Biased/incompetent media coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benji85

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Barrett has the biggest hard on for Port (and Joe Daniher) this year. And why does he always refer to everything as "we" when he writes the column? Hope he's blacklisted next year anyway, if he isn't already (have a feeling he might be).

Suprised he acknowledged JK, as backhanded as it was (Lyon was just as backhanded on Footy Classified)

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
He obviously doesn't rate NicNat, or thinks he is no longer on our list.
Also not rating Gov, Smitch or Shoo who are all also on the list.

Woutizmoo

Team Captain
Sep 6, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
LK vent here. every single 'doomsday' scenario on VFL 360 is eagles lose; therefore season over. this coming from every commentator on fox who pinned us as top 2

Bigs

All Australian
Sep 23, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
More Herald Sun BS... perfect goal? Shows 3 times he should have been pinged for running too far...

Hun BS.jpg

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep. Silly to call that bias. There's 10+ of those a game. The rule is basically 20-25m. It's one of the reasons I think they should just get rid of the bounce.
No way in hell!

That would make the game ridiculously stupid. The bounce is a skill, some players don't have the confidence and elect to pass when they don't need to, some players mess it up thus killing a forward drive, some players think they need to bounce every 10m and overdo it.

It also works somewhat like a shot clock in a players head, forcing the issue of disposal before an option is clear. The player assesses their options, who is around them, how long they have had it. It adds a nice pressure to situations that would get ruined if it was taken away.

kerrazy

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Hey guys. Was out with my mate last night. Bumped into Tom Sheridan. The biggest blockhead you will ever meet. Mate asked him how the wafl was treating him, he didn't like that so he followed him everywhere all night trying to find out who my friend was. Obviously didn't like the comment. Was real funny because he was at a kebab shop at the end of the night and my mate told him to * off coz he kept trying to talk to him and tried to give him s**t. Absolute s**t campaigner

Hey guys. Was out with my mate last night. Bumped into Tom Sheridan. The biggest blockhead you will ever meet. Mate asked him how the wafl was treating him, he didn't like that so he followed him everywhere all night trying to find out who my friend was. Obviously didn't like the comment. Was real funny because he was at a kebab shop at the end of the night and my mate told him to **** off coz he kept trying to talk to him and tried to give him s**t. Absolute s**t campaigner

Kebab shops and angry Dockers players don't usually mix well.

Aug 14, 2005
NoR
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
lakers, nufc, subi, colts
Hey guys. Was out with my mate last night. Bumped into Tom Sheridan. The biggest blockhead you will ever meet. Mate asked him how the wafl was treating him, he didn't like that so he followed him everywhere all night trying to find out who my friend was. Obviously didn't like the comment. Was real funny because he was at a kebab shop at the end of the night and my mate told him to **** off coz he kept trying to talk to him and tried to give him s**t. Absolute s**t campaigner
Was the WAFL sledge in a sarcastic having a crack type tone because he would have every right to get shitty over it. Docker player or not, blokes trying to enjoy a night and hes copping s**t from some random. If it was an honest question in conversation about how a bloke copes with the highs of playing in front of 18000 at domain to 500 at peel then yeah, he needs to toughen up a bit

kerrazy

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Was the WAFL sledge in a sarcastic having a crack type tone because he would have every right to get shitty over it. Docker player or not, blokes trying to enjoy a night and hes copping s**t from some random. If it was an honest question in conversation about how a bloke copes with the highs of playing in front of 18000 at domain to 500 at peel then yeah, he needs to toughen up a bit
Was said in jest, no direct insults, just a bit of banter. He was also as plastered as I was. I know it prob didn't make his night the best hearing that, but ffs the guy earns enough to make him see past someone making a very throwback comment. He literally couldn't handle it. Followed my mate to the kebab shop. Asked him what he did for a living (he is a teacher), he then added "yeah I bet youre s**t". Had to tip my hat to such a witful comeback.

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
No way in hell!

That would make the game ridiculously stupid. The bounce is a skill, some players don't have the confidence and elect to pass when they don't need to, some players mess it up thus killing a forward drive, some players think they need to bounce every 10m and overdo it.

