship perspective but I just don't see how this type of campaign translates to memberships (maybe someone can enlighten me?).

- Recruit or develop an iconic or marquee player. Once again easier said than done but it's no coincidence that our record memberships came at the time when we had Aker and Barry Hall. Yes we were winning games but those two players gave fans belief, turned kids from mere watchers into fanatics, and got us more media coverage than we've ever had. My friends were Carlton supporters and their son decided to go for the Saints because of Nick Riewoldt - enough said!

- Create a stronger and individual profile for the club and it's supporters. Pies fans are fanatical, Bombers are educated, Blues are arrogant, and the Hawks are part of the family. What are we? The quiet ones? Seriously though, are we the underdogs, the battlers, the scrappers and the fighters? Terry Wallace coached the side to play like this and the fans jumped on board because we could associate with it. Macca is trying to create a new style of game which is 'uncompromising' and 'manly'. Is this a good fit?

- push continually for a more equitable draw. There's no doubt being a Collingwood or Essendon fan is more fun no matter whether you are winning or losing. You get lots of Friday night games, blockbusters and boutique games etc etc. Essentially as a supporter of these clubs you are getting more bang for your buck. What do dogs fans get? More home games against expansion clubs and interstate teams at 4.40 on Sunday and games in Darwin. Doesn't really compare does it??? How are we supposed to grow if we are already so far behind the 8-ball.

ok, they are the big ideas, here are the more gimmicky ones:

- Free hoops flags for all junior members next year!! What kid doesn't want a flag, and other than being something tangible for the kid the flag says 'i'm here' and creates a better atmosphere around the stadium. We might be outnumbered in terms of people but perhaps flags can give us more presence.

- create some marketable membership groups rather than the usual silver and bronze etc. Get creative. The Footscray end at Etihad gave us a rallying point but perhaps it can be taken a step further. Create another section at Etihad called 'the pound' and sell seats to it. Put more work into creating supporter groups. Maybe this can be based around train lines etc. I say this because more often than not I go to the football on my own.

- game entertainment and prizes. Seriously if I hear any more that "if the bulldogs kick a goal between the fourth and 11th minute of the 2nd quarter that ladies scarves will be 25% off for 15 minutes", I'll dead set spew. A couple of years ago I went to a Hawks - Cats game and at half time the hawks fans held up HSBC signs to win a 5K bank account!!! Can we compete with that? Probably not. Can we do better than a discounted scarf? Certainly! The club just needs to get a bit more creative and original. Having a lame idea is almost worse than having none at all and only adds to the 'omg we are such a pathetic organisation' vibe...

- following on, perhaps we can use some razzle-dazzle before the game? The Pies have the 'Collingwooooood' chant, the Tigers have the best song, and we could really use something more than just a banner. Does the song need sprucing up? I love the line 'you can't beat the boys of the bulldog breed'. It's strong, confident, and could say more about us than just winning football games. What about a pre-game ritual? We have the "EJ rap" and video before the game but what about something more? Watch the openings of any Chicago Bulls games from the mid-90s and you'll get the idea. It still sends tingles up my spine just thinking about it.

- just for one week a year make it 'get to the game week' where we aim for 40K. Play the women's game before it, play the VFL, give out free tickets, do anything to get people in through the door!!! Call it 'Woof Week', 'Dog Training', the 'West Invasion'... I don't know, but give it a try. If fans (like my dad) only go to one game a year, it should be this one, and it should be like a party.

that's all for now...

Maybe rather then James Sherry to host our games, we get an old face of the club.
Not sure on who.

I don't have a great deal of ideas, but I'll think on it.

I'm a rabid dog, and I blame my dad for it :p unfortunately for us we didn't get the solid membership base that Richmond, collingwood, the big clubs have, and so even in our prelim years we weren't that well supported. We're always going to be one of those smaller clubs.

Things that would help are as follows though:

- Obviously improved on field performances, but we can't do much about this right now.

- Iconic player. Dahlhaus helped with this but has stagnated. Griffen while being an elite player isn't like Ablett, Buddy etc. guys that will bring people through the gates.

- Get a big name coach, like Roos or similar.

- The main one, ask the fans what THEY want. We've started down this path, with the hoops and the VFL name, but go further. Ask what they want for membership packs and similar things like this.

I want to say well done on the club for increasing its media presence, I think this is one of the reasons why we almost managed to break 30k in a horrible year.

'disillusioned dog'. This is what happens when you become convinced, (after years and decades of being a bulldogs supporter) that the team might never win a flag one day and that the other teams will always be better/richer/stronger/more ruthless.
Great post Libba39, you can feel the frustration in the post, many a dog can relate to it. Great ideas too. also the above quote was added to the list.

