Big Bash Future

Remove this Banner Ad

I think a season where the tests are from November through to the start of Jan (New Year's Day test the last, and START IT on New Year's Day, ffs), and a BBL from Dec 23 to January 27 should be what we're aiming for.

Shorter, intense BBL season when families are really up for it. Games across Christmas and NYE. Easier to sign internationals plus more access to the test side.

While we're there?

Melbourne Stars "moves" to Auckland, Thunder move to Canberra and a Wellington team comes in. But fewer games - play each team once, plus "rivalry round", and elimination finals play ins for teams 3 to 6.

Sell the teams to private owners (or do something to drive passionate, unforgiving management), and we're done.
New year's test can't start on new year's Day - there's a minimum number of days required between tests, so the earliest it can start is January 3.

Also, the Kiwis have their own competition, which they're very happy with, so that's not happening either.

Tail wagging the dog. Change one of our most important series to accommodate the BBL.

Change? Just don't schedule it then in the first place. It's not like it matters to the Australian market whether it starts Feb 9 or Feb 16. Or just shift the BBL a week so it finishes earlier.

Ultimately if CA wants the public to take the BBL seriously, then CA have to take it seriously. Ripping players out of the league come finals time(!) because of their own scheduling screams amateur hour.

Or just don't schedule a test series in India starting February 9. Should be mid-February at the earliest.

India wouldn't compromise the IPL by doing something similar, and we shouldn't either.

I think you'll find Cricket Australia have very little say on when the test matches in India take place. The last thing the BCCI are thinking about is the Big Bash... they push the start date back we'd either lose a test which no one wants or the IPL gets pushed back which yeah would never happen.

Last edited:
I think you'll find Cricket Australia have very little say on when the test matches in India take place. The last thing the BCCI are thinking about is the Big Bash... they push the start date back we'd either lost a test which no one wants or the IPL gets pushed back which yeah would never happen.

So push the BBL back a week, or simply say no to the BCCI. It should simply be a non-negotiable position.

Change? Just don't schedule it then in the first place. It's not like it matters to the Australian market whether it starts Feb 9 or Feb 16. Or just shift the BBL a week so it finishes earlier.

Ultimately if CA wants the public to take the BBL seriously, then CA have to take it seriously. Ripping players out of the league come finals time(!) because of their own scheduling screams amateur hour.
Do CA want the public to take the BBL seriously? They've openly said its main objective is to generate income and to attract kids to take up cricket.

I don't think people should be taking it seriously.

Do CA want the public to take the BBL seriously? They've openly said its main objective is to generate income and to attract kids to take up cricket.

I don't think people should be taking it seriously.

I agree, but they also seem to want people to watch it. You can't treat the league as a joke and expect mass interest.

Absolutely no co-incidence that when our best players came back to play in it public interest went up.

The peak was 2015/16 - Big Bash #5
That was the year of Head's epic knock against the Sixers and the 4th placed Thunder winning the final against the Stars
Each team played 8 matches and average attendance was a touch under 30,000
Dont know what average attendance is this year but in the last pre-COVID season (2019/20) it was 18,353.

There's a revolving door of big names.
Honestly, how can anyone think it's a big deal that Andre Russell played 4 games at the start?
The Test players are in and out of the team and when they and the imports are out, some of the teams are very ordinary

The peak was 2015/16 - Big Bash #5
That was the year of Head's epic knock against the Sixers and the 4th placed Thunder winning the final against the Stars
Each team played 8 matches and average attendance was a touch under 30,000
Dont know what average attendance is this year but in the last pre-COVID season (2019/20) it was 18,353.

There's a revolving door of big names.
Honestly, how can anyone think it's a big deal that Andre Russell played 4 games at the start?
The Test players are in and out of the team and when they and the imports are out, some of the teams are very ordinary

Every side had some decent talent, it wasn't just domestic 11's, the Thunder side was legit stacked.

Strikers - Brad Hodge, Jayawardene, Rashid

Hurricanes - Kumar Sangakkara, George Bailey, Darren Sammy

Renegades - Gayle, Bravo, Finch, White

Stars - KP, David Hussey, Wright, Maxwell, Faulkner, Hilfenhaus, Hastings

Scorchers - Klinger, Voges, Shaun Marsh, Willey

Sixers - Haddin

Thunder - Kallis, Michael Hussey, Khawaja, Shane Watson, Russell

Somebody told me these are the average national audience figures (in 000s), by team, for Seven's 40 H&A games this season:
Sixers 856
Strikers 819
Renegades 809
Heat 767
Scorchers 764
Thunder 759
Stars 751
Hurricanes 694

Somebody also told me these figures include projections/educated guesses for Kayo and for the regional ratings in the last week of the season. And I told somebody 'hey, that's what all TV ratings are' and then somebody was like 'yeah good point'.