It also works somewhat like a shot clock in a players head, forcing the issue of disposal before an option is clear. The player assesses their options, who is around them, how long they have had it. It adds a nice pressure to situations that would get ruined if it was taken away.

Make the game ridiculously stupid? Bit of an overreaction :p

I just don't understand why people seem to think it's okay when 90% of the calls are wrong when it comes to the umpires decision on running too far. People go crazy at the moment that the umpires get holding the ball wrong maybe 20% of the time. And that's generally an interpretation thing. Running more than 15 meters is a cut and dry thing. Yet no one ever gets penalized if they run 16 meters. Not if they run 20 meters. And most of the time people get away with running 25 meters. Makes no sense to me. Just get rid of it.

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast

I just don't understand why people seem to think it's okay when 90% of the calls are wrong when it comes to the umpires decision on running too far. People go crazy at the moment that the umpires get holding the ball wrong maybe 20% of the time. And that's generally an interpretation thing. Running more than 15 meters is a cut and dry thing. Yet no one ever gets penalized if they run 16 meters. Not if they run 20 meters. And most of the time people get away with running 25 meters. Makes no sense to me. Just get rid of it.

To be honest I would loosen the distance but make it a hard and fast limit. 20m but if you go over it you will always be called etc.

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Not an overreaction at all.

The bounce is essential because it's an extra limitation on players, the skill of utilising space and working for each other goes out the window if some bloke like Matty White can just grab the ball and go without fear, it would be a bad spectacle.

The field is used with disposal chains, one twos and drawing players before disposing, the limitations on what players can do and the rising pressure that amounts because of how far they've run can change the whole outcome of a forward drive.

Aug 14, 2005
NoR
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
lakers, nufc, subi, colts
Was said in jest, no direct insults, just a bit of banter. He was also as plastered as I was. I know it prob didn't make his night the best hearing that, but ffs the guy earns enough to make him see past someone making a very throwback comment. He literally couldn't handle it. Followed my mate to the kebab shop. Asked him what he did for a living (he is a teacher), he then added "yeah I bet youre s**t". Had to tip my hat to such a witful comeback.
Well typical docker flog then. Good job rustling his jimmies!!

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Not an overreaction at all.

The bounce is essential because it's an extra limitation on players, the skill of utilising space and working for each other goes out the window if some bloke like Matty White can just grab the ball and go without fear, it would be a bad spectacle.

The field is used with disposal chains, one twos and drawing players before disposing, the limitations on what players can do and the rising pressure that amounts because of how far they've run can change the whole outcome of a forward drive.

But it's okay if it is not umpired correctly? Would you be happy if they only got 1 in every 10 holding the ball decisions correct?

You say it's "essential" but it's not that essential that you don't worry that they get it right. That seems weird to me.

I realize I'm in the minority. That's why I put it in the "unpopular opinions" thread a while back. I just think why have a rule that the umpires get wrong all the time. Why not remove a rule in a game that is already over umpired. Why not promote players "taking on" opponents.

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-20/nine-things-we-learned-from-round-22

Both the Eagles and the Dogs have 11 wins, but we are constantly insulted with "flat track", "weak", "not hungry enough" etc etc. Yet the Bulldogs are "brave"?

I'm not even saying that we shouldn't be getting called bad names (except "flat track" which is just stupid), but what about the Bulldogs? At the start of the year both teams were expected to be about the same (challenge for Top 4 and at least make the 8). But you don't hear much about the Bulldogs. The fact is that both teams have been disappointing.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth

Both the Eagles and the Dogs have 11 wins, but we are constantly insulted with "flat track", "weak", "not hungry enough" etc etc. Yet the Bulldogs are "brave"?

I'm not even saying that we shouldn't be getting called bad names (except "flat track" which is just stupid), but what about the Bulldogs? At the start of the year both teams were expected to be about the same (challenge for Top 4 and at least make the 8). But you don't hear much about the Bulldogs. The fact is that both teams have been disappointing.
Except the dogs didnt have their two rucks out or their best player

TheHumanShoe

Team Captain
Oct 7, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast

That's probably because the Bulldogs are everyone's "second team". You can't hang any criticism on them. They try their best week in and out and everyone loves them.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back