BFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hodgson was a really good appointment from the outside. I'm surprised he hasn't been able to get oandm players having a crwck at vfl as melton south as their second club. It's not going to be a 1 year build, they have to have 3-5 year plan to play finals. I don't think they needed 4 guys to play a one off for the club. Maybe 2 will sign for the remainder of the year which will be good, but if none switch I don't see the point of it
Hey Trent, I don’t think having VFL aligned players is the way forward unless you’re a 1 point local or they know someone and are really keen to come across. It serves little purpose especially as south are struggling a bit and trying to rebuild.
It’s not going to be easy..

Agree about the league scheduling being poor. I think there are heap of occasions when Darley and Marsh are both home or both away. I’ll take your word for it about the 2 Melton sides.
How do you suppose the league helps South rebuild? That’s not their job, it’s the clubs job.
Could fixture things better.
Could offer some assistance as I believe the only assistance they provided was to give them an additional 10k in the salary cap..

Otherwise they probably need to bite the bullet and move competitions. What does that mean for Ballarat league footy?? Could it spell trouble in that other clubs also look at moving in coming years??
It’s an interesting one!!

Hey Trent, I don’t think having VFL aligned players is the way forward unless you’re a 1 point local or they know someone and are really keen to come across. It serves little purpose especially as south are struggling a bit and trying to rebuild.
It’s not going to be easy..
Yep but you might get them for 4 games one season, 5 or 6 the next, then they might come full time turbs and they've dropped a couple of points in that process

Could fixture things better.
Could offer some assistance as I believe the only assistance they provided was to give them an additional 10k in the salary cap..

Otherwise they probably need to bite the bullet and move competitions. What does that mean for Ballarat league footy?? Could it spell trouble in that other clubs also look at moving in coming years??
It’s an interesting one!!
South leaving would even up the draw and make it possible for a 10 team comp where everyone plays each other twice. Not sure of cap implications though, would need to be lifted. In the past and at the moment the draw is comprised because whoever gets South twice gets an automatic 8 premiership points, and 20 to 40 percentage points

South leaving would even up the draw and make it possible for a 10 team comp where everyone plays each other twice. Not sure of cap implications though, would need to be lifted. In the past and at the moment the draw is comprised because whoever gets South twice gets an automatic 8 premiership points, and 20 to 40 percentage points
Makes sense maybe why the league doesn’t assist. South MUST focus on improvement over the season and look to get 4-5 homegrown boys who go well to return next year, along with another few recruits.

Looking at things longer term will Bacchus stay in the league? A move might suit them as well. However I know they are a good club and would probably stay but can they compete long term with Nth Ballarat, Sunbury, East Point, Melton etc… Darley very strong, successful club but struggling at 19s level so how are they situated long term?? Bewley, Myers, Wright keeping them strong and all homegrowns so good recruiting platform along with Jordan as coach.

With Kyeton moving being a success will it pay the way for other committees to explore options.

Anyway it’s just a conversation flow boys. Don’t rip my head off.. 😄

Last edited:
Makes sense maybe why the league doesn’t assist. Looking at things longer term will Bacchus stay in the league? A move might suit them as well.

With Kyeton moving being a success will it pay the way for other committees to explore options.

Cannot see any scenario where Bacchus leaves any time soon. They have a strong group of 18-20 year olds aswell as a strong under 17 senior team.

No clubs will be leaving or joining the league for the foreseeable future.

As posted earlier, if South were gonna leave for the RDFL or WRFL they would of done it by now.

There’s been talk of Gisborne joining the league for over 15 years. I’ll believe it when I see it. As far as any CHFL clubs moving to the BFL, Buninyong is the only club who could even come close to joining.

Makes sense maybe why the league doesn’t assist. South MUST focus on improvement over the season and look to get 4-5 homegrown boys who go well to return next year, along with another few recruits.

Looking at things longer term will Bacchus stay in the league? A move might suit them as well. However I know they are a good club and would probably stay but can they compete long term with Nth Ballarat, Sunbury, East Point, Melton etc… Darley very strong, successful club but struggling at 19s level so how are they situated long term?? Bewley, Myers, Wright keeping them strong and all homegrowns so good recruiting platform along with Jordan as coach.

Anyway it’s just a conversation flow boys. Don’t rip my head off.. 😄
I'd be very surprised if Marsh chose to look elsewhere.
They've historically been a Ballarat club & while they're rebuilding atm, they've won a flag & played off in another Grand Final within the last decade so there's little doubt around their capacity to compete.
They've got some talented young guys coming through so they should see the benefit in seasons ahead if nurtured correctly, which I have little doubt they will.
I'd be surprised if anyone were to depart but there does seem to be more noise about Gisborne than I can recall at least.
A benefit if they did make the move would be in getting rid of the bye & creating greater parity between East & West.
We'll see though..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back