Big Bash Future

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess they (CA) would prefer some consistency with the players, rather than switching back and forth between formats.

Back when Australia dominated both forms of the game they’d play a Shield game Tue-Fri then a one dayer on Sunday. Could very easily do the same if they dumped these trumped up ‘franchises’.

Back when Australia dominated both forms of the game they’d play a Shield game Tue-Fri then a one dayer on Sunday. Could very easily do the same if they dumped these trumped up ‘franchises’.

True. I wish we would go back to that, regardless.

No money here, you won't attract top players just Afghan spinners or 3rd string poms lol.

I think everyone agrees that there are too many games and that the season is too long. Increasing the number of teams means that a drop in the number of total matches is minimised should the season be scaled back to each team playing the other once. But obviously there may not be the depth of talent there, but increasing the number of internationals might address this. If the season is shorter it is more likely that quality overseas players will come, provided the money is decent.

On the club cricketers thing.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Andrew Tye was basically a club cricketer - he'd only played a couple of one day games for WA - who became a world class bowler and that only happens because the Sydney Thunder needed extra players, which is itself a result of having two extra teams.

There are young players whose first games at a domestic level were BBL games, and from there they've gone into solid Shield players. It's actually a good pathway for young developing cricketers to be in this environment for a couple of months.

They're in a professional set-up, with professional cricketers from around the country and around the world, instead of going to work during the week and playing grade cricket with the same mates on the same grounds with the same coaches again.

It's a positive of the BBL, not a negative.
Tye isn’t world class. He’s a BBL champion and international cannon fodder

Tye isn’t world class. He’s a BBL champion and international cannon fodder
Most T20I wickets in the world in 2018, most wickets in the IPL one year, one of the best strike rates in T20I all-time.

He's nearing the end but he was absolutely one of the best in the world a few years back.

Stopped watching a few years ago. They need to cut a few of the teams and go back to a seven game season. One team each in Melbourne and Sydney. Stops diluting the talent pool.

Disappointing the younger Australian players haven’t kicked on and it’s still the old folk at the top.

Hopefully Mcdermott, Phillipe and Inglis come good.

I just don't understand what would be the ACBs motivation to change?

Crowds are down, but there's a pretty good excuse for that. Ratings are still strong, and we've just won a T20 World Cup.

The irony of the Tests being 3 day affairs is that the BBL now fills the void nicely. Instead of being nothing on, there's BBL on every night.
It is not filling any void for me at all.
I literally hanging out bad for Sydney Test to start and wondering why it cannot start on New Year's day or the next day at worst.
No cricket since 27th which feels forever given normally Boxing Day Test last longer and used to be SCG Test seem to start sooner after MCG Test finished. Not sure when the SCG Test creeped into later period but it feels forever this summer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is not filling any void for me at all.
I literally hanging out bad for Sydney Test to start and wondering why it cannot start on New Year's day or the next day at worst.
No cricket since 27th which feels forever given normally Boxing Day Test last longer and used to be SCG Test seem to start sooner after MCG Test finished. Not sure when the SCG Test creeped into later period but it feels forever this summer.

So the test match occurs on a friday through to sunday.

If it started on the 3rd jan tomorrow it would be a monday-friday test with everyone returning to work on tuesday.

Pushed it back till the 5th so its Wednesday to sunday test. Pink day is on a Friday and back end of test if it lasts that long is on the weekend.

I do not like it. So many people on holidays that what day the Test starts should not be a major concern during Christmas and January period.
Maybe it my imagination but I thought the SCG Test used to actually start on New Year's day more often than not. But it just feels like it got so far away from it now. This is an empty void right now with no Test cricket and would be perfect right now and yesterday to sit down and enjoy a few cold drinks, watch the cricket with others and just chat away whilst enjoying it.

I do not like it. So many people on holidays that what day the Test starts should not be a major concern during Christmas and January period.
Maybe it my imagination but I thought the SCG Test used to actually start on New Year's day more often than not. But it just feels like it got so far away from it now. This is an empty void right now with no Test cricket and would be perfect right now and yesterday to sit down and enjoy a few cold drinks, watch the cricket with others and just chat away whilst enjoying it.
The Sydney test has started on New Year's Day twice. In 1931 and 1995.

The Sydney test has started on New Year's Day twice. In 1931 and 1995.
Actually, I just randomly clicked in 1989 to see when it was and was
4th Test
26–30 January 1989
Scorecard
so it probably was a case of an ODI at SCG on New Year's day or Jan 2nd at worst most years when grew up following cricket on channel 9 in summer.

Actually, I just randomly clicked in 1989 to see when it was and was
4th Test
26–30 January 1989
Scorecard
so it probably was a case of an ODI at SCG on New Year's day or Jan 2nd at worst most years when grew up following cricket on channel 9 in summer.

Yeah fair enough its worse this summer because the Melbourne test was over before lunch on day 3.

So effectively 3 days were wasted with no cricket on when it was scheduled.

I think everyone agrees that there are too many games and that the season is too long. Increasing the number of teams means that a drop in the number of total matches is minimised should the season be scaled back to each team playing the other once. But obviously there may not be the depth of talent there, but increasing the number of internationals might address this. If the season is shorter it is more likely that quality overseas players will come, provided the money is decent.

Everybody HERE agrees season should be shortened, but most ppl here don't even follow the league or form part of the target audience which is very young.

Bbl makes cricket money & in turn makes money for broadcasters & gives advertiser what they want. There's no reason for competition to downsize - certainly not to appease old timers who miss the past.

There's every chance the league will extend the entire length of the season in future just based on business benefits. That may come after a regime change at ca but the potential is too great.

If it started on the 3rd jan tomorrow it would be a monday-friday test with everyone returning to work on tuesday.

Pushed it back till the 5th so its Wednesday to sunday test. Pink day is on a Friday and back end of test if it lasts that long is on the weekend.

This hasn't always mattered to CA. In the 2010's, there were two Sydney tests starting on a Sunday (2010 & 2016), one on a Monday (2011) and three on a Tuesday (2012, 2015* & 2017).

* the 2015 started on January 6 as opposed to January 3 which was the normal start date for Sydney tests in 2010's.

Everybody HERE agrees season should be shortened, but most ppl here don't even follow the league or form part of the target audience which is very young.

Bbl makes cricket money & in turn makes money for broadcasters & gives advertiser what they want. There's no reason for competition to downsize - certainly not to appease old timers who miss the past.

There's every chance the league will extend the entire length of the season in future just based on business benefits. That may come after a regime change at ca but the potential is too great.
If you are going to put forward your own arguments all good, but there is no need for condescending, disrespectful bullsh*t like this.

Last edited:
People have lost interest in T20 cricket in local cricket as well.Some clubs do not even field sides and prefer to focus on training for the Saturday competitions on Tuesday nights.
Yeah I hate playing T20s at the local level there's alot of players that end up not really get much of a go at anything if they're a middle order batter.

Yeah I hate playing T20s at the local level there's alot of players that end up not really get much of a go at anything if they're a middle order batter.
I'm not advocating one way or another regarding this, but I was speaking to a lady friend of mine who has a 9yo son. She got a cricket team in his age group together and is their manager.

She said they play 20/20 matches, 10 a side.

Each pair bats four overs. If they are dismissed, they still stay at the wicket but lose four runs.

Each player bowls 2 overs.

So every kids gets a go and means that no kids are turned off the game by not getting a bat or bowl.

Kinda like a 20/20 version of indoor cricket I guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back