BFL thread 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Love the concept, in theory by Buckenara, but the biggest difference between a VFL comp and the WAFL / SANFL is community support.
I just can't see teams like Calder, or even Bendigo, getting regular big crowds and subsequently community sponsorship. The VFL is fighting over 100 years of club history when comparing to the SANFL and WAFL.
I don't like posting without solutions, but believe the answer is to build all the major community levels to a standard where a player can go from Drouin to Hawthorn and Geelong (Ablett Snr) or North Ballarat to St Kilda (Lockett).

I see Darley have called the season to a halt. Probably sick of waiting for the league to make a decision.
I think that's what's happening at a lot of clubs. Hard to prepare for anything with so much uncertainty.
You plan for something with a date in mind and then it all changes. The on-off situation causes plenty of frustration for both clubs and supporters.

Last edited:
I read Melton south have resigned all their ex Port Melbourne blokes for 2021. Keen to see how they go playing full time in the BFL. Was worried they might of slipped through Souths hands due to covid

With Skontra stepping down, Brendan McCartney has been named as coach of North for the next 3 seasons.
A pretty good get for the club.

McCartney ran some sessions for coaches and junior coaches at Strathfieldsaye this season. Was really really impressed by his approach and genuine passion for coaching kids and in general. Great for North to have him on board

McCartney ran some sessions for coaches and junior coaches at Strathfieldsaye this season. Was really really impressed by his approach and genuine passion for coaching kids and in general. Great for North to have him on board
Very positive move by the club and good for the league. With all the sackings in the AFL at the minute there will be plenty of experienced coaches out there looking for a job.

Yep, I had a chat with someone that was until recently involved Strath and they had nothing but positive things to say.
Apparently he takes quite a holistic view towards a footy club in general which will hopefully aid in getting younger people to stick around.

Yep, I had a chat with someone that was until recently involved Strath and they had nothing but positive things to say.
Apparently he takes quite a holistic view towards a footy club in general which will hopefully aid in getting younger people to stick around.
Surprised there hasn't been more of a fuss on here about Josh Gibson joining the Swans this year Jet?

Fabulous pickup and intends playing most games according to my sources.

Surprised there hasn't been more of a fuss on here about Josh Gibson joining the Swans this year Jet?

Fabulous pickup and intends playing most games according to my sources.
A great get for the Swans, no doubt about it.
He may be a little long in the tooth but is still in good nick and will be able to impart some knowledge on the younger fellas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wonder if he has any recruits lined up
Just wondering how Sunbury are looking, heard a rumour that a number of the recruits they got for this season, may not be signing back on. Not sure why the reasoning, just something i was told.

How are/were Melton South looking in 2020 and for the following season, was there any recruits coming their way?
Were they going to improve?
Would they be better suited to a different league or shoukd they continue in the BFL

On SM-T355Y using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just wondering how Sunbury are looking, heard a rumour that a number of the recruits they got for this season, may not be signing back on. Not sure why the reasoning, just something i was told.

How are/were Melton South looking in 2020 and for the following season, was there any recruits coming their way?
Were they going to improve?
Would they be better suited to a different league or shoukd they continue in the BFL

On SM-T355Y using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sunbury will be strong again in 2021 with their recruits from 2020 staying on along with the majority of their playing list. The changes to footy in Sunbury may have some changes over time but I am sure the Lions will be ok.

Melton South are looking ok for 2021 and have resigned most of the 2020 list. They certainly have been a struggler for a while but haven’t heard anything about a move elsewhere. I dont think that is on the clubs radar at this time.

A great get for the Swans, no doubt about it.
He may be a little long in the tooth but is still in good nick and will be able to impart some knowledge on the younger fellas.

Agree Josh is a terrific get for the club and will certainly be of great value. His experience will be such a great help with the development of a young team. Now living locally will also help in having Josh be able to commit More time/ involvement in the club.

Jordan Lisle has retired from the VFL, any chance that he plays at Melton South given he was aligned with them previously?

Jordan Lisle has retired from the VFL, any chance that he plays at Melton South given he was aligned with them previously?
Signed today with Balwyn in the Eastern League.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back