Big Bash Future

Remove this Banner Ad

The people that want to go back to tradition and revert to state sides only have themselves to blame, state sides haven't got crowds or interest for years now. I occasionally got watch a day of Shield cricket and some days there'd be lucky to be 200 people there, same with the T20s before the franchises come in and the ODD comp, bugger all interest.
A few people have made the point in this thread that state vs state t20s had low crowds compared to the first few years of franchise t20s. This is true but you have to take context into account. The state Big Bash was growing in popularity and momentum every season until the format changed. The reason CA changed the format in the first place was not because state vs state t20s were unpopular, but so an extra two sides could be squeezed in so that more games could be sold for broadcast rights. At the time the local derbies in the A-League were must see events, and CA also wanted a slice of that intra-city tribalism.

What really catapulted the comp into mainstream popularity was Channel 10 broadcasting it in its entirety on FTA TV for the first time. I realise it's pointless dealing in hypotheticals like this, but I have no doubt this would have eventuated anyway if the state comp stuck around. The format would likely have more staying power as well, as it is not relying solely on just being a convenient cheap night out to get bums on seats in the way the current comp does.

The people that want to go back to tradition and revert to state sides only have themselves to blame, state sides haven't got crowds or interest for years now. I occasionally got watch a day of Shield cricket and some days there'd be lucky to be 200 people there, same with the T20s before the franchises come in and the ODD comp, bugger all interest.

Victoria got 45,000 to the G for a game, did the Stars even get 45,000 for the entire season this year?

Crowds this year are worse than they were for the state comp.

The few years of the BBL were great - I live regionally, it was a big thing to take the kids to town but they got to see the ⭐️ play with actual ⭐️ like Warne, KP etc, now with minor exceptions and understandably there is no one I desperately want to see play as I’ve already seen them and I can again

Wasn’t there a crowd of 80k between Tassie and Victoria. The final always drew a big crowd
Oh yeah, the biggest state-based T20 crowd was Tasmania vs Victoria. But that was only 43,125.

The 80,000 crowd was Stars vs Renegades, which is pretty decent for two teams nobody cares about.

They definitely need more marque players. In the case of the Strikers take out Rashid and you are left with a good group of cricketers but no one exciting. I think most teams are the same.

I think the problem with this is that a huge amount of the marquee internationals (Gayle, Pietersen, Flintoff et al) have been absolute busts on field when compared to costs outlayed. Remember this is still a competition sides aim to win and the low profile journeymen (look at the Scorchers this year with Munro, Evans and Mills) provide way more on field.

I think the problem with this is that a huge amount of the marquee internationals (Gayle, Pietersen, Flintoff et al) have been absolute busts on field when compared to costs outlayed. Remember this is still a competition sides aim to win and the low profile journeymen (look at the Scorchers this year with Munro, Evans and Mills) provide way more on field.

KP a bust? Lol, that’s funny. 37 @ 137 is pretty damn good in T20…

Oh yeah, the biggest state-based T20 crowd was Tasmania vs Victoria. But that was only 43,125.

The 80,000 crowd was Stars vs Renegades, which is pretty decent for two teams nobody cares about.

It was the planets aligning, public holiday, great weather and players the people actually wanted to see. Nothing in the current BBL could come close to that games star power hence it will never be repeated.

Aside from the length, a big problem for the big bash is that it's in the middle of the southern summer when Australia, NZ and SA are all hosting bilaterals so almost no first choice internationals can play. If they could shorten it and hold it in October as a lead-in to the summer they could probably attract more big names and avoid splitting the shield season, but then they'd miss school holidays which CA would never be willing to do

It was the planets aligning, public holiday, great weather and players the people actually wanted to see. Nothing in the current BBL could come close to that games star power hence it will never be repeated.
Recruiting drawcard players and putting a derby on a long weekend isn't the "planets aligning" - it's just good planning. And there's no reason why it couldn't happen again.

The last two seasons have been a write off because of COVID, but the Stars vs Renegades MCG game in 19/20 still got 55,000.

