BFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder why that’s is??

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Izaac Grant back to home club Hepburn

J.Giampaolo head coaching gig at Newlyn where his brother plays now.
Liam Hoy following him out there. Both into their 30s and great servants of Redan

Dunstan travelling upto Corowa with his brother, who Corowa probably threw the kitchen sink at.

Doubt there was any malice or bitterness in any of those departures.

Izaac Grant back to home club Hepburn

J.Giampaolo head coaching gig at Newlyn where his brother plays now.
Liam Hoy following him out there. Both into their 30s and great servants of Redan

Dunstan travelling upto Corowa with his brother, who Corowa probably threw the kitchen sink at.

Doubt there was any malice or bitterness in any of those departures.
Well said.
I thought the Giampaolos may wind up back at Horsham but they, along with Hoy, have been great for Redan so doubt anyone begrudges them for moving onto other things.
Tbh It wouldn't surprise if Nath Dunstan & Grant return at some point.

Spose I’ll have a stab at predicting the ladder. Struggling to get motivated to follow the BFL this year tbh.

Don’t have a lot to go on after probably the quietest & less publicised off season I can remember.

Melton
Darley
North City
East Point
Sunbury
Sebastopol
——————
Bacchus Marsh
Redan
Ballarat
Melton South
Lake Wendouree

To each their own but I can see this season being reasonably even, with each of the projected finalists capable of knocking eachother off on their day. The same can't really be said for a lot of other comps.
With some quality coaches in the comp, I like that clubs are largely developing from within.

I know they're coming from a long way back but it'll be good to see a more competitive Melton South.

I reckon comp up the top end may have evened up a touch. Darley and North will remain fairly similar with what they have had. Can see improvement out of East (extra year in their already strong juniors), melton have a few returning to already strong side (they were just as good as north and darley most the season) Bacchus added 4-5 and had an improving list, Ballarat added 5-6 with a extra year in there kids. Unsure on Sunbury, have seen a few (brand being one) have left. Redan will be young and probably balanced losses and gains. Lakers will improve with a young list and south will be a lot more competive. Think Sebas will drop back a little, haven’t gained and will need best team on park. Still in mix. Three tiers.

Melton
North
Darley
————
East
Sunbury
Ballarat
Sebas
Marsh
———-
Redan
Lakers
South

. Think Sebas will drop back a little, haven’t gained and will need best team on park. Still in mix.

Sebas are an interesting one, lost 5 senior players & only replaced one of those (the ruckman from Mildura).

Juniors look to be in a strong position and have plenty of young guns coming through.

B.Hutt, Medwell, R.O’Keefe, Bambury & Hill look to be the next core group, with guys like Lockyer, Kiel, Cassidey, Dummett getting to the back end of their careers.

With Keeble & Papst going home, they need to find 45 goals from somewhere though

Sebas are an interesting one, lost 5 senior players & only replaced one of those (the ruckman from Mildura).

Juniors look to be in a strong position and have plenty of young guns coming through.

B.Hutt, Medwell, R.O’Keefe, Bambury & Hill look to be the next core group, with guys like Lockyer, Kiel, Cassidey, Dummett getting to the back end of their careers.

With Keeble & Papst going home, they need to find 45 goals from somewhere though
Fair summation and tend to agree with you. Supposedly an “easy fixture” this season but I predict a small step back to 5th or 6th. (Can hope for finals upsets though!)

Burra’s best footy can beat anyone on the day (except bloody Melton!). Several games where they don’t convert chances and kick 7.15 or similar and end up losing, tend to hinder them.

I reckon comp up the top end may have evened up a touch. Darley and North will remain fairly similar with what they have had. Can see improvement out of East (extra year in their already strong juniors), melton have a few returning to already strong side (they were just as good as north and darley most the season) Bacchus added 4-5 and had an improving list, Ballarat added 5-6 with a extra year in there kids. Unsure on Sunbury, have seen a few (brand being one) have left. Redan will be young and probably balanced losses and gains. Lakers will improve with a young list and south will be a lot more competive. Think Sebas will drop back a little, haven’t gained and will need best team on park. Still in mix. Three tiers.

