Big Bash Future

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t know what you call the Sydney Test that’s in January and an international match.
Yes, I meant after that as I posted a number of times. But I mean the rest of January there no international cricket to watch or even attend this season that I normally would if I could. Basically the international summer was over so early in January is just been a total emptiness in the peak period of summer for me this cricket season which just feels horrid.

BBL will become a development league for IPL.

It keeps domestic audiences happy but, for players, they have their eye on the cash.

Obviously, already is.

IPL is the goal but how do fringe players get a BBL contract? Sounds like the comps played in Qld and the NT can be the feeder comps.

Wrong, It is because there is no international cricket in January and not much planned in future years that it is a disaster. The schedue has changed heaps of times without it being a disaster. Tests a bit early, one dayers in November , one dayers between Tests etc etc, it changed heaps of times. That in itself is not a disaster so you fail to get it again. Your clown read on it means you just want to argue for sake of it.

As I said, my gripe is about no real international cricket to attend or watch in the peak of summer. This is a disaster for a cricket lover like me that actually has time to attend and would attend in January if they did the schedule well but they have turned it into a disaster when cricket lovers like me, do not have the matches to goto now. It's like having no football matches to goto for five weeks of footy season when you keen to go. Absolute disaster if you ignore what big fans of a sport actually had and want and you remove it and therefore the sport they love is not service theiir loyal fans. If you cannot understand that, then no point talking with you as you will never get it.
I totally understand where you're coming from. But do you understand my argument?

There's been plenty of international cricket this summer, it just went from September to January instead of November to February. Big ******* deal. It'll be December to February next year and I'm sure you'll be happy.

Fact is, there has been wall-to-wall cricket in January this year. If you don't want to watch it, that's fine, but you're making a big leap to assume that true cricket lovers want internationals in January and that T20 fans are theatre-goers.

T20 is the best vehicle for creating new fans. It's been around for 20 years, it's here to stay. Suck it up.

Obviously, already is.

IPL is the goal but how do fringe players get a BBL contract? Sounds like the comps played in Qld and the NT can be the feeder comps.

All of this will ensure T20 is the only form of cricket going forward because the feeder competitions will reach deeper and deeper into the development pool of young players.

As long as everybody is happy with that, that's fine. It will just accelerate what administrators are convincing themselves is an inevitability: the end of long form cricket (first class and tests).

Taking the long historical view, it's cricket returning to its roots in the 18th century: exhibition matches closely allied to gambling.

In the future, people may look back and wonder why test cricket even evolved and why we took it so seriously for so long. And they'll probably also wonder how the administrators of a sport managed to have so little faith in their product that they split it into 4 formats and alienated their existing audience.

It just disposable cricket at heart and that ok, for theatre goers that only want that and have attention span for only an hour or two of sport but I need something more meaningful to really engage my interest and real contest between bat and ball is what I appreciate more and just do not get that with disposable cricket.
This sort of attitude that people have towards T20 cricket is outdated, ill-informed and incredibly elitist.

Generalising anyone that enjoys T20 as a simpleton is incredibly out of touch.

I totally understand where you're coming from.
You clearly don't. The fact you can say there was wall to wall cricket in January to a big cricket fan, that telling you I had nothing to watch that I wanted to watch of international cricket here and attend in the peak period of summer tells me just have bugger all understanding. All that been on is Big Bash which is clearly not what I'm after in last few weeks. If there was Big Bash on and internationa one day series between Kiwi's, Australia and some other team it would be service all types of cricket fans but there nothing on but Big Bash so it's lacked the international cricket I want to watch and attend. That is a disaster in my opinion as a cricket fan and I do not see it getting better with the admin we have now.

Nah, I get the nuances but it just not that interesting in the end as the value on wickets is so little.
You do not have to defend your wicket, you there to score runs as quick as possible so if you lose it, not the end of the world. It just disposable cricket at heart and that ok, for theatre goers that only want that and have attention span for only an hour or two of sport but I need something more meaningful to really engage my interest and real contest between bat and ball is what I appreciate more and just do not get that with disposable cricket.
I disagree with your view and assesment, but if it's not your thing that's fine.

I reckon it's here to stay though and domestic T20 cricket will be very popular for years to come.

The BBL definitely has some issues and areas of improvement that need addressing though.

I disagree with your view and assesment, but if it's not your thing that's fine.

I reckon it's here to stay though and domestic T20 cricket will be very popular for years to come.
It certainly not going anywhere and I am fine with it if they fit it in the right spot of summer so it not screw with timing of other formats so much and still has it's own audience.
If they can bring it back to a 3 or 4 week tournament at most from December early or mid December to just after Sydney Test finishes I think it would be better for T20 cricket and cricket in general in Australia. A smaller length tournament would probably work better for the international players too.

