Big Bash Expansion | BigFooty

Big Bash Expansion

Discussion in 'Cricket' started by jmac91, Nov 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jmac91

jmac91 Senior List

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Perth Scorchers, Swan Districts
    I think by BBL 10, The League would have expanded or about to expand to 10 teams. it is just where will these teams be placed. I have compiled a list of places that I think would be in the running and the grounds that they would play out of.

1. Canberra: Manuka Oval. This is a No brainer.
    2. Geelong: Kardinia Park. With the success of Renegade games and a T20I game last year. I think Geelong would happily accept a BBL: Team
    3. Gold Coast: Carrara Stadium. With the very recent success of the T20I and the Heat about to play 2 home games their this year, I think the Gold Coast has the capability to have a team of their own.
    4. Perth 2nd: The WACA Ground. With the success of the Scorchers and them moving out of the WACA, I think this gives a second Perth team a chance to enter the league
    5. North Queensland: Cazaly's Stadium/ Riverway Stadium. Not Having a specific home might make this team a success and would give the Region of North Queensland a team to support.
    6. Launceston: York Park. A North Tassie team would create a rivalry with the same mystic as the Melbourne and Sydney derby's.
    7. Northern Territory: Marrara Stadium/ Traeger Park. The Northern Territory dishes out top class talent that never gets to play in front of a home crowd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. thirds captain

thirds captain I once spoke to the league coach in 2011.

Fremantle
    Other Teams:
    Arsenal, Beer, Pies
    I really don't see the need for BBL Expansion, as the talent at the moment frankly is not there. We actually need to focus on our cricket pathways right now more then focusing on Expansion.

3. Plugger35

Plugger35 The umpires are always right!

St Kilda
    Other Teams:
    Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
    Yeah the talent is spread thin enough as it is with 8 teams, it would be even further diluted if they expanded it to 10 teams.

4. Carbine Chaos

Carbine Chaos Jubilant Masto

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Everton, Delhi, Perth
  5. Bomberboyokay

Bomberboyokay Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    NY Giants, West Ham, NY Rangers
    It will eventually be Gold Coast and Canberra. Then nobody else for a long time.

They don't have a grandfather reality like the AFL and NRL. Geelong isn't coming in. That's Melbourne 3 in practice.

6. Aussie_boy

Aussie_boy Premium Gold

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
    Just play games there like they are this season, no need for more teams. The expanded big bash (fixture wise) will be a massive failure I reckon, calling that now.

ioppolo likes this.
  7. Cleavy

Cleavy Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    unless they can get more Internationals, that would free up some spots for another squad or 2.

8. Richard Pryor

Richard Pryor Norm Smith Medallist

Hawthorn
    I think we should keep expanding the BBL until D'Arcy Shorts T20 average is 40+

9. corbies

corbies Premium Platinum

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    S'roos, New Jets, WHam, Cronulla
  10. Belnakor

Belnakor Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    allow every team to have an additional international = 8 players available for an additional team. I think there is space for another WA team.

11. Mkcaptain

Mkcaptain Norm Smith Medallist

Collingwood
    Other Teams:
    Victory, Arsenal, Bushrangers
    One of the issues with them expanding the length of the competition is that less international players will be available for all of the season. So you'd probably need 15-20 extra international players as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Freo Big Fella

Freo Big Fella Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other Teams:
    WA, Australia
    After the epically fail-strewn examples of the NBL and the A-League where rapid expansion is concerned, I'm not sure why so many people are keen to see the BBL die on the same hill.

sherb and Gough like this.
  13. Bomberboyokay

Bomberboyokay Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    NY Giants, West Ham, NY Rangers
    They don't have to be literal international players. Could import domestic English and Pakistani players if the leftover Australians really are that bad.

14. Truckosaurus

Truckosaurus Premiership Player

West Coast
    Well cricket's about the only sport that hasn't tried the Gold Coast. Might as well round off that wikipedia page on Failed Sports Teams on the Gold Coast.

15. borderbarry

borderbarry Club Legend

St Kilda
    Many indigenous people playing cricket in the Top End? If not, where would you get a team from?

16. Howard Littlejohn

Howard Littlejohn Brownlow Medallist

North Melbourne
    The BBL might actually work there. Its a short season, more show than sport, and in the middle of the holiday season visiting families might go even if locals don't.
    It isn't like relying on people to turn up every second week for five months.

All that said, the last thing Australian cricket needs is even more T20.