I just think there is not much 'excitement' happening at the club at the moment. Whilst we have good young kids playing for us and developing well - none of them are really playing exciting footy that are going to get butts on seats every game and memberships going berserk. Not sitting here saying members should only join if we are going alright or making excuses for those who never sign up - but just understanding their reasons for not doing so. Our gamestyle isn't overly exciting either - just seems as if, as fans, we are just getting through games every week - knowing we are not going to win - waiting for round 23 to be over so we can focus on the draft again. Whilst heaps of us fans sign up (like myself) and are already excited about watching Stringer, Libba, Macrae etc develop and play every game - there's just not that excitement about them as there is for an O'Meara or Daniher that gets fans to games - maybe for Stringer for his debut - but he hasn't set the world on fire (not that I expected him to in his first year, but just saying that excitement is dying down). We don't really have any 'BIG' well known coaches in our coaching box with Macca and we play crap games at Etihad with a disappointing schedule.
- Imagine we go into 2014 next year with a Tom Boyd on our list and maybe an experienced assistant like Roos/Worsfold. Would make a hell of a difference to our membership base/support. We need to get someone like Boyd - not just to build our forward line but to attract interest for our club.

I agree with that, Doggiesmrx, but even without these big names, the club could be doing a fair bit more to attract attention.
I know the club and fans are most likely just happy slinking through the shadows till seasons end, but we really don't put enough effort to attract positive media attention when we are winning either. The big clubs have young talent that somehow attracts all the attention in the world of off 1 or 2 games. Because they are constantly in everyone's face. Stringer could kick 8 tomorrow and other then a 5 minute mention the media would forget about us pretty quick in favour of Collingwood or Carlton. Perhaps the club should get out there when these things happen. Talia played a ripper against GWS, got Rising star nomination on the back of some solid consecutive performances. Send the kid out to the footy show, thur, sun. Get him interviews on the radio.

Sure the media will ask questions about how we are traveling. It doesn't take much to train them up to answer such questions with a positive attitude. Explain what is happening at the club. Ultimately you are not trying to sell anything to anyone other then Bulldog supporters. What you are doing is giving Doggies the country over something to be positive about, a reason to refocus their attention on the club. And hopefully, become members, even if only the 1$ a week members i spoke of earlier. That is still 1$ a week the club would not have received.

Does it put pressure on the players and coach, sure, but if the club is confident of where we are going and what we are doing, then that added pressure shouldn't matter. But fearing the pressure, it not only gets us no 'air' time. It also says that we are unsure of ourselves and would rather stay hidden. Very demoralizing for all bulldogs, member or not. It is inward negativity. Outward positivity is really whats needed.

I think you missed a category - Lazy/Capitalist Dog.

I think I fit into that category. have been a Member since 96 with a lapse of 1 or 2 years in the Rhode Era that happened to coincide with having kids and no chance (or desire due to performance) to attend

Have been on the Bulldog for life auto renewal scheme since inception and the money for a full family membership just gets taken out each month. When Barry Hall took a contested mark 45 out and goaled with his first touch in the NAB Grand Final, I upgraded my membership to Social Club.

I have never attended any of the Social Club Function or game day drinks, etc and only upgraded to get guaranteed access to Finals. To be honest I have been meaning to cancel it for the last couple of years, but have been either too lazy or too late to do it in time before the start of the new season, then it just seems unfair to squib on the club.

As far as reducing churn and keeping membership levels up, I think getting people onto these auto renewal monthly payment plans should be primary objective, starting with the basics and then tempting them with upgrade option.

With kids sporting commitments on weekends, I just don't have time to get to games and if I wasn't on the auto renewal I probably would just let my Membership lapse as I have only been to about 4 homes games in the last 3 years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SUPERMAN_IMAGE_TEE_WB_400X4001.jpg

I think you missed a category - Lazy/Capitalist Dog.
In the interest of being merciful we will just say you went from Rabid dog to a stray dog, who perhaps felt a little lost for 2 years, then got re-infected :p . But totally agree, the monthly, don't think about it scheme, start from bare minimum, work your way up, just works.

Anyone see the last membership figure? It's still rising. Now sits at 29,994.

Someone with a bit of coin go buy the last 6 memberships to get us to 30K!

Lost Dogs : These are the dogs that will or won't buy depending on whether we are winning or losing. If we are losing, they don't feel like the club deserves their money, if we are winning, they wish to parade their membership like a badge of honor
Sounds like the majority of St Kilda fans. You don't hear from them bandwagon riding f*ckwits when they are losing in fact you wouldn't even know who they are. They all come out of the woodwork when their winning, though. Can't shut the scum up when their good.

I think one problem is the lack of members from the international communities in the west. If we could get some players from Africa, SE Asia and the Middle East then the communities in the west might take an interest. I think many of the foreign born kids look at the AFL, see almost no one who represents them and then turn to other sports when if we could give them someone to look up to we could have a bunch of new Rabid Dogs.

I guess the trade off would be that we might have to use rookie picks on players who are unlikely to end up in the main 22 and the rookies have been some of our better picks in the past.

Great post Libba 39 (don't let that scare you :)). I too am a rabid Bulldog - born, bred & still living in the west. Spent many a day on the windswept tundra that is the Western/Whitten Oval and have my dad's 1954 season ticket (that he used to get into the GF) and went through the fightback in 1989.

