Biased/incompetent media coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Principally

All Australian
Aug 25, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Yes it’s a VFL market, but when Freo, Port, Adelaide etc are up and about they still get full coverage and cheered on by 360. No other team would get ignored like this.

I am in the camp however that this is a good thing, and us not being rated a chance, or analysed to the nth degree is going to work in out favour.

Jun 20, 2008
Rainy Park City
AFL Club
West Coast
Isn't most of the commentary from actual games played? Just cut to make it sound like it could be the grand final. I could be wrong.

In saying that I think you're over reacting. I think if we won the grand final it would be about us overcoming adversity (and our recent history) and performing well at the MCG. And the commentary reflecting that would be expected.

Nope, it’d be about how we neglected to shake the hands of the kids and how we celebrated way too much, insulting all the other clubs.

Aug 31, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Yes it’s a VFL market, but when Freo, Port, Adelaide etc are up and about they still get full coverage and cheered on by 360. No other team would get ignored like this.

I am in the camp however that this is a good thing, and us not being rated a chance, or analysed to the nth degree is going to work in out favour.

Yes, when Port were up and about they got a lot of favourable coverage. They were quite generous to Fremantle in the 2013 Finals, despite Whateley’s personal bias against Lyon and that club as a whole. Sydney is always highly regarded, they seem to like GWS also.

Aside from the Queensland sides who haven’t featured in finals for so long, that leaves the two interstate powers - WCE and Adelaide. Both are treated diabolically on that show. The coverage of last years finals series was utterly nauseating, absolutely zero respect and extremely little attention was given to the Crows and what they had overcome to be minor premiers and get to the GF.

This year it is much the same for us, I don’t think it was this bad in 2015, in fact I think we had some good coverage then. *If* we get to the Grand Final it will be worse. Seems they get a bit spooked by strong and successful “interstate” clubs :)

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I dunno why but I've had a real sense that the bias this year is worse than its ever been. From that disgraceful decision by the AFL to lock in the MCG homeground, Gaff getting 8 weeks when 5 would have been a fair whack but not exclude him from a GF (ie if he was Hodge, Franklin or Hall etc) and the constant bullshit from the media including the West Australian who had my Sunday Times subscription cancelled.

Last edited:

whatis

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Fox footy article analysing why each team can and can't win the flag:

"if they (the eagles) drop the first final to Collingwood, it means they'll have no more home ground advantage for the rest of the finals series"

? nope.

garbage.

They mean against Vic sides obviously. We'd only play a Sydney side again at home so from their (usual) POV it's true.

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-06/eight-quirky-stats-about-this-years-finalists

After the first 10 matches of the year, Jack Darling was considered by some observers as the most in-form player in the competition. However, he is ranked No.9 among key forwards this season based on average Player Ratings points per game and sits a rung below Hawthorn skipper Jarryd Roughead, despite averaging more marks and goals than his Hawks counterpart. However, Darling's kick rating around the ground is poor, at -5.8 per cent.

No s**t. You get knocked out of two games, via injury, in the first 5 minutes your per game average might suffer a little...

Jul 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast Wonders, West Perth
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-06/eight-quirky-stats-about-this-years-finalists

No s**t. You get knocked out of two games, via injury, in the first 5 minutes your per game average might suffer a little...
Champion Data.
laughing.gif

Inside Bull

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan
Feb 13, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast

BlueandGoldforever

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
I dunno why but I've had a real sense that the bias this year is worse than its ever been. From that disgraceful decision by the AFL to lock in the MCG homeground, Gaff getting 8 weeks when 5 would have been a fair whack but not exclude him from a GF (ie if he was Hodge, Franklin or Hall etc) and the constant bullshit from the media including the West Australian who had my Sunday Times subscription cancelled.

I have to agree. The ‘anti-West Coast hysteria’ has gone to a new level.

Jan 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers, South Fremantle
Commentating tonight, Bruce McAvaney said it is fitting that Daniel Rioli is playing so well against Hawthorn in a final because Cyril did it so often to Richmond... Well that is a pretty good feat from Cyril because Richmond and Hawthorn have NEVER MET in a final before tonight!

Commentating tonight, Bruce McAvaney said it is fitting that Daniel Rioli is playing so well against Hawthorn in a final because Cyril did it so often to Richmond... Well that is a pretty good feat from Cyril because Richmond and Hawthorn have NEVER MET in a final before tonight!
I thought he was just making a general comment that Cyril did similar things so often in September, which was a fair call. Sounds like a little misspeak if not.

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
He wasn't speaking specifically of Richmond, just meaning Cyril at the 'G in finals in general.

I don't see it as ironic though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back