Melton
North
Darley
————
East
Sunbury
Ballarat
Sebas
Marsh
———-
Redan
Lakers
South
Fair groupings id say. Darley will be the same, not sure they have the improvement that North and Melton look to have in them. Lost more than gained. A fit Brady Wright is key. But they do still have the best player in country Vic and also one of the best coaches
Melton would be favs for mine. If Marsh get some early wins and get a bit of momentum going they could have a big say come year end. But need some luck with injuries and availability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe Darley gone up a cog. South same old rubbish
I think unless this league assists the clubs at the bottom end then it’s highly possible at least 3 sides will consider leaving in the next few years. Why do the lower clubs not have more points to allow them to recruit a couple more to be more competitive? Yes it’s a great competition but it looks like the same top teams again this season. I think that unless this league opens its eyes it could disappear under them quickly.

I think unless this league assists the clubs at the bottom end then it’s highly possible at least 3 sides will consider leaving in the next few years. Why do the lower clubs not have more points to allow them to recruit a couple more to be more competitive? Yes it’s a great competition but it looks like the same top teams again this season. I think that unless this league opens its eyes it could disappear under them quickly.
A bit melodramatic Turbo, I suspect your allegiance to South is informing your opinion.
At least 3 teams? C'mon..
Darley were on the bottom only a couple of years ago & most teams have had to rebuild at some point or another.
Even working within the existing points limitations, South would be able to be much more competitive if they could lure their former players back from the Bloods, Riddell League etc.

Didn’t South & Sebas get extra points when the system points first came in ?

Melton South aside, I think all things considered, the past 15 years the comp has been pretty even. 10/11 of the clubs have played in the grand final atleast once. And have all had their peaks and troughs rebuilding and challenging for a flag.

Look at the Ovens & Murray league, only 4 clubs have played in the GF the past 15 years.

I could see South going. I think the other teams are doing fine. Lakers Ballarat and the Marsh are really competitive and will all bounce at some stage. Cant see any Ballarat based clubs wanting to move to the Central Highlands, backward step in my opinion. 10 team comp playing everyone twice would be great.

Didn’t South & Sebas get extra points when the system points first came in ?

Melton South aside, I think all things considered, the past 15 years the comp has been pretty even. 10/11 of the clubs have played in the grand final atleast once. And have all had their peaks and troughs rebuilding and challenging for a flag.

Look at the Ovens & Murray league, only 4 clubs have played in the GF the past 15 years.
Correct - Lakers & South also have a few extra points to play with now.

I could see South going. I think the other teams are doing fine. Lakers Ballarat and the Marsh are really competitive and will all bounce at some stage. Cant see any Ballarat based clubs wanting to move to the Central Highlands, backward step in my opinion. 10 team comp playing everyone twice would be great.
South could head to the riddell and thinking Lakers could explore there options. The Marsh are doing ok but could they also switch to Riddell as a point of difference to Darley? Just thinking out loud.
Also the 19s travelling is an issue with retaining juniors also!!

The move of Kyeton to the Riddell league was huge I thought.

A bit melodramatic Turbo, I suspect your allegiance to South is informing your opinion.
At least 3 teams? C'mon..
Darley were on the bottom only a couple of years ago & most teams have had to rebuild at some point or another.
Even working within the existing points limitations, South would be able to be much more competitive if they could lure their former players back from the Bloods, Riddell League etc.
I don’t disagree as getting them players to return would greatly help.

Darley getting Bewley back and then Myers was huge. Plus got a great coach. Probably up there with McGuane and Tudor as the best coaches I can think off. Getting Jordan was huge and very smart by Darley. I would assume his not cheap but a great investment..

South could head to the riddell and thinking Lakers could explore there options. The Marsh are doing ok but could they also switch to Riddell as a point of difference to Darley? Just thinking out loud.
Also the 19s travelling is an issue with retaining juniors also!!

The move of Kyeton to the Riddell league was huge I thought.

If South wanted to go to the Riddell League they would have done it already. And, not to sound disrespectful, but I don’t think South would fair too much better in the RDFL tbh, the way they currently are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back