Like Adelaide Hawk I’ve been involved in the game at various levels for almost 40 years. Playing, Coaching, Mentoring and preparing wickets. This year I’ve still managed a few games in A Grade despite my advancing years (50). My passion for the game is at an all time low, I’ve hardly watched a ball this year and seen zero live when once upon a time I would not have missed an MCG game. My real fear is for grassroots, the skills of batting simply aren’t being taught - fundamentally kids coming through the system simply cannot bat for any length of time. You can blame T20, but it’s deeper than that, much deeper it starts with how we teach and learn the game. I’ve got two boys who are now young adults, I’ve let them down, I taught them to play straight and be technically correct from a young age. They are both very good players but in todays day and age of Big Bash and so, they are 🦕 as am I. But if I had to back someone to survive I’d back us in. The BBL simply has to revert to the 6 week block from mid December until the end of Jan, To have virtually no international cricket in January is borderline insanity. I am unsure who our next players are, I certainly don’t recall seeing any batsmen in the BBL that gave me a wow factor and I’m so out of touch with the Shield because it’s stop start. I cannot see how any of this is good for the future of cricket. If the foundations are weak the house will eventually fall.

There were some tremendously enjoyable games of BBL this year, and some excellent cricket.

Lol, yeah close games don’t mean great cricket. Close games in BBL are usually due to teams trying to be shitter than the other.

The team who made the final were the worst team for most of the comp yet got lucky and made the final! 6/8 teams in the BBL were absolute rubbish and Perth win every year as they are a state side who play together all year round.

Sixers are up there most years as the NSW no1 team whilst their poor cousins made finals despite being bowled out for 15! That’s a top 4 performance? 😂😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like Adelaide Hawk I’ve been involved in the game at various levels for almost 40 years. Playing, Coaching, Mentoring and preparing wickets. This year I’ve still managed a few games in A Grade despite my advancing years (50). My passion for the game is at an all time low, I’ve hardly watched a ball this year and seen zero live when once upon a time I would not have missed an MCG game. My real fear is for grassroots, the skills of batting simply aren’t being taught - fundamentally kids coming through the system simply cannot bat for any length of time. You can blame T20, but it’s deeper than that, much deeper it starts with how we teach and learn the game. I’ve got two boys who are now young adults, I’ve let them down, I taught them to play straight and be technically correct from a young age. They are both very good players but in todays day and age of Big Bash and so, they are 🦕 as am I. But if I had to back someone to survive I’d back us in. The BBL simply has to revert to the 6 week block from mid December until the end of Jan, To have virtually no international cricket in January is borderline insanity. I am unsure who our next players are, I certainly don’t recall seeing any batsmen in the BBL that gave me a wow factor and I’m so out of touch with the Shield because it’s stop start. I cannot see how any of this is good for the future of cricket. If the foundations are weak the house will eventually fall.
The game won't fall, but the game's primary format might change. T20 will potentially become the dominant format.

That's one possibility. A lot of purists would hate this, but the younger generation who grow up with predominantly T20 cricket wouldn't necessarily know any different.

This sort of attitude that people have towards T20 cricket is outdated, ill-informed and incredibly elitist.

Generalising anyone that enjoys T20 as a simpleton is incredibly out of touch.
This is true but by the same token, there are a section of cricket fandom/ journalists who over complicate T20 for the purposes of self promotion - banging on about match ups etc .

Fifty thousand people turned up to a game on the weekend, in Perth, and what a surprise... the old Vic and SA snobs proclaiming the death of the BBL on page 1 are now resurfacing to say "yeh but dey not proppa cwicket fanz".
Still better than your CA apologist agenda.

Still better than your CA apologist agenda.
Suck it up, sook.

The thread is about the future of the BBL, which is a hell of a lot brighter than that of the old-timers pining for the past.

90% of the bitching in here stems from the Stars and Strikers being basketcases, it's obvious.

Suck it up, sook.

The thread is about the future of the BBL, which is a hell of a lot brighter than that of the old-timers pining for the past.

90% of the bitching in here stems from the Stars and Strikers being basketcases, it's obvious.
I wept tears of despair in to my KFC bucket hat when my beloved light blue strike force were 1 of the 3 teams to fail to progress to the finals after a gripping 60 game group stage.

Last edited:
To generalise that young kids can't bat any length of time is false.

Will Pucovski had multiple double centuries at 22, Teague Wylie has a FC century at 18, and that's just off the top of my head. Plenty of others coming through who can bat - and bowl - in "traditional" ways.

These kids started at the grassroots, did they not?
No…these blokes came from Mars…batting technique standards are declining at grassroots level…it’s a fact, elite talent will always get through but in my opinion (and I’ve sort of got a bit of background behind me in order to support my claim - VSDCA 1st XI, Sydney Grade Cricket 2nd XI, Premiership Senior Captain Coach of a major Provincial Competition) the depth is declining at a rapid rate because of the way kids learn and play the game. Owing to covid and weather we haven’t played a two day game for 3-4 years. Sides struggle to bat 40 overs on roads.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back