But enough romanticising what were really tough times in the past & a few comments on some of your points:

- Ditch the Heartland campaign (and it's successors). I agree that as more young families have moved into the west, they bring with them their traditional family hand me down AFL team following & will not necessarily be Bulldog supporters. HOWEVER, I do see these people as having the 'Bullies' as their 'second side' which is a good thing even though they may never be members. It gives us a protection over another 1989 - the powers that be would get such a backlash from these people (as well as ourselves) if they were to relocate, merge or ditch us. We NEED TO REMAIN the exclusive club of the West even if the residents of the west aren't exclusively Bulldog supporters. The AFL need a club in the West, so we need to identify our club as that club & not have anyone else (Geelong? Collingwood - the working class club) encroach on that territory.

- Recruit or develop an iconic or marquee player. Aren't they trying to do that with Dalhaus & the youngsters? The club will probably promote a cult figure for all supporters (and not just the kids) in the future when the youngsters develop - with a Libba or someone.

- Create a stronger and individual profile for the club and it's supporters. ... we the underdogs, the battlers, the scrappers and the fighters?... I agree - I like this perception of us from the outside - garners a certain respect; I think some ppl don't like it because it can also give the impression that we aren't really strong or talented, just tenacious. It's a tough one, but I can ID with being a fighter, no matter what. And yes, we are the quiet ones so not everyone can relate to being a fighter no matter what.

- push continually for a more equitable draw. No brainer - agree.

ok, they are the big ideas, here are the more gimmicky ones:

- Free hoops flags for all junior members next year!! I dunno what a 'hoop' flag is, but it sounds good. I wanted some of those bulldog ears the junior supporters got with their memberships last year, but they ran out!!!! Ya can't even buy them. What about some sort of cheap plastic box thing that when the kids press the button it goes "woof woof woof" - imagine a whole heap of those going off after a goal!!! You could even get it downloaded onto people's smart phones to play after each goal (but I prefer the cheap plastic red white & blue 'bark box' for the kids to press with a recorded 'woof woof woof' to play after each goal)

- create some marketable membership groups rather than the usual silver and bronze etc. Get creative. Great idea and get a bloody Social Club OUTSIDE of the Etihad!!!! The one there is only for home games and more often than not you can't get more than one drink after the game due to the staff wanting to go home for the day (which is fair enough, but give us somewhere to congregate like we used to at the WO for Pete's sake!) What happened to Edgewater? They've gone quiet on that. All there is now is an overgrown paddock with a cyclone fence around it - it's been like that for 2 or 3 years now.

- game entertainment and prizes. Having a lame idea is almost worse than having none at all and only adds to the 'omg we are such a pathetic organisation' vibe... All I can add is, please, don't encourage them!

- following on, perhaps we can use some razzle-dazzle before the game? Noooooooo! No 'Doggettes' or whatever they were called - lol! Why did they change the lyrics of our song to "Bulldogs fight & Bulldogs roar"????? Bulldogs don't roar, they bark and the supporters certainly don't roar - we're lucky to get a whimper out of most of 'em. Change the lyric to "Bulldogs bite and Bulldogs fight", not 'roar'. It would be great to have any sort of match before the main game, but it's not gonna happen (ground condition blah blah)

- just for one week a year make it 'get to the game week' where we aim for 40K. Play the women's game before it, play the VFL, give out free tickets, do anything to get people in through the door!!! Call it 'Woof Week', 'Dog Training', the 'West Invasion'... I don't know, but give it a try. If fans (like my dad) only go to one game a year, it should be this one, and it should be like a party. I like the sentiment, but if the first home game doesn't garner this outpouring of hope and support, I don't know what will - maybe they should do what you suggest for all the first home games of the season; try & get the numbers up for one game of the year & that game being the first home game. People might get caught up in the hoopla & buy a membership (before they see we've lost our first 3 games by 30 points & decide to give it a miss this year, lol!)

I'm a Bulldogs supporter who has lived most of his life in the eastern suburbs and I think that even though the club is based in Footscray which is west of the city we should be trying to go for supporters from all over and not just from the heartland of the club. I've heard that clubs like Collingwood and Hawthorn have a bit of presence in the west so there is no reason why we couldn't to the same kind of thing outside of the west. What are people's thoughts?

I'm a Bulldogs supporter who has lived most of his life in the eastern suburbs and I think that even though the club is based in Footscray which is west of the city we should be trying to go for supporters from all over and not just from the heartland of the club. I've heard that clubs like Collingwood and Hawthorn have a bit of presence in the west so there is no reason why we couldn't to the same kind of thing outside of the west. What are people's thoughts?

See my other comments above. Also, we need to remain identified as a club of the West to attract first generation Australians who live here - otherwise they will simply go and follow a club that is successful & not one they can identify with as being the one that they share their new home with (I hope this makes sense)

I was a rabid dog and used to go to all home and away games for many years but have changed to an entertainment dog and look for entertainment value. I have been a member for forty years and will continue to buy a membership with reserved seats but this year I have only been to three games.

I know it is sad but last year changed my outlook on footy and it also reflects on the number of supporters that don't attend games in my reserved seat area.

Its not about wining I have been Dogs member for to long to only expect wins, it is about how we play and currently it is not encouraging.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back