Roast Biased umpires - time for Carlton to make a statement

Remove this Banner Ad

It did not have to be conclusively a rushed behind. You don't understand the rule. As the goal umpire stated he thought it was a rushed point, thus to overrule the umpire it has to be conclusively a goal. It was not conclusively a goal as the camera angles simply did't allow for that.
I understand the rule and the process perfectly, I was asking a question as part of a discussion so stop trying to read between the lines.

I seen the replay and in my opinion I thought it showed he clearly got a boot to ball before the whole ball had crossed the goal line.

And guess what, the umpire overseeing the review saw it the same way as I and probably thousands of other unbiased viewers.

What's with the latest crap with the umpires being 'wired for sound' and talking to the commentators? They are becoming bigger than the game.
Maybe if they concentrated on what they are meant to be doing instead of trying to be rock stars they wouldn't make so many bloody mistakes!

This is my biggest issue with the whole situation.

Umpires are supposed to be peripheral figures and nothing more. We don't go to the football to watch the umpires, and we want them to have as minimal an influence as possible.

As it stands the exact opposite situation is eventuating. Umpires are fast becoming unaccountable and as you say 'bigger than the game', which is turning a lot of people away from the game itself. Whoever thinks it to be a good idea to interview and give a voice to the umpires deserves to be sacked.

Umpires are supposed to be peripheral figures and nothing more. We don't go to the football to watch the umpires, and we want them to have as minimal an influence as possible.

As it stands the exact opposite situation is eventuating. Umpires are fast becoming unaccountable and as you say 'bigger than the game', which is turning a lot of people away from the game itself. Whoever thinks it to be a good idea to interview and give a voice to the umpires deserves to be sacked.

Not to mention, I really couldn't give a * what the umpires think about the game.

I also hate the fact that they have an 'Umpire Appreciation Round'. Are they serious? A round dedicated to the umpires? :confused:

:confused: That it wasn't a goal. The replay showed that it wasn't a goal, and it was inconceivable that the review umpire could stuff it up.
It should have been a rushed behind.

So you think it was conclusively a rushed behind do you, I dont agree.
It did not have to be conclusively a rushed behind. You don't understand the rule. As the goal umpire stated he thought it was a rushed point, thus to overrule the umpire it has to be conclusively a goal. It was not conclusively a goal as the camera angles simply did't allow for that.
I understand the rule and the process perfectly, I was asking a question as part of a discussion so stop trying to read between the lines.

I seen the replay and in my opinion I thought it showed he clearly got a boot to ball before the whole ball had crossed the goal line.

And guess what, the umpire overseeing the review saw it the same way as I and probably thousands of other unbiased viewers.
I've decided to be pedantic. Clearly you do not understand the rule and the process perfectly. If you did, you would not have responded to Stamos' statement in the manner that you did.

Irrespective on your opinion on the decision, the simple fact that you questioned Stamos' statement with "conclusively a rushed behind" speaks a volume to your understanding.

And in my opinion, your argument is specious. No-one was in a better position than the goal umpire to make that call. The camera angle DID NOT conclusively suggest that the ball had not crossed the line before it was kicked. Therefore it should have been an inconclusive call and thus a rushed behind.

But we can agree to disagree on that.

I've decided to be pedantic. Clearly you do not understand the rule and the process perfectly. If you did, you would not have responded to Stamos' statement in the manner that you did.

Irrespective on your opinion on the decision, the simple fact that you questioned Stamos' statement with "conclusively a rushed behind" speaks a volume to your understanding.

And in my opinion, your argument is specious. No-one was in a better position than the goal umpire to make that call. The camera angle DID NOT conclusively suggest that the ball had not crossed the line before it was kicked. Therefore it should have been an inconclusive call and thus a rushed behind.

But we can agree to disagree on that.
I asked him a question ODNBlue clearly you struggle with whats in context and whats opinion etc.

Stamos and I had a healthy discussion about it and you decided to interject by trying to read between the lines and got it all wrong.

I completely understand the rules and the process but will not enter into debate with someone of your maturity levels.

I know you will feel compelled to reply and argue your point again but I am seriously not interested.

My view is that the poor standard of umpiring stems from a broader problem within the AFL as an organisation.
The AFL is worth $1.25 BILLION dollars over 5 years. It's time to start acting like it.
Instead of trying to take over the world with their money and set up teams in every quadrant of Australia, playing exhibition games in China/NZ, they need to get their back yard right first. Hire people who know what they are doing in sports administration to positions that make decisions. Learn how to run a sports code properly. Make the umpires position full time. Make sure they get proper training. Make sure they can have a proper career in umpiring and take it seriously. Make them accountable for their decisions. If I made as many mistakes as they do in my job I would have been fired long ago.