The media heavily pushed a fill the ground campaign that week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Recruiting drawcard players and putting a derby on a long weekend isn't the "planets aligning" - it's just good planning. And there's no reason why it couldn't happen again.

The last two seasons have been a write off because of COVID, but the Stars vs Renegades MCG game in 19/20 still got 55,000.

I think Covid has had a bigger impact than we are probably acknowleding. Even the amount of games has had an impact.

As an example when home games were expanded the Strikers planned to play at least one game in the NT. That hasn't been able to occur which has meant Adelaide Oval has hosted more than what was planned.

This not rocket science.
Most of this is solved with complete common sense.

First off, I should note, personally I do not even care about T20 cricket. It such an abbreviated format of the sport, it as close as you have to just having
a bowling machine fling out some balls down practice net and batsmen tries to slog and if he gets out, no big deal, we got other hitters coming in anyway.
That will never capture my imagination to ever really care. Whether it be T20 internationals or Big Bash or IPL none of it captures my imagination for the sport as it loses the true even contest of bowler v batsmen when it reduced to bowler mostly bowling containment balls because batsmen does not value his own wicket and most out to slog it as far as he can. For me it good for the odd highlight of massive sixathon session by a Lynn or Pollard type and a few great catches. It very disposable and an ok quick crash course in the sport for kids and theatre goer type people.

Having said that, it still has people that want it and can make money for the sport so if done right it can still have it's role.
I think if it returns to what it was of basically a match most week nights for a month in school holidays but completed in a month it can exist and still not mess with bulk of overall cricket schedule.
I was listening to a podcast before this post and Warney, in one of rare moments, made a lot of sense to me. He basically said start in New Year's Eve and have it done within a month.
Return to franchise playing once each and one team you play twice only for a total of 8 games before any finals series.
By doing it at this tip it fits better with Shield and Test cricket schedule. The players play Shield cricket right up to Christmas break, the Test cricket summer finishes with Boxing Day Test and new year period so the Test team has Shield players in form throughout the Test part of summer and it only last Test of summer where players not in Test side start of Big Bash season.
As Warney said, it makes it easier for some overseas players to not have to spend Christmas away from home and only have to spend a month in Australia and get paid well for shorter stay, which way more appealing for those available.

I do not even think I watched a minute of Big Bash all summer. I think I saw 30 seconds of highlights of Maxwell hit a century a week or two back and that was it. 14 games each I think I heard. Way too much that even those of you into T20 cricket would find less and less meaning in a single match and it surely has less impact if you got 13 others to play.
8 matches each would at least mean, for those involved each match at least has more impact of the season.
So re-do it as 8 matches each with some double headers on a few Saturday nights in middle of tournament and last weekend before finals you have one match on the Friday night and triple header on last Saturday so all teams playing their 8th game then.

Sunday off and Finals start on the Monday night with 4th v 5th in Elimination Final.
Tuesday night 1 v 2 with winner into final for the Saturday night.
Wednesday night 3rd placed team plays winner of Elimination Final in knockout Semi-Final.
Thursday night is loser of 1 v 2 plays winner of the Semi-Final in the Preliminary Final
Saturday night is the Final with winner of Tuesday night playing winner from Preliminary Final.
This would mean last Saturday of January is the end of Big Bash so school holidays is perfect time for those family that want summer night out with kids for a couple of hours can do it with no worries of it impacting school.

It makes sense.
Just do it.

Last edited:
This not rocket science.
Most of this is solved with complete common sense.

First off, I should note, personally I do not even care about T20 cricket. It such an abbreviated format of the sport, it as close as you have to just having
a bowling machine fling out some balls down practice net and batsmen tries to slog and if he gets out, no big deal, we got other hitters coming in anyway.
That will never capture my imagination to ever really care. Whether it be T20 internationals or Big Bash or IPL none of it captures my imagination for the sport as it loses the true even contest of bowler v batsmen when it reduced to bowler mostly bowling containment balls because batsmen does not value his own wicket and most out to slog it as far as he can. For me it good for the odd highlight of massive sixathon session by a Lynn or Pollard type and a few great catches. It very disposable and an ok quick crash course in the sport for kids and theatre goer type people.