Somebody also also told me not to post more detailed breakdowns, lest OzTAM heavies are waiting inside my apartment to ambush me with a sock full of pennies.

Somebody told me these are the average national audience figures (in 000s), by team, for Seven's 40 H&A games this season:
Sixers 856
Strikers 819
Renegades 809
Heat 767
Scorchers 764
Thunder 759
Stars 751
Hurricanes 694

Somebody also told me these figures include projections/educated guesses for Kayo and for the regional ratings in the last week of the season. And I told somebody 'hey, that's what all TV ratings are' and then somebody was like 'yeah good point'.

Somebody also also told me not to post more detailed breakdowns, lest OzTAM heavies are waiting inside my apartment to ambush me with a sock full of pennies.
A quick squiz on mediaweek shows Fox regularly gets 150,000 to 200,000 a night, FWIW.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a season where the tests are from November through to the start of Jan (New Year's Day test the last, and START IT on New Year's Day, ffs), and a BBL from Dec 23 to January 27 should be what we're aiming for.

Shorter, intense BBL season when families are really up for it. Games across Christmas and NYE. Easier to sign internationals plus more access to the test side.
Agree with this, but the bit in bold has become a lot harder now that the BBL is sharing a schedule with SA20 and Dubai T20 leagues that can pay internationals a lot more money (more so the latter).

I mean look at the level of talent that left the BBL early this year to play in higher paying leagues.

the test players won't be about for next year's BBL.

there will be a test series v west indies (mid-late january) , followed immediately by a test tour to new zealand.
Means it is essential CA can get the best internationals to play for the whole tournament.

One thing that has worked this season is when the international stars left the test players came in

Means it is essential CA can get the best internationals to play for the whole tournament.

One thing that has worked this season is when the international stars left the test players came in
Need to pay them more than Dubai is going to pay them.

The Domestic T20 Comp calendar is heavily skewed towards January. You have Dubai, South Africa and Bangladesh all with their domestic leagues on this time of year. And the Pakistan T20 starting in feb.

Compare that to the IPL which has managed to not only get an empty slot on the domestic schedule, but also on the international schedule too.

Sixers 856
Strikers 819
Renegades 809
Heat 767
Scorchers 764
Thunder 759
Stars 751
Hurricanes 694

Interesting, the above goes a bit against this but feels like Victoria is the issue. Easy to say but feels like if the Stars got an extra 100k everyone might be less worried about the comp?

Interesting, the above goes a bit against this but feels like Victoria is the issue. Easy to say but feels like if the Stars got an extra 100k everyone might be less worried about the comp?

Or 1 team for Victoria and NSW would improve the average…

The average for Sydney’s 2 teams and the 2 Melbourne teams would have them 2nd and 3rd in viewership ahead of the only city who actually cares about this comp…

There is no issue with TV ratings. They are clearly up on last season, and per match it remains the most-watched league in Australia.

Or 1 team for Victoria and NSW would improve the average…

The average for Sydney’s 2 teams and the 2 Melbourne teams would have them 2nd and 3rd in viewership ahead of the only city who actually cares about this comp…
Absolute nonsense. Every team's biggest audience is Melbourne, then Sydney (except when the Aus Open is on, in which case it's Sydney then Melbourne).

The Stars would average 900k if they were a good team and there's no excuse for being so bad for so long, considering how the Sixers have performed with NSW split into two teams as well.

Absolute nonsense. Every team's biggest audience is Melbourne, then Sydney (except when the Aus Open is on, in which case it's Sydney then Melbourne).

The Stars would average 900k if they were a good team and there's no excuse for being so bad for so long, considering how the Sixers have performed with NSW split into two teams as well.

And the Thunder have been s**t…

There is no issue with TV ratings. They are clearly up on last season, and per match it remains the most-watched league in Australia.

I agree, personally I think we will only see a temporary reduction of games. I think in a few years there will be a push to get back to home and away.

I've been enjoyed what will be the last home and away season before the BBL becomes a carnival next season. Every team playing 10 regular season games in a joke and not a funny one. Should be a minimum of 12 games per team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back