Re the review system, there are numerous sports that use the review system. Take a look at the NBA to see how a proper review system should work.

The AFL are such a poorly run organisation it is a joke.

What's with the latest crap with the umpires being 'wired for sound' and talking to the commentators? They are becoming bigger than the game.
Maybe if they concentrated on what they are meant to be doing instead of trying to be rock stars they wouldn't make so many bloody mistakes!

Absolutely, having a chat with the commentators...what a load of crap, talk about ego maniacs,

They are ruining the game, I came away last night thinking do I really want to spend my money on watching this blokes ruin a good game.

I've blamed the rules committee in the past, but they lost the plot last night.

Hell even Jeffy remonstrated !

Umpires have an utterly thankless task, they make mistakes just like the players do, unfortunately they are shown utterly no respect from coaches/players/media.

They sure ain't bias.

That is all.

I don't buy into the conspiracy theory about umpires, but there's no doubt that they can be biased. Last night being a classic example.

Not consciously biased perhaps, but biased nonetheless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am convinced the attempts to keep the game moving at all costs is behind some of the 'non-decisions' being made. If the free is there either pay the bloody thing, or at least call advantage so everyone knows you saw what happened and chose to let it go, rather than pretending it didn't happen.

My concern with umpiring in this fashion is the danger to the players that are still on the ground directly beneath where the ball is thrown up in an attempt to prevent a glut of players around the stoppage. The umpires are being negligent in their duty of care to players when they deliberately put them in harms way like Murphy was on Friday night. If he had been subsequently trampled by the ruckmen because he was unable to protect himself, that would be a disaster for the game. After a heavy collision like that, umpires surely should use commonsense and fairly accurately predict the bloke is hurt and not just slowing down play. They should check on his welfare before moving on with the game.

Would not like to see an unconscious player hurt further through a lack of concern for the games most valuable commodity.

BTW, can anyone tell me another professional sport where the umpires are not only given nicknames but are referred to by those names in the commentary?

The NFL has the referees miked so they can explain decisions, not commentate on how each team is playing. WTF was with that crap last night? Never again please.

How umpiring is not a full time position is beyond me
They should be looking over footage all week
Running laps to maintsn fitness
And even out there umpiring scrstch mstches or heck even school footy during the week
Plus there should be more of them - there is no "elite talent pool" of umpires there should be enough that it gets to the position thst if you umpire a game poorly and are shown to be susceptible to bias you get dropped to the vfl for a week

I don't buy into the conspiracy theory about umpires, but there's no doubt that they can be biased. Last night being a classic example.

Not consciously biased perhaps, but biased nonetheless.

Inevitably after a close loss, the coach will turn around and bring up umpires.

NEVER do they mention the half dozen/10 set shots from 30 yards that players miss.

Total cop-out in my book.

Just saw vision of the hawks officials in darkened colours.....**** this competition is a joke....it really is, remember the umps wearing colours that clashed with GC last year TWICE... This sorta s**t should never happen.

Fair dinkum this comp is run by nuffies, so many things need fixing, Goal review farce, MRP is a joke, Umpires and their coach are below standard, Rules committee is drunk with power....

Inevitably after a close loss, the coach will turn around and bring up umpires.

NEVER do they mention the half dozen/10 set shots from 30 yards that players miss.

Total cop-out in my book.
Well in my book your wrong...and it seems like many on this forum (and others) read the same book as me and not yours! As supporters of football we all understand umpires have a challenging job; we also know every debatable decision will annoy ~ 50% of the audience. But if you seek to umpire in the AFL, the premier level of the umpires craft, you need to bring your A game each week...and we didn't see that last night. I accept that umpires - like players - are only human and make mistakes. However, given the professional environment that is the AFL, i don't accept the lack of accountability for very poor umpiring performances, nor the weekly pig headed BS from the umpires boss who makes excuses for his own poor leadership. I expect the same excuses this week. The professionalism of AFL football relative to 15-20 years ago is enormous; however the same can't be said of umpiring standards. This was on display for all to see last night and frankly its not good enough.

Well in my book your wrong...and it seems like many on this forum (and others) read the same book as me and not yours! As supporters of football we all understand umpires have a challenging job; we also know every debatable decision will annoy ~ 50% of the audience. But if you seek to umpire in the AFL, the premier level of the umpires craft, you need to bring your A game each week...and we didn't see that last night. I accept that umpires - like players - are only human and make mistakes. However, given the professional environment that is the AFL, i don't accept the lack of accountability for very poor umpiring performances, nor the weekly pig headed BS from the umpires boss who makes excuses for his own poor leadership. I expect the same excuses this week. The professionalism of AFL football relative to 15-20 years ago is enormous; however the same can't be said of umpiring standards. This was on display for all to see last night and frankly its not good enough.