Having said that, it still has people that want it and can make money for the sport so if done right it can still have it's role.
I think if it returns to what it was of basically a match most week nights for a month in school holidays but completed in a month it can exist and still not mess with bulk the overall cricket schedule.
I was listening to a podcast before this post and Warney, in one of rare moments, made a lot of sense to me. He basically said start in New Year's Eve and have it done within a month.
Return to franchise playing once each and one team you play twice only for a total of 8 games before any finals series.
By doing it at this tip it fits better with Shield and Test cricket schedule. The players play Shield cricket right up to Christmas break, the Test cricket summer finishes with Boxing Day Test and new year period so the Test team has Shield players in form throughout the Test part of summer and it only last Test of summer where players not in Test side start of Big Bash season.
As Warney said, it makes it easier for some overseas players to not have to spend Christmas away from home and only have to spend a month in Australia and get paid well for shorter stay, which way more appealing for those available.

I do not even think I watched a minute of Big Bash all summer. I think I saw 30 seconds of highlights of Maxwell hit a century a week or two back and that was it. 14 games each I think I heard. Way too much that even those of you into T20 cricket would find less and less meaning in a single match and it surely has less impact if you got 13 others to play.
8 matches each would at least mean, for those involved each match at least has more impact of the season.
So re-do it as 8 matches each with some double headers on a few Saturday nights in middle of tournament and last weekend before finals you have one match on the Friday night and triple header on last Saturday so all teams playing their 8th game then.

Sunday off and Finals start on the Monday night with 4th v 5th in Elimination Final.
Tuesday night 1 v 2 with winner into final for the Saturday night.
Wednesday night 3rd placed team plays winner of Elimination Final in knockout Semi-Final.
Thursday night is loser of 1 v 2 plays winner of the Semi-Final in the Preliminary Final
Saturday night is the Final with winner of Tuesday night playing winner from Preliminary Final.
This would mean last Saturday of January is the end of Big Bash so school holidays is perfect time for those family that want summer night out with kids for a couple of hours can do it with no worries of it impacting school.

It makes sense.
Just do it.

Generally agree with what Warne has said but the issue becomes if they start it NYE they only get two weeks free before the tennis starts.

Its something the buffoons at CA need to discuss urgently but all they see is $$$$.

Genuinely believe another 1/2 years of this comp continuing its downward spiral and it will be hard to sustain. Media rights will be lower, in turn players salaries lower.

Generally agree with what Warne has said but the issue becomes if they start it NYE they only get two weeks free before the tennis starts.

Its something the buffoons at CA need to discuss urgently but all they see is $$$$.

Genuinely believe another 1/2 years of this comp continuing its downward spiral and it will be hard to sustain. Media rights will be lower, in turn players salaries lower.
It competed with Tennis before so not a major issue.
In fact some of overseas visitors whether they press, players or others see some of it on tv in their hotel rooms whilst relaxing. They curious what going on across road at MCG when there more at cricket than tennis. In fact some people probably attend both in a day.

What it was, a short fun tournament with big name players and it was televised every night at a time of year where there is nothing else worth watching on commercial TV (there is nothing worth watching anytime of the year if you ask me).

What it is, a very long tournament that has declined visibly in standard and is locked behind a paywall. All so that Sutherland could leave CA saying he got a billion dollars for the cricket rights.

What it was, a short fun tournament with big name players and it was televised every night at a time of year where there is nothing else worth watching on commercial TV (there is nothing worth watching anytime of the year if you ask me).

What it is, a very long tournament that has declined visibly in standard and is locked behind a paywall. All so that Sutherland could leave CA saying he got a billion dollars for the cricket rights.
Exactly this, was a game every single night on Channel 10, with double headers as well, good commentary team. Now there are some matches on Saturdays are Foxtel exclusive, stupid. CA have really botched this league.

I know you lot don't like Shane Warne but his thoughts regarding Big Bash is bang on, it should start Dec 31st and Finish toward the end of January, 4 week tournament. Shield cricket plays up until Christmas.

Each side plays each other once. Short, sharp and keeps the product fresh, I think majority of fans are just about over the T20 format because its over played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back