Resource BF History Board Research Team – Newspapers.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Would anyone be interested in pooling together for a joint BF account for Newspapers.com? Specifically the Fairfax archive? I was having a play around with a free trial last night and it seems fairly nifty, particularly in regards to the post-1954 stuff. Obviously we have the free Google News Archive for the Age and SMH up until 1989, but that is practically unsearchable, hence you have to know what you're looking for. Not only is Newspapers.com better archived, but it goes up to 2000 as well!

The only prohibitive factor for me is the price; ~$28 AUD a month isn't really justifiable for me if I'm only using it a few times a week (you have to get the 'Publisher Extra' subscription for the post-54 stuff). Buying a half-year subscription up front is more reasonable at $105 AUD (works out to be around $17.50 AUD per month) but I still think as a collective we would find the most value in sharing a subscription.

I propose we all pay a fraction to a central, specific PayPal account and then the money is debited from that, and all paying members get access to the username and password. I don't believe there are any technical limitations that would stop us from doing this.

Thoughts? 35Daicos , the croucher , killer , rbartlett , WhiteHartLane23 , Connor7395 , GreyCrow , Supermercado , Oliver Gigacz , RedmanWasHere , ThePope , and any other regular historians I've missed

Would anyone be interested in pooling together for a joint BF account for Newspapers.com? Specifically the Fairfax archive? I was having a play around with a free trial last night and it seems fairly nifty, particularly in regards to the post-1954 stuff. Obviously we have the free Google News Archive for the Age and SMH up until 1989, but that is practically unsearchable, hence you have to know what you're looking for. Not only is Newspapers.com better archived, but it goes up to 2000 as well!

The only prohibitive factor for me is the price; ~$28 AUD a month isn't really justifiable for me if I'm only using it a few times a week (you have to get the 'Publisher Extra' subscription for the post-54 stuff). Buying a half-year subscription up front is more reasonable at $105 AUD (works out to be around $17.50 AUD per month) but I still think as a collective we would find the most value in sharing a subscription.

I propose we all pay a fraction to a central, specific PayPal account and then the money is debited from that, and all paying members get access to the username and password. I don't believe there are any technical limitations that would stop us from doing this.

Thoughts? 35Daicos , the croucher , killer , rbartlett , WhiteHartLane23 , Connor7395 , GreyCrow , Supermercado , Oliver Gigacz , RedmanWasHere , ThePope , and any other regular historians I've missed

Would be in for this. Have used it in the past but lack of AU papers means I can't justify paying full price again unless I'm specifically working on something from the 1990s.

I'd be happy to be a part of this as well. I've never checked it out, but I'm sure we'd get enough use out of it for it to more than pay it's way. Are you really sure it's not against the rules for an account to have multiple users (all using the one u/n & p/w)?

I'd be happy to be a part of this as well. I've never checked it out, but I'm sure we'd get enough use out of it for it to more than pay it's way. Are you really sure it's not against the rules for an account to have multiple users (all using the one u/n & p/w)?

Genuinely sure. I've read through the entire T's & C's (which are more Ancestry-based rather than specifically for Newspapers anyway), and there's nothing about multiple users or accounts. I would have to test being logged in on two machines at the same time but apart from that there is no legal roadblock. I'm sure it's not exactly encouraged, but it's not prohibited either.

Admirable idea for shared research purposes. I suspect it won't be possible due to Newspapers.com being a site under Ancestry banner, and as per this similar question answered in recent years:
https://support.ancestry.com/s/question/0D51500001vbvHCCAY/family-account

we wouldn't be able to use it in the way hoped for - each account is signed up by a unique email address
rather than user-name & password system.

Admirable idea for shared research purposes. I suspect it won't be possible due to Newspapers.com being a site under Ancestry banner, and as per this similar question answered in recent years:
https://support.ancestry.com/s/question/0D51500001vbvHCCAY/family-account

we wouldn't be able to use it in the way hoped for - each account is signed up by a unique email address
rather than user-name & password system.

They've set me a challenge then! Might have to create a BF History board gmail account. Will keep everyone posted.

More than happy to be apart of this, just let me know what you need from me.

If it's a joined Gmail account, count me in.

One thing though.

I may use the account for family research purposes predominately.
giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No dramas at all - there's some crossover of course but I'm far more stats board than history board!

Thanks to the 8 people who have indicated interest in being part of this joint account (I am including you the croucher as it seems you are interested).

I've made good headway on the set-up and will now continue the conversation via private message. Cheers.

Hello all. A spot has opened up for access to this account. It'll cost you $11.70 for six months of access. I found it to be extremely worthwhile, even after just a few uses.

Is anyone keen? Thanks.

Hello all. A spot has opened up for access to this account. It'll cost you $11.70 for six months of access. I found it to be extremely worthwhile, even after just a few uses.

Is anyone keen? Thanks.
If there is a spot open I'm keen to have a look

Remove this Banner Ad

Back