Big Bash Future

Remove this Banner Ad

They do need to do something to change the conversation. There is so much negativity around the competition that even anything decent is over shadowed by people talking about the standard or there beng to many games as true as it might be.

I have no idea how they fix that because I feel even if the standard improved and there were less games people still say the comp is no good.
Lots of factors at play…but for the good of the National game - it needs to be shortened back to 8 rounds

In 96/97 Pakistan and West Indies made the final and 33K went to the SCG which is a good crowd. Can't find the MCG crowd for the second final. But those teams contained Amborse, Walsh, Lara, Waqar and Wasim (amongst a handful of other absolute guns) at a time when you didn't get to see these guys that often. Even if the finalists had that sort of quality, that sort of crowd for a neutral final is just not going to happen now due to overexposure. Even by the next time that happened in 01/02 with NZ v South Africa only 20K went to the MCG for the first final.
Reason that 96/97 West Indies v Pakistan final had such a high crowd was because the tickets had been sold out on the assumption Australia would make it (that season was the first time since 1979/80 that Australia had failed to make the finals).

There was prob only 15-20k for the MCG 2nd final that season.

I was really into the Big Bash for the first 5-6 years; watched a lot of the games and went to a fair few Melbourne Stars games.

But for no particular reason, I just lost interest in it 4-5 years ago. Not really sure why, perhaps I just got bored with the format a bit and following a franchise.

It's funny how all the money is focussed on this type of franchise format when I reckon it's what cricket fans care about the least. What percentage of Oz cricket fans are really bothered if their BBL team doesn't do well? Maybe it's different for the IPL and other leagues but that lack of passion for the sides involved is the main reason for the ennui surrounding it here.

I was really into the Big Bash for the first 5-6 years; watched a lot of the games and went to a fair few Melbourne Stars games.

But for no particular reason, I just lost interest in it 4-5 years ago. Not really sure why, perhaps I just got bored with the format a bit and following a franchise.

It's funny how all the money is focussed on this type of franchise format when I reckon it's what cricket fans care about the least. What percentage of Oz cricket fans are really bothered if their BBL team doesn't do well? Maybe it's different for the IPL and other leagues but that lack of passion for the sides involved is the main reason for the ennui surrounding it here.

I think it's different in single team states, but for Melbourne and Sydney there truly is no emotional attachment or care.

at least it's not to the level of Andrew Johns playing for NSW

But it's the still same format and India winning the World T20 and suddenly thinking T20 is the biggest format doesn't really change things for the rest of the world. The players will always chase the money, but how many fans actually care or could even tell you who won any World T20 in history or BBL title?

The only reason I went to a few Stars games is because I'm an MCC member and they play at the G, couldn't really care less if they won or not, just wanted to see high quality cricket, and that just isn't the case anymore for the most part.

The only reason I went to a few Stars games is because I'm an MCC member and they play at the G, couldn't really care less if they won or not, just wanted to see high quality cricket, and that just isn't the case anymore for the most part.
The Stars had three of the T20 World Cup winning XI playing for them this season....

Go back to the state teams only and add Canberra + New Zealand team imo. Eight is plenty

Go back to the state teams only and add Canberra + New Zealand team imo. Eight is plenty

There won't be a New Zealand team entering the Big Bash when they have their own T20 competition the Super Smash.

A combined T20 comp with a mix of teams from both countries could be a possibility in the future though and might be a way to boost interest.

There won't be a New Zealand team entering the Big Bash when they have their own T20 competition the Super Smash.

A combined T20 comp with a mix of teams from both countries could be a possibility in the future though and might be a way to boost interest.

Yep that would work too. Similar to the Rugby comp with teams from Aus/RSA/NZ playing in the same comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m in the same boat, don’t mind heading down to the G for Stars games after work with a couple of mates in the MCC. Always hoping for Stoin, Maxi or Zampa to have a night out, but aside from that I just can’t take it seriously. I watch barely any BBL outside of the games I go to.

Felt different when Victoria was playing in the old Big Bash though, it was as if the crowds genuinely cared about the result of each game and got right behind the Bushrangers. Like an actual sporting contest instead of just an evening of light entertainment.

There was still a lot of novelty factor back then.

I went to the very first one, WA vs Vic at the WACA - so packed out they even opened up the members area. And yeah, we all got behind WA, but so much of it was just people wanting to check out the format.

I’m in the same boat, don’t mind heading down to the G for Stars games after work with a couple of mates in the MCC. Always hoping for Stoin, Maxi or Zampa to have a night out, but aside from that I just can’t take it seriously. I watch barely any BBL outside of the games I go to.

Felt different when Victoria was playing in the old Big Bash though, it was as if the crowds genuinely cared about the result of each game and got right behind the Bushrangers. Like an actual sporting contest instead of just an evening of light entertainment.
I remember going to see Victoria play whoever in the T20 comp before the big bash, think we'd signed Englands Matt Prior for a few games haha. The crowds were never great though, the BBL had that initial novelty factor and all the advertising around it to give it the best chance of succeeding, which it did, for a little while anyway. I honestly have no idea what to do to fix the BBL, I'm sure CA will make the wrong choices anyway.

Season is definitely to long for a format is pretty much the same s**t in repeat.

The only benefit they have atm it's in the school holidays so it's a night out for the family but interest outside of the fact it's a convenient night out is low and the fact every country have wanted a slice of the cash pie and there's a T20 tournament in every country hasn't done the format any favours, everyone's sick of it.

Just recently we watched the T20 World Cup and the following week we were seeing T20I's between sides in 3 or 4 match series lol.

I remember going to see Victoria play whoever in the T20 comp before the big bash, think we'd signed Englands Matt Prior for a few games haha. The crowds were never great though, the BBL had that initial novelty factor and all the advertising around it to give it the best chance of succeeding, which it did, for a little while anyway. I honestly have no idea what to do to fix the BBL, I'm sure CA will make the wrong choices anyway.
When something is new it's exciting but it takes good leadership to keep it in a good spot, look at the A League for example, first 10 years was in a good spot now is just about dead, no one cares for it and the crowds are shocking, Big Bash will be the same.

Alot of the games are no longer on free to air.

And one of the reasons I did not watch last night and lost interest,we do not have Foxtel or Kayo and why not just live stream it.BUT I suppose Foxtel would prevent that.Just struggle with state players playing for other teams playing interstate EG.Siddle playing in Adelaide and a Tas.shield player,Stonius Melb Stars and a WA shield player,etc.Really looking forward to the end of the shield season though.

The people that want to go back to tradition and revert to state sides only have themselves to blame, state sides haven't got crowds or interest for years now. I occasionally got watch a day of Shield cricket and some days there'd be lucky to be 200 people there, same with the T20s before the franchises come in and the ODD comp, bugger all interest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back