Here's a whistle sunshine, you go out there and do it.

What in the blue * are you on about???

People that blame, (and that is a harsh word), umpires annoy me.

You tell me, how do you make umpiring any better, as this has gone on since year dot.

What in the blue * are you on about???

If your so passionate 'sunshine' why don't you do it? Your defending poor performance, you go and do better then. There is no 'blame', its calling it how it is which clearly you have a problem with.

If your so passionate 'sunshine' why don't you do it? Your defending poor performance, you go and do better then. There is no 'blame', its calling it how it is which clearly you have a problem with.

What's the problem, a side loses a game and goes after the officials.????

There are many reasons sides lose, the scoreboard seems pretty important to me.

Used to play this wonderful game many years ago, I NEVER blamed an umpire.

Once again - a Cop-out

Just saw vision of the hawks officials in darkened colours.....**** this competition is a joke....it really is, remember the umps wearing colours that clashed with GC last year TWICE... This sorta s**t should never happen.

Fair dinkum this comp is run by nuffies, so many things need fixing, Goal review farce, MRP is a joke, Umpires and their coach are below standard, Rules committee is drunk with power....

And don't forget that Demetriou gave himself a 10% pay rise lol.

Also one that I don't think has been said, was Franklin playing on when he was over the boundary line, which would've been a shot at goal if not from Simpson's brilliant spoil....

And the replay showed that Hodge clearly took his eyes off the ball to go for Murphy instead. If he was 'going for the ball' as the press & the AFL would have it, why did he collect him high with the shoulder? Going for the ball would've resulted in a head clash instead. I'm not even a Carlton supporter, but a player has his head down going for the ball & is smashed & doesn't even get a free for that!

Carlton in the bye, apart from learning how to duck & throw their heads back as though you've been shot (ala Adam Selwood) as another poster said, need to learn what do when tackled from West Coast also. Shuey & Priddis have shown that the best way is when standing up is to throw yourself into the ground, (even though the tackle hasn't taken you to ground) & get the tackler to fall into your back, thereby drawing the free. After all, West Coast is paid more free kicks from this & their constant ducking than any other team - either that or change your jersey to brown and gold.... It's shocking that it's come to this & even worse that the umpires fall for it.

Once upon a time in the 80's, if you ducked your head, you weren't considered protected anymore & most of the time players were done for holding the ball. In this decade too, like the 70's & 90's, most umpires also paid incorrect disposal when tackled - now anything goes...
As Paul Roos said 2 years ago, he would instruct his players to try & watch the Friday night game, as this would give a good indication of how the round is going to be umpired. How on earth then can the rules change this much from week to week?!

Finally, as others have said, WTF are we hearing from umpires? Who gives a FF what they have to say!!! Maybe if they spent more time learning the rules instead of hogging the spotlight the game would be better for it.

What in the blue **** are you on about???

You tell me, how do you make umpiring any better, as this has gone on since year dot.

I don't think anybody is blaming the umpires for the loss but simply commenting that they were atrocious last night, because they were!

You can't have two sets of rules like they did. What's good enough for Hawthorn should be good enough for Carlton but unfortunately it wasn't the case last night.

Consistency is all the fans really ask for!

My view is that the poor standard of umpiring stems from a broader problem within the AFL as an organisation.
The AFL is worth $1.25 BILLION dollars over 5 years. It's time to start acting like it.
Instead of trying to take over the world with their money and set up teams in every quadrant of Australia, playing exhibition games in China/NZ, they need to get their back yard right first. Hire people who know what they are doing in sports administration to positions that make decisions. Learn how to run a sports code properly. Make the umpires position full time. Make sure they get proper training. Make sure they can have a proper career in umpiring and take it seriously. Make them accountable for their decisions. If I made as many mistakes as they do in my job I would have been fired long ago.

Re the review system, there are numerous sports that use the review system. Take a look at the NBA to see how a proper review system should work.

The AFL are such a poorly run organisation it is a joke.
The bolded bit hits the nail on the head. We have professional players, coaches, administrators, fitness gurus etc, yet those who control the game on the field are still part-timers (I seem to remember the AFL stating they were going to trial having a handful of umpires employed full-time, I'm not sure if this is up & running yet).

How can the umpires possibly umpire the game professionally when they are not employed on that basis? It is a tough game to umpire & maintaining the professional levels required to umpire the game nowadays would be nigh on impossible for those who are fitting in this job around careers as lawyers, teachers, policemen etc.

The AFL are short changing the game & its supporters with their reluctance to bring the umpires' status in line with that of the coaches, players etc. Until they do, the game will continue to suffer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back